"Sermon on the Mount" - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

"Sermon on the Mount"

Reading this book again and wanted to share some of its insights...this book really breaks through the poison of Theology and really tests a lot of which I have been taught or told-verdict still out and will share when grasped.

Concerning Sin...

"But he teaches that we are only punished for - and actually punished by - our own mistakes; and he teaches that every man or woman, no matter how steeped in evil and uncleanness, has always direct access to an all-loving, all-powerful Father-God, who will forgive him, and supply His own strength to him to enable him to find himself again; and unto seventy times seven, if need be"

Concerning the Church....

"...there is no warrant whatever in his teaching for the setting up of any form of Ecclesiasticism, or any hierarchy of officals or system or ritual. He did not authorize any such thing, and in fact, the whole tone of his mentality is defiantly antiecclesiatical. Alll through his public life he was at war with the ecclesiastics and other religious officials of his own country. They first hindered, and then persecuted him, with a perfectly sound instinct of self-preservation - they felt instinctivley that the Truth, as he taught it, was the beginning of the end for them - and they finally had him put to death. Their pretensions to authority as the representatives of God, he ignored completely and for their ritual and their ceremonies evinced only impatience and contempt."

ec·cle·si·as·ti·cism (-klz-st-szm)
n.
1. Ecclesiastical principles, practices, and activities.
2. Excessive adherence to ecclesiastical principles and forms.

Concerning miracles....

"Those who deny he possibility of miracles on the ground tha the universe is a perfect system of law and order, to the the operation of which there can be no exceptions, are perfectly right. But the explanation is that the world of which we are normally aware, and with those laws alone most people are acquainted, is only a fragment of the whole universe as it really is; and that there is such a thing as appealing from a lower to a higher law - from a lesser to a greater expression. Now the the appeal from the lower to the higher law is not really a breach of law, for the possibility of such an appeal is part of the major constitution of the universe, and therefore, in the sense of a real breach of law, miracles are impossible. Yet, in the sense that all the ordinary rules and limitations of the physical plane can be set aside of overridden by and understanding that has risen above them, miracles, in the colloquial sense of the word, can and do happen."

Last edited by SVT93Style; 09-02-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Lifer

I don't like your point of view. We need a hierarchy and rules and structure for us learned to guide the children out of the darkness that grips their souls. We are the leaders that will annoint the power to future leaders. We will not allow people like you to break our tradition of authority and power.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Lifer

Read the New Testament for yourself.....then you need not be taught or told what it says.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT93Style
Reading this book again and wanted to share some of its insights...this book really breaks through the poison of Theology and really tests a lot of which I have been taught or told-verdict still out and will share when grasped.

Concerning Sin...

"But he teaches that we are only punished for - and actually punished by - our own mistakes; and he teaches that every man or woman, no matter how steeped in evil and uncleanness, has always direct access to an all-loving, all-powerful Father-God, who will forgive him, and supply His own strength to him to enable him to find himself again; and unto seventy times seven, if need be"

Concerning the Church....

"...there is no warrant whatever in his teaching for the setting up of any form of Ecclesiasticism, or any hierarchy of officals or system or ritual. He did not authorize any such thing, and in fact, the whole tone of his mentality is defiantly antiecclesiatical. Alll through his public life he was at war with the ecclesiastics and other religious officials of his own country. They first hindered, and then persecuted him, with a perfectly sound instinct of self-preservation - they felt instinctivley that the Truth, as he taught it, was the beginning of the end for them - and they finally had him put to death. Their pretensions to authority as the representatives of God, he ignored completely and for their ritual and their ceremonies evinced only impatience and contempt."

ec·cle·si·as·ti·cism (-klz-st-szm)
n.
1. Ecclesiastical principles, practices, and activities.
2. Excessive adherence to ecclesiastical principles and forms.

Concerning miracles....

"Those who deny he possibility of miracles on the ground tha the universe is a perfect system of law and order, to the the operation of which there can be no exceptions, are perfectly right. But the explanation is that the world of which we are normally aware, and with those laws alone most people are acquainted, is only a fragment of the whole universe as it really is; and that there is such a thing as appealing from a lower to a higher law - from a lesser to a greater expression. Now the the appeal from the lower to the higher law is not really a breach of law, for the possibility of such an appeal is part of the major constitution of the universe, and therefore, in the sense of a real breach of law, miracles are impossible. Yet, in the sense that all the ordinary rules and limitations of the physical plane can be set aside of overridden by and understanding that has risen above them, miracles, in the colloquial sense of the word, can and do happen."

That is a huge misconception..that God punishes.. when He does no such thing. We punish ourselves by choosing sin. I am glad that you could find that in the writing.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Oh I have, when I mean taught I not only mean through my pastor but by the book itself. I think a good teacher is key though, especially one the can add insight into the culture of the time and the original language of the text.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04
That is a huge misconception..that God punishes.. when He does no such thing. We punish ourselves by choosing sin. I am glad that you could find that in the writing.
I hear you, I see this in my own life and the life of my family and friends...

I just wish it were as easy to see it in myself then in those around me, but thats what true friends are for and true fellowship.

If your interested in the book its by Emmet Fox first published in 1934 believe it or not.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk
Read the New Testament for yourself.....then you need not be taught or told what it says.
I will not allow you to interpret the Bible without my approved interpretation. You may not understand the proper meanings of the words and get the wrong ideas of what the real intention was from the original authors. I know what their original intantions where and the proper authoritative meanings. You need help to climb the spiritual ladder.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Lifer

^^^^^
babbling boy
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
How do you know? What if God DOES punish? Hell, what if God is an abusive child-molesting jerk? You can't say that God isn't. Because you don't know. You have faith that God isn't an abusive child molestor. Could be though.

That'd be f#cked up huh?
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2
How do you know? What if God DOES punish? Hell, what if God is an abusive child-molesting jerk? You can't say that God isn't. Because you don't know. You have faith that God isn't an abusive child molestor. Could be though.

That'd be f#cked up huh?
Sometimes, you really try hard to be funny... and you MIGHT be from time to time. Right now, you just look like a douchebag.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Sometimes, you really try hard to be funny... and you MIGHT be from time to time. Right now, you just look like a douchebag.
Well, you got one guy trying to tell another guy what God is and isn't when that guy is just as credible as the next. I just elaborated on that.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

I don't see anyone telling anyone anything, I merely posted some quotes up from a book from the direct preaching of Christ in the bible....
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Some people project from personal experience....soooo.....

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:

Have to say I agree, that was a bit much.

Poopnut I now your a regular here, and just refresh my memory b/c I have been gone are you the one that was a "Christian" before then got out of it, or I think you put it you were saved from the lie...is that you? Not being sarcastic here I just trying to remember.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 07:08 AM
Lifer

I think all you people don't understand each others meanings and intentions in your writings.
From now on, each word you write should be followed by it's definition in parenthesis and each word of the definition in parenthesis should be followed by it's own definition in parenthesis and each word of that definition in parenthesis should be followed by it's own definition in parenthesis...
Or you can ask me because I am an expert in these matters, I work for the Vati-Can... we are a non-profit porti-potty corporation.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSON
I think all you people don't understand each others meanings and intentions in your writings.
From now on, each word you write should be followed by it's definition in parenthesis and each word of the definition in parenthesis should be followed by it's own definition in parenthesis and each word of that definition in parenthesis should be followed by it's own definition in parenthesis...
Or you can ask me because I am an expert in these matters, I work for the Vati-Can... we are a non-profit porti-potty corporation.
I think you don't understand how to write correctly, made even more comical by your foolish recommendation for precise definitions in parentheses LOL.

it's (contraction) is used incorrectly in your post quoted above. Each instance is bolded for clarification.

its (possessive pronoun) would be the correct word to use in your post in place of the bolded blunders you made.

Class dismissed, bozo.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk
I think you don't understand how to write correctly, made even more comical by your foolish recommendation for precise definitions in parentheses LOL.

it's (contraction) is used incorrectly in your post quoted above. Each instance is bolded for clarification.

its (possessive pronoun) would be the correct word to use in your post in place of the bolded blunders you made.

Class dismissed, bozo.
Exactly
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Have to say I agree, that was a bit much.

Poopnut I now your a regular here, and just refresh my memory b/c I have been gone are you the one that was a "Christian" before then got out of it, or I think you put it you were saved from the lie...is that you? Not being sarcastic here I just trying to remember.
I don't think that I ever put it like I was "...saved from the lie." I grew up christian, going to a couple of different baptist churches. Even went to a pentecostal youth group for a while (that was crazy). I just got tired of lying to myself, trying to tell myself that I felt something that wasn't there.

flash04stang, you were the one who posted on what god is or isn't. You stated that god does not punish, when you don't know that.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
I don't think that I ever put it like I was "...saved from the lie." I grew up christian, going to a couple of different baptist churches. Even went to a pentecostal youth group for a while (that was crazy). I just got tired of lying to myself, trying to tell myself that I felt something that wasn't there.

flash04stang, you were the one who posted on what god is or isn't. You stated that god does not punish, when you don't know that.

Well, when I know what His word says I know that WE choose damnation or not..not Him. He cannot coexist with sin, if WE choose sin, then we have every right to not choose Him, but the alternative is torment. The bad part is that there are only 2 choices..

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well, when I know what His word says I know that WE choose damnation or not..not Him. He cannot coexist with sin, if WE choose sin, then we have every right to not choose Him, but the alternative is torment. The bad part is that there are only 2 choices..
Really? Didn't someone just relay his word to you? Or did God personally say "hey insert name here , this is my word."? You know what you're told to know and nothing more.
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Really? Didn't someone just relay his word to you? Or did God personally say "hey insert name here , this is my word."? You know what you're told to know and nothing more.
Not true, I don't know about you, but I don't take things at face value. That is where study comes into play. Learning language style an root meanings as well as the tradition involved with both. You must live in a very insecure world if you only believe what you are told instead of finding out for yourself the answers you seek. It is easy to understand though. It is easier to either reject or accept, rather than find the "why" and "how" of it all.

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not true, I don't know about you, but I don't take things at face value. That is where study comes into play. Learning language style an root meanings as well as the tradition involved with both. You must live in a very insecure world if you only believe what you are told instead of finding out for yourself the answers you seek. It is easy to understand though. It is easier to either reject or accept, rather than find the "why" and "how" of it all.
I agree. I think we just came to different conclusions. Cheers.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Hey

I just wanted to add to the thread that I think people approach the Bible all wrong, they try to tackle it intellectually and build in systems of theology when really they Bible is a handbook for the spirit....that is why so many people "try" Jesus but never succeed. Suppose this is human nature.
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
I just wanted to add to the thread that I think people approach the Bible all wrong, they try to tackle it intellectually and build in systems of theology when really they Bible is a handbook for the spirit....that is why so many people "try" Jesus but never succeed. Suppose this is human nature.
How else should you approach a writing with no concrete proof of claims that it makes? There is no "success" when it come to Jesus, because with the christian faith, Jesus is perfect and no man can equal him. So I just don't get what you're saying.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 01:32 AM
Out

Quote:
How else should you approach a writing with no concrete proof of claims that it makes? There is no "success" when it come to Jesus, because with the christian faith, Jesus is perfect and no man can equal him. So I just don't get what you're saying.
We're not? Since I've accepted Christ's sacrifice and my sins are forgiven, I AM perfect in God's eyes. He does something we can't even comprehend. He forgives AND forgets. You and I couldn't do that on our best day.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Hello

Quote:
So by intellectualizing will bring about concrete proof? All its done for you is drive you away and made you someone who floats around a Theology forum beating theology and religion to death....you can't loose what you never had.

Success...oh friend there is success in Jesus and the way that it plays out is when you accept him, follow his word, and find that your promise of life is not in the distant future in heaven, but here and now...when slowly all the things that pulled you down and kept you in a perpetual darkness begin to fade and you see life through new eyes. And for me an others like me this is all the concrete proof that we need...the personal experience....vital, not only the intellectualism...

"Until we face our spiritual inadequacy, we are shutting our eyes to reality, like dungeon dwellers recoiling from sunlight; like burns victims smashing mirrors. (John 3:19) Christians are very ordinary people who dared confront the spiritual need the rest of us fearfully suppress. Through Jesus they somehow found the courage to push against the torrent of popular opinion and say good-bye to their favorite sins and the stranglehold of almost life-long habits. They put their life on the line and to their surprise found the warm presence of God."

Last edited by SVT93Style; 09-06-2008 at 08:58 AM.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
"Until we face our spiritual inadequacy, we are shutting our eyes to reality, like dungeon dwellers recoiling from sunlight; like burns victims smashing mirrors. (John 3:19) Christians are very ordinary people who dared confront the spiritual need the rest of us fearfully suppress. Through Jesus they somehow found the courage to push against the torrent of popular opinion and say good-bye to their favorite sins and the stranglehold of almost life-long habits. They put their life on the line and to their surprise found the warm presence of God."
While I can respect that. I see life the exact opposite. I see spirituality as a crutch when it comes to dealing with reality and the possibility that when we die, we just die and that's that. It's pessimistic in a way, but that's what I believe.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 03:53 AM
Out

Quote:
While I can respect that. I see life the exact opposite. I see spirituality as a crutch when it comes to dealing with reality and the possibility that when we die, we just die and that's that. It's pessimistic in a way, but that's what I believe.
So then what is the point of living for you?
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Maybe poopnut2's spiritual path is to live without spirit, ask his spirit or whatever it might be called.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Disagree, its not a crutch but rather a gurney...praise the Lord.
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
To live. Just because we're alive, it doesn't mean that there has to be some resolution. I wasn't asked to live, and I won't be asked to die.
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 04:56 AM
Lifer

Quote:
To live. Just because we're alive, it doesn't mean that there has to be some resolution. I wasn't asked to live, and I won't be asked to die.
And I thought politics was the only thing you are wrong about...

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
And I thought politics was the only thing you are wrong about...
Politics and religion are pretty similar. Nobody can prove the other right or wrong, and in the end, we're all fucked.
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
I wasn't asked to live, and I won't be asked to die.
Oh come on, you know this board better than that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement