How do you feel about music... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Texas Rangers #1

Question How do you feel about music...

Do you believe "born again" christians should listen to only christian music ( 94.9 KLTY 90.9 KCBI 89.7 Power FM etc. ) or is listening to "secular" music allowed?

No bashing, I just want to hear some of your ideas and then I will give mine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 01:10 PM
My other car's a mini-van

To answer your question - no. But, that's been tough for me. I LOVE classic rock... And contemporary christian music, especially 94.9 type sounds 'whiney' to me sometimes. You just have to be careful what you listen too, but I'll admit I listen to some songs/groups I shouldn't.. Kind of like a lot of TV shows nowadays - we get so desensitized(sp?).

My favorite christian musician is Rich Mullins. He is/was great! It broke my heart when he was killed in that car crash. I never got to see him perform.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 01:35 PM
Crash Test Dummy

(sigh) I think it's prudent to listen to something that puts God's word into your head. You'll be surprised how listening to too much Gansta Rap will have you thinking.

It's prudent but, man I have a hard time with it.

I like New Edge Rock, and alot of Rap. I don't buy the CDs of gansta rap but, I do like to hear it on the radio. I've tried to find a good medium by purchasing most of my CDs from Wal-Mart where they censor the curse words. I'm addicted to the good beats (rock/rap/christian)

I'm so glad Kirk Franklin came around. He gave the word over some good music and others have followed suit. There are some Christian rap artists but, most of them are lame.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 05:24 PM
Blessed

I use to be into rock, rap, country. ect. But then I noticed that they each put me into a different mood. The rock made me kindof bitter, the rap caused half of my speach to be curse words, and the country depressed me and made me feel sorry for myself.lol I made myself listen to KLTY for 3 weeks. I thought it was kindof gumball, but after listening to it and learning the songs I was hooked. Then I found 89.7 power fm by watching TBN late one night. I saw a video of "All Together Seperate" and a guy wearing a 89.7 power fm t-shirt, so I checked it out. That is all I listen to is Christian music. I like how it lifts me up. I find myself giving praise to God all of the time and I like that. It is a good rememberance and keeps me focused on God.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 09:31 PM
Time Served

i'd say no...i listen to pretty much everything...but it does skew what i like. To and from work it's either Christian Talk Radio or My "Christian" CD (i don't like klty at all) b/c i like it and it's alot harder to get pissed at some ricer almost killing you while you're listening to "you are my all in all"
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Texas Rangers #1

Cool. I guess I have to agree with all of you as well. I enjoy a wide variety of music, everything except country, and just like JC said I like the beats and sound of "secular" music, but I feel that instead of uplifting me it causes me to feel and act improperly. Usually what I try to do is find Christian Music that I enjoy listening, but also uplifts me. I don't listen to the radio much, but when I do, it's usually on 89.7 Power FM.

BTW, here are some of my favorite christian artists and albums:

Dc Talk - Jesus Freak
Dc Talk - Supernatural
Jars of Clay - Jars of Clay
Jars of Clay - Much afraid
Audio Adrenaline - Bloom
Audio Adrenaline - Some kind of Zombie
Shaded Red - Shaded Red
Shaded Red - Red Revolution
Third Day - Conspiracy No. 5
Toby Mac - Momentum

Most of those are rock/alternative and IMO are pretty good. If you have a chance check them out.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 08:57 AM

I do like Jar's of Clay. Newsboys are pretty good too. And some DC Talk
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 09:40 AM
Crash Test Dummy

I'm going to Hell! I caught myself listening to a song and it was Marilyn Manson!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 10:45 AM
Blessed

Quote:
Originally posted by Monsoon X
I'm going to Hell! I caught myself listening to a song and it was Marilyn Manson!
LOL!!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 10:56 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Monsoon X
Chris - we need a new moderator please....
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 11:13 AM
Blessed

Quote:
Originally posted by Lane

Chris - we need a new moderator please....

Doh!!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 04:04 PM
Turbobrooks

Location: You can call me Aaron Burr from the way I'm dropping Hamiltons
I like listening to all kinds of music. I play guitar, so I usually find myself listening to the guitar player and not the vocals.

I like Jars of Clay a lot... at least their first two albums. I saw them play at Riverfront in Nashville one summer. It was at Dancing in the District, a free concert that gets put on every thursday with local acts.

I do like listening to Christian music. It feels like I get "recharged" when I do.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 03:11 PM
Banned

No matter what you listen to and I do recommend sticking to christian music, don't listen to violent, lustful, angery, etc. It WILL bring you down. Upon being saved, I had 80 or so hard rap and rock cd's. I could not let them go, UNTIL...

Well, I was under extreme conviction and I threw them all away. I did not want to sell them to anyone for them to have them even though there are millions more out there. I purged my collection and now have a brand new one full of all sorts of christian music.

Christian rap, alternative, rock, southern gospel!, contemporary, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement