Anyone see this? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
MR TINFOIL HAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NAU
Posts: 4,982
Anyone see this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/e...pes-found.html

Our government needs our help, they have an addiction. Our government is addicted to our money. Since they always have our best interest at heart it's time we return the favor. We need to have an intervention, for the governments own good of course. It's just irresponsible for us to let people with a known money addiction continue to handle our money. Lets have an intervention now so we can help these sick individuals.
MR TINFOIL HAT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?
 
flashstang04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,224
I don't see the relevance. If there is one there should be literally billions of those around. Or maybe it is another fake like Lucy and Piltdown man.

Either way, the game of trying to connect us to apes is a losing battle and science knows it. They would be better off trying to prove that aliens planted us here.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
flashstang04 is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:51 AM
lol, this place sucks now
 
ClockwrkOrangeS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: DFWMustangs.net
Posts: 13,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04 View Post
....They would be better off trying to prove that aliens planted us here.
ClockwrkOrangeS4 is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 11:23 AM
mannish boy
 
Cooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: drunk on diesel
Posts: 31,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04 View Post
I don't see the relevance. If there is one there should be literally billions of those around. Or maybe it is another fake like Lucy and Piltdown man.

Either way, the game of trying to connect us to apes is a losing battle and science knows it. They would be better off trying to prove that aliens planted us here.
we'll make great pets!
Cooter is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:46 PM
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04 View Post
I don't see the relevance. If there is one there should be literally billions of those around. Or maybe it is another fake like Lucy and Piltdown man.

Either way, the game of trying to connect us to apes is a losing battle and science knows it. They would be better off trying to prove that aliens planted us here.
Unless something new has come up, who (outside of far end creationists) is saying Lucy is fake? Pilotdown man is well known, but Lucy is legit as far as I know.

More common dissension is that the Australopithecus genus is "no more than a chimp" by evolution deniers. Having studied them in decent depth, I'll disagree...but I digress. Mostly just curious who's saying Lucy is an outright fake.
exlude is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?
 
flashstang04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
Unless something new has come up, who (outside of far end creationists) is saying Lucy is fake? Pilotdown man is well known, but Lucy is legit as far as I know.

More common dissension is that the Australopithecus genus is "no more than a chimp" by evolution deniers. Having studied them in decent depth, I'll disagree...but I digress. Mostly just curious who's saying Lucy is an outright fake.

I should explain. I real skeleton yes, but a missing link no. Richard Leakey, one of the top fossil anthropologists in the world called it ‘imagination made of plaster of paris’.


They don't have enough similarities to be a relative to the human species. In fact the knee joint that is pointed to for proof was found over a mile away from the original skeleton. This piece is the only evidence of an upright stance.

IMO what you have here is a scientist that wanted to become famous, and ended up building his find.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
flashstang04 is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Musician for the deaf
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Euless, TX
Posts: 9,656
Its the hip, not the knee that indicates lucy was bipedal.

The knee is another separate specimen (and it is not the only one).

The knees found also indicate a bipedal structure.

The hypothesis that is to be tested is whether the knees and the hip actually go together to represent a bipedal hominid. There is nothing else that can be identified which would indicate multiple separate species, nor do any of these pieces resemble ape physiology.

The hypothesis can be falsified. Find an intact pelvis with at least one knee that is not a combination of what we have. Show evidence that the two would not work together as assumed.
Casper is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 05:52 PM
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04 View Post
I should explain. I real skeleton yes, but a missing link no. Richard Leakey, one of the top fossil anthropologists in the world called it ‘imagination made of plaster of paris’.


They don't have enough similarities to be a relative to the human species. In fact the knee joint that is pointed to for proof was found over a mile away from the original skeleton. This piece is the only evidence of an upright stance.

IMO what you have here is a scientist that wanted to become famous, and ended up building his find.
I think you're taking Leakey's honesty out of context.

Considering the conditions it takes to make a mammalian fossil, there really shouldn't be billions of these things laying around...we're lucky to have what we do so far.

As Casper said, the opening of the hip is what makes Lucy so important, the knee is backing evidence (albeit, not proof).
exlude is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome