Spirtual gifts - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

Spirtual gifts

Give me your oppinions,
Or If you know what yours is, how you came to know that and use it.
(Just to be clear, Im asking about supernatural gifts given by the Spirit, talked about in 1st Cor 12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 11:16 AM
Boost is Good

"Spiritual Gifts" are... "Grace Gifts" or "Grace Endowments" that Christians receive from God in the form of "Skills," "Abilities," and "Talents" through which God desires to channel His energy and power as a means of strengthening the Body and bringing glory to His Name
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 03:54 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Examples? I've got an idea, but want to be sure.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 07:57 AM
Banned

Some would say there are 9, but I believe there are 27 according to scripture. You can find examples of spiritual gifts in Ephesians 4, I Corinthians 12-14, etc. These are gifts such as prophecy, tongues, helps, faith, miracles, etc. Each Chilg of God has at least 1 gift (can operate in many of a lifetime) God has specially given us.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 08:31 AM
My other car's a mini-van

Let's talk about 'tongues'. Who believes in them and why?

Just curious.

I believe that some have this gift, but I'm not sure how it edifies(sp?) anyone - other than that person's own spirit, as Paul talked about.

Opinions?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Lane
Let's talk about 'tongues'. Who believes in them and why?

Just curious.

I believe that some have this gift, but I'm not sure how it edifies(sp?) anyone - other than that person's own spirit, as Paul talked about.

Opinions?
I would think that to NOT believe in the spiritual gift of tongues you would be denying the scriptures. (1 Corin. 14:39) I do feel that many people create the gift rather than it coming from God. If it comes from God, it is certainly RIGHT. The gift of tongues is used in a couple of different ways.

1. personal edification (1 Corin. 14:4) - aka "praying in the spirit"
-- this builds up ones faith in communication with God in a heavenly language--Paul thanked God that he spoke in tongues more than us all!

2. edification of the church body -- when someone has a message from God in tongues, the interpreter simply translates the message for the body. It could be prophesy, a word of knowledge, a vision for the body, and so on.

REMEMBER: It all comes back to LOVE!

1 Corinthians 13:1
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by speedpro50
2. edification of the church body -- when someone has a message from God in tongues, the interpreter simply translates the message for the body. It could be prophesy, a word of knowledge, a vision for the body, and so on.

REMEMBER: It all comes back to LOVE!

1 Corinthians 13:1
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
I agree it is a true gift from God. But, all the times I've witnessed it, which isn't many, it was in a group and there wasn't an interpreter. And it was just confusing...

In a church where there are many with this gift and they are speaking in tongues, but there is not interpreter - will the Pastor speak up and say enough - since it is not edifying the body? 1 Cor. 14. Not trying to come across as cynical here, but the times I've witnessed it, it was more of a distraction than anything else...

I would like to hear some examples of when someone was speaking in tongues and there was and interpreter. That would be interesting - anybody have any?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 09:43 AM
Banned

Most of the times when I have heard people speak in tongues (a few do at my church ever so often) it is in prayer. I view it as a personal thing between them and God and it is done quietly and in order. If it becomes a nuisance or is noisy or causes confusion, I to, would be sceptical. Not critical, but sceptical! We are to hold things up to the Word of God to see if it is biblical or not. Don't do or follow anything that is not in line with scripture. There have been occasions (2 or 3) when there has been 1 person speak in tongues and been an interpreter. One time the interpreter was the person who spoke in tongues. Another time it was the pastor. Another time it was a lady in the church! (here goes another discussion!) It was inspired of God, no doubt!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by speedpro50
Most of the times when I have heard people speak in tongues (a few do at my church ever so often) it is in prayer. I view it as a personal thing between them and God and it is done quietly and in order. If it becomes a nuisance or is noisy or causes confusion, I to, would be sceptical. Not critical, but sceptical! We are to hold things up to the Word of God to see if it is biblical or not. Don't do or follow anything that is not in line with scripture. There have been occasions (2 or 3) when there has been 1 person speak in tongues and been an interpreter. One time the interpreter was the person who spoke in tongues. Another time it was the pastor. Another time it was a lady in the church! (here goes another discussion!) It was inspired of God, no doubt!
Cool. Hey, women have gifts too..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement