What does it matter? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Banned

What does it matter?

This new thread will probably go down so fast, but I don't care.

Nobody is going to change the others opinion. Live together for whatever's sake. It's like America going to the middle east. "Hey, let's change their whole way of life." Are you fucking kidding me? They have been fighting for centuries! Let them fight! Nobody going in there and saying "Hey, stop! Try democracy!" is gonna change anything. It's like introducing a blind person to a new form of braille. The new solution is no better than what's already going on.

I'll leave it at that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Punk Ass Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post

Nobody is going to change the others opinion. Live together for whatever's sake. It's like America going to the middle east. "Hey, let's change their whole way of life." Are you fucking kidding me? They have been fighting for centuries! Let them fight! Nobody going in there and saying "Hey, stop! Try democracy!" is gonna change anything. It's like introducing a blind person to a new form of braille. The new solution is no better than what's already going on.

I'll leave it at that.
The idea is not to change any ones opinion, or way of life, the idea is to open their eyes, and realize why other people believe, and do what they do. And most of all, learn from one another.

91 Coupe, off road h, underdrive pulleys, short belt with a/c, electric fans and 3.73s. 3060lbs. Daily driven 20mpg average.

All stock 91 coupe. Stang' Bangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I just want to smoke weed, be naked, and play video games.That is all.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxBodyMike View Post
The idea is not to change any ones opinion, or way of life, the idea is to open their eyes, and realize why other people believe, and do what they do. And most of all, learn from one another.
I'll give you the "learn from one another part" but, everyone, especially here, has set beliefs. Do you honestly think that anyone is "learning" from somebody else?

Everyone is preaching to a choir. A choir with different beliefs.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Punk Ass Kid

Quote:
I'll give you the "learn from one another part" but, everyone, especially here, has set beliefs. Do you honestly think that anyone is "learning" from somebody else?

Everyone is preaching to a choir. A choir with different beliefs.
That is the problem, they need to learn, or see why, people believe or don't believe.

I know in my life, the people who believe tend to judge the ones who do not believe, and that is bullshit.

I do not believe anything, and i have my own reasons, but for those who do believe do not lose my respect by any means. Everyone does something for a reason, and i was saying people need to realize other peoples reasons to get a better understanding of why the other does what they do.

And, you are right there is no point in discussing the topic because nothing is going to change, its like talking to a brick wall.

91 Coupe, off road h, underdrive pulleys, short belt with a/c, electric fans and 3.73s. 3060lbs. Daily driven 20mpg average.

Quote:
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxBodyMike View Post
That is the problem, they need to learn, or see why, people believe or don't believe.

I know in my life, the people who believe tend to judge the ones who do not believe, and that is bullshit.

I do not believe anything, and i have my own reasons, but for those who do believe do not lose my respect by any means. Everyone does something for a reason, and i was saying people need to realize other peoples reasons to get a better understanding of why the other does what they do.

And, you are right there is no point in discussing the topic because nothing is going to change, its like talking to a brick wall.
Well define "learn." Is teaching somebody something that is not a concrete fact, helping them learn? Like the title post says..."what does it matter?" People are going to be told different things.

Look at it this way...

Let's say you have a kid who says "I learned addition."

Addition is just word. What if it had no meaning at this point?

What if "addition" meant how to make a sandwich?

I know that it's a stretch, bu t what if everything is "relative?"

You can't compare "learning" with "believing."

I learned christianity or atheism is just..........wrong. You cant learn them. You might be taught them, but "learning" them, is almost impossible. Who is to say that christianity is a certain way? You parents? Your pastor? No! They are people just like anyone else. Full of faults.

Last edited by poopnut2; 03-05-2009 at 12:01 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 12:14 AM
Punk Ass Kid

Quote:
Well define "learn." Is teaching somebody something that is not a concrete fact, helping them learn? Like the title post says..."what does it matter?" People are going to be told different things.

Look at it this way...

Let's say you have a kid who says "I learned addition."

Addition is just word. What if it had no meaning at this point?

What if "addition" meant how to make a sandwich?

I know that it's a stretch, bu t what if everything is "relative?"

You can't compare "learning" with "believing."

I learned christianity or atheism is just..........wrong. You cant learn them. You might be taught them, but "learning" them, is almost impossible. Who is to say that christianity is a certain way? You parents? Your pastor? No! They are people just like anyone else. Full of faults.
I wasn't meaning to learn about believing or non believing

i was saying to learn why people believe or do not believe.

Quote:
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 01:26 AM
Texas Rangers #1

If you are a Christian, it matters because scripture tells you to go out into the world and spread the gospel.

I can't tell you why it would matter to an atheist, or to an agnostic, because I don't see it from that point of view.

I rarely get on this forum because it seems everyone is spoiling for a fight, and they try to prove their point, or ridicule the opposing point to make themselves feel better about what they have chosen to believe.

Religion is not something you learn, just as you can't teach someone to love, you can't teach someone to have a relationship with God. Studying scriptures, prayer, fasting, etc. may help you to improve your understanding, but it can never lead to salvation.

I am a Christian, but I don't try to force my beliefs on anyone. If I get the opportunity, I will mention it, and if there is interest, I will discuss it, but the Bible says that salvation has to be personal, it can't be forced or taught.

Unfortunately history is littered with people who have tried to use religion as a weapon. It appeals to the sociopath and the demented, because if you can convince others that you are sent by God, no one has more power than you. Many atrocities have been comitted in the name of God, using religion as an excuse to do what they want. The Bible says that you will know them by their fruits, you can claim to be a Christian, but if you are being judgemental, spiteful, manipulative, and proud... you are not a Christian. Christ set the example. When he walked this earth, his friends were not the religious people of his day, he chose to assosciate himself with the prostitues, the homeless, the tax collectors, the fishermen... he called those that claimed to be superior and righteous, tombs. He said on the outside they were white and clean, but in the inside they were full of decomposition and bones.

Quote:
Matthew 23:27 (New Century Version)
"How terrible for you, teachers of the law and Pharisees! You are hypocrites! You are like tombs that are painted white. Outside, those tombs look fine, but inside, they are full of the bones of dead people and all kinds of unclean things.
I think too many times Christians, and religious people in general start acting like Pharisees. They become so enamored in their own self-rightouesness that they start looking down on those they feel are ignorant.

I'm sure the same thing applies to atheists/agnostics. They become so convinced in the superiority of their arguement, that the feel that have to attack the opposition to prove their point.

In the end, everyone gets defensive and the arguements spiral out of control. I think that it's possible, but very difficult, to have peaceful and open discussions about both sides differing views. Religion is a very polarizing subject, and it generates strong feelings from both sides. If anyone wants to have calm and respectful discussion on the subject, I will welcome it. I think there is much that both sides can learn from the other, but there has to be respect and understanding for this to work.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 06:55 AM
Lifer

I'm right, your wrong, up your's. So shut your fecal hole and disappear from this world.

Righteous, Dude!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:

I'll leave it at that.
You get into semantics with all that..

For instance..:

At what point is it worth it? If you save 10 lives because we went to Iraq, is it worth it? 1000? Maybe just one child?

It's all about standards.

I am of the opinion if I have to jump through hoops and someone hears the gospel from me or debates me and it changes their lives, then it is worth it. That is the ONLY reason I come back to the Theo. Forum.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Damn, don't make drunk posts in the Theology forum is what I've learned.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Lifer

No problem here with your posts......they might need more kowbell though
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Pilgrim

Jesus said that all the Father gives Him will come to Him. They come to Him through the preaching of the Gospel. We preach the Gospel and His sheep listen and follow Him.

2 Corinthians 2:16
15For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing;

16to the one an aroma from death to death, to the other an aroma from life to life And who is adequate for these things?

17For we are not like many, peddling the word of God, but as from sincerity, but as from God, we speak in Christ in the sight of God.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillystang View Post
Jesus said that all the Father gives Him will come to Him. They come to Him through the preaching of the Gospel. We preach the Gospel and His sheep listen and follow Him.

2 Corinthians 2:16
15For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing;

16to the one an aroma from death to death, to the other an aroma from life to life And who is adequate for these things?

17For we are not like many, peddling the word of God, but as from sincerity, but as from God, we speak in Christ in the sight of God.
I know christians think that they are saving people by teaching christianity the way it's done sometimes is wrong in my opinion. Especially in areas in other countries that are poor. "Hey...we'll give you all this food and build new houses in your community, but you have to attend daily sermons. Otherwise....best of luck." It would be like a bunch of rich jewish hollywood producers going to a trailer park and saying "hey, if you're jewish you'll have all the stuff that we have!"
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 12:21 PM
I got your Jihad!!

Quote:

I'll leave it at that.

2004 Dodge Ram SRT10 RC
2005 Big Dog Chopper 117ci
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 09:49 AM
BANNED

The bible states that there will always be conflict in the middle east. It will not end until the world ends.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 04:45 AM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:

I'll leave it at that.
You don't see any need for stability in the region?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement