chalk - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
tenacious j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: arlington
Posts: 2,198
chalk

funny thing happened in my philosophy of religion class today.

the teacher picked up a piece of chalk and started writing on the board, and the chalk broke. no big deal, so he picks up another piece of chalk and starts to write and it breaks. so now he goes on about how that only happens once or twice a semester and how odd it was to happen twice in the same day.

so he picks up a third piece of chalk and says, "ok if this one breaks then there is a God and he is punishing me for something". he starts to write and it breaks. well the class got a laugh and he turned it into part of his lecture, but it was obvious he wished he hadn't said it. he hasn't said anything about his personal beliefs, but i read that he is an atheist.

i figured the Christians would get a kick out of that story.

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
tenacious j is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Lifer
 
mstng86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Forney, TX
Posts: 7,612
It's funny how someone who is an atheist is teaching the phylosophy of religion. I guess it kind of makes sense. It would pretty much make the professor unbiased across the board with all the religions.
mstng86 is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Lifer
 
slow06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
It's funny how someone who is an atheist is teaching the phylosophy of religion. I guess it kind of makes sense. It would pretty much make the professor unbiased across the board with all the religions.
More like biased across the entire board. Most religions are based on some sort of higher power, which an atheist rejects. He would not necessarily favor Christianity over Islam, but personally he would reject them all and possibly be slanted against them.

The OP sounds like a forwarded e-mail. Not saying you are lying, but there is a story much like this about dropping chalk and it not breaking. Did this really happen?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
slow06 is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Lifer
 
mstng86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Forney, TX
Posts: 7,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
More like biased across the entire board. Most religions are based on some sort of higher power, which an atheist rejects. He would not necessarily favor Christianity over Islam, but personally he would reject them all and possibly be slanted against them.

The OP sounds like a forwarded e-mail. Not saying you are lying, but there is a story much like this about dropping chalk and it not breaking. Did this really happen?
eh, you say bias because he doesn't believe in any of it, I say unbiased because he doesn't believe in it. But we both are saying the same thing.

I never heard that story, but I wouldn't put it past a professor to do it intentionally.
mstng86 is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
tenacious j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: arlington
Posts: 2,198
yeah, it happened this morning in class. it was definitely unintentional. he probably talked the last 15 minutes of class about it, as in how there was a natural explanation for it. it wasn't that big a deal to me, there was a couple more pieces of chalk that broke after. probably just cheap chalk. but, i figured there were some people on here that would appreciate it.

he is a good teacher, and he hasn't addressed any of his beliefs. i read online he was an atheist. we pretty much read arguments from one philosopher about the existence of God or a supreme creator, and then read an opposing argument and discuss that we understand what the arguments are.

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
tenacious j is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:52 AM
insert something aqui
 
junior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: grand prairie
Posts: 5,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious j View Post
yeah, it happened this morning in class. it was definitely unintentional. he probably talked the last 15 minutes of class about it, as in how there was a natural explanation for it. it wasn't that big a deal to me, there was a couple more pieces of chalk that broke after. probably just cheap chalk. but, i figured there were some people on here that would appreciate it.

he is a good teacher, and he hasn't addressed any of his beliefs. i read online he was an atheist. we pretty much read arguments from one philosopher about the existence of God or a supreme creator, and then read an opposing argument and discuss that we understand what the arguments are.
beat me to it!

i was going to say it was cheap chalk...

although i have heard a few atheist people (friends of mine) say "oh my god" when something happens - but then again that is just a phrase so anyone can use or say it.

1991 lx 5.0

lil ol 302

Back In The Jackstand Racing Crew!
junior is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Lifer
 
Avery'sDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Red Oak
Posts: 1,509
God dangit Jesus Christ. Just because chalk broke doesn't mean there is a higher being involved. Good Lord.
Avery'sDad is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Lifer
 
Lason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: arlington
Posts: 11,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
beat me to it!

i was going to say it was cheap chalk...

although i have heard a few atheist people (friends of mine) say "oh my god" when something happens - but then again that is just a phrase so anyone can use or say it.
Yep I do that all the time and people look at me funny. Im atheist but there was a time when I wasnt and the sayings just stuck. Im also guilty of the GD bomb but try to quit just to keep the bible thumpers around me happy.
Lason is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Banned
 
poopnut2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: On the Fence
Posts: 20,196
I don't know about a true atheist, but it's probably good that somebody who's not going to show any favoritism towards one religion or another is teaching it. That's funny though because if there is a God, I won't grab another beer out of the fridge here in about four more ounces.

I'll let you know how it works out.

EDIT: I got my beer.

Last edited by poopnut2; 09-01-2009 at 08:49 PM.
poopnut2 is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Lifer
 
futant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 1,664
that is funny
someone teaching faith that has none
funniest thing ive heard in a while actually

the question is
if he is a true athiest, wouldn't he think his career is worthless and a waste of his life?
or does he think he's doing the world a favor? lol

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
futant is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.
 
Slowhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Howard Johnson's Earthlight Room
Posts: 12,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by futant View Post
that is funny
someone teaching faith that has none
funniest thing ive heard in a while actually

the question is
if he is a true athiest, wouldn't he think his career is worthless and a waste of his life?
or does he think he's doing the world a favor? lol
He's not teaching faith, he's teaching the mechanics of religion. The former is untowardly subjective and the latter is largely objective.

Slowhand is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Freethinker
 
5.0 svo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Waco,TX
Posts: 3,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious j View Post
funny thing happened in my philosophy of religion class today.

the teacher picked up a piece of chalk and started writing on the board, and the chalk broke. no big deal, so he picks up another piece of chalk and starts to write and it breaks. so now he goes on about how that only happens once or twice a semester and how odd it was to happen twice in the same day.

so he picks up a third piece of chalk and says, "ok if this one breaks then there is a God and he is punishing me for something". he starts to write and it breaks. well the class got a laugh and he turned it into part of his lecture, but it was obvious he wished he hadn't said it. he hasn't said anything about his personal beliefs, but i read that he is an atheist.

i figured the Christians would get a kick out of that story.
It was a self fulfilled prophecy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
....LMAO @.... trying to figure out how to make a Utopian society!
In a perfect world the police would get paid to do nothing. So next time you see a cop eatin a donut, Yell.. Hey! Good Job!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Variable-speed-Limits
5.0 svo is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Lifer
 
futant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
He's not teaching faith, he's teaching the mechanics of religion. The former is untowardly subjective and the latter is largely objective.
that's interesting I thought religion was faith based, but you seem to know it all.
Just like that teacher guy i bet.

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
futant is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 12:47 AM
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by futant View Post
that is funny
someone teaching faith that has none
funniest thing ive heard in a while actually

the question is
if he is a true athiest, wouldn't he think his career is worthless and a waste of his life?
or does he think he's doing the world a favor? lol
So all criminal psychologists are felons?

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Colorado Dreamin'
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Clueless, Texas
Posts: 13,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by futant View Post
that is funny
someone teaching faith that has none
funniest thing ive heard in a while actually

the question is
if he is a true athiest, wouldn't he think his career is worthless and a waste of his life?
or does he think he's doing the world a favor? lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
He's not teaching faith, he's teaching the mechanics of religion. The former is untowardly subjective and the latter is largely objective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by futant View Post
that's interesting I thought religion was faith based, but you seem to know it all.
Just like that teacher guy i bet.
You still don't get it. He is not teaching a sunday school class, he's teaching philosophy as it relates to religion. You don't have to espouse a particular philosophy in order to teach it.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
Chili is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome