Ur - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Out

Ur

For those of you who care...

I don't know how many of you know this, but Abraham (Abram at the time), lived in a city called Ur. This was his place of origin. Anyway, God commanded him and his wife, Sara, to leave so that they would have many children and be given the Promised Land.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham

I'm out here in the southern region of Iraq. My base not only performs its routine Coalition Forces responsibilities, but it also secures some ancient ruins that is claimed to be the house that Abraham lived in and a place called the Great Ziggurat. Here's the run-down on the Ziggurat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Ziggurat_of_Ur

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ur

I'm still a little shocked that these are here. This was a place that was excavated on the early 20's and later Saddam had it restricted to just personally invited people for tours. I'll have pictures within the next few days. Until recently, not very many Westerners have been able to experience these ruins in person.

Here's a major who made a little portfolio of the area. He did a pretty good job. With all the vandalism and taking of artifacts, as of late, it is heavily restricted to esential personnel (like me ).

http://www.gottschfamily.net/Iraq/Ur.html

Last edited by Denny; 06-03-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Lifer

That's awesome! I would love to visit Ur. Historical sites, especially Christian related, really interests me.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Out

It also has great Muslim, Persian, Sumarian, and Pagan influence. I predict this to be one of the most visited site in years to come. Saddam had a small family as care-takers of the site for many years. They've been involved with it's upkeep since it was discovered. They still have that role and are taken care of by the base's resources.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

That is awesome Denny, can't wait to check out some pics.

Be careful over there!

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 07:53 AM
Painting Your House

That is really cool.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Out

As promised...

The House of Abraham

The Ziggurat

Enjoy
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Good times

That's really cool, thanks for the pics.

n/a
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:33 PM
PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
As promised...

The House of Abraham

The Ziggurat

Enjoy
I'm betting that you came close to having to change your undies after that expedition Denny...
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466
I'm betting that you came close to having to change your undies after that expedition Denny...
I think I left them there
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:09 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Awesome!

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Lifer

WOW!

I'll bet some of those Ivy League Archeology and Architecture History departments would want those photos.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSON
WOW!

I'll bet some of those Ivy League Archeology and Architecture History departments would want those photos.
They're welcome to them. The pics need to be shared, not bottled up, like this place has been for too long. I can see Archeologists coming out here in the very near future, though.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Quote:
As promised...

The House of Abraham

The Ziggurat

Enjoy
Dangit man, I want to see them and Photobucket is on the fritz!

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 07:40 AM
Every day is.............

Thumbs up

Wow!

I'm not sure how I would feel if I had the chance to walk, touch, and experience those things. Just seeing them in photos sends an eerie feeling through my body.

You are truly blessed Denny, to have that opportunity.
Thanks for sharing the photos!

David
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Musician for the deaf

The ziggurat was three levels, and the facing walls are each "painted". The lower level is charcoal black. The next level is reddish orange. The upper level is blue and white. The facing stones themselves are smooth and even, well maintained. The levels are cornered, so that instead of a pyramid-like structure, it was more like a terraced hill, with stairs.

Besides the symbolic significance of the colors, think about this; if you light tallow fires along the second level (one level up), you have room to tend them in trenches. If you are standing on the top level, the whitewashed blue sides reflect the short wavelength light far out. The reddish second level reflects longer wavelengths back, creating an interference pattern in the atmosphere kind of like a modern lens coating in a scope. The flat black lower level reflects nothing back and kills any nearby glare. You can't see the flames if you are on the very top.

Now look at the pictures and notice the horizon. Just think how far such a device could allow a defense force to see at night. And be seen by travellers.

And in the daytime the sun would glare bright from the top, fading to nothing below, making it stand out for miles. And no glare from below, although you have the mirage effect still, but it wasn't desert then, but swamplands and grassy plains.

Some people like to imagine that great works of ancient cultures must have had some kind of alien technology or some kind of supernatural help to succeed; not at all, they were pretty damn good with just plain old rocks. Which is kind of a metaphor for the story of the tower; mankind did it, with no help at all from God. Didn't need it. Said so too. Hehe.

Last edited by Casper; 06-30-2008 at 08:34 AM.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
The ziggurat was three levels, and the facing walls are each "painted". The lower level is charcoal black. The next level is reddish orange. The upper level is blue and white. The facing stones themselves are smooth and even, well maintained. The levels are cornered, so that instead of a pyramid-like structure, it was more like a terraced hill, with stairs.

Besides the symbolic significance of the colors, think about this; if you light tallow fires along the second level (one level up), you have room to tend them in trenches. If you are standing on the top level, the whitewashed blue sides reflect the short wavelength light far out. The reddish second level reflects longer wavelengths back, creating an interference pattern in the atmosphere kind of like a modern lens coating in a scope. The flat black lower level reflects nothing back and kills any nearby glare. You can't see the flames if you are on the very top.

Now look at the pictures and notice the horizon. Just think how far such a device could allow a defense force to see at night. And be seen by travellers.

And in the daytime the sun would glare bright from the top, fading to nothing below, making it stand out for miles. And no glare from below, although you have the mirage effect still, but it wasn't desert then, but swamplands and grassy plains.

Some people like to imagine that great works of ancient cultures must have had some kind of alien technology or some kind of supernatural help to succeed; not at all, they were pretty damn good with just plain old rocks. Which is kind of a metaphor for the story of the tower; mankind did it, with no help at all from God. Didn't need it. Said so too. Hehe.
Remember the last time mankind started advancing in their knowledge/technology (Tower of Babel)?
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 09:58 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:

Especially when your factor in that the "Men of renown" were still around. I am sure that lifting and moving the stones were no huge feat.

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Remember the last time mankind started advancing in their knowledge/technology (Tower of Babel)?
Yeah, that was the joke at the end I was shooting for
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04
Especially when your factor in that the "Men of renown" were still around. I am sure that lifting and moving the stones were no huge feat.
Impressive for sure, but definitely possible. We have the evidence in Denny's pics.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Especially when your factor in that the "Men of renown" were still around. I am sure that lifting and moving the stones were no huge feet.
*edited for factual content*

Agreed. Aliens have small feet!

Yes, this is a joke!

David
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Impressive for sure, but definitely possible. We have the evidence in Denny's pics.

I would say in some areas of geometry, and astronomy, ....somehow, they were beyond our knowledge. Many of the forgotten pyramids in Mexico are still modern marvels.

And I agree with Denny, looming at our technology nowadays, it is almost time to scramble some languages around.

Last edited by flashstang04; 06-30-2008 at 10:19 AM.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Out

Quote:
I would say in some areas of geometry, and astronomy, ....somehow, they were beyond our knowledge. Many of the forgotten pyramids in Mexico are still modern marvels.

And I agree with Denny, looming at our technology nowadays, it is almose time to scramble some languages around.
Read the Book of Daniel. He talks about man's knowledge advancing again (like now) before the Last Days.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Read the Book of Daniel. He talks about man's knowledge advancing again (like now) before the Last Days.

That is why I said it...also travel..

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Out

Quote:
That is why I said it...also travel..
Up to a few decades ago, no one really understood "events happenning with the whole world witnessing" until satelitte hook-ups.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Up to a few decades ago, no one really understood "events happenning with the whole world witnessing" until satelitte hook-ups.

Kind of ridiculous that we can be riding in a Hummer thousands of miles away in (respective) real time while they are in a combat zone. We are on information overload.

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Large Member

Cool pics, my son's name is Abram btw.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Out

Well, I went back out there December 15th. This time with a group of people on base in an organized tour. We had a member of the family that takes care of the area. It's the same family that has been custodian for years. I spent a little more time out there, screwing off. I actually got to go down into some of the excavated tombs!!! I found out that less than half of the area has been excavated.

http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/l...%20DEC%202008/
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Well, I went back out there December 15th. This time with a group of people on base in an organized tour. We had a member of the family that takes care of the area. It's the same family that has been custodian for years. I spent a little more time out there, screwing off. I actually got to go down into some of the excavated tombs!!! I found out that less than half of the area has been excavated.

<---- at a loss for words!

How incredibly fortunate you are Denny, to experience that - in the manner that you did.

Thanks for sharing the pix man!

BTW - bring me back a chunk `o that wall.

David
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajet69 View Post
<---- at a loss for words!

How incredibly fortunate you are Denny, to experience that - in the manner that you did.

Thanks for sharing the pix man!

BTW - bring me back a chunk `o that wall.

David
What makes you think I got any?
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
What makes you think I got any?

lol

David
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Lifer

Quote:

Wow, they let a woman down there? I'm surprised.

Cool pic dude!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement