Seventh Day Adventist thread - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy

Arrow Seventh Day Adventist thread

I stayed on the phone for about 3 hours talking to a couple of SDA guys. Trying to make them understand that we are under a new covenant and that observances for days and the like are made obsolete.

Their main point was that the 10 Commandments are now written in our hearts. While I do agree with that scripture they fail to realize that only the "moral" commandments are written on our conscience. Observance of the the Sabbath is a ceremonial law. The Bible even makes mention of the Sabbath being done away with (Hosea 2:1-11 is one of 3 or 4 verses)

They also like to point out the Jesus observed the Sabbath. But in actuallity he broke it and his disciples did also. (their counter was that Jesus didn't do work but it is permissible to work for God) They brought up the point of Jesus being the Lord of the Sabbath. (they stumped me on that one) but, were supposed to be hooking up in person this coming Fri, night. And I have my answer for that one.

It's been interesting but, I have plenty to show them.

Note: If observance of the Sabbath is so important and if breaking this commandment is so evil then why is not mention even once in the NT as a sin? When the NT makes a list of sins, all the "moral" commandments are listed. No where is the Sabbath brought up.

Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 10:35 AM
Boost is Good

just for refrence, can we get a seven day adventist 101 lesson here. Dont know too much about their faith, can anyone sum up what and how they believe in a short paragraph or two.

Stand by or fight while Obama wages his war against capitalism...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy

From what I understand

They believe in Jesus as God's son and that he is the way to salvation.

They believe in baptism

They believe that the we should still honor the Sabbath.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 10:47 AM
Banned

Seventh-day Adventism has remained a controversial and misunderstood group throughout its history. Evangelicals have often been divided as to how Adventism should be classified. Adventism has long born the stigma of being called a cult. Since Seventh-day Adventism does officially accept the foundational doctrines of historic Christianity (the inspiration and authority of the Bible, the Trinity, Christ's true deity, His bodily resurrection, and salvation by grace through faith) we do not believe that it should be classified as a cult. It is our conviction that one cannot be a true Jehovah's Witness, Mormon, Christian Scientist, etc., and be a practicing Christian in the biblical sense of the word; but it is possible to be a Seventh-day Adventist and a true follower of Jesus, despite certain distinctive Adventist doctrines which we consider to be unbiblical.

This does not mean that we endorse the entire theological system of Adventism, since a portion of it is definitely out of the mainstream of historic Christian theology. This is seen in their acceptance of Sabbatarianism, extinction of the soul upon death, and their belief that the destiny of the wicked is annihilation. Though we adamantly disagree with Adventists regarding these above mentioned doctrines, it should be added that one could hold these views and remain a believing Christian. In other words, these doctrines do not secure nor necessarily inhibit salvation.

Excerpt from an article @ www.equip.org
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 11:16 AM
98 SVT Cobra

The ten commandments are not the only laws that are listed in the old testament, as I am sure you are aware of. If they are going to follow the ten, then they must also follow all 100+ that is listed.

Ask them if they sleep with their wifes during their time of the month. Everything a woman lies on of sits on is deamed unclean and if you touch her in anyway, you are unclean. Ask them if they us an outhouse, God says you are not supposed to relieve yourself inside your dwelling. Gentiles were never commanded to be circumsised only Abraham and his desendants, yet we do it, why? What about burnt offerings?

My point is, if they follow one they must follow all. There is no middle ground, these people only follow the laws that they want to.

Paul dealt with questions about the covenants in several letters. He considered himself a minister of the old covenant or of the new? (2 Corinthians 3:1-10)

The stone tablets under discussion here are the tablets Moses carried when his face shown in glory. The tablets contained "the words of the [old] covenant -- the Ten Commandments" (Ex. 34:28). This is the ministry that brought death and condemnation.

The law, written in stone, required death for transgression. It did not give righteousness or salvation (Gal. 2:21). But the new covenant brings the Holy Spirit and life and righteousness. The old covenant could not cleanse the conscience, but the new covenant is written on the heart. It changes our hearts in a way that an external law cannot. The old covenant was temporary. It was glorious in its time, but its glory has faded because a greater glory is now here.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy

Hey check this out. This is going to be a series of talks that me and these fellows are going to have. We are tentatively trying to GTG this Friday night. Would any of you guys like to come?

Lee, Lance, Moondog (what's your name?)

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 12:16 PM
None

When i read the Old Testament, and saw the laws and punishments given inside, I considered the time that they were living in. They really had no government, so their way of controlling the masses was to set rules of their civilization down to where people would obey. What better way then to put the fear of God into them.
It was a very harsh and brutal time period, but as civilization progressed (that's debatable sometimes) the system of punishment progressed alongside.

Example: back then, people probably wouldn't think twice about relieving themselves in a corner of their home. But as time passsed, be've become more sanitary and have advanced to where we don't have chamber pots and other stuff. As for toilets, they flush sending the waste outside the domicile.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 01:20 PM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Originally posted by Monsoon X
Hey check this out. This is going to be a series of talks that me and these fellows are going to have. We are tentatively trying to GTG this Friday night. Would any of you guys like to come?

well, Id like to help a brotha out, but I'll be going to waco on Fri to visit parents. Sorry dog, maybe next time.

Stand by or fight while Obama wages his war against capitalism...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 01:39 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
.....Moondog (what's your name?)
Geez, Talked with you two weeks ago at MMCM and you forget already. You youngsters just dont know how important it is to remember the things that matter most.

I would like to make it but I think I have something going on this Friday, we usually have a small home group that meets the first Friday of the month. But I will let you know if I can make it. Just let me know when and where. BTW, the name is Randy.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 11:15 AM
Geaux Saints!!

Quote:

Have you decided on a location?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy

Actually Kris, I'm going to reschedule. I want to go a Prophecy Convention in Arlington this Friday.

www.endtime.com

It should be realy good

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 11:20 AM
Geaux Saints!!

Quote:
Actually Kris, I'm going to reschedule. I want to go a Prophecy Convention in Arlington this Friday.

www.endtime.com

It should be realy good
Kool. Let me know what day your planning on doing this, because I would really like to attend. I've often wondered about their religion, and this would be an excellent chance to learn something about it, plus I 've got to go back home this weekend to help cleanup from the hurrican a few weeks ago.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 11:28 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:

www.endtime.com

It should be realy good
I have a different view on prophecy too. But, I love talking about this type of stuff, it is my favorite subject.

The Case for the Pre Wrath Rapture

Disclaimer:
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 10:10 PM
IA2

Quote:

www.endtime.com

It should be realy good
I used to listen to their radio show when I worked in town and I get their mag. Baxter makes some interesting points, and what he says gets me to thinking and reading scripture so it's all good.

It is interesting how the events we see going on around us seem to match up to endtime bible prophesy.

I always wanted to go to one of his conferences to check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement