Shopping for a church - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
ebay pimp

Shopping for a church

I know this will shock some of you, but I'm shopping for a church.

I've always believed in a higher power, just not in the dogmatic way many of you view the world.

I'm looking for a non denominational church, either non christian, or with a very broad and enterpretive view of the bible. As many of you know, since the bible was written by men, I view it as document of viewpoint, not THE FINAL TRUTH.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:54 PM
mannish boy

I have very similar belief's Scott... I'll be interested to hear what you find and how you like it
post #3 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
ebay pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
I have very similar belief's Scott... I'll be interested to hear what you find and how you like it
I'll keep you posted Forrest.

post #4 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
ebay pimp

A little background. I've just gone throught the worst experience of my life, I'm vaguely surprised I was able to remain standing. I've learned that I picked my friends well, they have all stood by me, helped me....kept me alive.

I also learned when I was at a breaking point....I could ask God for help.....and it came....not exactly what I wanted, but usually what I needed.

I've also seen supernatural things in the past, not of this earth. Who was it?

I've also learned I need to reach out more, help others more, and help my community. I spent the weekend helping paint a Methodist church, the church itself was not for me, but I enjoyed helping them.

Scott
post #5 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:05 PM
v2004 rebooted.

Hope everything is alright with you man.
post #6 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:17 PM
PAN

No doubt. I've been there, and it's true that tomorrow brings a new day, often times with a new outlook...
post #7 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by White trash wagon

I've always believed in a higher power, just not in the dogmatic way many of you view the world.

I'm looking for a non denominational church, either non christian, or with a very broad and enterpretive view of the bible. As many of you know, since the bible was written by men, I view it as document of viewpoint, not THE FINAL TRUTH.

Scott
Let's think logically in regards to your post. Whichever church you find, Bible believing or not, they will still (according to your presuppositions) teach and practice man made beliefs. If you can outright reject the Bible as nothing more than man made and your choice in church is effected by that rejection, then why is a man made non-Bible believing church any different than a church that believes the Bible to be true? Either way you would still be a part of something that is man-made according to your presuppositions who hold to their own ideas of truth, whether it comes from the Bible or from their own imaginations.

With that said, I'll leave with you what the Apostle Paul preached to the Epicurean and Stoic philosophers in Athens from Acts Ch 17.

22Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: "Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you.

24"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. 25And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. 26From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. 27God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. 28'For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.'

29"Therefore since we are God's offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by man's design and skill. 30In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. 31For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising him from the dead."

32When they heard about the resurrection of the dead, some of them sneered, but others said, "We want to hear you again on this subject." 33At that, Paul left the Council. 34A few men became followers of Paul and believed. Among them was Dionysius, a member of the Areopagus, also a woman named Damaris, and a number of others.
post #8 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
ebay pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman
Hope everything is alright with you man.
I'm getting stronger, but it's a LONG road.

Scott
post #9 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
ebay pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillystang
Let's think logically in regards to your post. Whichever church you find, Bible believing or not, they will still (according to your presuppositions) teach and practice man made beliefs. If you can outright reject the Bible as nothing more than man made and your choice in church is effected by that rejection, then why is a man made non-Bible believing church any different than a church that believes the Bible to be true? Either way you would still be a part of something that is man-made according to your presuppositions who hold to their own ideas of truth, whether it comes from the Bible or from their own imaginations.
There other faiths besides Christianity..........
post #10 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 09:25 PM
mannish boy

also, there's nothing wrong with man made beliefs if you truly believe in your HEART (not your brainwashed mind) that they are the best beliefs that benefit you AND the rest of mankind...

and there's nothing wrong with getting together with like-minded people who share those beliefs in order to better yourself and the rest of mankind.

no, I don't subscribe to a dogma... no I have never been to church...

but I can totally dig where Scott's coming from!
post #11 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 09:46 PM
IA2

Quote:

With that said, I'll leave with you what the Apostle Paul preached to the Epicurean and Stoic philosophers in Athens from Acts Ch 17.

22Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: "Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you.

24"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. 25And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. 26From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. 27God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. 28'For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.'

29"Therefore since we are God's offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by man's design and skill. 30In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. 31For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising him from the dead."

32When they heard about the resurrection of the dead, some of them sneered, but others said, "We want to hear you again on this subject." 33At that, Paul left the Council. 34A few men became followers of Paul and believed. Among them was Dionysius, a member of the Areopagus, also a woman named Damaris, and a number of others.
The man is looking for a church to attend.

With all due respect, you spent a lot of time "correcting" him and then tacked on a sermon at the end. Not encouraging in the least, especially to someone that is trying to find their way.

To the OP, i'd suggest looking for a church with the words "bible fellowship" in the name. These tend to be non-denominational, and may be what you are looking for.
post #12 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 09:49 PM
BANNED

i go to bent tree bible fellowship in carrollton, and i like it alot. youre more than welcome to roll with me if you dont wanna go solo.

post #13 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Lifer

Quote:

Scott
From your description, the first place that came to mind is:
http://www.unitydallas.org/
post #14 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:39 AM
I love Meat.

Quote:

Scott
Not sure where exactly you are looking for a church at, but we started going to a non-denominational church in Greenville. I LOVE IT. It isn't the bible thumpin hypocritical pricks that I am used to, just really down to earth and the first church "sermons" I wasn't continuously checking my cell phone to see how much longer til it was over.

Part of my family is church of christ..and I am so anti-church of christ and probably will be for the rest of my life. I am banned from their "church" and I am automatically going to hell..oh I could go on for days, but anyway- my other side is bible thumpin baptist which i just find ignorant- so I am hoping this church works out

2004 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
This is exactly why if I ever have a daughter, I'm going to teach her to swallow early on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Undietaker is my hero.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
post #15 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Lifer

Why don't you go here and take this quiz. It will tell you what religion is best suited for your beliefs:

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html
post #16 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSON
From your description, the first place that came to mind is:
http://www.unitydallas.org/
I was going to say Universalist/Unitarian sounds like what he wants for now.
post #17 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 06:07 PM
African Booty Scratcher

http://www.horizonuu.org/horizon/

right here in carrollton off hebron. good luck with your search.

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
post #18 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
ebay pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVIS
http://www.horizonuu.org/horizon/

right here in carrollton off hebron. good luck with your search.

god bless.
I checked out thie site, they really are a universal religion! They accept Jews, Christians, Muslims, Budhists, etc.
post #19 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
Not sure where exactly you are looking for a church at, but we started going to a non-denominational church in Greenville. I LOVE IT. It isn't the bible thumpin hypocritical pricks that I am used to, just really down to earth and the first church "sermons" I wasn't continuously checking my cell phone to see how much longer til it was over.

Part of my family is church of christ..and I am so anti-church of christ and probably will be for the rest of my life. I am banned from their "church" and I am automatically going to hell..oh I could go on for days, but anyway- my other side is bible thumpin baptist which i just find ignorant- so I am hoping this church works out

Is this church not Bible based at all???
post #20 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Painting Your House

Why not go to the Methodist church that you have already invested time into helping?
post #21 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
ebay pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSnake1996
Why not go to the Methodist church that you have already invested time into helping?
Too stiff, and the Sunday service is just a display of "see how rich I am". On the plus side, lots of pretty women there.

Scott
post #22 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 06:44 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb

With all due respect, you spent a lot of time "correcting" him and then tacked on a sermon at the end. Not encouraging in the least, especially to someone that is trying to find their way.

To the OP, i'd suggest looking for a church with the words "bible fellowship" in the name. These tend to be non-denominational, and may be what you are looking for.
Exactly. He's reaching out for help, and doesn't need a healthy dose of "fire and brimstone". This is what can run some people off. I have a buddy who is a Latter Day Saint. You know why? Becasue they accepted him AS HE WAS, when he felt like no other denomination would. He has become a great asset for that church, because of the way they treated him.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #23 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 07:23 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Too stiff, and the Sunday service is just a display of "see how rich I am". On the plus side, lots of pretty women there.

Scott
You can come to our church in cargo shorts and flip flops.

<--Sheila
post #24 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Painting Your House

Quote:

Scott
Thats unfortunate. I get about the same response around these parts.

Its a bit of a drive for ya, but Cross Timbers in Argyle is a really cool church. Can even wear shorts.
post #25 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Out

I was exited to see we have an active Post Chapel here. Then, no so exited to see the options of services. Gospel, Pentacostal and Catholic services. I can either give a WAAAAAAIL, speak in tongues or pray to Mary.
post #26 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Painting Your House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
I was exited to see we have an active Post Chapel here. Then, no so exited to see the options of services. Gospel, Pentacostal and Catholic services. I can either give a WAAAAAAIL, speak in tongues or pray to Mary.
I agree that it a very wide range of worships, but to just get involved and see for yourself is a great 1st step. I personally am Independent Baptist. No tongues here or any crazy flopping on floors. Just lookin forward to seeing my Father some day.

Sounds to me that the Lord is moving on him, so I cant see him making a bad move at this point. Spiritually lead my friend.

Last edited by BlackSnake1996; 06-27-2008 at 10:43 AM.
post #27 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk
It can be, but they do not dictate a canon. They assume certain universal truths to be evident in all religion, and those truths to be the most important aspect of any religion.
post #28 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 11:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoBro
You can come to our church in cargo shorts and flip flops.

<--Sheila
+1

post #29 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 11:56 AM
African Booty Scratcher

more than welcome to come to fellowship with us on sunday. after we usually go to hooters and have a few beers.

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
post #30 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 12:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVIS
more than welcome to come to fellowship with us on sunday. after we usually go to hooters and have a few beers.

god bless.
sign me up for hooters nigga!!!

post #31 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
Exactly. He's reaching out for help, and doesn't need a healthy dose of "fire and brimstone". This is what can run some people off. I have a buddy who is a Latter Day Saint. You know why? Becasue they accepted him AS HE WAS, when he felt like no other denomination would. He has become a great asset for that church, because of the way they treated him.
I'm not sure where the fire or brimstone is? I listed the sermon that the Apostle Paul preached to the gentiles in Athens. If you disagree with Paul's message or style (author of 2/3 of the New Testament books), then I am not sure what basis you stand on in regards to what is appropriate if the Apostle Paul himself is not appropriate enough according to you.
post #32 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Out

Quote:
I'm not sure where the fire or brimstone is? I listed the sermon that the Apostle Paul preached to the gentiles in Athens. If you disagree with Paul's message or style (author of 2/3 of the New Testament books), then I am not sure what basis you stand on in regards to what is appropriate if the Apostle Paul himself is not appropriate enough according to you.
It wasn't the Scripture reading, rather your posture. We want everyone to climb the stairway, but they gotta hit the first step first, not the top.
post #33 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 11:38 PM
Pilgrim

Quote:

How do you encourage someone that disregards the foundations of what you hold as true? That is, the Bible being God-breathed. You make it sound as though it doesn't matter to you where he attends, as long as it has something to do with spiritual things.

I was merely trying to reason with him that it wouldn't logically matter if the Church believed the Bible or not based on his presupposition that it is merely a product of human creation, either way he chose it would still be a human made teaching.

Do you think that my "tacking on a sermon" (biblical passage of Paul preaching to the gentiles in Athens) will scare him off? Many "churches" have the same mentality and refuse to use much of the bible because if they get to any uncomfortable portions they may loose some of the congregation.

Quote:
Most all "bible-fellowship" churches, although non-denominational, hold the Bible as the inerrant Word of God, something that doesn't fit the criteria he stated.
post #34 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 01:45 AM
Out

Quote:
How do you encourage someone that disregards the foundations of what you hold as true? That is, the Bible being God-breathed. You make it sound as though it doesn't matter to you where he attends, as long as it has something to do with spiritual things.

I was merely trying to reason with him that it wouldn't logically matter if the Church believed the Bible or not based on his presupposition that it is merely a product of human creation, either way he chose it would still be a human made teaching.

Do you think that my "tacking on a sermon" (biblical passage of Paul preaching to the gentiles in Athens) will scare him off? Many "churches" have the same mentality and refuse to use much of the bible because if they get to any uncomfortable portions they may loose some of the congregation.

Most all "bible-fellowship" churches, although non-denominational, hold the Bible as the inerrant Word of God, something that doesn't fit the criteria he stated.
Because getting him comfortable enough to start attending church MIGHT open his eyes enough for him to find the truth. Everyone has to start somewhere. Looking at it from the outside, it looks like you're saying, "This isn't what you're looking for... move along."
post #35 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 05:40 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I could have phrased it better, but my point is to a "non-church-goer", quoting bible verses, is a little much at times. It's like signing up for a French class, and all the lady will speak is French. 20 years ago, when someone showed up at my door, spewing versus out of the bible, I wasn't particularly polite to them. If you don't/can't see that, I'm sorry.

post #36 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 06:16 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Scott...

When /if you have time, listen to these in the order I post them.

Starting a dialogue about matters of faith.

Are all religions the same?

Unearthing moral relativism.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #37 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Every day is.............

Quote:

Scott
Best wishes to you bro. I don't know what you've [recently] been through, but it sounds as though you are on the right path.

Here's a thought for you -
I go to Chuch not seeking answers, but forgiveness. Everything else seems to fall into place.

David
post #38 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
ebay pimp

Quote:
Your predisposed stance that unless you are a bible reading Christian, you aren't religious is a huge turnoff to outsiders. By thinking Christianity is the ONLY true religion you dismiss 2/3's of humanity. That's the type of thinking that Muslims seem to have....your one of us, or your the opposition.

I don't necassarily want to find a Christian church, althought the suggested Unitarian church seems interesting.

Scott
post #39 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Your predisposed stance that unless you are a bible reading Christian, you aren't religious is a huge turnoff to outsiders. By thinking Christianity is the ONLY true religion you dismiss 2/3's of humanity. That's the type of thinking that Muslims seem to have....your one of us, or your the opposition.

I don't necassarily want to find a Christian church, althought the suggested Unitarian church seems interesting.

Scott
I don't see his stance like that at all. Rather I see his stance as being one that unless a person who professes to be a Christian does not base their religion on the Bible, then they are not a true Christian.
post #40 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Painting Your House

Quote:
I don't see his stance like that at all. Rather I see his stance as being one that unless a person who professes to be a Christian does not base their religion on the Bible, then they are not a true Christian.
True Christian? Define that.
post #41 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
ebay pimp

Quote:
I would agree with that.....but I never said I was.....or wanted to be a Christian. But I do want a closer relationship with God. There are many paths to God, not just one.

Scott
post #42 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Painting Your House

Quote:
I would agree with that.....but I never said I was.....or wanted to be a Christian. But I do want a closer relationship with God. There are many paths to God, not just one.

Scott
I dont mean to pick on you here, but thats kind of like saying that you want to be closer to your dad, but you dont want to be his son.
post #43 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
ebay pimp

Quote:
I dont mean to pick on you here, but thats kind of like saying that you want to be closer to your dad, but you dont want to be his son.
So you obviously think Christianity is the ONLY real religion? I guess you think all the Jews, Muslims, Budhists, etc. are full of crap?
post #44 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Lifer

Quote:
True Christian? Define that.
One who believes in and accepts Jesus Christ as their Saviour.
post #45 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Lifer

Quote:

Scott
The only way to the Father is through His Son Jesus Christ.
post #46 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Lifer

Quote:
The only way to the Father is through His Son Jesus Christ.
That, my man, is "Christianity"...

post #47 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 02:27 PM
v2004 rebooted.

I wish I could count how many "True Christians" I've know that have lied and cheated and yadda yadda yadda, but I've only got ten fingers and my shoes are on. What a full of shit label. Ironiclly, often the only True Christians you run into are the ones that claim they are True Christians. It's just jaw droppingly incredible how that works, isn't it?
post #48 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 03:12 PM
I love Meat.

Quote:
Which one the one we started going to? If so yes...

or are you talking about the Church of Christ my family attends?

2004 Cobra
Quote:
This is exactly why if I ever have a daughter, I'm going to teach her to swallow early on.

Quote:
Undietaker is my hero.
post #49 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 03:24 PM
I love Meat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman
I wish I could count how many "True Christians" I've know that have lied and cheated and yadda yadda yadda, but I've only got ten fingers and my shoes are on. What a full of shit label. Ironiclly, often the only True Christians you run into are the ones that claim they are True Christians. It's just jaw droppingly incredible how that works, isn't it?
You just made me think of this :There used to be a Baptist preacher that came into the funeral home, did a BUNCH of our funerals and always came by my office to say "Hello Sister, Brittany. God is working wonderfully today and blah blah".... Preacher at one of the biggest churches here in town- he was having "spiritual meetings" with a woman going thru divorce and if he went out of town she just sooo happened to be there- turns out that joker had been screwing her the whole time, even at the church and taking her out while on these trips on the CHURCHES DOLLAR, got busted, admitted to his wife and church congregation that he had sinned and was resigning, please forgive him. Then the next day went to the bank him and his wife shared an acct at, cleaned it out, left her with NOT A DOLLAR, did leave her with two kids though, moved to who knows where and married that chick. Needless to say, I was shocked because he put on one hell of a show, thats for sure.

2004 Cobra
Quote:

Quote:
Undietaker is my hero.
post #50 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
ebay pimp

I must have been nuts to think I could find a church where you simple worship God. But no, in the same BS that turns me away crops up even in this thread!!

The judmental attitiudes, the elitism (ours is the ONLY way), the seperation and strife that has caused eternal suffering for thousands of years just won't go away.

Just look at Christianity alone....split into thousands of different sects and subsects....all saying "we're the only TRUE Christians".

I'll guess just continue my own private relationship with God.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement