post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Pilgrim

The Health Wealth and Prosperity Gospel

by John Piper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 07:36 AM
ebay pimp

Unfortuanetly, this attitude is prevalent in so many churches. I laugh a little when I see multimillion dollar churches with the parking lot filled with 2000 Escalades,BMW's & Hummers. All those people trying to buy a stairway to heaven.

I remember a church I went to a few years ago, they had a financial seminar. It started off with the pastor saying there was over 2000 refernces in the bible about money management. After about 30 minutes, it became apparent that the focus to live as cheaply as possible, so we could give more to the church.

The same pastor was giving a sermon once, and talked about how he always gave as much to the church as possible, 30-40% a year. One year he earned a lot of extra cash doing motivational speaking, and was able to exceed giving 50% of his income to the church. He spoke for 30 minutes about the heavens opened up and rained good fortune and blessings on him & his family when he gave more than 50%.

This church used all the money to open more churchs, they had a goal of building a church in every city with a population over 100,000 all over the world. Pure expansionism, withn little community service. They wanted to be the Starbuck's of churches

Last I heard that church had lost 2/3's of it's congregation and was considering being absorbed by a mainstream sect.

And the pastor? He was forced out of the church because his son got a girl pregnant, he became an insurance salesman....then very nearly died of Luekemia. Guess he didn't give 51% that year....

Last edited by White trash wagon; 02-16-2009 at 08:58 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 01:44 PM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by White trash wagon View Post

And the pastor? He was forced out of the church because his son got a girl pregnant, he became an insurance salesman....then very nearly died of Luekemia. Guess he didn't give 51% that year....
That's awesome - turn your back on a sinner. I can't imagine that's what Jesus would have done. Kind of a thorny issue when religion becomes a business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement