Non bible-thumpin church goers - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Pilgrim

Non bible-thumpin church goers

Just curious from the other threads floating around here, I am assuming you mean "believes the bible to be true" by the term "bible-thumpin". If I got this wrong, feel free to correct me.

Anyways, if you are turned off from "bible-thumpin" churches, why would you want to be part of anything under the banner of Christianity or a church in the first place? Why do you go? Why not just join a social activist club or community support group?

What do you think of Jesus? Nice moral character? Good teacher? Crazy man? Son of God? Do you realize that Jesus said this,

"Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it."

Why do you want to toy around in a faith that you don't even believe to be true?
Repent and believe the gospel, a quasi-mixed religion version of Christianity will do you no good.

Food for thought-
The word translated "church" in the English Bible is ekklesia. This word is the Greek words kaleo (to call), with the prefix ek (out). Thus, the word means "the called out ones."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 07:36 PM
lol, this place sucks now

Thumbs up

awesome!

DFW Mustangs dot net
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 07:48 PM
v2004 rebooted.

Phillystang is calling out all the fake ass christians!!1

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Lifer

I think that "Bible-thumpin" might turn off some individuals who like to believe they're Christian and as such are a "good person". Absolutely nothing wrong with being a good person, but to be a true Christian you must follow the Bible, and if that is considered Bible-thumpin' to some, so be it. It isn't always going to be easy, but God has equipped each of us who truly desire to be Christians with the ultimate foundation and road map to do so through the Bible. Understandably, there are those whose enthusiasm wanes when the Bible reveals that being a true Christian requires substantial changes on their part, and choose instead to discount as Bible-thumpin' those points on which they don't or won't agree.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk
God has equipped each of us who truly desire to be Christians with the ultimate foundation and road map to do so through the Bible.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Time Served

Bible-Thumpin' to me goes further than simply believing the Bible to be true. It is almost like a gung-ho Marine type of attitude toward the literal teachings of the Bible. Further, Bible-Thumpers carry this attitude throughout all aspects of their lives.

I don't consider myself as being a Bible-Thumper. I certainly believe the Bible to be divinely influenced, but do not think of it as a literal blueprint. For example, I interpret the verse you reference two ways:

1. It is a common-sense approach to clean and/or successful living. If you take shortcuts in your everyday life you end up paying for it one way or another.

2. It is a hard road to be a Christian. The rules are impossible not to break and the people around you constantly question your faith and work on you to fall away from your beliefs. That isn't supposed to mean you get to throw a pity party because of that, but it is just the way it is. Just imagine how much easier it would be to simply give in. In this day and age it is fairly uncommon thing to be a practicing Christian...this helps explain the part about "there are few who find it".

Religion should never be something you "toy around with". I agree with all of the descriptions you gave about Jesus - except the "crazy man" part.

2003 Torch Red Mach 1 (Almost moddin' time!)
1970 Fastback (Ready for paint!)
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman
Phillystang is calling out all the fake ass christians!!1
LOL! The fake-ass christian meme! It has risen again!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Out

Every single word in the Bible is truth. If that makes me a Thumper, then so be it.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Every single word in the Bible is truth. If that makes me a Thumper, then so be it.
x2

and the last couple of days i heard something on the radio/television that 68% of those who attend church believed that there are different pathways to Heaven.

honestly, its not the bible thumpin churches that get to me, its the ones who dont preach/live the gospel that do.

and the ones that capatilze on "Jesus talked more about money than anyother subject matter, now send me your money" ... yes, because he spoke in parables and preached to the poor.... greedy goobers.

i dont attend church.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 09:19 PM
IA2

I think that on this board "bible thumper" essentially means a hypocritical "holier than thou" person. I would also stay away from such an individual. You can be well grounded in the scriptures and close to the Lord without being obnoxious about it to the point of running people away from JC.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

A "Bible thumper" is someone who pushes their unsolicited christian beliefs on others.

Simply believing in the Bible doesn't make you a "Bible thumper".

Chuck
2001 Black Bullitt (For Sale)
2009 Black JK Unlimited X, M6, 35's
www.imboc.com
Rob (Tweakd) Memorial 3/13/05
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 02:17 PM
v2004 rebooted.

Quote:

Even the most extensively researched history books have errors. That is one ridiculous statement Dennis.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Lifer

History books are penned by man and tell the story of man's exploits, and are thus imperfect. The Bible is the inspired Word of God on the other hand, and is thus 100% truth. Denny is indeed correct, talisfuck fails
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 05:43 PM
v2004 rebooted.

The bible wasn't written by man? God came down to earth, fired up his Mac and just typed it out, eh? Brilliant!
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk
The Bible is the inspired Word of God on the other hand, and is thus 100% truth.

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Out

Quote:
Even the most extensively researched history books have errors. That is one ridiculous statement Dennis.
Because the author of this one is different. You can beat that "written by man" shit to death. The information is from God, Himself.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:10 AM
lol, this place sucks now

Quote:
Because the author of this one is different. You can beat that "written by man" shit to death. The information is from God, Himself.
So, which part of the bible was written by god? Did he write all the different versions?
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4
So, which part of the bible was written by god? Did he write all the different versions?
I know you understand what is meant by this. It is the Word of God, just written down by man. You can put quotations around the whole thing, followed by "verbatim" for all I care.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Lifer

Much of the Old Testament is recorded from oral history handed down through the generations. To anyone who knows anything about Jewish culture, they are/were very meticulous about correctly recording their history, both the good and the bad.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 02:04 PM
v2004 rebooted.

Quote:
I know you understand what is meant by this. It is the Word of God, just written down by man. You can put quotations around the whole thing, followed by "verbatim" for all I care.

So god is a revisionist?
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Great Topic

The scripture ref given out of Matthew 7 concering the words of Jesus can be mis-understood. We are not saved because we do what is right and not wrong. We are saved because of what we choose to believe....Jesus died, He was buried, and God brought Him back to life thereby defeating death forever....and the only way to eternal life for us is to Believe those three things...(Romans 10:9-10). Good conduct does not earn us a spot in Heaven. When Jesus said "Narrow is the way" He was saying that there is only "One Way" to the Father....through Him. That one way is to believe in Him...the rest of that junk is "Man-made doctrine"...
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 11:46 PM
Out

Quote:
So god is a revisionist?
Absolutely! Look at the Covenant He struck with Adam, then with Noah, then with Moses, and then again through His Son.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 07:50 AM
Lifer

Quote:
So god is a revisionist?
LOL....

Excuse my ignorance, so what man or men wrote the bible. Who are these lucky individuals that copied word for word that came out of gods mouth?

"His tricked out trans am guzzles every dime he brings home"

2004 RC SWB F150 5.4 - Saleen S/C'd 5.4 3V
1979 Pace Car - Not the usual mods
1984 Gt-350 - Trickflow'd 302
1992 Coupe - Vortech'd 393
1997 Viper GTS - H/C and Giggles

Buy my F-150 Vortech Setup! - Link
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
LOL....

Excuse my ignorance, so what man or men wrote the bible. Who are these lucky individuals that copied word for word that came out of gods mouth?
40 writers, 66 books, one Source.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Lifer

Quote:
40 writers, 66 books, one Source.
Yep just not seeing it....

Have 40 people that all hear/see the exact same thing, there will be 40 different storys.

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Yep just not seeing it....

Have 40 people that all hear/see the exact same thing, there will be 40 different storys.

I you knew how painstaking it was was to copy writings then you would understand a little better. Entire copies were trashed if just one error was made. It is all the same story, so really, your previous statement leads credibility to the bible.

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 08:40 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04
I you knew how painstaking it was was to copy writings then you would understand a little better. Entire copies were trashed if just one error was made. It is all the same story, so really, your previous statement leads credibility to the bible.
LOL... Biblical FAIL!
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
LOL... Biblical FAIL!

Just sayin'

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Lifer

so you are saying that they wrote down one mistake, they would just chunk it away and say, "god could you please start over from page 1."

What about the J E P D versions? Aren't they all different?

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
so you are saying that they wrote down one mistake, they would just chunk it away and say, "god could you please start over from page 1."

What about the J E P D versions? Aren't they all different?

No, you are trying to make it overly simple. The fact that is DOES have so many writers IS its credibility. The original writings were written by different people yes, at different times, however, when you study the book in it's entirety you see that the whole thing ...says the same thing. Even from the first chapter we see man's beginning need for a redeemer. Then we see God move through the years to move to that being a reality. Finally we see the plan in motion and come to pass, and the following result of what happens with Him, or without Him. Watch the news, this world is basically acting out revelations like a one act play. I personally feel the curtain is about to close.

post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 07:17 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04
It didn't have any ill effect on Euclid's works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement