Could someone please explain... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Could someone please explain...

...the differences between all the Christian denominations? That is something that has confused me for a long time. I know the Catholics hold the Virgin Mary in high esteem, and Baptists hate premarital dancing but what do Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, etc... have as their 'speciality'? Why should there be so many different sects of what is basically the same religion? And why does it seem like new sects are considered 'cults' (I saw someone mention that Mormonism is a cult) and only old sects accepted as denominations? This is all so confusing to a young heathen.

Thanks again JC for letting me post in this forum. I appreciate the opportunity to learn something about other's beliefs (no sarcasm here at all).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 06:37 PM
98 SVT Cobra

I can't say that I know alot about some of the other denominations, but I would guess that most of the differences are mainly a difference in interpretation in salvation (works or faith), or do miracles still happen today, or spiritual gifts like speaking in tongues or healings. Stuff like that. They all have more in common then differences. In my opinion all of the denominations are good as long as they are "bible-believing" and do not change what the bible says.

I myself go to a non-denominational church. We are labeled a christian church, plain and simple.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 11:27 PM
None

Interesting question....I did some looking on google and quite surprisingly i didn't find much. My guess is that the theological differences are so vast it's more sutible for a book than a website.

I'll keep looking and post what I find here.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 11:48 PM
None

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 08:54 AM
Boost is Good

Re: Could someone please explain...

Quote:
Originally posted by 46Tbird
...the differences between all the Christian denominations? That is something that has confused me for a long time. I know the Catholics hold the Virgin Mary in high esteem, and Baptists hate premarital dancing but what do Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, etc... have as their 'speciality'? Why should there be so many different sects of what is basically the same religion? And why does it seem like new sects are considered 'cults' (I saw someone mention that Mormonism is a cult) and only old sects accepted as denominations? This is all so confusing to a young heathen.
Major Simularities---
Belief Christ died on the cross for the sins of the whole world

Major Differences---
Sacraments of Holy Baptism
Comunion
Music
<---- I am Lutheran, so you can ask me anything u want to know about the Lutheran faith.

Quote:
Originally posted by 46Tbird
Thanks again JC for letting me post in this forum. I appreciate the opportunity to learn something about other's beliefs (no sarcasm here at all).
Hey man, its cool to have you in here, u are one of the few on the board that can discuss your views about God without vulgar language or comments. I respect that about you.

Stand by or fight while Obama wages his war against capitalism...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 09:29 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Lance pretty much summed it up.

I'm Church of Christ-(And actually My particular C.O.C congregation's belief is different than the traditional hardcore "everyone besides C.O.C is going to hell" beliefs)

Major difference from other denominations (and let's face it, were all denominations):

Belief in taking the Lord's Supper every Sunday
Baptism to be saved not "because" you're saved
No Music during worship service

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Monsoon X

Major difference from other denominations (and let's face it, were all denominations):
JC - How are we all denominations? There won't be any denominations in heaven.

Lee
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 09:39 AM
Banned

Here is a link that has SOME good info about different denominations and religions.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_denom.htm
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 09:48 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by speedpro50

JC - How are we all denominations? There won't be any denominations in heaven.

Lee
ummm, He probably said that because I said I went to a NON-DENOMINATIONAL church. JC is always stiring the pot alittle.

By non-denominational, I mean that our church caters to people of every faith. It would probably be more accurate to say that we are inter-denominational. There are people that go there that have come from many different churches and even religions. I know people that were Hindu, Jewish, Mormon, the list goes on and on. I myself grew up Baptist (not southern) and my wife Catholic.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 09:57 AM
Crash Test Dummy

I say denomination because we are all slightly different in our beliefs, just like we have been saying throughout this entire thread.

This difference is what unites the people who attend each different church.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 10:00 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog

ummm, He probably said that because I said I went to a NON-DENOMINATIONAL church. JC is always stiring the pot alittle.

By non-denominational, I mean that our church caters to people of every faith. It would probably be more accurate to say that we are inter-denominational. There are people that go there that have come from many different churches and even religions. I know people that were Hindu, Jewish, Mormon, the list goes on and on. I myself grew up Baptist (not southern) and my wife Catholic.
But what do they believe now that they are members?

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
I say denomination because we are all slightly different in our beliefs, just like we have been saying throughout this entire thread.

My point is that you don't find anything positive taught about denominations anywhere in the NT.

Moondog -- inter-denominational -- I can't stand that because to me that is saying our church accepts all religion and beliefs. Like saying, yeah, we have a mixture here. The church is not supposed to be a melting pot of religion, it is to be a body of united believers in Christ and Him alone!

Why does the word have to be used today? Because of men! When someone asks me what type of church I go to, I say a Bible church. We believe the Bible!
Lee
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 10:16 AM
Crash Test Dummy

I don't like the word interdenominational either.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 10:22 AM
Boost is Good

Quote:

I am with JC on this one... Denomination more or less unites people in their interpretation of the Bible. Yes we all say we believe in the Bible, but we all interpret it differently. Even non-denominational churchs are a denomination because they serve a common interpretation belief of the Bible. But if you want to look at it this way, we (us Christians) are under one denomination (the Body of Christ)

de·nom·i·na·tion Pronunciation Key (d-nm-nshn)
n.
A large group of religious congregations united under a common faith and name and organized under a single administrative and legal hierarchy.

Stand by or fight while Obama wages his war against capitalism...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 10:37 AM
None

I would also say that it is not healthy to go around picking and choosing denominations. All it will do for you is give you critical ideas of each denomination. You will look at everything with a cynical heart. You will end up saying, "Hmmm, is that really what I should believe, is that more right than what so-and-so denomination says?" You will probably never find a denomination that says everything you want it too. You can find something wrong with every denomination if you are trying to. If your aim is to find out what is wrong with a denomination, then that is what you will find. You will end up looking for something that you want to believe, instead of looking for God's word. The devil is at work in you when you are being critical of a denomination. Instead of looking for God, you could end up looking for yourself and the things that will satisfy you.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 10:48 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:

But what do they believe now that they are members?
They/We believe the bible is the inerrant word of God.

Covenant Church Website

Frequently Asked Questions

Disclaimer:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement