Those who were not brought up in church - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Those who were not brought up in church

Do you think that your life now could possibly be better had you been brought up attending church regularly? Ive asked myself this question a few times and looking at the big picture there is no doubt in my mind that my entire family could have benefited from it. I guess its never too late to start

98 Brokra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylw 98~~SNAKE~~
Do you think that your life now could possibly be better had you been brought up attending church regularly? Ive asked myself this question a few times and looking at the big picture there is no doubt in my mind that my entire family could have benefited from it. I guess its never too late to start
You are right that it is never too late. I didn't grow up in church. I didn't become a Christian until I was 18 actually. On one hand, I think it is good that I didn't because I have a perspective of someone who didn't so I can relate to people on that level. On the other, I think that many things would have been easier for me to deal with had I been in church at an early age. Then there is always the factor of what church it is. Some people can be really hurt by going to a church that puts religion and tradition above Christ and people. Then you end up with burnt out, frustrated people that consider all "religion" to be a controlling organization that is overbearing and judgmental.

I guess you didn't ask for all that other stuff hehe. Just MHO.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 12:08 PM
The token Asian guy

I don't see how a church could make my life any different.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellerhead
I don't see how a church could make my life any different.
I think that having certain values having faith being one has an affect on how you look at life and also has an affect on the decisions we make. It may not be the church itself that changes your life but maybe the people that attend it. You are the company you keep and although some people may not believe that there is a good and a bad side I think i have seen the bad. As close minded as i am i think i am ready to maybe start to believe that there is some good in this world. Maybe finding god will help me see it! I guess we will see

98 Brokra
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Pilgrim

Quote:
I think that having certain values having faith being one has an affect on how you look at life and also has an affect on the decisions we make. It may not be the church itself that changes your life but maybe the people that attend it. You are the company you keep and although some people may not believe that there is a good and a bad side I think i have seen the bad. As close minded as i am i think i am ready to maybe start to believe that there is some good in this world. Maybe finding god will help me see it! I guess we will see
I am glad to see your interest in God and church, but it is more than just values and doing the right things to feel good. It is about coming to terms with our sinfulness, seeing that we are utterly helpless on our own before the wrath of a holy and just God, and seeing that while we were yet sinners deserving punishment, Christ the sinless one took our sins upon himself and died for us in our place, while placing his righteousness on our account. When you really start to get a hold of that when God opens your eyes, everything changes.

I would invite you to check out Alistair Begg, he is a Scottish pastor who has a radio ministry at truthforlife.org . You can stream his sermons live online. I hope you will be as blessed by his teaching as I have been.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 11:59 PM
Musician for the deaf

On the other hand, as one who did, I can say I am proud not to force the nonsense and hypocracy I encountered on my own children. They can attend church if they want, and relatives (the ones I still acknowledge) are free to take them to church.

Their experiences with church and with religious people in general have driven them away far more than anything I can say or do. In fact I try and be neutral so as not to force their hand. If you have kids you'll know what I mean by that statement.

What do you think was missing and why do you think only a church can fulfill those needs?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 09:02 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
On the other hand, as one who did, I can say I am proud not to force the nonsense and hypocracy I encountered on my own children. They can attend church if they want, and relatives (the ones I still acknowledge) are free to take them to church.

Their experiences with church and with religious people in general have driven them away far more than anything I can say or do. In fact I try and be neutral so as not to force their hand. If you have kids you'll know what I mean by that statement.

What do you think was missing and why do you think only a church can fulfill those needs?

That is sad to hear. It is a real shame that your view was so colored by man's screw up up religious interpretation and doctrine. I have been there. It wasn't until I realized that religion/church does NOT equal God did I start to learn about Him more.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04
That is sad to hear. It is a real shame that your view was so colored by man's screw up up religious interpretation and doctrine. I have been there. It wasn't until I realized that religion/church does NOT equal God did I start to learn about Him more.
That's all I want to avoid.

Although my oldest son is already learning the game. He wears a cross necklace now. It keeps him from being considered an outcast. That is his demon, the demon of ego.

maybe I should have BrianC counsel him on that? LOL!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
That's all I want to avoid.

Although my oldest son is already learning the game. He wears a cross necklace now. It keeps him from being considered an outcast. That is his demon, the demon of ego.

maybe I should have BrianC counsel him on that? LOL!

I think that you will find that more and more the people that ARE wearing the cross necklaces are the outcasts of society. Soon, that is how it will be all over the world ( I believe anyway).

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04
I think that you will find that more and more the people that ARE wearing the cross necklaces are the outcasts of society. Soon, that is how it will be all over the world ( I believe anyway).
Displaying an icon revered by half the world population?

I think you are seeing massive persecution where it doesn't exist.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Displaying an icon revered by half the world population?

I think you are seeing massive persecution where it doesn't exist.
Maybe I mis-spoke... the icon itself...no , it wouldn't be persecuted near as much as the real belief behind it would. That day I believe is coming soon.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Musician for the deaf

I don't see it. Although there has always been persecution within the greater whole.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
I think the presence of faith or belief in God is beneficial to having a positive life. My Grandmother was a holy roller so i guess maybe we saw her as awkward but now that i am older and seen alot more things happen i am now starting to believe that the presence of god isnt a bad thing. Notice i didnt say the presence of church but god. I dont believe you have to spend everyday in church to be a believer but when i go i do tend to see a better class of folks who do attend. Sure there are bad apples and noone there is perfect.

98 Brokra
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Time Served

i dont think it would have mattered in my life, my mom and dad didn't push me to go, but i would go with some friends sometimes. my mom always told me that you can pray at home anytime, and that you didnt have to go to a chruch for him to see that.

but after my parents death 2 1/2 yrs ago i dont have that much faith. i question why he lets certain things happen.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 10:48 PM
lol, this place sucks now

I went to Sunday School every week for a long time, I never believed any of it. I always wondered why I was taken to the particular church I was, when we passed 3 or 4 others on the way. What did those churches have to say to their students? What was different?

I try to guide my daughter to make the right decisions and to know right from wrong, that's it. I do not allow either my parents, nor my wifes parents to take her to their respective churches.

*flame suit on (and not to protect myself from the flames of hell)
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 11:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4
I went to Sunday School every week for a long time, I never believed any of it. I always wondered why I was taken to the particular church I was, when we passed 3 or 4 others on the way. What did those churches have to say to their students? What was different?

I try to guide my daughter to make the right decisions and to know right from wrong, that's it. I do not allow either my parents, nor my wifes parents to take her to their respective churches.

*flame suit on (and not to protect myself from the flames of hell)
when she is old enough to make that kind of decision will you still prevent her from going? not trying to start shit, just asking...you know where i live and i dont want any damn heathens breaking in at night to beat my ass

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 11:04 PM
Musician for the deaf

The recurring theme seems to be attempting to avoid the things that we feel were wrong in hindsight.

Maybe our parents were attempting to do the same thing?
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 12:07 AM
lol, this place sucks now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro88LX
when she is old enough to make that kind of decision will you still prevent her from going? not trying to start shit, just asking...you know where i live and i dont want any damn heathens breaking in at night to beat my ass

Of course not. Once she is old enough to make that decision she is free to attend if she pleases. We'll love her the same, whether she's christian, wiccan, baptist, or even gay.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 12:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4
Of course not. Once she is old enough to make that decision she is free to attend if she pleases. We'll love her the same, whether she's christian, wiccan, baptist, or even gay.
thats good to hear.

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 01:19 AM
Young Mustang Owner

Quote:
nah, after my dad died we havnt been back to church and we were a christian family, and nothin really changed after that so it doesnt really matter in my opinion

2011 Ford Mustang V6 *DD* ([email protected])
1992 Ford Mustang Gt *Project* ([email protected])
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2847379

DO WHAT YOU LOVE, BUT LOVE WHAT YOU DO
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldecharmoy
nah, after my dad died we havnt been back to church and we were a christian family, and nothin really changed after that so it doesnt really matter in my opinion
well i havent been since my bro went to jail for 15 yrs. Not that i expected god to change anything whats done is done. I talk a good game but i still didnt go this weekend and its easter. Guess you just have to realize that he cant prevent everything and you cant say a prayer and expect it to be answered just like that.

98 Brokra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement