Atheists Vs. Xians - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Freethinker

Atheists Vs. Xians

To say the world is to complicated for there not to be a creator is just plain (fill in the blank).... The world has evolved over millions of years. It is Complicated but it is not perfect. If you say that creation is proof that there had to be a creator then who created the creator? At some point things just had to exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
....LMAO @.... trying to figure out how to make a Utopian society!
In a perfect world the police would get paid to do nothing. So next time you see a cop eatin a donut, Yell.. Hey! Good Job!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Variable-speed-Limits
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 svo View Post
To say the world is to complicated for there not to be a creator is just plain (fill in the blank).... The world has evolved over millions of years. It is Complicated but it is not perfect. If you say that creation is proof that there had to be a creator then who created the creator? At some point things just had to exist.
You started a new thread on something that has been posted in other threads hundreds of times. Congrats.
post #3 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Freethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
You started a new thread on something that has been posted in other threads hundreds of times. Congrats.
No I continued a thread that was deleted by the thiest.

Quote:
In a perfect world the police would get paid to do nothing. So next time you see a cop eatin a donut, Yell.. Hey! Good Job!

post #4 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's not like this was the only time it's been mentioned. This is a never ending argument. No one person is going to make a believer not believe and vice versa. What's the point. I've tried it plenty of times, with no success. You want to believe in scientific process, well I've experimented many a times, with no successful conclusion. Move on.
post #5 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
It's not like this was the only time it's been mentioned. This is a never ending argument. No one person is going to make a believer not believe and vice versa. What's the point. I've tried it plenty of times, with no success. You want to believe in scientific process, well I've experimented many a times, with no successful conclusion. Move on.
He's right, what do you plan is going to happen in this thread? Do you really think that every believer will just stop believing because your just that good at e-arguing?

BTW you make the assumption that if you believe in God you can't believe in evolution, wrong again

Working on my project Stang
post #6 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Exclamation

Totally worthwhile discussions, IMO.

post #7 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Which one's the clutch?

I like turtles.

1987 Nissan pick up-wrecked
1984 Ponitiac grand am-sold
1988 Buick lasabre-sold
1987 Nissan 300zx-sold intake/exhaust
2001 Yamaha r6-sold slip on
2004 Yamaha r1-sold full exhaust
1991 Nissan 240sx-torn down,almost built up.
1994 toyota celica-blown up. exhaust
2005 Honda accord-daily.
post #8 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Freethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5point0pony View Post
He's right, what do you plan is going to happen in this thread? Do you really think that every believer will just stop believing because your just that good at e-arguing?

BTW you make the assumption that if you believe in God you can't believe in evolution, wrong again
Let me guess, When god created Adam and Eve he made them as adults. And when god created earth he did the same thing.
Or maybe evolution was just gods way of saying "oops".

I know I will never make any theists change, but I believe that in their heart of hearts they will have doubt. Maybe just enough doubt to keep them from professing it to their children and continuing the cycle. Maybe there are young people that have not made up their minds yet reading this. And maybe, I just like to argue, especially when I know I am right.

Quote:

post #9 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Freethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craizie View Post
I like turtles.
Is that why you drive one?

Quote:

post #10 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 12:25 AM
Punk Ass Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
Totally worthwhile discussions, IMO.
x2.

Although you will never change the other persons mind about what they believe, its good to talk about to find out why they do, or not not believe. Society makes this a 'hush-hush' topic, and some religions even say its sin to question, or even think any different.

so talking about it, can be very beneficial to both parties if done correctly.

I do not think i am right, nor do i think i am wrong, i simply claim to not know, but i find it unlikely that there is a higher power. <- true Atheist.

So from now on to keep this from turning into a grudge, shit talking thread, everyone take things into consideration, and even if you do not agree try and understand where to other person is coming from, and do not immediately shun their thoughts out due to your religious or non-religious bias. Come into this convo with an open mind and everything will turn out fine.

91 Coupe, off road h, underdrive pulleys, short belt with a/c, electric fans and 3.73s. 3060lbs. Daily driven 20mpg average.

All stock 91 coupe. Stang' Bangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I just want to smoke weed, be naked, and play video games.That is all.
post #11 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Freethinker

So if you look at older bibles, did they say anything different than the modern ones?

Quote:

post #12 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 06:06 AM
Lifer

The measure of time, as we describe it, is a man-made concept. The whole of Creation, as well as the Creator, is certainly not in any way limited to concepts conceived by and accepted my man. Thus to say the earth is millions of years old does not conflict with the Bible, as the Truths revealed by the Bible in many cases occurred outside the norms of human understanding.
post #13 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Lifer

Quote:
What the heck happened?
post #14 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:31 AM
Boost is Good

I have come to believe that in the discussion of this thread we will come to know how exactly how the earth was formed fo sho...

Stand by or fight while Obama wages his war against capitalism...
post #15 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:31 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Let me guess, When god created Adam and Eve he made them as adults. And when god created earth he did the same thing.
Or maybe evolution was just gods way of saying "oops".

I know I will never make any theists change, but I believe that in their heart of hearts they will have doubt. Maybe just enough doubt to keep them from professing it to their children and continuing the cycle. Maybe there are young people that have not made up their minds yet reading this. And maybe, I just like to argue, especially when I know I am right.
I am a geologist, a very educated on the history of the Earth Christian, i believe that evolution does occur, you really can not deny it IMO, but that does not mean that God did not create the first life that gave way to the start of it, IMO if EVERYTHING that exists as a living being all came from a single cell start, i think that is more miraculous than just snapping fingers and being done with it, and it would make since and align with the 7 days....the order anyway(not a believer in a true 7 day)
post #16 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 10:01 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

The Earth...its size is perfect. The Earth's size and corresponding gravity holds a thin layer of mostly nitrogen and oxygen gases, only extending about 50 miles above the Earth's surface. If Earth were smaller, an atmosphere would be impossible, like the planet Mercury. If Earth were larger, its atmosphere would contain free hydrogen, like Jupiter.3 Earth is the only known planet equipped with an atmosphere of the right mixture of gases to sustain plant, animal and human life.

The Earth is located the right distance from the sun. Consider the temperature swings we encounter, roughly -30 degrees to +120 degrees. If the Earth were any further away from the sun, we would all freeze. Any closer and we would burn up. Even a fractional variance in the Earth's position to the sun would make life on Earth impossible. The Earth remains this perfect distance from the sun while it rotates around the sun at a speed of nearly 67,000 mph. It is also rotating on its axis, allowing the entire surface of the Earth to be properly warmed and cooled every day.

And our moon is the perfect size and distance from the Earth for its gravitational pull. The moon creates important ocean tides and movement so ocean waters do not stagnate, and yet our massive oceans are restrained from spilling over across the continents.

Yep, sounds like a big accident...

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #17 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary View Post
I am a geologist, a very educated on the history of the Earth Christian, i believe that evolution does occur, you really can not deny it IMO, but that does not mean that God did not create the first life that gave way to the start of it, IMO if EVERYTHING that exists as a living being all came from a single cell start, i think that is more miraculous than just snapping fingers and being done with it, and it would make since and align with the 7 days....the order anyway(not a believer in a true 7 day)
X2 here, good post

post #18 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04 View Post
The Earth...its size is perfect. The Earth's size and corresponding gravity holds a thin layer of mostly nitrogen and oxygen gases, only extending about 50 miles above the Earth's surface. If Earth were smaller, an atmosphere would be impossible, like the planet Mercury. If Earth were larger, its atmosphere would contain free hydrogen, like Jupiter.3 Earth is the only known planet equipped with an atmosphere of the right mixture of gases to sustain plant, animal and human life.

The Earth is located the right distance from the sun. Consider the temperature swings we encounter, roughly -30 degrees to +120 degrees. If the Earth were any further away from the sun, we would all freeze. Any closer and we would burn up. Even a fractional variance in the Earth's position to the sun would make life on Earth impossible. The Earth remains this perfect distance from the sun while it rotates around the sun at a speed of nearly 67,000 mph. It is also rotating on its axis, allowing the entire surface of the Earth to be properly warmed and cooled every day.

And our moon is the perfect size and distance from the Earth for its gravitational pull. The moon creates important ocean tides and movement so ocean waters do not stagnate, and yet our massive oceans are restrained from spilling over across the continents.

"The Goldilocks Orbit"

post #19 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Lifer

Quote:

G#d could have made the earth 10,000 years ago to appear to have been made 10 million years ago.

Maybe you should tell G#d it is wrong for him to trick us like that.
post #20 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Punk Ass Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk View Post
The measure of time, as we describe it, is a man-made concept. The whole of Creation, as well as the Creator, is certainly not in any way limited to concepts conceived by and accepted my man. Thus to say the earth is millions of years old does not conflict with the Bible, as the Truths revealed by the Bible in many cases occurred outside the norms of human understanding.
But how can you believe, trust and have faith in something that you do not understand?

91 Coupe, off road h, underdrive pulleys, short belt with a/c, electric fans and 3.73s. 3060lbs. Daily driven 20mpg average.

Quote:
post #21 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Lifer

It is just a sense that I get from reading the Bible that these are Truths that will last for eternity. Some, including me, would say that is God "speaking" to them through the words in the Bible. One thing I picked up on from the Old Testament is that God keeps his promises, or covenants, all of them. I am in no way discounting the great strides mankind had made in expanding his knowledge about himself and his environment, but the promise made by Jesus will transcend all that man can prove and imagine. I think man tries to understand all around him because, for one he is curious, but also to exert as much control over the forces and events around himself as possible. Sometimes that is a good thing, but sometimes it can also be our own worst enemy.
post #22 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Freethinker

Quote:
So you are a Christian that has decided what to believe and what not to believe out of the bible? Since you are a geologist, you have discovered certain parts of the bible you find not to be accurate. Am I reading this correctly?

Quote:

post #23 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Freethinker

Quote:
With that being said, that means that any of the concepts used to describe anything in the bible could be outside of our understanding? Not just time.

Quote:

post #24 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Freethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxBodyMike View Post
But how can you believe, trust and have faith in something that you do not understand?
Cause it makes him all tingly inside!

Quote:

post #25 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Lifer

Quote:
With that being said, that means that any of the concepts used to describe anything in the bible could be outside of our understanding? Not just time.
Not everything. The Mosaic Laws, for instance, were well within the understanding of the OT Jews.

Some things outside of our understanding might include the Exodus, the miracles performed by Jesus and His disciples, and of course the Resurrection itself. Just because they may be outside of our understanding by no means diminishes their impact on mankind.
post #26 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Cause it makes him all tingly inside!
No, rather it gives me supreme confidence and gratitude.
post #27 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Boost is Good

at some point everyone that made a post in this thread was created... I rest my case..

post #28 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Punk Ass Kid

Quote:
It is just a sense that I get from reading the Bible that these are Truths that will last for eternity. Some, including me, would say that is God "speaking" to them through the words in the Bible. One thing I picked up on from the Old Testament is that God keeps his promises, or covenants, all of them. I am in no way discounting the great strides mankind had made in expanding his knowledge about himself and his environment, but the promise made by Jesus will transcend all that man can prove and imagine. I think man tries to understand all around him because, for one he is curious, but also to exert as much control over the forces and events around himself as possible. Sometimes that is a good thing, but sometimes it can also be our own worst enemy.
whenever you are reading the bible and you feel as if god is talking to you through scriptures, does it make you feel like you have a purpose in life?, as in to serve god, and to spread his word? And do you use it as something for comfort, and something to fall back on when things get tough?

I not trying to sound like a smartass, im am just really curious.

Quote:
post #29 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Out

Quote:
whenever you are reading the bible and you feel as if god is talking to you through scriptures, does it make you feel like you have a purpose in life?, as in to serve god, and to spread his word? And do you use it as something for comfort, and something to fall back on when things get tough?

Honestly, yes to all for me. It also shows me just how far from His teachings I really am. More like a humbling experience. I know that since He has given me the Meassage, I am held to a higher level of accountability when I fail to meet His expectation, but I also know that I am forgiven and given chance after chance.

I don't think partaking in these threads really counts as spreading His Word since the OP is just out for an argument. All I want to do for a contribution is to refer you back to Daniel's post (flashstang04's post).

As far as evolution is concerned, I find that pretty hard to swallow (just my opinion). Although, slight changes in the form of adaptation are believable. God has even made slight chages in our relationship with Him over the course of history.

I am content, though, knowing that there are things that I don't know and am not meant to know. I am also content with knowing that some of His reasons cannot be understood or comprehended on me. I do wonder from time to time about things, but I don't dwell on them. Life on earth is too short for that.
post #30 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Freethinker

How can anyone actually say that evolution has not happen. My theory is that evolution takes place when animals are on the brink of extenction. Thats why it is so hard to find fossil records of those stages. Why do you think imbreading makes so many birth defects? Its because if your species is close to extenction, then drastic changes have to take place. Its those random defects that have eventually created every biological machine on this planet. The strong survive and reproduce, the weak die!

Quote:

post #31 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Freethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Punisher View Post
at some point everyone that made a post in this thread was created... I rest my case..
but wait, I am not done questioning my witness.
If your soul is eternal and god created the world in 7 days, when were you created?

Quote:

post #32 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 11:07 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #33 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Freethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04 View Post

And yet huge meteors hit the earth, moon and other planets on a pretty regular basis. The moon is steadily moving further and further from the earth every year. Earthquakes and volcanoes are constantly changing the shape of our earth.
Sounds like a perfect design to me. If your a sadistic megalomaniac.

Quote:

post #34 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:08 AM
Lifer

Quote:

All of the above are true, and the Bible is also a reminder when things are good that God has truly blessed and extended His grace into our lives.
post #35 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:12 AM
Lifer

Quote:
The strong survive and reproduce, the weak die!
Read Exodus some time, for the weak (as in the case of mankind) can prevail over the strong.
post #36 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Freethinker

Quote:
Read Exodus some time, for the weak (as in the case of mankind) can prevail over the strong.
If they beat the strong, guess what that makes them? Stronger
That would be kinda like saying, the losers beat the winners.
post #37 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Freethinker

Quote:
All of the above are true, and the Bible is also a reminder when things are good that God has truly blessed and extended His grace into our lives.
If you can blame god for everything that is good in your life, why cant you blame him for the shit? Is he not ultumately responsible? IS HE NOT OMNIPOTENT? Why does he allow terrible things to take place? Is he sadistic?
Your god has the ability to stop all the horrible things going on in this world, he knows they are wrong and yet allows it to happen. The reasons you give will make him sound like a deranged lunatic.
Maybe we should be giving him some kind of sacrifice. Like throwing a virgin into a valcano.
No I am just kidding, thats the old primative religion. The new christianity is the real religion.

Quote:

post #38 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Freethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5point0pony View Post

You do realize there are 1000s of gods to worship right? But now if you choose christianity and the bible, then no you can not believe in both. One totally contradicts the other.
So if you are talking about the holy spirit, please enlighten us as to how you can believe in both. If you are talking about the sun god, please just keep it to yourself.

Quote:

post #39 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 08:47 AM
Lifer

Quote:
You do realize there are 1000s of gods to worship right? But now if you choose christianity and the bible, then no you can not believe in both. One totally contradicts the other.
So if you are talking about the holy spirit, please enlighten us as to how you can believe in both. If you are talking about the sun god, please just keep it to yourself.
One doesn't contradict the other, God is in the science lab as much as he is in the church

post #40 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Lifer

Quote:
So if you are talking about the holy spirit, please enlighten us as to how you can believe in both.
I'm thinking, one doesn't believe in the "holy spirit". Once it has "descended" after baptism, you "know" it. This is different from believing.

There is no such thing as the material universe anyway. You see something, but there is no foundation.

How do you know G#d didn't create alternate universes, at the same time, that have completely different physical laws? And if he did, is there any significance to these different physical laws?

It would seem investigating the spiritual is far more substantial... if it has the biblical god or not.
post #41 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Boost is Good

Quote:
but wait, I am not done questioning my witness.
If your soul is eternal and god created the world in 7 days, when were you created?
Objection... The questions above have no relevance to as of how the earth was formed.
And the above questions are based upon your interpretation of Biblical scripture.

Therefore, what witness can you call to the stand that was here when the earth was formed? Case dismissed...

post #42 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 12:23 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
you know, when someone continually brings up a topic like this over and over, it's pretty obvious who is concerned about their beliefs.
post #43 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Punk Ass Kid

Quote:
Honestly, yes to all for me. It also shows me just how far from His teachings I really am. More like a humbling experience. I know that since He has given me the Meassage, I am held to a higher level of accountability when I fail to meet His expectation, but I also know that I am forgiven and given chance after chance.

I don't think partaking in these threads really counts as spreading His Word since the OP is just out for an argument. All I want to do for a contribution is to refer you back to Daniel's post (flashstang04's post).

As far as evolution is concerned, I find that pretty hard to swallow (just my opinion). Although, slight changes in the form of adaptation are believable. God has even made slight chages in our relationship with Him over the course of history.

I am content, though, knowing that there are things that I don't know and am not meant to know. I am also content with knowing that some of His reasons cannot be understood or comprehended on me. I do wonder from time to time about things, but I don't dwell on them. Life on earth is too short for that.
True that, I think life is to short to worry about religion.
i have came to the conclusion that god is probably not real, so i just moved on and went about living my life.

But for those who do believe, i understand why they believe, so therefore i do not judge them for their thoughts.

Quote:
post #44 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Punisher View Post

Therefore, what witness can you call to the stand that was here when the earth was formed? Case dismissed...
Any witness would alter the creation by the act of witnessing, over and over again.

The door out of here is not a physical door. Materiality is here to break your mode of concentration... to trap you. This case unfortunately has not been dismissed yet.
post #45 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
you know, when someone continually brings up a topic like this over and over, it's pretty obvious who is concerned about their beliefs.
One should respect someones continual questioning of a single topic. This should be a signal that something has been cloaked.
post #46 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 01:59 PM
He's no good to me dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSON View Post
I'm thinking, one doesn't believe in the "holy spirit". Once it has "descended" after baptism, you "know" it. This is different from believing.

There is no such thing as the material universe anyway. You see something, but there is no foundation.

How do you know G#d didn't create alternate universes, at the same time, that have completely different physical laws? And if he did, is there any significance to these different physical laws?

It would seem investigating the spiritual is far more substantial... if it has the biblical god or not.
FSON, I've come to the conclusion that after reading your posts the past year, that you are indeed a pot head. You go off on these wild tangents that have nothing to do with the topic at hand, and do nothing to answer any questions, nor offer much content to the tangents that you do pose. Every time I read posts like the one above, I imagine a middle aged man rolling a joint in front of his computer, and token away as he tries desperately to grasps at straws. As a matter of fact, you're probably giggling right now that someone figured it out. Just my .02

post #47 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 02:02 PM
He's no good to me dead.

Quote:
If you can blame god for everything that is good in your life, why cant you blame him for the shit? Is he not ultumately responsible? IS HE NOT OMNIPOTENT? Why does he allow terrible things to take place? Is he sadistic?
Your god has the ability to stop all the horrible things going on in this world, he knows they are wrong and yet allows it to happen. The reasons you give will make him sound like a deranged lunatic.
Maybe we should be giving him some kind of sacrifice. Like throwing a virgin into a valcano.
No I am just kidding, thats the old primative religion. The new christianity is the real religion.
John 10:10
"The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it overflows)."
post #48 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Lifer

Quote:
If they beat the strong, guess what that makes them? Stronger
That would be kinda like saying, the losers beat the winners.
Wrong, they were delivered from the strong.
post #49 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Freethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobba Fett View Post
John 10:10
"The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it overflows)."
I rest my case.

Quote:

post #50 of 770 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Mankind decided for himself what is good and what is evil, and now bears the consequences. LOSE THE CAPS, they make you sound like a deranged lunatic.

By what authority do you annoint the "new" Christianity the real religion. What exactly is "new" Christianity and what makes it "new"? Explain yourself. Also, why did you omit Judaism and Islam, or should I say the "new" Judaism and "new" Islam, LOL. Are they not real religions? Is it possible that you're showing bigotry and prejudice toward Jews and Muslims by not including their faiths as being real religions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement