More pieces of the evolution puzzle are falling into place... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

More pieces of the evolution puzzle are falling into place...

http://arstechnica.com/articles/cult...-evolution.ars

Too many pages to repost, but it's a good read. Wish I could get the audio of the actual presentation, but don't really want to spend $30 for it, and don't have 3 hours to kick back to the relaxing sounds of science

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Musician for the deaf

Awesome article.

I didn't realize the word "guts" was a scientific term

It rightly points out, without really stating it, that humans are a part of nature, and any attempt at separating the two is arbitrary and anthrocentric. The idea that because a protien is synthesized at the molecular level in a labrotary invalidates that synthesis from happening outside the laboratory is one big wall that needs to fall from people's minds.

And I guess I never thought about the contribution that recent advances in geology and cosmology play in paleantology; continental drift for example, tying together environmental oportunity theories. Methane outgassing too.

I really like what was said about space aliens. It irks me when people attribute stonehenge to extraterrestrials, as if early humans didn't even have the capacity to determine which direction North was.

Evolution is real. Attempting to compartmentalize it into humanistic paradigms is the only way to dispute it, and those paradigms are old and worn, down to the roots.
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffrazr
I found the most inner peace within myself when I realized I am merely another type of animal on this Earth. I am here to live however I see fit. I see fit to adhere to a basic moral code for my own standards, but anything outside of that are purely my own decisions.
That is the only way.

I once read a post from some unwashed hippy bitch on how bad it is to drink milk. The whole crux of her argument was that humans are the only animals who drink milk beyond infancy and the only ones who drink milk from other animals. That somehow made it bad.

I had to chime in that humans were the only animals who baked bread and smoked pot. The carnage ate her ass from then on.

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I found the most inner peace within myself when I realized I am merely another type of animal on this Earth. I am here to live however I see fit. I see fit to adhere to a basic moral code for my own standards, but anything outside of that are purely my own decisions.
From whence cometh thy "basic moral code", and how do you reconcile it with the "kill or be killed" tenet of evolution using strictly scientific reasoning, and proof of course?
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 08:48 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk
From whence cometh thy "basic moral code", and how do you reconcile it with the "kill or be killed" tenet of evolution using strictly scientific reasoning, and proof of course?
The basic moral code is very easily described by its naturally selected perks. Human culture comes from fairly close nit communities (i.e. smaller gene pools). The passing on of genetic information is the primary purpose of life, and the determinate of fitness. So, if these communities were small, they would share a decent amount of genetic information. Therefore, not fucking your fellow man over would benefit your reproductive success in the large scale of things. Thus traits/habits that developed and were "moral" would be beneficial and more likely to be reserved. Especially, if your reproduction was not very competitive for resources.
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Time Served

Quote:
because all animals have morals , don't you know anything?

its still "we the people"right?

"So this is how democracy dies, with thunderous applause"

"a lesson lived is a lesson learned, everyday is a lesson."

obama is a man made disaster
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
The basic moral code is very easily described by its naturally selected perks. Human culture comes from fairly close nit communities (i.e. smaller gene pools). The passing on of genetic information is the primary purpose of life, and the determinate of fitness. So, if these communities were small, they would share a decent amount of genetic information. Therefore, not fucking your fellow man over would benefit your reproductive success in the large scale of things. Thus traits/habits that developed and were "moral" would be beneficial and more likely to be reserved. Especially, if your reproduction was not very competitive for resources.
That's nice, now prove it
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Yes, you're still blocked. That only blocks your posts directly, not what others quote.

Society determines the "basic moral code." Morality, and self preservation fall in line with natural selection in the same way that survival of the fittest does.

We don't randomly kill each other, not because some hippy came down from a mountain with scribbling on a stone tablet, but because doing so threatens our survival as a species. We know this instinctively.

It's the same instinct that drives the animal kingdom all over the world. Animals do not randomly go around killing each other for the fun of it. And neither do we.

Are there fringe cases? Of course. But they're called fringe cases, because they're not a wide-spread epidemic. Despite what news media outlets would have you believe. They're driven by ratings. They'd sensationalize video of grass growing if they thought it'd bring in more ratings.

DarkWolf
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 05:55 AM
Lifer

Nice theories, now prove them. While doing so, since you have attributed the "basic moral code" of man to society and apparently also to "instinct" LOL, from whence cometh these tools of natural selection?

Layering theories on top of theories isn't working to support your case, except in your own mind which must need some sort of support system for comfort. Assumptions don't do it in the scientific realm, in case you didn't know that, so provide proof in the scientific sense rather than opinions.

Whether you see this reply or not doesn't matter at all to me, because we all understand you don't like to be told that you're failing.
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 06:55 AM
Lifer

Quote:

Whether you see this reply or not doesn't matter at all to me, because we all understand you don't like to be told that you're failing.

trans:
I don't give a flying piece of crap who you are or what you think you worthless sundried peice of ex cre ment. Now go to hail merry.
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 07:39 AM
Lifer

Uhh, no, that's your mind-of-a-ten-year-old's grasp of what you read. Your comprehension abilites fall far short of the stuff of legend......have you perhaps ever considered remedial therapy or schooling? DarkWolf at least can pose his statements in the manner of an educated adult; maybe with some further training and/or effort on your part you may be able to do so as well someday, but I wouldn't bet on it.
post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 08:01 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Uhh, no, that's your mind-of-a-ten-year-old's grasp of what you read. Your comprehension abilites fall far short of the stuff of legend......have you perhaps ever considered remedial therapy or schooling? DarkWolf at least can pose his statements in the manner of an educated adult; maybe with some further training and/or effort on your part you may be able to do so as well someday, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Please tell us again what we know and think, it saves us all the trouble.
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 08:14 AM
Lifer

Uhh no, it's like the old truism regarding pig wrestling: I don't bother doing it, because I'll get dirty and the pig (that would be you if you've lost track of what you just read already) enjoys it.

Another if you failed to understand the first: never argue with an idiot (that again would be you), because you have to stoop so far down to his level so as he can understand, and you run the risk of falling in with him.

Children's class dismissed.....
post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 08:18 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Uhh no, it's like the old truism regarding pig wrestling: I don't bother doing it, because I'll get dirty and the pig (that would be you if you've lost track of what you just read already) enjoys it.

Another if you failed to understand the first: never argue with an idiot (that again would be you), because you have to stoop so far down to his level so as he can understand, and you run the risk of falling in with him.

Indeed.
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Nice theories, now prove them. While doing so, since you have attributed the "basic moral code" of man to society and apparently also to "instinct" LOL, from whence cometh these tools of natural selection?

Layering theories on top of theories isn't working to support your case, except in your own mind which must need some sort of support system for comfort. Assumptions don't do it in the scientific realm, in case you didn't know that, so provide proof in the scientific sense rather than opinions.

Quoting the WHOLE statement for the sake of people blocking questions that make them uneasy.

-on a another note-

I think it is a little short sighted to give the attribute of being kind to your fellow man to further the village. Maybe in a sense where people are all equal. In time, man wants to get ahead, and wants to lead, and wants to be on top. These things come along naturally without being told or taught. We can look at history and see that man has done whatever necessary to get on top and stay there. Small villages helping out only lasts when it is on a small scale..such as aborigines. Even then...every tribe has enemies..because they want the best food sources, water sources, etc. In other words..to survive, they need to be #1. That is human nature.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed

Last edited by flashstang04; 02-28-2008 at 09:31 AM.
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 09:40 AM
ebay pimp

Quote:
Nice theories, now prove them.
Prove that God exists, then prove he's a Christian

You can't................, and even if you could........ he might turn out to be a Daoist? or a Druid?
post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
He already provided physical evidence.

Now show us some evidence of supernatural involvement.
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04

I think it is a little short sighted to give the attribute of being kind to your fellow man to further the village. Maybe in a sense where people are all equal. In time, man wants to get ahead, and wants to lead, and wants to be on top. These things come along naturally without being told or taught. We can look at history and see that man has done whatever necessary to get on top and stay there. Small villages helping out only lasts when it is on a small scale..such as aborigines. Even then...every tribe has enemies..because they want the best food sources, water sources, etc. In other words..to survive, they need to be #1. That is human nature.
On the contrary, altruism is not limited to humans.

Evidence exists that it is a natural phenomenon. No evidence exists for any supernatural phenomenon. Unless you wish to include hallucination as evidence. That's just how it works. And the biggest problem a person of faith has reconciling the natural world with their idea of the supernatural; one can be quantified, the other cannot. Sometimes it is best not to even try.
post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
As far as kill or be killed, I have no issues for when I have to protect myself or those I love from any harm whatsoever. I don't know how I could explain it scientifically, but in a nutshell, I'm super easy going with just about anyone, up to a point. Then the sleeping bear is awoken.
You animal, you!

If you have found what works, you are at least on the lead lap.
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Lifer

Is there anything of greater spiritual import than helping each other get back home? (At least that's what the voice in my head is telling me. He also said you people are on the right path but are of a different cadre, and I will always remember this site as...).
post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
He already provided physical evidence.

Now show us some evidence of supernatural involvement.
Still waiting for proof (crickets chirping). Behaivoral and sociological observations are not proof, nor are they physical evidence, as they are based on interpretation rather than quanitifyable fact that can be agreed upon by all parties.

God has already been proven to my satisfaction through the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecy by birth, life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Proof of an evolutionary basis for man's "basic moral code" emanating from "instinct" is lacking, and will apparently remain lacking in this thread. If one is going to hang their hat entirely on science to explain man's existence, come up with the proof that science demands because anything less is merely conjecture.
post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Quoting the WHOLE statement for the sake of people blocking questions that make them uneasy.
Thank you. FBOY was just trying to stir the pot, and as expected failed.
post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSON
Is there anything of greater spiritual import than helping each other get back home? (At least that's what the voice in my head is telling me. He also said you people are on the right path but are of a different cadre, and I will always remember this site as...).
To help another get home, you must first be there yourself or at least know how to find the way.

Last edited by Mr Majestyk; 02-28-2008 at 11:31 AM.
post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Lifer

Quote:
To help another get home, you must first be there yourself or at least know how to the way.
Right.
post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Still waiting for proof (crickets chirping). Behaivoral and sociological observations are not proof, nor are they physical evidence, as they are based on interpretation rather than quanitifyable fact that can be agreed upon by all parties.

God has already been proven to my satisfaction through the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecy by birth, life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Proof of an evolutionary basis for man's "basic moral code" emanating from "instinct" is lacking, and will apparently remain lacking in this thread. If one is going to hang their hat entirely on science to explain man's existence, come up with the proof that science demands because anything less is merely conjecture.
They are indeed evidence, unlike your supernatural proof which consists of incorrect history, which, if prophecy, is failed prophecy.
post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Lifer

As stated several times previously in this thread, prove it
post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Lifer

What is proof based on, what is the foundation of that base, and can this have proof.
post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
As stated several times previously in this thread, prove it
There is no point in painting a picture for a blind person.

Go ahead and believe what you wish. Your views are irrelavent to science.
post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Lifer

Science demands proof, otherwise the premise under scrutiny is merely conjecture or (ahem) belief. Evolution has been held up in this thread as the basis for man's behaivor regarding "morality". Evidence has been offered to that effect, but none of that evidence is concrete which can be measured or quantified to the standards required of scientific proof.

In a nutshell...FAIL
post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Lifer

Quote:

Similar in fashion to your views being irrelevant to theology? I'm good with that.
post #31 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Lifer

There are ways that we communicate with our pets. By familiarity we do get to know what the other is thinking it seems.
post #32 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
I block him because he's a child parading in an adult's body. His statements do not make me uneasy, I've just learned over years of debating these subjects, that you don't feed the trolls. It's better to just ignore them and move on.

Quote:
Further, it's nature. Not just human nature. That's the whole point of survival of the fittest.

But survival of the fittest also requires societal support. A community. Even those that strive to be #1 cannot get there without help from others.
Quote:

See flashstang04? This is why Majestyk is blocked. I know you feel a need to side with him, I dunno, out of christian solidarity or something... but his arguments and rebuttals amount to little more than plugging his ears and shouting "LA LA LA! I CAN'T HEAR YOU SO IT MUST NOT BE TRUE! LA LA LA!"

DarkWolf
post #33 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Lifer

^^^^^

Sounds like the boy is looking at himself in a mirror, except he's holding him wittle hands over his eyes so no one can see him (LOL) and whining like a baby
post #34 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Lifer

Quote:
^^^^^

Sounds like the boy is looking at himself in a mirror, except he's holding him wittle hands over his eyes so no one can see him (LOL) and whining like a baby
OK, Academy Award winning performance.
post #35 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Lifer

As Elvis would have said...thankyuh.....thankyuhverruhmuch!
post #36 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 06:50 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Well, proofs in science are few and far between. But I can say that there is a ton of evidence for it, versus the supernatural.
post #37 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 07:08 PM
not exclude

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "from whence cometh these tools of natural selection?" But, natural selection is one of the processes that cause evolution.

Natural selection is defined by 3 inferences base on 5 facts. It is well accepted in both religious and scientific circles of all beliefs. (I don't think anyone believes that there is no competition in nature and species cannot go extinct anymore).

Fact 1: All species have great potential fertility.
Fact 2: Populations display stability.
Fact 3: Natural resources are limited. In a stable environment, they remain relatively constant.
Inference 1: There is a "struggle for existence" among individuals of a population.
Fact 4: No two individuals are exactly alike; every population displays enormous variability.
Fact 5: Much of this variation is heritable.
Inference 2: Survival and reproduction is not random. It depends on the heritable constitution of surviving individuals.
Inference 3: Over generations, this process will lead to a continuing gradual change of populations and to production of new species.

So, essentially, natural selection is the idea that there is unequal survival and reproduction within species. It is a tool of evolution, but does not have tools necessarily.
post #38 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 07:14 PM
not exclude

Quote:

-on a another note-

Yes, but that all plays perfectly into the roles of it being part of natural selection. The tribes work closely together because they are more genetically similar...but when they have to compete for resources with tribes who are less genetically similar, its a willing compromise. (That's not to say, however, that it's a conscious decision. It's a random trait that is selected for/against).

When you don't have to fight for resources, it becomes easier to be greedy and/or be benevolent. Now, I'm not saying we will every be eusocial and it's not "that simple" but you get the idea.
post #39 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
I'm not sure what you mean by "from whence cometh these tools of natural selection?" But, natural selection is one of the processes that cause evolution.
Not challenging the existence of natural selection, rather it was the statement made that morality is based on "instinct" and both play a role in that selection process. Given that, my question regarded the origins of said morality and instinct. The answer given was that society determines morality, which is partially true, but no answer the question of why morality is there in the first place or where it came from. Even more so, instinct is presented as the be-all and end all answer as to why all creatures behave the way they do, but no answer is given as to why instinct is ever there in the first place, or what it is exactly. Still waiting for an answer from the OP regarding these questions (crickets still chirping), but he can be excused for dragging his feet because, after all, he can't see the questions LOL.
post #40 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 07:32 PM
Secular Dogooderist

Quote:
You're not serious, are you?

hahahahahahahahhahahahaha, funny guy...

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
This will help everyone out, check it.
It is time we acknowledged a basic feature of human discourse: when considering the truth of a proposition, one is either engaged in an honest appraisal of the evidence and logical arguments, or one is not. Religion is the one area of our lives where people imagine that some other standard of intellectual integrity applies.
-Sam Harris
post #41 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Secular Dogooderist

Quote:

See you've got it all wrong, they're trying to get you UP on their level, and you won't have any part of it.

This guy loves himself a circular argument where all parties involved agree to the point of nausea. This is the only he can and will argue about anything and everything.

But he's so experienced and enlightened.

Get over it Majestyk, your life has been a complete waste of time. Now go die slowly and quietly, your 'expertise' is no longer needed.

What a lush...

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
It is time we acknowledged a basic feature of human discourse: when considering the truth of a proposition, one is either engaged in an honest appraisal of the evidence and logical arguments, or one is not. Religion is the one area of our lives where people imagine that some other standard of intellectual integrity applies.
-Sam Harris
post #42 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Secular Dogooderist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
I block him because he's a child parading in an adult's body. His statements do not make me uneasy, I've just learned over years of debating these subjects, that you don't feed the trolls. It's better to just ignore them and move on.

Further, it's nature. Not just human nature. That's the whole point of survival of the fittest.

But survival of the fittest also requires societal support. A community. Even those that strive to be #1 cannot get there without help from others.

See flashstang04? This is why Majestyk is blocked. I know you feel a need to side with him, I dunno, out of christian solidarity or something... but his arguments and rebuttals amount to little more than plugging his ears and shouting "LA LA LA! I CAN'T HEAR YOU SO IT MUST NOT BE TRUE! LA LA LA!"
Correct on ALL accounts. His arguments turn out to be one large intricately stupid fallacy.

And the ironic thing is, he actually is convicted in his belief that he is of superior talent when it comes to argumentation, which I take to be absolutely hilarious. Especially when you consider the fact that he's older than most of us and contains but half of the normal intelligence of other more logically grounded adults.

Go figure, sign of the times I guess...

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
-Sam Harris

Last edited by Zarathustra; 02-29-2008 at 07:46 PM.
post #43 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Secular Dogooderist

On the other hand, to get back on topic, I like the 'nature' of this thread, pardon the pun. I think there was a good teleological discourse taking place in here.

I'd like to add that in the world of morality, there is no objective truth.

What to you guys is a necessary and sufficient means of expanding the moral base class of consideration to include these other teleological centers of life?

Right now I'm in an Environmental Ethics course and I've ran into a wealth of information on the topic. There's some good thought-provoking dialog in store for those who are willing to delve deeper on the topic with myself and others.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
-Sam Harris
post #44 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra
I'd like to add that in the world of morality, there is no objective truth.
lol
post #45 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra
See you've got it all wrong, they're trying to get you UP on their level, and you won't have any part of it.

This guy loves himself a circular argument where all parties involved agree to the point of nausea. This is the only he can and will argue about anything and everything.

But he's so experienced and enlightened.

Get over it Majestyk, your life has been a complete waste of time. Now go die slowly and quietly, your 'expertise' is no longer needed.

What a lush...
Welcome to another topic in which you're hopelessly ignorant FudgePecker. Your ass is just as easy to ream here as in any other thread, and the kicker is you like it LOL.
post #46 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Secular Dogooderist

Good job.

You lose.

Again.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
-Sam Harris
post #47 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Lifer

FudgePecker = FAIL

BTW, everyone gets a good LOL at the way you answer to the name "FudgePecker"; you've obviuosly accepted it being the abomination of a fag that you are.
post #48 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
FudgePecker = FAIL

BTW, everyone gets a good LOL at the way you answer to the name "FudgePecker"; you've obviuosly accepted it being the abomination of a fag that you are.

Perhaps he is trying to please Ahuramazda, that particular cult's god,

and lover of men I might add as well...just like Nietzsche.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #49 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Similar in fashion to your views being irrelevant to theology? I'm good with that.
I honestly thank you for that.

Don't feel threatened by me. I don't really have an argument against "goddidit". I simply don't feel the need for a supernatural influence.
post #50 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
To help another get home, you must first be there yourself or at least know how to find the way.
Hansel and Gretel still made the mistake of trusting the witch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement