Pope reinstates a Bishop who denied Holocaust - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
ebay pimp

Pope reinstates a Bishop who denied Holocaust

BERLIN, Germany (CNN) -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel demanded Tuesday that Pope Benedict XVI firmly reject denial of the Holocaust, a week and a half after the Vatican rehabilitated a bishop who denied the Nazis had intentionally murdered 6 million Jews.

"The pope and the Vatican must make absolutely clear that there can be no denial of the Holocaust," Merkel said.

The pope in January lifted the excommunication of Bishop Richard Williamson and several other clergy members who had been expelled from the Catholic Church in 1988.

The pope's move came days after the broadcast of an interview in which Williamson -- a member of the Society of Saint Pius X -- denied the Nazis had used gas chambers.

"I believe that the historical evidence is strongly against -- is hugely against -- 6 million Jews having been deliberately gassed in gas chambers as a deliberate policy of Adolf Hitler," Williamson said in the interview with a Swedish television station, which also appeared on various Web sites after its broadcast. "I believe there were no gas chambers," he added.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...ref=newssearch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Lifer

How can you deny it?

Working on my project Stang
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I think Stephen Colbert had the perfect analysis for this....

Apparently he can believe that 2000 years ago a man rose from the dead but can't believe that 60 years ago the Nazis were pretty bad.

2007 Mustang GT/CS | Vista Blue | 5 Speed
GMS CAI |Bassani X-Pipe | Bassani Axle Backs

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Lifer

All the World War II holocaust photos where taken at the same Hollywood movie lot as those taken of the U.S. landing on the moon. Oh, and the same one as the JFK shooting.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Time Served

Vatican: Bishop's Holocaust statements 'strongly rejected' by pope

I know White Trash Wagon is a fair individual as was about to post this but
I beat him to it.

From Feb 4th, same day Williamson made his remarks:
http://www.catholicnews.com/data/sto...ns/0900527.htm

VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- The Vatican said a traditionalist bishop who has minimized the full extent of the Holocaust must disavow his positions before he will be accepted into full communion with the church.

A Vatican statement Feb. 4 said Pope Benedict XVI did not know about the controversial statements by British-born Bishop Richard Williamson when he lifted the excommunication of him and three other traditionalist bishops ordained illicitly in 1988.

"The positions of Bishop Williamson on the Holocaust are absolutely unacceptable and are strongly rejected by the Holy Father," the statement said.

In order to function as a bishop, Bishop Williamson must distance himself from his previous statements in "an absolutely unequivocal and public manner," the Vatican said.

In a statement meant to deflect the increasing public outcry over the papal decree lifting the excommunication, the Vatican said the decree did not change the juridical status of the traditionalist Society of St. Pius X, which still has no canonical recognition in the Catholic Church.

The Secretariat of State statement -- like a statement the previous day from the Vatican press spokesman, Jesuit Father Federico Lombardi -- reiterated the German-born pope's remarks at his Jan. 28 audience, in which he recalled the suffering of Jews during World War II and said the Holocaust should stand as a "warning to everyone against forgetting, denying or minimizing" evil.

Father Lombardi said the pope's words at the general audience were "unequivocal."

The spokesman said the pope had spoken about the horror of the Holocaust in his 2005 visit to a German synagogue and in his 2006 visit to the Nazi death camp at Auschwitz. He said the papal statement at the Jan. 28 audience "could not have been clearer, and from the context it is apparent that it referred to the positions of Bishop Williamson and to all similar positions."

"On the same occasion, the pope also clearly expressed the reason for removing the excommunication, which has nothing to do with legitimizing positions denying the Holocaust -- positions which were clearly condemned by the pope," the spokesman said.

Father Lombardi's statement was released by the Vatican press office late the same day that German Chancellor Angela Merkel said the pope and the Vatican needed to make clear there could be no denial of the Holocaust.

03 Mach1
[email protected] N/A
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Lifer

what a load of poo-poos.. (no cussing rule in here, right?)

NO NO NO, it should be DFWLS1's, CUMMINS, C6 VETTES.net
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 05:11 AM
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5point0pony View Post
How can you deny it?

LOL they can't, which is why they're required to denounce their previous stance on the matter before they will be fully reinstated.

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." ~ Frederick Douglass
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 06:20 AM
Time Served

Bishop Who Denied Holocaust Is Said to Lose Seminary Post

ROME — A rehabilitated bishop at the heart of a Vatican uproar for denying the Holocaust ever happened has been dismissed as the head of an Argentine seminary, Argentina newspapers reported in their Monday editions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/09/wo..._r=1&ref=world

Too bad College professors in America can't be removed this easily.

03 Mach1
[email protected] N/A
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 01:25 AM
Factory Issue

That society's website is fucking crazy.

Give me a dollar.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 04:03 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

"I believe that the historical evidence is strongly against -- is hugely against -- 6 million Jews having been deliberately gassed in gas chambers as a deliberate policy of Adolf Hitler," Williamson said

Since when do these people care about evidence? If they did they wouldn't be priests would they?

2007 Mustang GT/CS | Vista Blue | 5 Speed
GMS CAI |Bassani X-Pipe | Bassani Axle Backs

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
ebay pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbringer View Post
"I believe that the historical evidence is strongly against -- is hugely against -- 6 million Jews having been deliberately gassed in gas chambers as a deliberate policy of Adolf Hitler," Williamson said

Since when do these people care about evidence? If they did they wouldn't be priests would they?
That's great...LMAO
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbringer View Post
What do you mean?

03 Mach1
[email protected] N/A
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Lifer

The guy still doesn't get it
Quote:
“It is about historical evidence, not about emotions,” Williamson told the German magazine Der Spiegel, “And if I find this evidence, I will correct myself. But that will take time.”

Among the comments the Bishop refused to repudiate were his claims that only 200,000 – 300,000 Jews were killed during World War II, and that none of them had been gassed.

When pressed by the Spiegel writer to take it upon himself to visit Auschwitz, Williamson replied: “No, I will not travel to Auschwitz. I've ordered the book by Jean-Claude Pressac. It's called ‘Auschwitz: Technique and Operation of the Gas Chambers.’ A printout is now being sent to me, and I will read it and study it.”

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain_Mach1 View Post
What do you mean?
He means the Catholic church doesn't need evidence to believe in christianity, but the Bishop is looking for evidence against the Jews

Sponsored Links
Advertisement