Flinstones was a documentary - DFWstangs Forums
View Poll Results: Which one fits your belief system?
Human beings developed over millions of years with God guiding the process 9 17.31%
Human beings developed over millions of years without God guiding the process 30 57.69%
God created human beings pretty much in their present form about 10,000 years ago 13 25.00%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Flinstones was a documentary

Interesting article. Just curious if there really is people under 60 who actually believe the world is only 10000 years old. What's everyone else's opinion on this?

http://www.texastribune.org/stories/...t-flintstones/

"If "pro" is the opposite of "con", is "progress" the opposite of "congress"? ...Gallagher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:51 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery'sDad View Post
Interesting article. Just curious if there really is people under 60 who actually believe the world is only 10000 years old. What's everyone else's opinion on this?

http://www.texastribune.org/stories/...t-flintstones/
I believe you used incorrect grammar.

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:08 AM
OLD SCHOOL crew

Religion is so weird to me. For a lot of people/adults in this country in 2010 it's their life, but since I was 11 or so I've never been able to get over how absurd it all seems. People all over the world have killed others all over the world over their imaginary friends since the beginning of time. I can see backwards 3rd world shit holes participating in all kinds of religious mumbo-jumbo, but it's sort of shocking that most people in this modern progressive country still believe in some sort of mythology. I always feel like Professors, Scientists, Doctors, and many Politicians "play along" with these people just to avoid the backlash.

It's amusing that the most intelligent people tend not to identify with any religion, yet if you want to be president you must. So in order to get the smartest person to fill the position they must also be a liar LOL.

Buy my 98 Civic 5spd - New A/C $2250 over 40mpg on the [email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt
I want to live as an outlaw, or what used to be called a Free American.
Quote:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories. And to render even them safe, their minds must be improved to a certain degree." --Thomas Jefferson
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Lifer

Funny stuff, religion. Seems like a lot of wars resulted from a difference of opinion of one's "God". I'd be more comfortable if people kept their religious and political opinions to themselves.

DeWayne
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Lifer

I am 23 and I would pretty much agree that the world is around 10,000 years old. Yes I am a christian, so that is mostly where that comes from.

I will tell you that I think the explanations for both sides are equally hard to believe and I don't knock anybody for believing differently than I do. It is a hard question to answer and I think taking either side requires a little "faith" seeing as none of us were around at the time.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:25 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

God put the fossils there to test our faith.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Oooooooh-whee

My belief is that this should be in the Theology forum.

8/16/05
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Colorado Dreamin'

None of the above..

I do believe in evolution but do not deny that it could have been influenced / began by some outside help. Be it a "god", alien or some other supernatural source.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Worship me

My favorite part of this is when you ask these people if the world is only 10,000 years old why can we see light from stars that are a million light years away. Their response is that "God planned it like that". Like God actually took the time to form that bit of minute detail in order to fool everyone. I find it all to be quite amusing.

Personally I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect that God created the earth in a process that took millions of years. If you are a deist it makes sense that this would be some grand plan that you and I were never meant to understand and that we very well may still be in the development stage of that plan. The problem with modern christianity is that the movement is full of selfish pricks who think everything centers around their pathetic ability to understand the divine. Why would you think you can understand God? Why would you worship a God that you can "figure out"...that would mean he is just as dumb as you are.

Cue up the hardcore christians and their bullshit....they'll be posting all sorts of nonsense I am sure.
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Lifer

I can certainly reconcile the Big Bang Theory with the belief that "God" created heaven and earth. There are places in the Bible that talk about the space of time. When the Christians insist that the world was made in seven days, I don't necessarily believe that was seven of our 24 hour days. Things must have moved a lot slower in those days. What about Methusula that lived for 969 years in the book of Genises? Are we to take that literally?

DeWayne
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12SecondT-Bird View Post
I can certainly reconcile the Big Bang Theory with the belief that "God" created heaven and earth. There are places in the Bible that talk about the space of time. When the Christians insist that the world was made in seven days, I don't necessarily believe that was seven of our 24 hour days. Things must have moved a lot slower in those days. What about Methusula that lived for 969 years in the book of Genises? Are we to take that literally?
It is interesting because people lived 500-900 years in the book of Genesis until the flood. Noah was the oldest living person AFTER the flood. The problem with the dating is, in the bible, there were 5-6 generations of families coming together. Simple math would show these people must have been 14-15 having babies to live long enough to see the 5th generation of their family. We can tell from history people did not live 100 years old due to health conditions and the environment.

I never could find why people only lived to be 120-140 after the flood. I was thinking maybe the calendar year was measured different.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Every day is.............

←Christian, so obviously I believe in God. I also submit to the one thing God asks above all others - Faith! After that, all things become secondary, and in that comes the option to dismiss other's ideas and notions. I don't pretend to "know" or "understand" God, especially at the current [limited] level of human comprehension, but to subscribe to the notion that the world is only 10000 years old is just comical.

Facts are facts, and faith is faith. This is where Christians get it wrong all too often, by trying to pretend that they/we have just a little better (or higher) understanding of things, just to get one-up on those who don't believe.

Maybe it's just an effort to convince themselves that they believe. dunno...

David
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
It is interesting because people lived 500-900 years in the book of Genesis until the flood. Noah was the oldest living person AFTER the flood. The problem with the dating is, in the bible, there were 5-6 generations of families coming together. Simple math would show these people must have been 14-15 having babies to live long enough to see the 5th generation of their family. We can tell from history people did not live 100 years old due to health conditions and the environment.

I never could find why people only lived to be 120-140 after the flood. I was thinking maybe the calendar year was measured different.
Good point. Looks like to re-populate the earth AFTER the flood, people would have to have lived much longer. My great-grandmother saw 5 generations, she was 105 when she died, full-blood Kiowa Indian.

DeWayne
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Lifer

I have "faith" my old truck will get me to where I'm going, but I carry a bag full of tools just in case.

DeWayne
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Extreme Clean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
My belief is that this should be in the Theology forum.
I believe you are correct.

post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:40 AM
African Booty Scratcher

you are all gonna burn in hell!!!

i dont give a shit what anyone believes in. wake do what you think/know to be right and i dont can if you believe in a little blue genie that talks to you though your refridgerator.

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12SecondT-Bird View Post
****EDIT: This was in the wrong forum....****

This is indeed the wrong forum for this, but the reason many Christians (and Jews by the way) insist that the world, along with everything else, was created in six days (as in six of our 24-hour days) is because that is the way it is recorded in the Bible. The subject passages in Genesis specify that each of these six days was "the evening and the morning", which implies a 24-hour day.

Last edited by Mr Majestyk; 02-19-2010 at 12:17 PM.
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Full tilt boogie !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
I am 23 and I would pretty much agree that the world is around 10,000 years old. Yes I am a christian, so that is mostly where that comes from.

I will tell you that I think the explanations for both sides are equally hard to believe and I don't knock anybody for believing differently than I do. It is a hard question to answer and I think taking either side requires a little "faith" seeing as none of us were around at the time.
Equally hard to believe? Not me. I find the one that is not science based a whole lot harder to believe. But that just me. I was raised going to a pentacostal my entire childhood up until 16

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.

post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk View Post
This is indeed the wrong forum for this, but the reason many Christians (and Jews by the way) insist that the world, along with everything else, was created in six days (as in six of our 24-hour days) is because that is the way it is recorded in the Bible. The subject passages in Genesis specify that each of these six days was "the evening and the morning", which implies a 24-hour day.
But there was "the beginning" that is not accounted for in the "days"... who is to say that the earth hadn't already been sitting around for a million (of our) years or so?

Also, evening and morning implies a day, but I don't think you can assume that it was 24 hours. That doesn't even happen everywhere on the earth now, I don't think it would be safe to assume that it did then.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com

Last edited by slow06; 02-19-2010 at 12:13 PM.
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Lifer

Quote:
But there was "the beginning" that is not accounted for in the "days"... who is to say that the earth hadn't already been sitting around for a million (of our) years or so?

Also, evening and morning implies a day, but I don't think you can assume that it was 24 hours. That doesn't even happen in all place on the earth now...
That's why I only referred to what the Bible says on the matter, in explaining why many Christians and Jews believe that Creation literally took six 24-hour days. It's up to the individual to draw their own conclusions from reading Scripture.
post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txstang1 View Post
Equally hard to believe? Not me. I find the one that is not science based a whole lot harder to believe. But that just me. I was raised going to a pentacostal my entire childhood up until 16
Fair enough.

I find it equally confusing that A) and invisible being that always existed creates something from nothing or B) there was an explosion that came from nothing and created something.

I don't find either one easy to believe, and I don't think you could convince me 100% of one or the other. I also don't believe they would have to be mutually exclusive, where it could be possible that C) an invisible being that always existed created the bang that came from nothing and created something.

- Benjamin Franklin

www.blowoutcongress.com
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Out

I believe God created everything sometime before I was born.
post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Am I the only one that wonders why God would commit genocide and kill everyone and everything with a flood after he created it?

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Out

Quote:
Am I the only one that wonders why God would commit genocide and kill everyone and everything with a flood after he created it?
Nah... I know my role. We weren't there anyway. It could have been worse then, than it is now.
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Colorado Dreamin'

I'm going to revise my previous statement and say that I believe that the machines reset the Matrix every 100 years...

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Everyone and everything wasn't killed. Noah, his wife, his sons, his son's wives, and two of every other kind of living thing of the flesh were spared.

Also, this was not genocide. Genocide targets a specific group.
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Colorado Dreamin'

Quote:
Have you never completely scrapped a project that wasn't turning out the way you wanted? But salvaged a couple of pieces first?

90 Bronco

post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Full tilt boogie !!

Quote:
Fair enough.

I find it equally confusing that A) and invisible being that always existed creates something from nothing or B) there was an explosion that came from nothing and created something.

I don't find either one easy to believe, and I don't think you could convince me 100% of one or the other. I also don't believe they would have to be mutually exclusive, where it could be possible that C) an invisible being that always existed created the bang that came from nothing and created something.
Either scenario is pausible I guess, I'm not 100% convinced eiher way, but have a hard time with he whole blind faih thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
I'm going to revise my previous statement and say that I believe that the machines reset the Matrix every 100 years...
Now this discussion is going somewhere !!!!!!!

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.

post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Everyone and everything wasn't killed. Noah, his wife, his sons, his son's wives, and two of every other kind of living thing of the flesh were spared.

Also, this was not genocide. Genocide targets a specific group.
Killing everyone but a 2 people is genocide in my book. And God did not spare two of every living thing. Only the "good" ones. In Genesis, he says for Noah to get two of every "good" animal and save them. So T-rex and Koala bears, but no serpants.

Quote:
Have you never completely scrapped a project that wasn't turning out the way you wanted? But salvaged a couple of pieces first?
I guess you have a point

So who killed more....God or Hitler? Both kinda had the same goal. Wipe out all the bad ones and start over with a new master race

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #31 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Banned

When I was a child, my grandmother told me that the Earth was only 6,000 years old and that god put the dinosaur bones there to trick us. If I could pinpoint a moment in my life where I began to shun religion, that would be it.
post #32 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
When I was a child, my grandmother told me that the Earth was only 6,000 years old and that god put the dinosaur bones there to trick us. If I could pinpoint a moment in my life where I began to shun religion, that would be it.
Well, no wonder...
post #33 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Killing everyone but a 2 people is genocide in my book. And God did not spare two of every living thing. Only the "good" ones. In Genesis, he says for Noah to get two of every "good" animal and save them. So T-rex and Koala bears, but no serpants.
First, Noah, his wife, his sons, and his son's wives equals 8 people, not 2.

Second, Genesis says that Noah was to take seven pairs of "clean" beasts, two pairs of "unclean" beasts, and seven pairs of fowls with him on the ark. Two of "everything that creepeth upon the earth" also went in, according to Genesis. I see nothing in Genesis about taking only "good" ones, while excludiing serpents.
post #34 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
God put the fossils there to test our faith.
I think god put you here to test my faith dude- Bill Hicks

Dreaming of my future creation....
post #35 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Lifer

There is no "God". So ridiculous.

Dreaming of my future creation....
post #36 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
First, Noah, his wife, his sons, and his son's wives equals 8 people, not 2.

Second, Genesis says that Noah was to take seven pairs of "clean" beasts, two pairs of "unclean" beasts, and seven pairs of fowls with him on the ark. Two of "everything that creepeth upon the earth" also went in, according to Genesis. I see nothing in Genesis about taking only "good" ones, while excludiing serpents.

Now you have me reading it again... I read it but you are correct on the 3 sons and wives + Noah and wife.

I forget where I read it...maybe the old testament version? I had to do this for my literature class a while back.

Either way, God is a mass murderer. Drowning everyone but the people he wanted to keep. And realistically... he should probably flood the world again. Way to much crime, poverty and hunger. Holy wars and terrorists.... his 2nd go round didnt work out that well. Maybe his 2nd mass murder weapon is "global warming"

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #37 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Out

Quote:
Now you have me reading it again... I read it but you are correct on the 3 sons and wives + Noah and wife.

I forget where I read it...maybe the old testament version? I had to do this for my literature class a while back.

Either way, God is a mass murderer. Drowning everyone but the people he wanted to keep.
Again, you weren't there, but I think He wanted/wants to help everyone (thus giving us Jesus). He also loves us so much that He gives us free will to make our own decisions. How do you know those people didn't- without a doubt- reject Him?
post #38 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 331coupe View Post
Ya... it just happened one day, huh?
post #39 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 331coupe View Post
Never heard that one in here before....good, original-thinking post.
post #40 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Lifer

Quote:

Either way, God is a mass murderer. Drowning everyone but the people he wanted to keep. And realistically... he should probably flood the world again. Way to much crime, poverty and hunger. Holy wars and terrorists.... his 2nd go round didnt work out that well. Maybe his 2nd mass murder weapon is "global warming"
God is not a mass murderer. Murder and killing are two completely diffewrent things, both as recorded in the Bible and in our secular world of today. He will not flood the world again either, since He said so in Genesis 8.
post #41 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Again, you weren't there, but I think He wanted/wants to help everyone (thus giving us Jesus). He also loves us so much that He gives us free will to make our own decisions. How do you know those people didn't- without a doubt- reject Him?
The problem is, you are Christian. Look at all the Muslims that believe in their own religion. Do you think God gave them the want to kill Americans because they dont believe in our ways? The women dont have free will to make their own decisions.

I respect religion for I have seen a couple people I know find help for themselves through prayer and belief, but have realized that a blind faith in something we cannot prove, yet believe cannot control my life.

Where did God come from? Space? Just popped up? He is invisible. How could he create Earth and people? To have "faith" and just "believe" that God created people from nothing is hard to believe. I know the same can be said for the big bang theory. The idea of an invisible character creating something from nothing and instilling a belief into people to follow his ways is just hard to believe. The ideas and foundations of religion are good. Lots of morals and simple ways of live can be learned through the bible.

I have had many questions and have asked people I know who are very religious...asked a few questions to a Catholic Deacon, and no one can quite answer the questions. The canned answer is that we must just believe.

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #42 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
God is not a mass murderer. Murder and killing are two completely diffewrent things, both as recorded in the Bible and in our secular world of today. He will not flood the world again either, since He said so in Genesis 8.
He had the Israelites murder everyone in Jericho.

He opened up the ground and swallowed a large chunk of the diaspora because they casted a golden calf.

He killed everyone in Sodom and Gomorrah.
post #43 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Come on man... when one person intentionally goes out and kills a bunch of people..he is not a murderer? Timothy McVeigh... Blew up a building and "killed" lots of people...intentionally. Is he just a killer? This wasnt an accident.

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #44 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Lifer

Timothy McVeigh was a murderer.
post #45 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:
He had the Israelites murder everyone in Jericho.

He opened up the ground and swallowed a large chunk of the diaspora because they casted a golden calf.

He killed everyone in Sodom and Gomorrah.
Do you the consider the dropping of atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki by the U.S. to have been murder?
post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Do you the consider the dropping of atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki by the U.S. to have been murder?
We sure did murder a lot of innocent women and children who were in no way involved in the war effort.

I do not disagree with the bombing, but I find it hard to believe that a loving god would have demanded no quarter for people in the town.
post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Colorado Dreamin'

Quote:
I do not disagree with the bombing, but I find it hard to believe that a loving god would have demanded no quarter for people in the town.
According to the bible there are many instances of him being less than a "loving god" which is one of the reasons I am not a worshipper.

Not only are there those instances mentioned above but the whole idea of testing people is a big problem for me. The story of Job is another example. He basically allows Satan to torture Job to prove a point. Not very loving in my opinion.

90 Bronco

post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
According to the bible there are many instances of him being less than a "loving god" which is one of the reasons I am not a worshipper.

Not only are there those instances mentioned above but the whole idea of testing people is a big problem for me. The story of Job is another example. He basically allows Satan to torture Job to prove a point. Not very loving in my opinion.
I agree with you 100% chili.
post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Lifer

Quote:

Job is an example of faith and trust in God enabling man to overcome the greatest of adversity. God chose the individuals He did during Old Testament times for His own reasons, but universally they were ordinary people with no exemplary station in life, an everyman of sorts. To have been Abraham, Moses, Joshua, Job, Noah, or any of the other men of faith the Bible tells us about must have been the greatest honor imaginable. I could only hope to perform a similar calling as well as these men did.
post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:06 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Interesting book: Genesis and the Big Bang - Gerald Schroeder

Having some understanding of science (ie. special relativity) helps.

I don't feel like typing an essay at the moment but I believe it does a very good job of reconciling religion and science (in terms of creation, anyway).

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement