Just out of curiosity - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Just out of curiosity

Anyone ever read any of "The Vampire Chronicles", by Anne Rice? Specifically "Memnoch The Devil", but touched on a bit in "Tale of The Body Theif" as well.

"Memnoch" is an interesting read. It's the story of the vampire Lestat, how he was stalked by the Devil, and taken through history, to Heaven and to Hell, as Memnoch (the Devil) pleads his case to Lestat to become his lieutenant, and an adversary to God in a battle that has been going on since the beginning of mankind ... a battle that Memnoch is winning, but he's growing tired of it. He needs help.

I say it's an interesting read, because it's peppered throughout with what I'm sure is Anne's personal interpretation of the Bible, and Biblical events, and the origins of man, The Fall, etc... She raises some interesting points about the nature of God and the Devil.

I recommend picking it up and giving it a read. There's nothing in it that will challenge your faith, or anything petty like that. It's just an interesting read, because it's an interpretation that you don't normally see.

Maybe it's just me that finds it interesting. But then again, I like hearing others views, and their beliefs ... especially when they differ from the norm.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 06:48 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Although I really enjoy Anne Rice's work I didn't have an interest in reading any of the Vampire books. (I guess once you read about Vamp. you've read them all.)

I particulary enjoyed the Witching Hour, Lasher and Taltos series I also enjoyed (hahahaha) her writings under the name Anne Rouleqete sp? Namely the Beauty novels.

She's a talented writer.

I guess I'll have to read the Vamp novels.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Yeah, definitely give 'em a go. She has a unique take on vampires, their origins, their powers, etc. Not your standard Count Dracula fare

I picked up "The Witching Hour" and "Lasher" back to back about 5 years ago, but as of yet, I haven't been able to get into 'em. I'm on my 2nd go through the Vampire Chronicles (about 3/4 through "Memnoch" now), afterwards I think I'll try going through "The Witching Hour" again.

DarkWolf

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 06:14 PM
Crash Test Dummy

The Witching Hour is actually really boring until you're about 3/4 finished with the book, then it gets REALLY interesting

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Ahhh, that explains it. I only get about a 1/4 through it and just can't bring myself to go on.

Since then, I've read JRR Tolkien's "The Silmarillion" ... which is much the same, a very boring read until you get about halfway through it ... so might have some luck this time

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement