post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Pilgrim

You Must Suffer - John Piper

One of my favorite preachers, John Piper on suffering

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Lifer

Suffering is an important part of life and can be a great teacher.
I think it is horribly wrong when someone else takes it upon himself to make someone else suffer because they think they know the person needs to suffer.
This is wrong and archaic and is still practiced today, unfortunately.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 05:43 AM
Canada is welcome here.

Well i think my sister needs to suffer. She is 18 and has a kid but still wants to go out and party and stay out till all ours of the night. Sometimes, the opportunity arises for me to make her suffer for her irresponsibility and i take it. I think that maybe it will help her learn that her kid should come first so i do it. And by suffer i just mean that i refuse to fund her little outings when she asks for money, and will not watch the kid when she wants to go party (or any other time cause she just lies in order to get to go party). I won't work on her car that she continually wrecks, so that she can go party. I mean i don't go out of my way or anything, but i do these things when the opportunity presents itself and yes, in hopes that she will learn. She still thinks it's still playtime when it's time to grow up. So i think that it is ok to make her suffer. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 07:21 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95 View Post
Well i think my sister needs to suffer. She is 18 and has a kid but still wants to go out and party and stay out till all ours of the night. Sometimes, the opportunity arises for me to make her suffer for her irresponsibility and i take it. I think that maybe it will help her learn that her kid should come first so i do it. And by suffer i just mean that i refuse to fund her little outings when she asks for money, and will not watch the kid when she wants to go party (or any other time cause she just lies in order to get to go party). I won't work on her car that she continually wrecks, so that she can go party. I mean i don't go out of my way or anything, but i do these things when the opportunity presents itself and yes, in hopes that she will learn. She still thinks it's still playtime when it's time to grow up. So i think that it is ok to make her suffer. LOL.
Sad. Sounds like the only one who will suffer is the kid.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 04:54 AM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Sad. Sounds like the only one who will suffer is the kid.
Yeah, but i was responding to FSON saying that it's wrong when people make each other suffer cause they think they need to. I was just saying that it's not always wrong. I would (should the opportunity present itself) make her suffer a lot more than just the stuff i listed off. Obviously not physical harm or anything like that but a hell of a lot worse than i currently do. Only reason i can't is cause my mother and grandmother feel sorry for the kid and do not want it to go with her to the places she goes. So they let her go do what she wants and they watch the kid. There must be some way to completely inhibit her...

Any ideas? It would just drive her nuts if she could not go do anything will her little ho-bag friends.

Quote:
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 05:13 AM
Out

Hmm... how old is the child?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Yeah, but i was responding to FSON saying that it's wrong when people make each other suffer cause they think they need to. I was just saying that it's not always wrong. I would (should the opportunity present itself) make her suffer a lot more than just the stuff i listed off. Obviously not physical harm or anything like that but a hell of a lot worse than i currently do. Only reason i can't is cause my mother and grandmother feel sorry for the kid and do not want it to go with her to the places she goes. So they let her go do what she wants and they watch the kid. There must be some way to completely inhibit her...

Any ideas? It would just drive her nuts if she could not go do anything will her little ho-bag friends.
OK, it may not be wrong, especially if one is responsible for another person.
I will say, the technique is definitely outmoded in my book.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:

The only way to completely inhibit her is to call CPS. That will get her priorities straight. Sounds like to me she is in the lifestyle to have another.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Canada is welcome here.

The kid is like a year and 6 months. Real sweet kid. But CPS would be little overboard in this case, she always does have someone to watch the kid. And she is in college and she does manage to pass. She just partys waaaay to much and it irritates me.

I am mechanically inclined... the car could magically stop running and then start again when she needs to go to school. Hmm... how could i make that happen? I would need some sort of remote that could be rigged up to somehow let the car start when i hit a button. She lives near my house so it would be no problem getting to know here schedule and getting in range with the remote. I could simply just disable the car after 5 o'clock pm with the remote! Then enable it in the morning so she could go to school. Or, this is just another one of my hair brained ideas. That could also be the case.

Quote:

Quote:
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 08:40 AM
Num say'n? (tm)

Quote:
I Don't think your intent is to make her suffer. Sounds like you just refuse to enable her irresponsible behavior.

DFWMustangs.net
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Pilgrim

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillystang View Post
I think they missed the point of suffering.....
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 04:59 AM
Canada is welcome here.

Well what kind of suffering are we talking about here? Like as in how a slave might suffer, or someone who is disease ridden?

Quote:

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement