So I was listening to some satellite radio... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned

So I was listening to some satellite radio...

...and there was a pastor on some christian station, not sure why it was on that station to begin with but he was saying "give sparingly and you will reap sparingly, give generously and you will reap generously". Then of course directly told his church that he was talking about tithing. I just thought I'd share that. Church is awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Painting Your House

He speaks the truth. His motivation might be corrupt, but then again maybe not.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 04:58 PM
v2004 rebooted.

So the more money you give, the more you can be saved? Wow.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman
So the more money you give, the more you can be saved? Wow.
No. No one said that. I give money to my small church, and we know where it goes, and the good it does. TV/radio preachers get nothing from me. It helps support my church. I give because I want to. It doesn't make me a better person.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 05:09 PM
v2004 rebooted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2
"give sparingly and you will reap sparingly, give generously and you will reap generously".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
No. No one said that.

Looks like this guy wants us all to shoot for a Penthouse in heaven to me.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 05:10 PM
Lifer

Tithing isn't limited to giving to a church, but I can see how some in this thread might be ignorant of that fact given their vast knowledge LOL on the subject.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Painting Your House

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman
Looks like this guy wants us all to shoot for a Penthouse in heaven to me.
Oh jeeze! If you plant one apple seed, will the tree from it only produce one apple?

And besides, the paster wasnt speaking of rewards in heaven, but of earth.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Lifer

It's difficult to explain "giving" to people that don't believe in it. Folks spend money on baubles for their cars, strippers, etc., but boy, don't use my money for anything worthwhile...

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 07:54 PM
v2004 rebooted.

Yeah, I've never donated anything worthwhile in my life at all. Donating is for people who aren't hardcore on the interwebz.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Painting Your House

II Corinthians 9:6- 8 But this [I say], He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, [so let him give]; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. And God [is] able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all [things], may abound to every good work:
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Time Served

i agree with giving, but you are suppose to give without expecting to recieve anything in return. quite the opposite of the (radio/tv) message he is talking about.

i think Christ said something of the sort "for they have already recieved their reward"
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 11:25 PM
Out

The verse isn't talking about some monetary contribution, at least not totally. It's talking about your work, devotion, support (financial could fall there), and other aspects one can contribute to aid in spreading the Word of God. By doing so, you'll be pleasing God. His rewards are more than just a monetary reward. It could be anything, but there's nothing set in stone what rewards you get for the time/work/money you devote. It should all be done for the sole purpose of pleasing Him and obeying His command, not getting anything in return. He'll provide what He feels necessary.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 12:13 AM
Pilgrim

Quote:
...and there was a pastor on some christian station, not sure why it was on that station to begin with but he was saying "give sparingly and you will reap sparingly, give generously and you will reap generously". Then of course directly told his church that he was talking about tithing. I just thought I'd share that. Church is awesome.
Congrats, you've just committed the fallacy of hasty generalization.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillystang
Congrats, you've just committed the fallacy of hasty generalization.
How? Considering the guy specifically said, if you give us more money, you will receive more from god. Not too long ago, a pastor brought his car in where I work, and put it under his churches name...which will remain anonymous. What kind of car was it? 2008 Lincoln Navigator. It seems the more generously you spare, the more he reaped.

...and the Lord sayeth unto me, "you shall drive a Navigator! No option shall be spared. No gas guzzler tax shall be ignored!" Hallelujah brother!
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Painting Your House

Quote:
How? Considering the guy specifically said, if you give us more money, you will receive more from god. Not too long ago, a pastor brought his car in where I work, and put it under his churches name...which will remain anonymous. What kind of car was it? 2008 Lincoln Navigator. It seems the more generously you spare, the more he reaped.

...and the Lord sayeth unto me, "you shall drive a Navigator! No option shall be spared. No gas guzzler tax shall be ignored!" Hallelujah brother!
Did you ever think that just maybe this paster gave abundantly?
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Pilgrim

Quote:

Was it or was it not your motive in starting this thread to imply something to the effect that "All pastors are charlatans"?

In other words, I can't run into a democrat forum and call them all adulterers just because Clinton cheated on his wife.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Canada is welcome here.

I agree with giving... when it goes where it is needed. I must admit that i often feel that the bums we see everywhere (actual bums of the streets) dont deserve anything but to starve until they decide to work. I mean come on. How can a person not have some way to do something? Maybe im just ignorant (and i probly am) but it seems like anyone who really wanted to better themselves from that position could do so. Most churches will feed them and let them stay somewhere and give them work. Or at least help them out a lot till they can get on their feet. I know this is true i have seen my old church do it a hundred times. So when i see people saying "get a job" to bums i have to agree with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 08:38 PM
Painting Your House

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95
I agree with giving... when it goes where it is needed.
But wouldn't you agree that when you give to God, It goes to the right place? Think about it...You give to the needy and lets say some preacher pinches off the top. Do you think that God says "oh well" to the needy? At the same time, do you not think that God allowed the preacher to steal in order to help him learn a valuable lesson? I like to think that when I give my money to God, He is sure to invest it where its needed.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

The truth beind tithing is really a principle and a law more than anything else. (principle first)It is an axiamatic principle, meaning the principle of sowing and reaping, was not to get something from God as it is preached in so many Christian circles but comes from the Old Testiment...Gen 8:22 as Noah built an alter and sacrificed unto God, God said that He would never again curse the ground for mankind's sake...and "while the earth remained these four things shall never pass away...sead time and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, and day and night. Seed time and harvest is an axiamatic principle that opperates according to one thing...sowing seed. If you sow seed you WILL reap a harvest. it is a law...just like day and night and summer and winter

People question God's will constantly. "is it his will for me to go here, go there, do this or that? Is it his will for me to walk in blessings or struggle? The truth is God gave us some laws to help us with this. The law of seed time and harvest. Not one time in my life have I ever set my alarm clock for 5:00 a.m. so I could run outside and make sure the sun is going to come up. Not one time have I questioned God concerning the sun coming up or not. WHY? the law in Gen 8:22. While the earth remains the sun will come up. while the earth remains I (we) have a promise from God that if we sow a seed we will reap a harvest.

That is why preaching tithes and offerings the way Paul did to the Corinthians in the manner of sowing sparingly and reaping sparingly should be preached today.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillystang
Was it or was it not your motive in starting this thread to imply something to the effect that "All pastors are charlatans"?

In other words, I can't run into a democrat forum and call them all adulterers just because Clinton cheated on his wife.
Not all. I just like how this one was on a nationally broadcast radio show.

Cheer up pussycat!
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSnake1996
Did you ever think that just maybe this paster gave abundantly?
I'm sure that's exactly what it is. Maybe the white collar exec in the lambo gives abundantly as well.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
I'm sure that's exactly what it is. Maybe the white collar exec in the lambo gives abundantly as well.
Or maybe his harvest has yet to be reaped?

It makes for a good story that reinforces the mental concept of balance as applied to good and evil forces. Like karma.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Painting Your House

Quote:
Maybe.

What they have or don't have is really none of my concern. Let God do his work in them, and we need to concentrate on our on relationship. Listen man, God is just, fair. Its all good bro. If he is doing wrong, God will deal with him better than a great Daddy to his son.

Last edited by BlackSnake1996; 07-03-2008 at 08:36 PM.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Eh, I don't know. I don't necessarily have anything against religion, it's just not for me. My whole family is devout church-going baptists. I jus think that this man is a piss-poor representative of a supposed selfless community.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Out

Quote:
Eh, I don't know. I don't necessarily have anything against religion, it's just not for me. My whole family is devout church-going baptists. I jus think that this man is a piss-poor representative of a supposed selfless community.
I'm really not a big fan of religion, but rather a personal relationship with God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement