The Bible - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy

The Bible

Why the Bible is more than just a "book with good stuff in it"

After Genesis,the Bible covers a period of roughly 1500yrs. It is a collection of accounts written through Godly men from God (2 Timothy 3:16) It is more than a mere collection of stories and historical narratives. Although the different books were written at totally different times, they exist in perfect harmony. The Bible was written by Farmers, Kings, Sheepherders, schooled and the unschooled. It was written in palaces and in prisons. Yet none of the thoughts and words contradict each other. The literary styles are diverse but they are all interwoven into a composite and unified whole.

It was written originally in 3 languages, and written on 3 different continents yet the themes never contradict each other.

Also, over a quarter of the Bible is prophetic at the time they were written and these prophesies stand alone in the graphic detail, accuracy and scope. And all the prophetic writers were accurate in their descriptions of events! (physic?)

Other religious books and mythical accounts are written in the format of "long ago and far away". And they are completely unverifiable; there is no way to support or examine them with historical evidence. The Bible backs history!(example Luke 3:1-2)

Now lets discuss the product. This book has influenced many cultures. It has been translated from the original foreign language manuscripts yet it doesn't lose it's original meanings. (1 Peter 1:10-12)

Also, the Bible is basically a book of good clean living. Just imagine if everyone would do exactly what the Bible says we should do. We wouldn't need police. Just think about it for a second.
The basic theme of the New Testament (Jesus' teachings) was love for the Father and for one another. It's that simple.
How can a regular ol' piece of fiction, written during a period of scientific and psycological immaturity, prescribe such a good insight into how to get along with one another? We give human's too much credit to have written "fairy tales", to be this good!

The reason people still miss the mark is because of their own evil desires and a lack of diligence and faith to read God's word and DO GOD'S WORD!

After all this time, roughly 2k years, the Bible is still yet to be disproved by anyone. When people set out to find a fallacy in the Bible they wind up believing. WHY?! ( Read: 2 Samuel 22:31,1 Peter 1:24-25,Matthew 24:35)

Last edited by Monsoon X; 09-19-2002 at 02:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 03:12 PM
Banned

thats good!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 07:42 PM
Blessed

Well put.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy

TTT for Darkwolf

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 08:33 AM
Banned

TTT again for DW~~~~
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 01:24 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Heheh, I should have known this was targeted at me

Where have I read that before? Did you copy that from somewhere, because I know I've read that almost exact same post, months ago, on another board that I was involved with a religious discussion. Are you involved with the Project Majestic Mix boards by chance? I'm not being facitious.

Anyway, the prophetic nature is not solid evidence of it's divine influence. What prophecies do you speak of? It's one thing to prophecise something early on in the book, and the prophecy being fulfilled later in the book ... it's wholly another thing to prophecise something, and it being fulfilled long after the book was written. I have read the Bible in it's entirety. Sure, it's been a while, but I still read various parts. I don't make it a habit to read it from cover to cover on a regular basis. I don't recall any biblical prophecies being fulfilled outside the scope of the original work. If you would care to list them for me, I would appreciate it.

I've never claimed that the Bible is false. I've never claimed it wasn't divinely inspired. I have said that it's possible. Being written in 3 languages, and over 3 continents doesn't mean it wasn't concieved by man. I didn't say A man ... but man, as in mankind. However far fetched the possibility is, there is still that possibility. I don't believe it, but I recognize it. The problem is, we don't give humans enough credit for their imagination, their creativity. We may be flawed, imperfect beings, but our imagination is infinite. Our creativity knows no boundaries.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy

If you were to do an exhaustive search for Bible accuracy you would find many prophetic descriptions written in the Old Testament that came to fuition. And I'm not talking about just the birth of Jesus. I'm talking about kings and wars and cities being overthrown. When compared to the time that the book or epistle was written it is highly prophetic.

Why do I believe it is devinely inspired? Mainly because the Bible speaks of things when the mindframe of man couldn't possibly know what is written.

EX: Ion exchange (I believe that is the right term) The water was very bitter and the people didn't want to drink from the stream. God told Moses to place some branches from a certain tree in the water and it became suitable to drink.

When I get home I'll give you the verses and some more evidence. Scientific evidence.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 02:37 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally posted by Monsoon X
Why do I believe it is devinely inspired? Mainly because the Bible speaks of things when the mindframe of man couldn't possibly know what is written.

EX: Ion exchange (I believe that is the right term) The water was very bitter and the people didn't want to drink from the stream. God told Moses to place some branches from a certain tree in the water and it became suitable to drink.
This is something that Native Americans knew about, long before Christianity came to the New World. And I'm sure if I look at other ancient cultures, I'll find very similar knowledge. It leads me to believe that God visited many cultures, to spread his word.

DarkWolf
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 07:30 PM
Banned

Perhaps the most significant question posed to believers in our “post_Christian” culture revolves around the inspiration of Scripture. Is the Bible in fact divinely inspired or merely human in origin?

Oftentimes when quoting Scripture in witnessing situations, I’ve been challenged with the words: “Who says the Bible is true or accurate in the first place?” Although this objection often strikes terror in the heart of the average Christian, it is not really as difficult to deal with as one might think. I have found fulfilled prophecy to be an extremely effective resource in responding to this challenge. The prophetic evidences for the Bible’s trustworthiness are so overwhelming that anyone with a truly open mind will be compelled to consider the Bible’s central message: redemption in Jesus Christ.

Begin by pointing out that the Bible contains almost 500 specific prophecies concerning the birth, life, death, and resurrec_tion of Jesus Christ — some of which were made well over two thousand years prior to His birth.

For example, it was not only prophesied that Christ would be a descendant of Abraham, (Gen.12:1-3), but that He would be from the tribe of Judah (Gen. 49:10) and the house of David (Ps. 110:1); that He would be born in Bethlehem (Mic. 5:2), born of a virgin (Isa. 7:1 4), betrayed for thirty pieces of silver (Zech. 11:12f.), and also that His hands and feet would be pierced (Ps. 22:16). It is noteworthy that this last prediction was made long before crucifixion was invented as a form of capital punishment by the Persians and a thousand years before it was made common by the Romans.

It was also prophesied that Christ would be crucified with transgressors (Isa. 53:9, 12); that none of His bones would be broken (Ex. 12:46; Ps. 34:20); and that He would cry out from the cross, “My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken me?” (Ps. 22:1). Moreover, Christ’s resurrection (Ps. 16:8-11), His ascension (Ps. 68:1 8), and hundreds of other details were predicted in minute detail. These prophecies do not deal with vague generalities (as is so often the case with modern-day “prophets” and psychics); they are specific and verifiable. Each was literally fulfilled down to the smallest detail in the person of Jesus Christ.

In addition to Messianic prophecies, the Bible contains nearly 2,000 prophecies concerning almost every nation within a thousand miles of Jerusalem. I strongly suggest researching and internalizing some of these prophecies for use in witnessing situations. As an illustration let me detail the prophecy about the city of Tyre in Ezekiel 26 and its fulfillment.

Tyre was no small, obscure village. It was a great Phoenician city and a world capital for over 2,000 years. It was to the sea what mighty Babylon was to the land. Yet, in the heyday of its power, the prophet Ezekiel had the audacity to predict for it a violent future and ultimate destruction. This downfall would be due to Tyre’s flagrant wickedness and arrogance, traits that were personified in its ruler, Ittobal II, who claimed to be God.

Ezekiel predicted that many nations would come up against Tyre (Ezek. 26:3); that Babylon under Nebuchadnezzar would be the first to attack it (v. 7); that Tyre’s walls and towers would be broken down (vv. 4,9); that the stones, timbers, and debris of that great city would be thrown into the sea (v. 12); that its location would become a bare rock and a place for the drying of fishermens’ nets (vv. 4-5,14); and finally, that the city of Tyre would never be rebuilt (v.14).

History bears eloquent testimony to the fact that all this is precisely what happened. Many nations did come up against Tyre — the Babylonians, the Greeks, the Romans, the Muslims, and the Crusaders, to name a few. And Nebuchadnezzar was indeed the first of these invaders, who — after a thirteen year siege — broke down the walls and towers of mainland Tyre, thus fulfilling the first of Ezekiel’s prophecies. Nebuchadnezzar massacred all of Tyre’s inhabitants except for those who escaped to an island fortress a half mile out in the Mediterranean Sea.

Centuries after Ezekiel’s body had decomposed in his grave, Alexander the Great fulfilled a major portion of the prophecy. In order to conquer the island fortress of Tyre (without the luxury of a navy), he and his celebrated architect Diades devised one of the most brilliant engineering feats of ancient warfare. They built a causeway from Tyre’s mainland to the island fortress, using the millions of cubic feet of rubble left over on mainland Tyre. Thus Tyre was scraped bare as a rock, just as Ezekiel predicted.

The most astonishing of Ezekiel’s predictions was that Tyre would never be rebuilt. This is singularly incredible because Tyre is strategically located on the east coast of the Mediterranean Sea. It also contains the Springs of Reselain, which pump ten million gallons of fresh water daily — enough to take care of the needs of a modern city. Yet, history records that after a succession of invasions, Tyre finally and irrevocably fell in A.D. 1291 — never to be rebuilt again. Today Tyre has been humbled to the point of becoming a place for the drying of fishermens’ nets — just as Ezekiel prophesied two-and-one-half millennia ago.

This prophecy of Tyre is but one among many examples of meticulously detailed and fulfilled prophecies, any one of which is sufficient to demonstrate the truth and accuracy of Scripture. “I have spoken,” says the Lord of Hosts. The Scripture cannot be broken (John 10:35).

If it can be shown that the Bible really is the Word of God, then a host of other objections can be answered by simply referring to Scripture itself. Having demonstrated the trustworthiness of God’s Word, you can then proceed to share its central message: redemption in Jesus Christ. Remember, our goal is not to demonstrate that we are intellectually superior, but rather to use our answers as springboards or opportunities for communicating the gospel.

— Hank Hanegraaff
Christian Research Institute
www.equip.org
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 01:49 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

How about a prophecy that's been fulfilled outside of the scope of Biblical history? Tyre? Not quite. Alexander the Great died in 323 BC. As he played a major part in Tyre's downfall, that's still within the scope of Biblical history. As for Tyre never being rebuilt, that's to be expected. Troy was never rebuilt. Rome never regained it's former glory. When a civilization is laid to waste, they generally don't tend to rebuild it, and if they do, it certainly never reaches it's former glory.

As for it finally and irrevocably falling in 1291 ... why is it still in existence? It was integrated into Lebannon after WW1. It was under Ottoman rule in the 16th century. It's been under Roman rule, Egyptian, and Phonecian rule ... And it still functions as a city today. Doesn't sound much like simply a place for the drying of fishermen's nets.

DarkWolf
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
How about a prophecy that's been fulfilled outside of the scope of Biblical history? Tyre? Not quite. Alexander the Great died in 323 BC. As he played a major part in Tyre's downfall, that's still within the scope of Biblical history. As for Tyre never being rebuilt, that's to be expected. Troy was never rebuilt. Rome never regained it's former glory. When a civilization is laid to waste, they generally don't tend to rebuild it, and if they do, it certainly never reaches it's former glory.
DW- That IS outside the scope of Biblical history. It was predicted way before the civilization actually fell. It was also told with great accuracy. Why do you call it Biblical History? For it is World History!
Quote:

As for it finally and irrevocably falling in 1291 ... why is it still in existence? It was integrated into Lebannon after WW1. It was under Ottoman rule in the 16th century. It's been under Roman rule, Egyptian, and Phonecian rule ... And it still functions as a city today. Doesn't sound much like simply a place for the drying of fishermen's nets.
This is reaching. Any civilization that goes under another culture's rule no longer is what it used to be. Can you say that the Native American culture still survives? Yeah because the US has "given" them land that they already owned in the first place but, this land is no longer what it was when the Native Americans ruled it.

Last edited by Monsoon X; 10-07-2002 at 07:11 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 09:29 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I say it's still within Biblical history, because it happened within the timeframe given in the Bible (minus Revelations).

It's not something that happened, say for instance, 100 years ago, long after the Bible was completed. The Bible was still being written. These events happened hundreds of years before the New Testament. Biblical history.

Yes, I know it's world history.

As for the second part, you just repeated what I said.

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement