Mormon Thread - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Boost is Good

Mormon Thread

Hey guys, havent done much research into this, was wondering what the differences between the Christian faith and the Mormon faith?

Stand by or fight while Obama wages his war against capitalism...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 09:22 AM
Renegade Vette owner

I've researched this ad nauseum, and taught several classes on it.

I do not have time to get into all the specifics this morning. You may want to go to your church and see if they have the video "The God Makers" in the media library. It gives a very good explanation of the Mormon faith.

Here are some common roots of this heretical "theology":

-Joseph Smith, and his teachings, supersede those of Jesus Christ
Along these lines, we know that many, many of J. Smith's prophecies were proven to be false, and as Scripture emphatically teaches, he should now be considered a false prophet...of course the Mormons don't feel this way.

-someday those who reach the pinnacle of the Mormon faith will be a "god" of their own little universe

-No salvation without accepting Joseph Smith and his teachings

-the "claim" to believe in the Bible, but believe it has been translated incorrectly (blame this on the Catholics, actually) and thus cannot be fully trusted.

-The Book of Mormon is the _true_ Word of God...of course they also believe that it can be changed and edited. In fact, since 1830 it has undergone over 3000 changes.

-Whoever is the current "living prophet" speaks the Word of God (thus, you can have changes in the very theology that Joseph Smith, the founder, presented).

-Joseph Smith writes: "We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and His Son Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost". Sounds ok. But the fact is that they do NOT believe in the Trinity. They believe that there are _many_ gods, and that God himself was once a man.
Here's an example from J. Smith's "Journal of Discourses"..."In the beginning, the head of the Gods called a council of the Gods; and they came together and concocted a plan to create and populate the world..." and another, "The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man's."

-Jesus Christ was a pre-existing spirit just like the rest of us. He was just the firstborn of God's spirit-children. These pre-existing spirits are one reason they tend to have very large families. They want to "free" these spirits and allow them to become humans and start the process of becoming "gods" someday.

-with regards to these pre-existing spirits, you may have heard that _at one time_ (they've now denounced this...just another example of how their theology changes) if you were black then you were from the "evil" spirit camp. They believe in a "fall of the devil", too...and that Satan took a number of these spirits with him...and they were "cursed" with black skin once they became human. COMPLETELY and UTTERLY absurd and abhorrant...and eventually the Mormons agreed, enough to change this portion of the doctrine of J. Smith.

-they do not believe in a literal hell. Some people will just not make it to the ultimate glorified state.

I could go on.

Quite simply put...its a cult.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 11:52 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Mormons are taught that Jesus and Lucifer are spirit brothers; that Jesus died for Adam's sin only and we must each work out our own salvation for our own sins, (at one time, it was taught that some sins were so heinous that they must be paid for with the sinnerís own blood as Jesus' blood was not sufficient. This is why one of the choices of capital punishment for a prisoner in Utah is still death by a firing squad, so that the blood of the prisoner will fall to the earth as mandated by Brigham Young); there are three heavens and no place of punishment as the Bible describes it, rather a temporary "spirit prison"; the Mormon church is the only true church on the face of the earth and all other churches, clergy, and creeds are apostate and an abomination in God's sight according to Joseph Smith.

Mormon theology teaches: God lives on a planet called "Kolob" with his many celestial wives, having sex continually with them all to produce 'spirit children' to populate this planet.

Decker's Complete Handbook on Mormonism (p. 227-228) quotes Oscar W. McConkie Jr., a leader of the LDS church at one time where he wrote:

"The designation Father is to be taken literally; it signifies that the Supreme Being is the literal Parent or Father of the spirits of all men (Hebrews 12:9). All men, Christ included, were born as his children in pre-existence. (Doctrine and Covenants 93:21-23; Moses 1-4; Abraham 3:22-28.)

It is only by understanding the real and literal sense in which God is our Father that we are able to understand what is meant by the Fatherhood of God and the Brotherhood of Man. In addition to the fact that all men are brothers in the sense that all have descended from Adam, they are also brothers in that they have the same personal Father who begat them in the spirit (Doctrine, p. 278).

Remember, Mormons look at God as a literal father who was their physical, actual father in the preexistence. They look upon this man/god with love and respect. The term is perhaps the most common name of God used by the LDS people.

Joseph Smith regularly used the term as his familiar name for God. His usage instilled in his followers a belief in a special physical relationship with God.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!

Last edited by MoonDog; 10-16-2002 at 11:54 AM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 12:54 PM
Banned

There is a fantastic resource written not long ago about the history of the mormon church. It is written by a Christian scholar and it quite accurately shows the thousands of problems with mormonism. It is a complete history and the title of the book is "One Nation Under Gods". My wife finished reading it (about 600 pages) just 2 weeks ago. She has since then passed the highpoints onto me. One of the great teachers at our church used to live in Idaho which the city they were in (as he was a pastor of a doctrinally sound Christian church) was 87% mormon. They have many good bits of info they have passed onto to me as well as they worked closely with displeased mormons by shedding ligh ton the truth found in God's word. I know that Joseph Smith is a crook, the BOM is full of error, Mormonis is closely linked with Masons, and it is a cult. This sums it up and what MoonDog and Wes said above is good info!

Lee
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 08:22 PM
Geaux Saints!!

I've wanted to ask that question before, but I didn't want to offend anyone. But since we are on the subject...Can anyone elaborate on the"7th Day advetice" relegion, or Jehova Witness?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 09:19 PM
Renegade Vette owner

Kris,

It's been a long day, and I'm pretty tired tonight but I will do my best to explain the major points of their theology as well...tomorrow.

7th Day Adventists/Jehovah's Witnesses

Be wary of "The Watchtower". Lots of good sounding stuff, and they proclaim to believe in the Bible...yet they contradict it often.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 08:01 AM
Geaux Saints!!

Quote:
Originally posted by WA 2 FST
Kris,

It's been a long day, and I'm pretty tired tonight but I will do my best to explain the major points of their theology as well...tomorrow.

7th Day Adventists/Jehovah's Witnesses

Be wary of "The Watchtower". Lots of good sounding stuff, and they proclaim to believe in the Bible...yet they contradict it often.
That I know on a first hand basis. If I have some time today, I'll post up what I've found out.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 09:32 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by WA 2 FST
I used to read the Watchtower. The apt. that we used to live in had them in the laundry room and I would steal all of them so no one else could read them. There was alot of stuff that you would think sounded good and could be true but infact was nothing but lies. They would stretch the truth so to speak and make the Jehovahs Witnesses sound like a really great religion.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 09:34 AM
Geaux Saints!!

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog

I used to read the Watchtower. The apt. that we used to live in had them in the laundry room and I would steal all of them so no one else could read them. There was alot of stuff that you would think sounded good and could be true but infact was nothing but lies. They would stretch the truth so to speak and make the Jehovahs Witnesses sound like a really great religion.
One thing that has always confused me about them is that if you ever pass a Kingdom Hall, how come they never have any windows?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 11:36 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by Kris

One thing that has always confused me about them is that if you ever pass a Kingdom Hall, how come they never have any windows?
I cant say that I have ever noticed. I have a friend that is a JW. I will ask him.

Disclaimer:
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 01:23 AM
Extreme Edge

Location: Revival land, come on in and see what the fuss is all about!
thanks guys, that is excellent info. i had no idea that they differed so much from us. i went to a bible study with a freind who is mormon and didn't really notice a difference, except for the 2 book thing. but that is great information. thanks guys.
john
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 03:12 AM
TWIN SPINNER

Jehovah's Witness are of the same strain as Moromons. Like Mormons the Jehovah's Witnesses theology was dreamed up by a man of questionable integrity. While they do not use extra-Biblical text the version of the Bible they do use is far removed from any translation that I am aware of. They don't hold to the trinity either. Jesus is not God but a prophet. It is also a works based religion. It is also their belief that only 144,000 of them will actually reach Heaven. It does not stop there however, that is all that comes to mind presently.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 08:42 AM
Renegade Vette owner

There is one thing that is to be admired about these two cults.

They go out and _actively_ share their beliefs. Most of them truly "live" what they believe.

I get people from both these cults knocking on my door every now and then. When was the last time someone from a true, Bible-believing, Christian church came and knocked on your door?
Sadly, I cannot remember.

I'm not saying we should all be standing on the street corners, beating people over the head with a Bible. It may be just as simple as helping a neighbor rake leaves in his yard or build a new fence.

At the same time, if we had even a 1/4 of the passion towards spreading the TRUE gospel as Mormons and JWs do for their religion, we would certainly be more effective.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not praising the "cult" itself...just the passion of its people---who sadly enough have been deceived.

90 LX 5.0 (10.xx @ 135)...SOLD 9/3/02...my original "baby"...Super Ford feature 1/00
Current Stable:
04 SVT Lightning
02 Lingenfelter Twin Turbo Z06
05 Ram SRT-10
08 Yukon Denali 6.2
09 GT500 'vert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement