anne rice - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

anne rice

Anne Rice: Today I Quit Being a Christian

On Wednesday, July 28, 2010, Rice posted on her Facebook page stating; "Today I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being 'Christian' or to being part of Christianity." Rice pointed to doctrinal issue she did not agree with as her reason for renouncing Christians, calling them a 'quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group."

Anne Rice: My Faith in Christ is Central to my Life

Blog headlines around the world announced Rice had renounced her faith, but Rice tried to clarify her position on July 29 saying, “My faith in Christ is central to my life. My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn't understand, to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me. But following Christ does not mean following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been or might become.”

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 04:34 PM
Racist....that means you!

I think everything she said makes perfect sense.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 04:49 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

x2

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 12:22 AM
Blessed

I think what she means is she renounced "Religion" and became a "Christian". I did that a long time ago. I hate religion because it perverts the Word of God. I believe religion turns more people away than anything else. Religion tells you to be good in order to get God to love you. Christianity tells you God loves you reguardless of how good or bad you are. Sin doesn't turn God away from you, but when you sin you turn away from God. God is always there for you reguardless of what you have done. Jesus took care of every sin from yesterday, today and forever.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangTamer View Post
I think what she means is she renounced "Religion" and became a "Christian". I did that a long time ago. I hate religion because it perverts the Word of God. I believe religion turns more people away than anything else. Religion tells you to be good in order to get God to love you. Christianity tells you God loves you reguardless of how good or bad you are. Sin doesn't turn God away from you, but when you sin you turn away from God. God is always there for you reguardless of what you have done. Jesus took care of every sin from yesterday, today and forever.
I disagree, you simply didn't find the right "religion" where the Word of God is the primary focus.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Num say'n? (tm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious j View Post
Rice pointed to doctrinal issue she did not agree with as her reason for renouncing Christians, calling them a 'quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group."
I would think someone as well-educated as Anne Rice would be able to articulate her position a little better. I mean... she's an author; its what she does. She's being intentionally vague and this is nothing more than a media stunt. Its easier to say something vague and controversial to grab a couple of headlines than it is to write a book. Just another self-absorbed famous person intent on staying famous without putting any real effort into it.

Quote:
Religion tells you to be good in order to get God to love you.
Misguided as usual. John 3:16 is pretty simple and straight-forward enough that you should be able to get the gist of what it says. Instead, you turn your illogical conclusions into justification for turning your back on Christianity. Not terribly shocking based on your track record for brilliant thinking.

DFWMustangs.net
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 09:14 AM
lol, this place sucks now

Thumbs up

my favorite passage by far

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk View Post
I disagree, you simply didn't find the right "religion" where the Word of God is the primary focus.

Religion in general takes away from the Word of God. Religion doesn't let the Bible get in the way of their beliefs. I believe you have to believe the whole Bible as absolute truth or discount it all. I believe the Bible is absolute truth.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 09:56 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious j View Post
Anne Rice: Today I Quit Being a Christian

On Wednesday, July 28, 2010, Rice posted on her Facebook page stating; "Today I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being 'Christian' or to being part of Christianity." Rice pointed to doctrinal issue she did not agree with as her reason for renouncing Christians, calling them a 'quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group."

Anne Rice: My Faith in Christ is Central to my Life

Blog headlines around the world announced Rice had renounced her faith, but Rice tried to clarify her position on July 29 saying, “My faith in Christ is central to my life. My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn't understand, to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me. But following Christ does not mean following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been or might become.”
I completely understand her sentiment. The congregation of wannabe preachers and hypocrites , like many on this board who insist on pushing their opinions and views on others is what turned me off from going to church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP135 View Post
I would think someone as well-educated as Anne Rice would be able to articulate her position a little better. I mean... she's an author; its what she does. She's being intentionally vague and this is nothing more than a media stunt. Its easier to say something vague and controversial to grab a couple of headlines than it is to write a book. Just another self-absorbed famous person intent on staying famous without putting any real effort into it.
There is a reason why publishing companies have an army of editors on their staffs and why it takes so long to get a book published. Anyone can write a book if they have an idea. The publishing company then works with the writer to edit and rewrite a manuscript to make sense to the reader while trying to maintain the writers intent.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP135 View Post

Misguided as usual. John 3:16 is pretty simple and straight-forward enough that you should be able to get the gist of what it says. Instead, you turn your illogical conclusions into justification for turning your back on Christianity. Not terribly shocking based on your track record for brilliant thinking.

I am not real sure what you mean by "based on my track record". I don't remember ever offending you.

There is a big difference between Christianity and Religion. I didn't turn my back on Christianity I turned my back on Religion. I am a Christian. I totally believe John 3:16. The problem is Religion has perverted it. For instance, I am sure anyone that has ever been to multiple churches has heard the religious term....You get saved by grace, but there is a honeymoney period, you have to start living Holy or you will lose your Salvation.

The problems I have with Religion is they don't understand what grace is. Grace is something you don't earn, it is a gift. Our body and soul(mind, will, emotion) is not what gets born again. Our Spirit is what gets born again. So, if you are fat befor you get saved, you will still be fat after you get saved. If were dumb before you get saved, you will be dumb after you get saved. Our spirit is what is made perfect.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Religion in general takes away from the Word of God. Religion doesn't let the Bible get in the way of their beliefs. I believe you have to believe the whole Bible as absolute truth or discount it all. I believe the Bible is absolute truth.
So do I, as well as the congregation in general at my church. So, making the statement that religion by default and in all cases takes away from the Word of God is an oversimplification and thus incorrect in my experience.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Blessed

Quote:
So do I, as well as the congregation in general at my church. So, making the statement that religion by default and in all cases takes away from the Word of God is an oversimplification and thus incorrect in my experience.
All Religions will say they believe in the whole bible. The problem is they will tweak the meaning of what it says in some areas, ie. Salvation, healing, prosperity, the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and praying in tongues, etc. I am not saying all religions have it wrong in every area, but atleast in one or more of the areas I listed. That is why there are multiple Christian Religions, because they all believe different. I have yet to find one that believes in it all except for Non-Denomination. A lot of them use to, and some still do make their congregation act, dress, have their hair a certain length, not wear make up, no dancing, etc. and are more concerned about the outward appearance, but God looks at our hearts. I hate to see people put under the bondage of thinking they have to or can earn their Salvation.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 07:03 AM
Lifer

That is why, as I'm sure you agree, one should read the Bible for themselves and hear what God is saying to them personally.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Blessed

Quote:
That is why, as I'm sure you agree, one should read the Bible for themselves and hear what God is saying to them personally.
I encourage everyone to read the Bible for themselves. It is great to listen to a Preacher or Minister to help you build a foundation in the Word and bring new insights (that is as long as they teach the Word correctly). But, the best teacher is the Holy Spirit through reading the Bible on your own.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
like many on this board who insist on pushing their opinions and views on others is what turned me off from going to church.
At least atheists or agnostics never speak up and push their agendas and beliefs..... oh wait...

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
The congregation of wannabe preachers and hypocrites , like many on this board who insist on pushing their opinions and views on others is what turned me off from going to church.
LOL at yet another utterance of the cliche "hypocrites". That word is one of two go-to terms used ad nauseum by those who just can't ever seem to come with any new, catchy phrases on their own to support their complaints regarding churches or organized religion in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04 View Post
At least atheists or agnostics never speak up and push their agendas and beliefs..... oh wait...
Only if they are hypocrites.....
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 06:56 AM
Lifer

Most people that attend my church aren't hypocritical and don't consider themselves better than anyone else. Church is for imperfect people (like me) that want "the word" and camaraderie. I never understood how a man can look into his baby's eye's, and convince himself that there is not a God.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Banned

So....vampires and stuff....eh? Eh?
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 06:49 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Some Christian groups work to have people accept Christ in their hearts and then be baptized. They say the Holy Spirit descends from Heaven to give them guidance from G#d. At the same time they say that G#d has not spoken through the Bible in about 1800 years. And, if the Holy Spirit gives guidance directly from G#d, what in sam hill is the Pope doing telling us he id the only fount. It is almost as if the Pope (or organized religion, in general) is denying us the Holy Spirit... and what does the Bible have to say about that?
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 07:03 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSON View Post
Some Christian groups work to have people accept Christ in their hearts and then be baptized. They say the Holy Spirit descends from Heaven to give them guidance from G#d. At the same time they say that G#d has not spoken through the Bible in about 1800 years. And, if the Holy Spirit gives guidance directly from G#d, what in sam hill is the Pope doing telling us he id the only fount. It is almost as if the Pope (or organized religion, in general) is denying us the Holy Spirit... and what does the Bible have to say about that?
God speaks through the Bible today, so identify the Christian groups you claim are saying He has not done so in about 1800 years by something more specific than "they".

The Pope can say whatever he wants, however he is by no means the only fount by which God's guidance can be received.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement