Scientists Push Back Primate Origins - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
98 SVT Cobra

Scientists Push Back Primate Origins

...From 65 Million To 85 Million Years Ago
taken from Science Daily - dated 4/18/02

CHICAGO - New research that accounts for gaps (LOL GAPS!) in the fossil record challenges traditional methods of interpreting fossils and constructing evolutionary trees. Applying a new statistical approach to primates demonstrates that this group-from which humans developed-originated 85 million years ago (Mya) rather than 65 Mya, as is widely accepted.
This revision has implications throughout the evolutionary tree of primates, including the time of origin of the human lineage. Key findings from the new approach to interpreting the fossil record include:

* Primates originated while dinosaurs still roamed the earth. (WOW, No way! Ya think?)This challenges the widely accepted theory that primates could not establish a foothold until the end of the Cretaceous (65 Mya) when an asteroid cleared the way by hitting the earth and wiping out dinosaurs. (Asumptions )

* If times of divergence within the primate tree are revised accordingly, it is likely that the divergence of humans from chimps occurred about 8 Mya rather than 5 Mya. (Yeah, OK, Whatever)

* An earlier origin for primates makes it very likely that continental drift played an important part in initial geographical subdivisions within primates. (More asumptions )

* The new approach supports previously disputed (What? Disputed? LOL)findings from several molecular evolutionary trees calibrated with fossil dates from better-known parts of the mammalian tree. Calibrations outside the primates include mammal-like reptiles, horses and cetaceans (whales, dolphins and porpoises), where the fossil record is much more complete.

* Using the fossil record to date the origin of any group for which the fossil record is sparse (including certain other mammals, such as bats) is unreliable. (I have been saying this all along, Thank you Science Daily!)

"Current interpretations of primate and human evolution are flawed(But it is science, it can't be flawed) because paleontologists have relied too heavily on direct interpretation of the known fossil record," says Robert D. Martin, PhD, vice president of academic affairs at The Field Museum and co-author of the research to be published in Nature April 18, 2002. "Our calculations indicate that we have fossil evidence for only about 5% of all extinct primates, so it's as if paleontologists have been trying to reconstruct a 1,000-piece jigsaw puzzle using just 50 pieces." (Duh! Hello, it is about time! I am glad someone woke up and smelled the coffee.)

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 08:57 AM
Lifer

LOL

So what exactly is your opinion on all of this? It is still saying man evolved from chimps.

And yes, science IS flawed. But they are working on removing the flaws all the time. Remember how I said that every so often a discovery will turn the scientific community upside-down? Well, it could very well be happening here. It isn't dogma.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
98 SVT Cobra

My point to all of this is that man thinks that he is so smart. But everyday there are new discoveries that prove how stupid man really is, or should I say ignorant? Man isn't really stupid, just ignorant. But they always give out the information like it is the greatest discovery of today, only to find out a year later that they were wrong. One reason I dont put my faith in very much I hear coming from science.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog
My point to all of this is that man thinks that he is so smart. But everyday there are new discoveries that prove how stupid man really is, or should I say ignorant? Man isn't really stupid, just ignorant. But they always give out the information like it is the greatest discovery of today, only to find out a year later that they were wrong. One reason I dont put my faith in very much I hear coming from science.
Me neither as the Word of God has never failed!

Lee
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by speedpro50
Me neither as the Word of God has never failed!

Lee
You got that right Lee. The Word of God has stood the test of time. He is the same yesterday, today and forevermore. He is unchanging, unlike science that changes everyday.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 11:42 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog
You got that right Lee. The Word of God has stood the test of time. He is the same yesterday, today and forevermore. He is unchanging, unlike science that changes everyday.
Yet he wanted blood sacrifice in the OT, but not anymore after the NT. He was wrathful in the OT, but kind and gentle in the NT. He vowed to never wipe out the Earth again ... yet supposedly Revelations is supposed to be happening soon in which most of the Earth will be wiped out. Sounds unchanging to me.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement