Flinstones was a documentary - DFWstangs Forums
View Poll Results: Which one fits your belief system?
Human beings developed over millions of years with God guiding the process 9 17.31%
Human beings developed over millions of years without God guiding the process 30 57.69%
God created human beings pretty much in their present form about 10,000 years ago 13 25.00%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
Avery'sDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Red Oak
Posts: 1,509
Flinstones was a documentary

Interesting article. Just curious if there really is people under 60 who actually believe the world is only 10000 years old. What's everyone else's opinion on this?

http://www.texastribune.org/stories/...t-flintstones/

"If "pro" is the opposite of "con", is "progress" the opposite of "congress"? ...Gallagher
Avery'sDad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:51 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery'sDad View Post
Interesting article. Just curious if there really is people under 60 who actually believe the world is only 10000 years old. What's everyone else's opinion on this?

http://www.texastribune.org/stories/...t-flintstones/
I believe you used incorrect grammar.
Mr Majestyk is offline  
 
post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:08 AM
OLD SCHOOL crew
 
HobieF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: If you aren't 02 or older you aren't SHIT!
Posts: 11,619
Religion is so weird to me. For a lot of people/adults in this country in 2010 it's their life, but since I was 11 or so I've never been able to get over how absurd it all seems. People all over the world have killed others all over the world over their imaginary friends since the beginning of time. I can see backwards 3rd world shit holes participating in all kinds of religious mumbo-jumbo, but it's sort of shocking that most people in this modern progressive country still believe in some sort of mythology. I always feel like Professors, Scientists, Doctors, and many Politicians "play along" with these people just to avoid the backlash.


It's amusing that the most intelligent people tend not to identify with any religion, yet if you want to be president you must. So in order to get the smartest person to fill the position they must also be a liar LOL.

Buy my 98 Civic 5spd - New A/C $2250 over 40mpg on the [email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt
I want to live as an outlaw, or what used to be called a Free American.
Quote:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories. And to render even them safe, their minds must be improved to a certain degree." --Thomas Jefferson
HobieF3 is offline  
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Lifer
 
12SecondT-Bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Inside the Talamasca
Posts: 1,473
Funny stuff, religion. Seems like a lot of wars resulted from a difference of opinion of one's "God". I'd be more comfortable if people kept their religious and political opinions to themselves.


DeWayne
12SecondT-Bird is offline  
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Lifer
 
slow06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,075
I am 23 and I would pretty much agree that the world is around 10,000 years old. Yes I am a christian, so that is mostly where that comes from.

I will tell you that I think the explanations for both sides are equally hard to believe and I don't knock anybody for believing differently than I do. It is a hard question to answer and I think taking either side requires a little "faith" seeing as none of us were around at the time.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
slow06 is offline  
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:25 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET
 
Shorty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Gone
Posts: 7,886
God put the fossils there to test our faith.
Shorty is offline  
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Oooooooh-whee
 
Tyrone Biggums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: What up with that? What up with that?!
Posts: 10,434
My belief is that this should be in the Theology forum.

8/16/05
Tyrone Biggums is offline  
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Colorado Dreamin'
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Clueless, Texas
Posts: 13,881
None of the above..

I do believe in evolution but do not deny that it could have been influenced / began by some outside help. Be it a "god", alien or some other supernatural source.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
Chili is offline  
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Worship me
 
AL P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 34,345
My favorite part of this is when you ask these people if the world is only 10,000 years old why can we see light from stars that are a million light years away. Their response is that "God planned it like that". Like God actually took the time to form that bit of minute detail in order to fool everyone. I find it all to be quite amusing.

Personally I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect that God created the earth in a process that took millions of years. If you are a deist it makes sense that this would be some grand plan that you and I were never meant to understand and that we very well may still be in the development stage of that plan. The problem with modern christianity is that the movement is full of selfish pricks who think everything centers around their pathetic ability to understand the divine. Why would you think you can understand God? Why would you worship a God that you can "figure out"...that would mean he is just as dumb as you are.

Cue up the hardcore christians and their bullshit....they'll be posting all sorts of nonsense I am sure.
AL P is offline  
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Lifer
 
12SecondT-Bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Inside the Talamasca
Posts: 1,473
I can certainly reconcile the Big Bang Theory with the belief that "God" created heaven and earth. There are places in the Bible that talk about the space of time. When the Christians insist that the world was made in seven days, I don't necessarily believe that was seven of our 24 hour days. Things must have moved a lot slower in those days. What about Methusula that lived for 969 years in the book of Genises? Are we to take that literally?


DeWayne
12SecondT-Bird is offline  
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12SecondT-Bird View Post
I can certainly reconcile the Big Bang Theory with the belief that "God" created heaven and earth. There are places in the Bible that talk about the space of time. When the Christians insist that the world was made in seven days, I don't necessarily believe that was seven of our 24 hour days. Things must have moved a lot slower in those days. What about Methusula that lived for 969 years in the book of Genises? Are we to take that literally?
It is interesting because people lived 500-900 years in the book of Genesis until the flood. Noah was the oldest living person AFTER the flood. The problem with the dating is, in the bible, there were 5-6 generations of families coming together. Simple math would show these people must have been 14-15 having babies to live long enough to see the 5th generation of their family. We can tell from history people did not live 100 years old due to health conditions and the environment.

I never could find why people only lived to be 120-140 after the flood. I was thinking maybe the calendar year was measured different.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Every day is.............
 
cobrajet69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Keller
Posts: 9,150
←Christian, so obviously I believe in God. I also submit to the one thing God asks above all others - Faith! After that, all things become secondary, and in that comes the option to dismiss other's ideas and notions. I don't pretend to "know" or "understand" God, especially at the current [limited] level of human comprehension, but to subscribe to the notion that the world is only 10000 years old is just comical.

Facts are facts, and faith is faith. This is where Christians get it wrong all too often, by trying to pretend that they/we have just a little better (or higher) understanding of things, just to get one-up on those who don't believe.

Maybe it's just an effort to convince themselves that they believe. dunno...


David
cobrajet69 is offline  
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Lifer
 
12SecondT-Bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Inside the Talamasca
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
It is interesting because people lived 500-900 years in the book of Genesis until the flood. Noah was the oldest living person AFTER the flood. The problem with the dating is, in the bible, there were 5-6 generations of families coming together. Simple math would show these people must have been 14-15 having babies to live long enough to see the 5th generation of their family. We can tell from history people did not live 100 years old due to health conditions and the environment.

I never could find why people only lived to be 120-140 after the flood. I was thinking maybe the calendar year was measured different.
Good point. Looks like to re-populate the earth AFTER the flood, people would have to have lived much longer. My great-grandmother saw 5 generations, she was 105 when she died, full-blood Kiowa Indian.


DeWayne
12SecondT-Bird is offline  
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Lifer
 
12SecondT-Bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Inside the Talamasca
Posts: 1,473
I have "faith" my old truck will get me to where I'm going, but I carry a bag full of tools just in case.


DeWayne
12SecondT-Bird is offline  
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Extreme Clean!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Grammar Gestapo
Posts: 4,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
My belief is that this should be in the Theology forum.
I believe you are correct.

Samhain is offline  
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:40 AM
African Booty Scratcher
 
ELVIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Uranus
Posts: 13,150
you are all gonna burn in hell!!!


i dont give a shit what anyone believes in. wake do what you think/know to be right and i dont can if you believe in a little blue genie that talks to you though your refridgerator.

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
ELVIS is offline  
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12SecondT-Bird View Post
I can certainly reconcile the Big Bang Theory with the belief that "God" created heaven and earth. There are places in the Bible that talk about the space of time. When the Christians insist that the world was made in seven days, I don't necessarily believe that was seven of our 24 hour days. Things must have moved a lot slower in those days. What about Methusula that lived for 969 years in the book of Genises? Are we to take that literally?
****EDIT: This was in the wrong forum....****

This is indeed the wrong forum for this, but the reason many Christians (and Jews by the way) insist that the world, along with everything else, was created in six days (as in six of our 24-hour days) is because that is the way it is recorded in the Bible. The subject passages in Genesis specify that each of these six days was "the evening and the morning", which implies a 24-hour day.

Last edited by Mr Majestyk; 02-19-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Mr Majestyk is offline  
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Full tilt boogie !!
 
Txstang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: out yonder way
Posts: 10,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
I am 23 and I would pretty much agree that the world is around 10,000 years old. Yes I am a christian, so that is mostly where that comes from.

I will tell you that I think the explanations for both sides are equally hard to believe and I don't knock anybody for believing differently than I do. It is a hard question to answer and I think taking either side requires a little "faith" seeing as none of us were around at the time.
Equally hard to believe? Not me. I find the one that is not science based a whole lot harder to believe. But that just me. I was raised going to a pentacostal my entire childhood up until 16

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.


Txstang1 is offline  
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Lifer
 
slow06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk View Post
This is indeed the wrong forum for this, but the reason many Christians (and Jews by the way) insist that the world, along with everything else, was created in six days (as in six of our 24-hour days) is because that is the way it is recorded in the Bible. The subject passages in Genesis specify that each of these six days was "the evening and the morning", which implies a 24-hour day.
But there was "the beginning" that is not accounted for in the "days"... who is to say that the earth hadn't already been sitting around for a million (of our) years or so?

Also, evening and morning implies a day, but I don't think you can assume that it was 24 hours. That doesn't even happen everywhere on the earth now, I don't think it would be safe to assume that it did then.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com

Last edited by slow06; 02-19-2010 at 12:13 PM.
slow06 is offline  
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
But there was "the beginning" that is not accounted for in the "days"... who is to say that the earth hadn't already been sitting around for a million (of our) years or so?

Also, evening and morning implies a day, but I don't think you can assume that it was 24 hours. That doesn't even happen in all place on the earth now...
That's why I only referred to what the Bible says on the matter, in explaining why many Christians and Jews believe that Creation literally took six 24-hour days. It's up to the individual to draw their own conclusions from reading Scripture.
Mr Majestyk is offline  
post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Lifer
 
slow06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txstang1 View Post
Equally hard to believe? Not me. I find the one that is not science based a whole lot harder to believe. But that just me. I was raised going to a pentacostal my entire childhood up until 16
Fair enough.

I find it equally confusing that A) and invisible being that always existed creates something from nothing or B) there was an explosion that came from nothing and created something.

I don't find either one easy to believe, and I don't think you could convince me 100% of one or the other. I also don't believe they would have to be mutually exclusive, where it could be possible that C) an invisible being that always existed created the bang that came from nothing and created something.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
slow06 is offline  
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Out
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 41,952
I believe God created everything sometime before I was born.
Denny is offline  
post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,068
Am I the only one that wonders why God would commit genocide and kill everyone and everything with a flood after he created it?

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Out
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 41,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
Am I the only one that wonders why God would commit genocide and kill everyone and everything with a flood after he created it?
Nah... I know my role. We weren't there anyway. It could have been worse then, than it is now.
Denny is offline  
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Colorado Dreamin'
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Clueless, Texas
Posts: 13,881
I'm going to revise my previous statement and say that I believe that the machines reset the Matrix every 100 years...

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
Chili is offline  
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
Am I the only one that wonders why God would commit genocide and kill everyone and everything with a flood after he created it?
Everyone and everything wasn't killed. Noah, his wife, his sons, his son's wives, and two of every other kind of living thing of the flesh were spared.

Also, this was not genocide. Genocide targets a specific group.
Mr Majestyk is offline  
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Colorado Dreamin'
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Clueless, Texas
Posts: 13,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
Am I the only one that wonders why God would commit genocide and kill everyone and everything with a flood after he created it?
Have you never completely scrapped a project that wasn't turning out the way you wanted? But salvaged a couple of pieces first?

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
Chili is offline  
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Full tilt boogie !!
 
Txstang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: out yonder way
Posts: 10,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
Fair enough.

I find it equally confusing that A) and invisible being that always existed creates something from nothing or B) there was an explosion that came from nothing and created something.

I don't find either one easy to believe, and I don't think you could convince me 100% of one or the other. I also don't believe they would have to be mutually exclusive, where it could be possible that C) an invisible being that always existed created the bang that came from nothing and created something.
Either scenario is pausible I guess, I'm not 100% convinced eiher way, but have a hard time with he whole blind faih thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
I'm going to revise my previous statement and say that I believe that the machines reset the Matrix every 100 years...
Now this discussion is going somewhere !!!!!!!

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.


Txstang1 is offline  
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk View Post
Everyone and everything wasn't killed. Noah, his wife, his sons, his son's wives, and two of every other kind of living thing of the flesh were spared.

Also, this was not genocide. Genocide targets a specific group.
Killing everyone but a 2 people is genocide in my book. And God did not spare two of every living thing. Only the "good" ones. In Genesis, he says for Noah to get two of every "good" animal and save them. So T-rex and Koala bears, but no serpants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Have you never completely scrapped a project that wasn't turning out the way you wanted? But salvaged a couple of pieces first?
I guess you have a point

So who killed more....God or Hitler? Both kinda had the same goal. Wipe out all the bad ones and start over with a new master race

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
post #31 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Banned
 
DOHCTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Waco
Posts: 5,539
When I was a child, my grandmother told me that the Earth was only 6,000 years old and that god put the dinosaur bones there to trick us. If I could pinpoint a moment in my life where I began to shun religion, that would be it.
DOHCTR is offline  
post #32 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Out
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 41,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
When I was a child, my grandmother told me that the Earth was only 6,000 years old and that god put the dinosaur bones there to trick us. If I could pinpoint a moment in my life where I began to shun religion, that would be it.
Well, no wonder...
Denny is offline  
post #33 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
Killing everyone but a 2 people is genocide in my book. And God did not spare two of every living thing. Only the "good" ones. In Genesis, he says for Noah to get two of every "good" animal and save them. So T-rex and Koala bears, but no serpants.
First, Noah, his wife, his sons, and his son's wives equals 8 people, not 2.

Second, Genesis says that Noah was to take seven pairs of "clean" beasts, two pairs of "unclean" beasts, and seven pairs of fowls with him on the ark. Two of "everything that creepeth upon the earth" also went in, according to Genesis. I see nothing in Genesis about taking only "good" ones, while excludiing serpents.
Mr Majestyk is offline  
post #34 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: fort worth
Posts: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
God put the fossils there to test our faith.
I think god put you here to test my faith dude- Bill Hicks

Dreaming of my future creation....
331coupe is offline  
post #35 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: fort worth
Posts: 1,102
There is no "God". So ridiculous.

Dreaming of my future creation....
331coupe is offline  
post #36 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk View Post
First, Noah, his wife, his sons, and his son's wives equals 8 people, not 2.

Second, Genesis says that Noah was to take seven pairs of "clean" beasts, two pairs of "unclean" beasts, and seven pairs of fowls with him on the ark. Two of "everything that creepeth upon the earth" also went in, according to Genesis. I see nothing in Genesis about taking only "good" ones, while excludiing serpents.

Now you have me reading it again... I read it but you are correct on the 3 sons and wives + Noah and wife.

I forget where I read it...maybe the old testament version? I had to do this for my literature class a while back.

Either way, God is a mass murderer. Drowning everyone but the people he wanted to keep. And realistically... he should probably flood the world again. Way to much crime, poverty and hunger. Holy wars and terrorists.... his 2nd go round didnt work out that well. Maybe his 2nd mass murder weapon is "global warming"

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
post #37 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Out
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 41,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
Now you have me reading it again... I read it but you are correct on the 3 sons and wives + Noah and wife.

I forget where I read it...maybe the old testament version? I had to do this for my literature class a while back.

Either way, God is a mass murderer. Drowning everyone but the people he wanted to keep.
Again, you weren't there, but I think He wanted/wants to help everyone (thus giving us Jesus). He also loves us so much that He gives us free will to make our own decisions. How do you know those people didn't- without a doubt- reject Him?
Denny is offline  
post #38 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Out
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 41,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by 331coupe View Post
There is no "God". So ridiculous.
Ya... it just happened one day, huh?
Denny is offline  
post #39 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by 331coupe View Post
There is no "God". So ridiculous.
Never heard that one in here before....good, original-thinking post.
Mr Majestyk is offline  
post #40 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
Now you have me reading it again... I read it but you are correct on the 3 sons and wives + Noah and wife.

I forget where I read it...maybe the old testament version? I had to do this for my literature class a while back.

Either way, God is a mass murderer. Drowning everyone but the people he wanted to keep. And realistically... he should probably flood the world again. Way to much crime, poverty and hunger. Holy wars and terrorists.... his 2nd go round didnt work out that well. Maybe his 2nd mass murder weapon is "global warming"
God is not a mass murderer. Murder and killing are two completely diffewrent things, both as recorded in the Bible and in our secular world of today. He will not flood the world again either, since He said so in Genesis 8.
Mr Majestyk is offline  
post #41 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Again, you weren't there, but I think He wanted/wants to help everyone (thus giving us Jesus). He also loves us so much that He gives us free will to make our own decisions. How do you know those people didn't- without a doubt- reject Him?
The problem is, you are Christian. Look at all the Muslims that believe in their own religion. Do you think God gave them the want to kill Americans because they dont believe in our ways? The women dont have free will to make their own decisions.

I respect religion for I have seen a couple people I know find help for themselves through prayer and belief, but have realized that a blind faith in something we cannot prove, yet believe cannot control my life.

Where did God come from? Space? Just popped up? He is invisible. How could he create Earth and people? To have "faith" and just "believe" that God created people from nothing is hard to believe. I know the same can be said for the big bang theory. The idea of an invisible character creating something from nothing and instilling a belief into people to follow his ways is just hard to believe. The ideas and foundations of religion are good. Lots of morals and simple ways of live can be learned through the bible.

I have had many questions and have asked people I know who are very religious...asked a few questions to a Catholic Deacon, and no one can quite answer the questions. The canned answer is that we must just believe.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
post #42 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Banned
 
DOHCTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Waco
Posts: 5,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk View Post
God is not a mass murderer. Murder and killing are two completely diffewrent things, both as recorded in the Bible and in our secular world of today. He will not flood the world again either, since He said so in Genesis 8.
He had the Israelites murder everyone in Jericho.

He opened up the ground and swallowed a large chunk of the diaspora because they casted a golden calf.

He killed everyone in Sodom and Gomorrah.
DOHCTR is offline  
post #43 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk View Post
God is not a mass murderer. Murder and killing are two completely diffewrent things, both as recorded in the Bible and in our secular world of today. He will not flood the world again either, since He said so in Genesis 8.
Come on man... when one person intentionally goes out and kills a bunch of people..he is not a murderer? Timothy McVeigh... Blew up a building and "killed" lots of people...intentionally. Is he just a killer? This wasnt an accident.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
post #44 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,017
Timothy McVeigh was a murderer.
Mr Majestyk is offline  
post #45 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
He had the Israelites murder everyone in Jericho.

He opened up the ground and swallowed a large chunk of the diaspora because they casted a golden calf.

He killed everyone in Sodom and Gomorrah.
Do you the consider the dropping of atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki by the U.S. to have been murder?
Mr Majestyk is offline  
post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Banned
 
DOHCTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Waco
Posts: 5,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk View Post
Do you the consider the dropping of atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki by the U.S. to have been murder?
We sure did murder a lot of innocent women and children who were in no way involved in the war effort.

I do not disagree with the bombing, but I find it hard to believe that a loving god would have demanded no quarter for people in the town.
DOHCTR is offline  
post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Colorado Dreamin'
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Clueless, Texas
Posts: 13,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
I do not disagree with the bombing, but I find it hard to believe that a loving god would have demanded no quarter for people in the town.
According to the bible there are many instances of him being less than a "loving god" which is one of the reasons I am not a worshipper.

Not only are there those instances mentioned above but the whole idea of testing people is a big problem for me. The story of Job is another example. He basically allows Satan to torture Job to prove a point. Not very loving in my opinion.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
Chili is offline  
post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Banned
 
DOHCTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Waco
Posts: 5,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
According to the bible there are many instances of him being less than a "loving god" which is one of the reasons I am not a worshipper.

Not only are there those instances mentioned above but the whole idea of testing people is a big problem for me. The story of Job is another example. He basically allows Satan to torture Job to prove a point. Not very loving in my opinion.
I agree with you 100% chili.
DOHCTR is offline  
post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
According to the bible there are many instances of him being less than a "loving god" which is one of the reasons I am not a worshipper.

Not only are there those instances mentioned above but the whole idea of testing people is a big problem for me. The story of Job is another example. He basically allows Satan to torture Job to prove a point. Not very loving in my opinion.
Job is an example of faith and trust in God enabling man to overcome the greatest of adversity. God chose the individuals He did during Old Testament times for His own reasons, but universally they were ordinary people with no exemplary station in life, an everyman of sorts. To have been Abraham, Moses, Joshua, Job, Noah, or any of the other men of faith the Bible tells us about must have been the greatest honor imaginable. I could only hope to perform a similar calling as well as these men did.
Mr Majestyk is offline  
post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:06 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE
 
Strychnine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Putting the sensual in nonconsensual since 1984
Posts: 12,482
Interesting book: Genesis and the Big Bang - Gerald Schroeder

Having some understanding of science (ie. special relativity) helps.

I don't feel like typing an essay at the moment but I believe it does a very good job of reconciling religion and science (in terms of creation, anyway).


.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Strychnine is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome