My confession this afternoon... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

My confession this afternoon...

I'm getting married this Saturday at a catholic church. So I must go to confession this afternoon. Honestly, I have not been the most religious person since becoming a teenager (I'm 26). The father gave me a write up on the seven deadly sins to use as a guide as well a couple of psalms. I have read through them and wrote out what I think is a pretty complete confession...however, this is my first confession since I was 11 years old. How detailed does his have to be? Any tips? anybody gone through one recently? I'm anxious and nervous but I think it'll be a good experience. TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:23 AM
Eagles>Cowboys

Well seeing as at the end of your confession you are suppose to state....

" for these and all of my sins, I am sorry"

So I would spill what is most importnat or most wrong in your own mind, then that last statement takes care of the rest. I went to Catholic school for 8 years growing up, but I haven't been inside a Catholic church in a loooooooooooong time..........

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Pilgrim

Why must you go to confession? Can you show me a single New Testament account of someone confessing to a priest?

It sounds like you are just going through the motions.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 02:11 AM
Banned

Out of all of the Christian denominations, I actually respect Catholicism the most. If there is a God and he is in on this conversation between you and the priest, just be sure you say the things you remember, and that you regret.

We are human. We're not perfect. If you confess the things that you truly believe that you did wrong then there will be no problems.

Congratulations on your marriage. I hope it will be a good one.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 04:50 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto_GTZ View Post
I'm getting married this Saturday at a catholic church. So I must go to confession this afternoon. Honestly, I have not been the most religious person since becoming a teenager (I'm 26). The father gave me a write up on the seven deadly sins to use as a guide as well a couple of psalms. I have read through them and wrote out what I think is a pretty complete confession...however, this is my first confession since I was 11 years old. How detailed does his have to be? Any tips? anybody gone through one recently? I'm anxious and nervous but I think it'll be a good experience. TIA.
It's good for the soul, my man. Start with a "clean slate", more or less. It's more important what you do AFTER your married than what you did in the past. Good luck with your marriage!

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 08:37 PM
600 hp 13 forward gears

Location: 99 Peterbilt 379 ex. hood 600 ISX cummins Rollin down the super slab !
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
Out of all of the Christian denominations, I actually respect Catholicism the most. If there is a God and he is in on this conversation between you and the priest, just be sure you say the things you remember, and that you regret.

We are human. We're not perfect. If you confess the things that you truly believe that you did wrong then there will be no problems.

Congratulations on your marriage. I hope it will be a good one.
Catholicism OMG are you serious ? Respect it the most ?

Fox stang coupe
97 F-250 4x4 crew cab shorty smokes really bad sometimes ???
Future cummins conversion above.
rice rocket for a daily.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxturbo View Post
Catholicism OMG are you serious ? Respect it the most ?
More than the protestant denominations? You're damn right. Protestant denominations are all about "How can religion be the most convenient for us?" They supposedly worship the same god, but believe that the same god has different expectations from it's followers.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
More than the protestant denominations? You're damn right. Protestant denominations are all about "How can religion be the most convenient for us?" They supposedly worship the same god, but believe that the same god has different expectations from it's followers.
You have not studied much on Reformed Baptists and Reformed Presbyterians then...

Here is an mp3 from Reformed Baptist on why he is a Christian>

http://mp3.aomin.org/JRW/WhyAmIAChristian.mp3
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 10:20 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

What about the priesthood of the believer? Why should someone have to go to a priest to confess? Why couldn't a person just confess straight to God? It's none of the priest's business. My sins are between me and God and do not include a "middle man". That's all a Catholic priest is to me, a middle man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillystang View Post
Why must you go to confession? Can you show me a single New Testament account of someone confessing to a priest?

It sounds like you are just going through the motions.
They won't be able to show you because it doesn't exist. Confession to a priest ended with the destruction of the temple upon Jesus's death. When the curtain tore, the believer became the priest and could talk straight to God.

Last edited by HOOCBB; 02-02-2010 at 10:25 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post
What about the priesthood of the believer? Why should someone have to go to a priest to confess? Why couldn't a person just confess straight to God? It's none of the priest's business. My sins are between me and God and do not include a "middle man". That's all a Catholic priest is to me, a middle man.

They won't be able to show you because it doesn't exist. Confession to a priest ended with the destruction of the temple upon Jesus's death. When the curtain tore, the believer became the priest and could talk straight to God.
What he said ^. I am a Lutheran and my wife is a Catholic. We agree on most things and this is one of them.

2003 Torch Red Mach 1 (Almost moddin' time!)
1970 Fastback (Ready for paint!)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

I'm back from my honeymoon so I'm just now reading the majority of these replies. It's been a little crazy lately. If it seemed like I was "going through the motions" it may be because I haven't practiced my religion since I was a kid. It' s no secret that I'm not familiar with the customs or traditions of the church, but I have certainly
taken it all very seriously and done my best.

As for the confession...I said everything I remembered and it helped me reflect on my behavior and past actions. It wasn't like a weight was magically lifted off my shoulders or anything, but it did help me reflect on my past actions and behavior in general. It helped me, but this is only my experience. I can't promise i'll start attending church religiously (ha?) or anything extreme, because that would not be right since I can't make that promise yet. But ever since I started spending some time at the church (after I got engaged) I've warmed up to it which surprised me. I am a newbie when it comes to religion in general I never gave it much thought but I want it to have a place in my new married life. Thanks for all the replies!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Time Served

I am unaware of confession to a priest ever existing in the Old or New Testament.

Leviticus 5:4-6 (NKJV)
4 ‘Or if a person swears, speaking thoughtlessly with his lips to do evil or to do good, whatever it is that a man may pronounce by an oath, and he is unaware of it—when he realizes it, then he shall be guilty in any of these matters.
5 ‘And it shall be, when he is guilty in any of these matters, that he shall confess that he has sinned in that thing; 6 and he shall bring his trespass offering to the LORD for his sin which he has committed, a female from the flock, a lamb or a kid of the goats as a sin offering. So the priest shall make atonement for him concerning his sin.

Nowhere in that passage from the Law does it say to confess to the priest. The confession is made to God directly. It is only the sacrifice that must be taken to the priest so the priest can make the atoning sacrifice for the person. This was because the priests were the only ones allowed to do that. God has always been about personal relationship, and that is why sins are to be confessed directly to Him, both in the Old and New Testaments. You will not find a place in the Bible where a person confesses to a priest. Here's proof of that:

Joshua 7:19
Now Joshua said to Achan, “My son, I beg you, give glory to the LORD God of Israel, and make confession to Him, and tell me now what you have done; do not hide it from me.”

As you can see, confession is to be made to God, not a priest.

- Brian
1992 Taurus SHO

Last edited by BrianC; 02-15-2010 at 09:51 AM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto_GTZ View Post
I'm back from my honeymoon so I'm just now reading the majority of these replies. It's been a little crazy lately. If it seemed like I was "going through the motions" it may be because I haven't practiced my religion since I was a kid. It' s no secret that I'm not familiar with the customs or traditions of the church, but I have certainly
taken it all very seriously and done my best.

As for the confession...I said everything I remembered and it helped me reflect on my behavior and past actions. It wasn't like a weight was magically lifted off my shoulders or anything, but it did help me reflect on my past actions and behavior in general. It helped me, but this is only my experience. I can't promise i'll start attending church religiously (ha?) or anything extreme, because that would not be right since I can't make that promise yet. But ever since I started spending some time at the church (after I got engaged) I've warmed up to it which surprised me. I am a newbie when it comes to religion in general I never gave it much thought but I want it to have a place in my new married life. Thanks for all the replies!
I wouldn't cozy up to "religion". Religion is man's attempt to define who God is and to create rules that supposedly get you to Heaven. You don't want religion in your marriage - you want God in your marriage. I wouldn't go through priests or a church to reach God. I'd go through my heart. While many protestant denominations are also "religious" instead of spiritual in nature, at least many of them acknowledge direct relationship with God rather than going through a priest or preacher.

Besides, church today is nothing like Jesus taught Paul to set it up. Back in the first-century, the first Christians were originally Jewish, so they were Messianic Jews. They met in homes. A building was not called a "church". The people were called the "church". Ekklesia is the Greek word used in the Bible, which is more accurately translated as "the assembly". You wouldn't call a building an assembly, you'd call the people the assembly.

Back then, the assembly was a bunch of people partying in honor of what Jesus did for them. At sunset Saturday night, up to 40 people would gather at one of their homes. You would walk in to find music, people singing and dancing and orderves, much like parties today. It was all very Jewish.

Then, there would be a big meal. You'll know it as "communion", though the term didn't come around till the 8th century, if I'm not mistaken. They would start the meal off by breaking bread and everyone eating a peice of it. They would eat the meal then at the end, they would pass around a cup of wine everyone would drink from. Those two things were done in rememberance of Jesus' last supper, which is where we get communion from. Just as He and the apostles had a meal, so did the Christians back then.

There was no preacher/pastor/priest, because all of us were called Kings and Priests. After the meal, an elder would stand and read a Psalm and/or an apostle's letter to one of the churches. Then, it was open-floor. The people would each, individually, share what God was putting on their hearts to teach the others. Everyone was a teacher, and everyone learned. Jesus was the head, and He would speak through His people. Everyone got to be used by Him, where as nowadays, everyone sits idle and listens to a preacher tell what his denomination believes about God. They don't get used by God weekly, and so they are not fulfilled sitting in a church. Most of them don't get to help others frequently like they used to throughout the week in the first-century church, which brought in many converts. Anyway, eventually, after the revelations from God ceased, the people would head home for the night.

In the 400 AD era, Constantine became emperor and mixed Paganism with Christianity, and suddenly it was illegal to meet in homes, and temples/cathedrals/"churches" were commanded as the meeting place for Christians (they were mostly converted Pagan temples). No one got to teach anymore unless they were "schooled" first. They changed from doing the meal to a priest administering "communion" eventually, and they changed from confession straight to God to confession to a priest. You see, Constantine hated the Jews and wanted to wipe out all Jewish tradition from Christanity, and the "church" building was part of his way of doing it. Most everything in Catholic tradition has Paganism mixed in with it. I'll explain...

When Constantine mixed Paganism and Christianity and they started using Pagan temples as churches, lots of Roman Pagan tradition got mixed in, as well. The priests, for instance, were just like the Roman priests. Look at the Roman Pagan priest's robes. You'll find that they not only have the exact same look as the Catholic robes, but they both even share the semetrical Pagan cross on the collar. Gee, why would the Pope have a Pagan cross on his robe collar instead of a Christian cross? Strange, right?

Well, the pope's hat comes from the Pagan god Picies, the fish god. Originally, the fish god was called Nicolae, and in the Bible they were called the Nicolaetins. Nicolae was half man, half fish. If you look up some pictures of their drawings of him, you'll find that he basically wore a fishhead on his head pointed straight up, and the body of the fish went down his back and the tail flipped out at his feet. This is where the cloak came from. It's why the Pope wears robes and a cloak. The cloak is the flowing fish body with the flare at the end being the fish tale, and the hat is the fish's mouth pointed straight up, hense the open mouth of the hat. Compare the pictures of the old Pagan priests and Pagan crosses that predate Christ and you'll see how they're exactly like the Pope's robes.

Also, let's not forget where old Saint Nick came from. Saint Nick is also from the Pagan fish god Nicolae, hense the name St. Nicolas. Look up some old pictures of the Roman god Jupiter. It would seem the Romans were mixing gods or something to that effect, because they ended up giving their god Jupiter a different hat than the fish hat. Instead, he wore a triangular hat with a ball on top, exactly like St. Nick's hat. In fact, you can still go to cathedrals today over in Europe and see his statuette on display. Oh, but he's not called Jupiter in the chathedral. His name is St. Peter. You see, many of the Pagan idols were placed in the temples back then and pawned off as Catholic saints. There's one church in which the statuette of St. Peter (aka - Jupiter) has no toe left on his foot, because it's worn off from years and years of people kissing the toe. This is where they got the kissing of the Pope's papal ring.

Oh, and many of those catherals were built, in all of their gold plated glory, with money from sins. Yep, that's right. The Catholic church was selling "indulgences" back then to build their churches and bring money in. Indulgences were get-out-of-jail-free cards. You could pay to sin, basically. If you wanted to rape a 14 year old girl, you paid about $2.17 cents, approximately, and the church would give you a piece of paper (an indulgence) so that when you were caught raping a girl, you would give it to the church and you were let go. For less than $5, you could commit murder and get away scott free. That's how those glorious cathedrals were built back in the 12th century.

Oh, and let's not forget the many cathedrals built entirely out of the bones of Christian martyrs. Wouldn't you absolutely love to go to church and be stared at by thousands of skulls in the walls? If you haven't done it, well then you haven't lived!! lol You see, back then, they were mystics. They believed those bones and anything a Christian martyr had touched was a powerful relic. This is how the Holy Grail became famous, and wars were supposedly fought over it. However, those wars were just a cover, in reality. The crusades were supposedly to go and find the Holy Grail and free the Holy Land. However, what you find out historically is that the leader of the Holy Roman Empire wanted to expand his empire and he had heard that the Holy Land was ripe with resources that would make him rich. So, the Catholic church told the people that if they went and fought in the Crusades, their sins would be forgiven. And that is how they got so many willing soldiers to go down and kill the Muslims. The Catholics owned the Holy Land for a VERY very short time, and then the Muslims took it back again. While I like the idea of Christians possessing the Promised Land, I'm not sure that was the best way to go about it. lol

I can go on and on about all of the Paganism that makes up most of Catholicism and how very little of it comes from the Bible, but that would be a VERY long conversation.

All of that is to say this: find God in your heart, not in a church or in "religion". Through most of the Bible, God, His prophets and His apostles and disciples are fighting religion, not trying to build it. Religion killed the prophets, religion killed the 12 apostles and martyred millions of innocent Christians. Religion is flat out evil, and that's why God was fighting against it all throughout the Bible, and that's why so many people hate religion and hate God because of what religion has done and how religion has misrepresented Him. God is about relationship, not about rules. Jesus freed us from the law of sin and death and placed us under the Spirit of Grace, so that there is now no more condemnation for those whom are in Christ Jesus, and nothing can separate you from His love and salvation (Romans 7-8). Don't buy into the religious tradition that supposedly saves you. It's Jesus that saves you, not being a good little convert. Ask God to teach you, and learn for yourself by reading the Bible, don't let religious teachers dupe you. God loves His people and will share His wisdom with them directly, not through a preacher. While preachers can teach lots of truth, they can teach lots of false truths as well and get you really messed up. I know the Mennonties and the Southern Baptists (assuming they're part of the Southern Baptist Convention) are about the closest to the truth of any Protestant denominations I can think of. At least looking into some of their doctrines can give you a little insight into some truths which are not quite along the lines of Catholicism. But primarily, you want to entrust your heart and your wisdom to Jesus and let Him teach you through His Bible and through relationship with Him. He sais to worship Him in deed and in truth.

1 John 3:18
My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.

John 4:24
"God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.

Seek Him in your heart, not in religion. That is where you'll find what you're looking for. When I was born again, I felt all of my sins, shame and guild fall right off of me instantly, and I felt God's love and peace and joy course through my entire being. It was an indescribable feeling of freedom and joy. It was like someone had turned on the lightswitch to the world, and I understood it for what it really was, black and white, instead of shades of grey. It was absolutely amazing. Heck, my grades even went WAY up in school because my mind was much clearer instead of guilt-ridden and shameful. I hope you, too, will find that one day in Jesus. Oh, and if you're thankful for everything you have, you can't be lacking in anything, and you will live in contentment.

- Brian
1992 Taurus SHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement