Anyone familiar with catholic laws? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Fear the lawn gnome

Anyone familiar with catholic laws?

I'm having some issues getting a marriage affidavit signed by a father in the town my dad resides. I am not catholic, my fience is. He stated that he has no obligation to sign it since i am not a member of his church and or never been baptized.

My major problem is the father doing the wedding is on vacation for the next 3 weeks. He will not be back until the wedding. Without this form he cannot perform the ceremony. It was supposed to be no big deal as father put it. Appearntly it is. As of right now i wont be getting married at the church where thousands have been spent. invites all sent and back.

(sorry for the bad grammar/spelling. I'm a little freaked at the moment.)

What you might call solitude is something i look forward to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

is it her church? or just one you randomly picked?

04 silvy: Ls powered w/cam, headers, gears, stall

91 lx coupe: Lq4 swap in the works..
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Fear the lawn gnome

Her church is 6 hours north. All the father of the church in my home town has todo is be a witness. My father is sapposed to sign and then him and he marks it with the perish seal.

The problem is that he wont sign. He stated that the catholic law says he has no obligation to sign since im not a member of his church or been baptised.

Basically he is refusing to be a witness. The church we are hopefully getting married at now is in the town we live in. Both sides of the family will be travlinf 6 to 15 hours or more to attend. The other closest catholic church is 3 hours away from my father and there is no way he can leave todo this. Heck he has spent 2 days talking to the father in my home town.

This wouldnt be a problem if i could get in touch with the father here.

What you might call solitude is something i look forward to.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 03:04 AM
老师

This is one of the reasons I think the Catholic church is so bogus. Of course he has no obligation to sign it, but the fact that one of the members of his faith wants to marry you must mean you are worth something right? Forget obligation, how about a little human fucking decency...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

He's using a force recruit tactic on you. Just get married elsewhere.
...Or have him throw some water on your head.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 01:33 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

The only way a priest/father will sign the affidavit for you is if you've been a member of the parish where the priest is presiding and that you can provide proof of all your sacraments. I don't blame him for not signing it cause this all falls on the priest. The sacrament of marriage is not taking lightly in the Catholic Church. You have a couple of options here:
1) Go thru RCIA and get all your sacraments and he will then sign the paper... of course this is a 9 month class.
2) You do an interfaith marriage, but you would still have to complete 6 mo marriage classes.

It sounds like your soon to be spouse is Catholic with all her sacraments. If she marries you outside of the Catholic Church then she can not take communion as she is living in sin cause a marriage outside of the Catholic church is not a marriage in the eyes of GOD therefore you're holding her back from eternal salvation. As Catholics we can only reach salvation by works meaning sacraments. If she gets married outside the Catholic Church then she will never will be allowed to be a Godparent as she is not living out her Catholic faith to the fullest.

The very last option which I wouldnt really suggest, but is to get married at the JP court then go thru RCIA then validate your marriage by getting it blessed by the church. To connect with her on a spiritual level is worth more than any material possesion in the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement