Rob Bell - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
I'm on a boat.

Rob Bell

I've recently discovered this guy and watched some of his videos. He has an interesting point of view on some of the oldest issues. I've seen some backlash about his comments over the virgin birth, but still some say he's the next Billy Graham. The Mars Hill Bible Church he founded supposedly runs about 11,000 per week in attendance.

Just wondering what others think of him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 06:24 PM
not exclude

Is being the next Billy Graham a good thing?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
I'm on a boat.

I don't know... I'm just wondering if anyone else knows anything about this guy.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Pilgrim

I would stay away from Rob Bell and his teachings. He is part of the Emergent church movement which tends to tone down doctrine, especially tough doctrines like hell, sin, and judgment. If they have to speak on such things they usually redefine the words to mean something other than they have meant for the past 2K yrs. They usually stress humanitarian deeds and social issues over having right beliefs and right theology, as they tend to question any certainty and they avoid taking any doctrinal stands. Many of the leaders are borderline universalists, though their language is almost never straight forward and often difficult to understand.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 07:16 AM
Lifer

I always pick the church I attend by how strict and adherent they are with the oldest of church doctrines. Rules are important and must be followed or else one must pay a heavy price for noncompliance.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 08:23 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSON
I always pick the church I attend by how strict and adherent they are with the oldest of church doctrines. Rules are important and must be followed or else one must pay a heavy price for noncompliance.
There is a Coptic church a block from me.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
I'm on a boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillystang
I would stay away from Rob Bell and his teachings. He is part of the Emergent church movement which tends to tone down doctrine, especially tough doctrines like hell, sin, and judgment. If they have to speak on such things they usually redefine the words to mean something other than they have meant for the past 2K yrs.
Yeah, I see where some are getting on him about that. I'm not saying throw out doctorine or anything, but sometime it's nice to see a guy who seemingly speaks to people as they are, and where they are. I don't know for sure that Rob Bell is that person. I don't know enough about him to say. There's plenty of Christians with less notoriety that already do this though.

It makes me think of when the bible talks about how all the Jewish did was follow the law, and the law wouldn't save them. Well it's similar today. All the doctorine (though it has it's place) won't save anyone either.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillystang
...their language is almost never straight forward and often difficult to understand.
Is any "language" straight forward with original intention cast in concrete meaning?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B
Yeah, I see where some are getting on him about that. I'm not saying throw out doctorine or anything, but sometime it's nice to see a guy who seemingly speaks to people as they are, and where they are. I don't know for sure that Rob Bell is that person. I don't know enough about him to say. There's plenty of Christians with less notoriety that already do this though.
It makes me think of when the bible talks about how all the Jewish did was follow the law, and the law wouldn't save them. Well it's similar today. All the doctorine (though it has it's place) won't save anyone either.
Rob Bell is reacting against cold, dead, ritualistic Christianity (which so am I), but I think his approach is not biblical. The pendulum has swung from a burdensome legalism to the other extreme of post-modern relativism and cultural sensitivity. In an effort to appeal to the world, the church adapts its methods to market itself effectively to the world, bypassing hard teachings and doctrines that are offensive and that don't "sell". They seek to please man rather than God.

Of course only God's grace saves a person, but I don't think a regenerated believer will stay long in a church where the truth's of God's word are toned down,redefined, or eliminated in order to be appealing to the culture.

We have clear warnings about such things:

2 Timothy 4:3
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

Last edited by Phillystang; 03-25-2008 at 01:30 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSON
Is any "language" straight forward with original intention cast in concrete meaning?
If the author intends to be understood it should be.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
I'm on a boat.

Jesus redefined what the people of that day knew to be the truth. I see your point though of messing with things such as the virgin birth and others that Bell may have touched on. I think he and others like Ed Young are simply trying to do away with the old ideas of what a church and it's members have to look and act like.

Of course I'm not defending this guy. I was just looking or opinions on him and I see your point.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B
Jesus redefined what the people of that day knew to be the truth. I see your point though of messing with things such as the virgin birth and others that Bell may have touched on. I think he and others like Ed Young are simply trying to do away with the old ideas of what a church and it's members have to look and act like.

Of course I'm not defending this guy. I was just looking or opinions on him and I see your point.
Good deal,

Have you ever listened to Alistair Begg, James McDonald, or Mike Fabarez?
These guys all have radio ministries that are doctrinally sound, yet easy to listen to in our modern day.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
I'm on a boat.

I believe I've heard Alistair Begg. I'll check them all out. Thanks! You have any opinons on Ed Young, since I brought him up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement