Thinking out loud #3 - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Dallas,Texas
Posts: 906
Thinking out loud #3

Pagan this pagan that...this is an old tired argument which in actauality has no point to argue.

All these pagan roots have nothing to do with BELIEFS, none what so ever.

These so called holidays were all representative of the season of the earth and the soltice and equinox and astroloy etc...

When the church came along they replaced them to make the transition easier...has nothing to do with the Bible really or any Belief system.

I personally am not a fan of the Christmas tree...I don't mind fake ones but the real ones chap my ass a bit...I see no reason to chop down trees.

I don't like Santa Claus...nothing against but if I have kids I am certainly not shoveling this crap in there minds....

Forget about the Easter bunny...

None of this has anything to do with authentic Christianity....plain and simple.
SVT93Style is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 10:53 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!
 
DarkWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,316
You are absolutely correct. It has nothing to do with christianity. And the bible specifically instructs jews and subsequently christians not to take up the ways of the pagans.

And yet year after year we've got christmas trees and wreathes, santa and his elves, the easter bunny and it's eggs, leprechauns, and trick or treating.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
DarkWolf is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Dallas,Texas
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
You are absolutely correct. It has nothing to do with christianity. And the bible specifically instructs jews and subsequently christians not to take up the ways of the pagans.

And yet year after year we've got christmas trees and wreathes, santa and his elves, the easter bunny and it's eggs, leprechauns, and trick or treating.

I agree with this, but from what I understand people disagree about why "we" do this.

Just b/c the christmas tree was a pagan sign and now has been adopted into tradition and or culture people are not doing for the same reason...they are not worshiping the tree or the season...so the whole Christianity is pagan thing doesn't apply at all.
These pagan thing were taken over and replaced..

People do it b/c its festive and it's chirstmas etc...if Christ is at the center not the pagan ideal...does it matter?
SVT93Style is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?
 
flashstang04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT93Style
I agree with this, but from what I understand people disagree about why "we" do this.

Just b/c the christmas tree was a pagan sign and now has been adopted into tradition and or culture people are not doing for the same reason...they are not worshiping the tree or the season...so the whole Christianity is pagan thing doesn't apply at all.
These pagan thing were taken over and replaced..

People do it b/c its festive and it's chirstmas etc...if Christ is at the center not the pagan ideal...does it matter?

Many of the traditions were accepted as Christian traditions so that the pagans would be influenced into Christianity, so in that regard, there is nothing wrong if someone wants to decorate a tree, for they are surely not setting it up as an idol.

Same thing with the date Dec 25th. The only reason this date was chosen is so that the pagans influence would eventually fade around one of their biggest holy days, and eventually be lost in celebrating Christ's birth. It worked too.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
flashstang04 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 06:07 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!
 
DarkWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,316
Except it's all a facade.

They did their jobs in the past (convert pagans), why not change christmas to christ's true birthday? (I'll set aside for the moment that no one actually knows for sure when Jesus was born). Why not eliminate easter entirely, and just have a traditional mass celebrating the resurrection?

Why celebrate his birth at all, when celebrating any birth was never a christian tradition until around the 3rd or 4th century as the church was working on adopting holidays and rituals in order to convert pagans?

Continuing them now is just maintaining the charade. They were forged under false pretense, and they continue to this day under false pretense. It's using christ as a band-aid to "fix" pagan holidays, while still observing the rights and rituals performed on those pagan holidays.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
DarkWolf is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?
 
flashstang04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
Except it's all a facade.

They did their jobs in the past (convert pagans), why not change christmas to christ's true birthday? (I'll set aside for the moment that no one actually knows for sure when Jesus was born). Why not eliminate easter entirely, and just have a traditional mass celebrating the resurrection?

Why celebrate his birth at all, when celebrating any birth was never a christian tradition until around the 3rd or 4th century as the church was working on adopting holidays and rituals in order to convert pagans?

Continuing them now is just maintaining the charade. They were forged under false pretense, and they continue to this day under false pretense. It's using christ as a band-aid to "fix" pagan holidays, while still observing the rights and rituals performed on those pagan holidays.

I find i agree with you a lot in this post. I can't, however, fail to see the effectiveness of the ministries around the holidays. "It should be that way all the time" you may say, and you would be right, but there is something about this time of year that makes some people seek what they have been missing. Many are more spiritually fertile for whatever reason. For that reason alone, I think Christ can overlook the fact that it is a shell holiday, if not only for the fact that His people touch so many more around Christmas.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
flashstang04 is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 08:53 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
Except it's all a facade.

They did their jobs in the past (convert pagans), ......

Continuing them now is just maintaining the charade. They were forged under false pretense, and they continue to this day under false pretense. It's using christ as a band-aid to "fix" pagan holidays, while still observing the rights and rituals performed on those pagan holidays.
Good points. Maybe it's because the Christian elements of today's holidays are the minor focus. Have the pagans retaken the holidays? What do you think the public reaction would be to what you've proposed? Letís say you separate all the holidays. Which group would dominate and which fade into obscurity.

I don't know how the holidays have been celebrated for the last 400 years. Has Christianity ever truly been the focus or driving force behind them?

I find it pretty interesting that some denominations embrace the holidays, while others seek to separate themselves from them.

05 GT Torch Red C&L CAI, Diablo 93 tune, BMR LCR's & UCR, Pro 5.0, S UDP, Mac
<a href="http://giftube.com/"><img src="http://giftube.com/gifs/1016.gif" alt=""></a><br/><a style="padding:3px;background: transparent;color:#00ADEF;font-family:tahoma;font-size:10px;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none;" href="http://giftube.com/" target="_blank">Gifs at Giftube.com </a>
jones4stangs is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04
I find i agree with you a lot in this post. I can't, however, fail to see the effectiveness of the ministries around the holidays. "It should be that way all the time" you may say, and you would be right, but there is something about this time of year that makes some people seek what they have been missing. Many are more spiritually fertile for whatever reason. For that reason alone, I think Christ can overlook the fact that it is a shell holiday, if not only for the fact that His people touch so many more around Christmas.
Good observation.

05 GT Torch Red C&L CAI, Diablo 93 tune, BMR LCR's & UCR, Pro 5.0, S UDP, Mac
<a href="http://giftube.com/"><img src="http://giftube.com/gifs/1016.gif" alt=""></a><br/><a style="padding:3px;background: transparent;color:#00ADEF;font-family:tahoma;font-size:10px;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none;" href="http://giftube.com/" target="_blank">Gifs at Giftube.com </a>
jones4stangs is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Lifer
 
89gt-stanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Keller
Posts: 2,692
I know several non believers that use Christmas trees, not to display faith, but to display the spirit of the "holidays" and the gift of giving, and receiving.
89gt-stanger is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?
 
flashstang04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89gt-stanger
I know several non believers that use Christmas trees, not to display faith, but to display the spirit of the "holidays" and the gift of giving, and receiving.

Kind of goes along with my point about non believers being more receptive around this time.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
flashstang04 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome