Golden Compass GTG - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
lol, this place sucks now

Golden Compass GTG

Lets meet somewhere easy to find and all head out to see this thing. Maybe here ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

In. I'm going to see if I can round up some kids to take this too. It'll be my good deed of the year. Any of you guys want to bring some kids from your church, we highly encourage it.
post #3 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Time Served

Why are you all so gung-ho about The Golden Compass? My wife and I researched this and apparently, this first movie is decent, and tends to keep religion out of the picture, for the most part. But, there are two more books after the first book, and they are adimently against God. In the third book, the story is blatantly telling people to go against God.

American Family Association is saying that the goal of this first movie is to get kids hooked on the story so they'll go read the books and get the anti-God message of the second and third books. Like I said, this first movie is supposed to be a good one, and keeps the religion out of it, to some degree...but watch out for the books and second and third movies. I won't give these people my money after finding out what the book trilogy is about.

- Brian
1992 Taurus SHO

post #4 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianC
Why are you all so gung-ho about The Golden Compass? My wife and I researched this and apparently, this first movie is decent, and tends to keep religion out of the picture, for the most part. But, there are two more books after the first book, and they are adimently against God. In the third book, the story is blatantly telling people to go against God.

American Family Association is saying that the goal of this first movie is to get kids hooked on the story so they'll go read the books and get the anti-God message of the second and third books. Like I said, this first movie is supposed to be a good one, and keeps the religion out of it, to some degree...but watch out for the books and second and third movies. I won't give these people my money after finding out what the book trilogy is about.
Whats your point?
post #5 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

I went to Chic-Fil-A the other day and my daughter got a Veggie Tales book in her kids meal. We went in there for some chicken.
post #6 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4
I went to Chic-Fil-A the other day and my daughter got a Veggie Tales book in her kids meal. We went in there for some chicken.
Veggies > Chicken

Just sayin'...
post #7 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Colorado Dreamin'

Check this out.. You can create your own Daemon on the website.. This is awesome. I'm a Raccoon, what are you?

http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/?359799

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson

Last edited by Chili; 11-07-2007 at 02:30 PM.
post #8 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Time Served

Thought my point was obvious. That I won't give money to people trying to sneak anti-God rederick into movies.

In regard to Veggie Tales at Chick-Fil-A, that's their agenda. They openly say they're run by Christians and do not open on Sundays due to this fact. They aren't trying to hide the fact that they are Christian. This movie shows lots of flashy action and graphics to draw people and kids in, but never once are we told on the commercials that it's anti-God. I don't care for the deception.

If they would come out and say that, I'd have no problem with them showing this movie. None whatsoever. Because very few would go see it. And that's exactly why they won't advertise it's anti-God. Well, and the other reason is because they really are anti-God and don't want anyone to know that until they're sucked into the stories. It's either about money, anti-God, or both. Just wish they'd come out and say it is all.

- Brian
1992 Taurus SHO
post #9 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Big "foot"

Quote:
Thought my point was obvious. That I won't give money to people trying to sneak anti-God rederick into movies.

In regard to Veggie Tales at Chick-Fil-A, that's their agenda. They openly say they're run by Christians and do not open on Sundays due to this fact. They aren't trying to hide the fact that they are Christian. This movie shows lots of flashy action and graphics to draw people and kids in, but never once are we told on the commercials that it's anti-God. I don't care for the deception.

If they would come out and say that, I'd have no problem with them showing this movie. None whatsoever. Because very few would go see it. And that's exactly why they won't advertise it's anti-God. Well, and the other reason is because they really are anti-God and don't want anyone to know that until they're sucked into the stories. It's either about money, anti-God, or both. Just wish they'd come out and say it is all.

Wait... wait. Did you really just say "rederick"?

post #10 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Out

Quote:

Right. I have no problem if someone wants to speak out against God, just be open about it. The maker's were originally trying to sneak it in, but were called on it. Now they're more open about it AFTER the fact. What were they afraid of? God?
post #11 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Well obviously you didn't see The Chronicles Of Narnia, because it never claimed to be Pro-god.
post #12 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili
Check this out.. You can create your own D/emon on the website.. This is awesome. I'm a Raccoon, what are you?

Kick ass. I'm Amantha, one of the jackal daemons.
post #13 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Out

Quote:
Well obviously you didn't see The Chronicles Of Narnia, because it never claimed to be Pro-god.
The book sold in the religion section of bookstores.
post #14 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

So they sell christian chicken? I for one don't really care what religion someone is when I buy something from them, I just want some chicken, not some chicken with a side of guilt.
post #15 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Out

Quote:
So they sell christian chicken? I for one don't really care what religion someone is when I buy something from them, I just want some chicken, not some chicken with a side of guilt.
Tough to swallow?
post #16 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
The book sold in the religion section of bookstores.
The bookstore is on the other end of the mall from the theater.

In which section of the bookstore is the book that The Golden Compass is based on?
post #17 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Out

Quote:
The bookstore is on the other end of the mall from the theater.

In which section of the bookstore is the book that The Golden Compass is based on?
Fuck if I know. I was just stating what I do know as a comment to what you posted.
post #18 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Fuck if I know. I was just stating what I do know as a comment to what you posted.
What part of the movie trailer told me where to locate the book in the bookstore?
post #19 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Check this out.. You can create your own Daemon on the website.. This is awesome. I'm a Raccoon, what are you?

the chimp lol
post #20 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Out

Quote:
What part of the movie trailer told me where to locate the book in the bookstore?
The book was out well before the movie. I never saw a trailer. I finally saw the movie on DVD.
post #21 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Tough to swallow?

No, more of a sharp pain in the ass cheek.
post #22 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Big "foot"

We're burying the lead here fellas. This guy seriously typed "rederick" when he meant "rhetoric".

Pandamonium! The dead rising from the grave! Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

post #23 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The book was out well before the movie. I never saw a trailer. I finally saw the movie on DVD.
I didn't read the book and my daughter couldn't read then. We saw a bazillion movie trailers for it though. That's why she wanted to see it. I guess I was tricked by those pro-god ad execs because they never said anything about it. They sucked me in with all the special effects and cool visuals.
post #24 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKE
We're burying the lead here fellas. This guy seriously typed "rederick" when he meant "rhetoric".

Pandamonium! The dead rising from the grave! Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
There are more important things to focus on this time.
post #25 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

So uh, you guys coming to the GTG or not? Sheesh!
post #26 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Out

Quote:
I didn't read the book and my daughter couldn't read then. We saw a bazillion movie trailers for it though. That's why she wanted to see it. I guess I was tricked by those pro-god ad execs because they never said anything about it. They sucked me in with all the special effects and cool visuals.
Did it make her become a Christian? I'm not sticking up for that movie, by any means. I was just stating how chickenshit it was for the Golden Compass makers. You can draw the same conclusion, if you want. Either way, it's chickenshit.
post #27 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:

Then you shouldn't spend your money in an obvious Christian establishment that supports veggie tales and closes on Sundays.

On a side note..I hate all of you because you have chick fila and I don't

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #28 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Anyone who is familiar with CS Lewis or Tolkien knows that they were both outspoken Chrisitans.

Lewis went so far as to include the Christ figure in this one. Aside from "Weep for Joy", most of his works were Christian in nature.

click this if you aren't familiar with the controversy...

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=58341

post #29 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04
Anyone who is familiar with CS Lewis or Tolkien knows that they were both outspoken Chrisitans.

Lewis went so far as to include the Christ figure in this one. Aside from "Weep for Joy", most of his works were Christian in nature.

click this if you aren't familiar with the controversy...

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=58341

um, wouldn't you have to be christian to care enough in the first place?
post #30 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Did it make her become a Christian? I'm not sticking up for that movie, by any means. I was just stating how chickenshit it was for the Golden Compass makers. You can draw the same conclusion, if you want. Either way, it's chickenshit.

No, she didn't become christian. Would taking your kid to go see Golden Compass make them anti-god?
post #31 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04
Then you shouldn't spend your money in an obvious Christian establishment that supports veggie tales and closes on Sundays.

On a side note..I hate all of you because you have chick fila and I don't
Like I said, I don't hold it against them that they are closed on Sundays, although the signs they have posted says they are closed on Sundays for family time, it says nothing about church or religion, but I guess that is neither here nor there. They also don't say anything to the effect of, "May god be with you" when I order my #4 with a large sweet tea. I order, they give it to me and normally all is good. I'll mention I am agnostic the next time I'm in there though, just to see what happens. It could be fun.

I won't stop going there because they are christian, more power to them. I will go there because I want a #4 with a large sweet tea. Maybe I should take a page out of the christian handbook by gathering up some friends and boycotting them because it's against what I believe. No, instead I'll continue to go there, politely ask them to turn down the christian tunes that are piped in, and give back any god propaganda that they see fit to give to my 6 year old daughter, and eat my #4 combo.
post #32 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Time Served

Quote:
That's because the Chronicals of Narnia were C.S. Lewis and everyone knows that they are Christian alegory... That's widely known. The Golden Compass is not a famous literary work like the Chronicals of Narnia.

- Brian
1992 Taurus SHO
post #33 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Time Served

Quote:
No, she didn't become christian. Would taking your kid to go see Golden Compass make them anti-god?
Of course not. It simply influences their decisions. They have to choose for themselves...

We are the sum total of all of our choices in regard to the events that happen in our life. The more input we have in any one direction, the more we are likely to choose that direction. For instance, if someone has never been taught about evolution, and someone suggests that everything was either created by God or evolved after the big bang, that person will choose God and creation, because they've been taught that, but haven't been taught evolution. They had more input for creation, and less for evolution. They chose the larger influence in their life.

Don't want this to get into evolution and creation, though. lol I knew a lot about evolution before I became a creationist. But for me, it wasn't necessarily about amount of influential information. It was about the quality of the information and the logical conclusions or research data and interpretation. Either way, you cannot believe in something you've never been taught about before, so how much you're influenced in one direction is important. We're responsible for our choices though.

- Brian
1992 Taurus SHO
post #34 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That's because the Chronicals of Narnia were C.S. Lewis and everyone knows that they are Christian alegory... That's widely known. The Golden Compass is not a famous literary work like the Chronicals of Narnia.
I beg to differ.

http://www.scholastic.co.uk/zone/boo...dm-classic.htm

I didn't know anything about CS Lewis, I don't follow christian literature. To be honest, I don't follow much literature at all. It looked like a cool movie, so I took my daughter.

Golden Compass looks kinda cool, so I'll be taking her to see it as well.
post #35 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 06:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
although the signs they have posted says they are closed on Sundays for family time, it says nothing about church or religion, but I guess that is neither here nor there.
it says they're closed to give the employees a chance to rest, spend time with family and friends, and worship if they chose to do so.

post #36 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Pilgrim

never heard about it
post #37 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 05:42 AM
Out

Quote:
No, but I'm not the one making a dog and pony show of either movie.
post #38 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 05:50 AM
Time Served

So Anubis and ClockWrk, just why are you in the theology forum hatin and everything like that? What is your beef with us?
post #39 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 06:00 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastback
So Anubis and ClockWrk, just why are you in the theology forum hatin and everything like that? What is your beef with us?
No beef, just gettin' their kicks from watching some believers get pissed... some of them. Call it a hobby.
post #40 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 06:23 AM
Time Served

Quote:
No beef, just gettin' their kicks from watching some believers get pissed... some of them. Call it a hobby.
Right on.... poopnuts. It's like we got trick-or-treaters except they were just tricks. LOL
post #41 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 07:36 AM
Colorado Dreamin'

Quote:
From Monsoon's Welcome: Guidelines thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon X
I don't just want believers in here....that would get really boring.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

post #42 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 07:44 AM
Time Served

Right. I'm just callin it as I see it....
post #43 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 07:47 AM
Colorado Dreamin'

Quote:
Right. I'm just callin it as I see it....
Calling what like you see it? I'm confused now..

It's called busting chops man. Don't get too tied to the downtrodden victim role, it's really not a big deal.

90 Bronco

post #44 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 07:48 AM
Time Served

Wow! I figured that everyone would be lining up to go see Golden Compass and buy the books. After all the evil organization is The Magisterium.

There is plenty of Christian literature which speaks against a group called the Magisterium which has members called Bishops.

Pullman claimed that his main issue is actually those who, "misuse religion, or any other kind of doctrine with a holy book" with the purpose tp "dominate and supress human freedoms."

As Hollywood has pointed out in many other posts, the problem is religion. Once we remove religion such as, Pol Pot and Stalin did, we can all live in peace. (Have you researched those non-religious regimes yet Hollywood?)

03 Mach1
[email protected] N/A
post #45 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Calling what like you see it? I'm confused now..

It's called busting chops man. Don't get too tied to the downtrodden victim role, it's really not a big deal.
Yes, you are confused bc I am no victim. I'm just sayin' these guys are only here to bust chops. They have no contribution. That is the difference between what you posted about wanting non-Christians in here. Yes, they are wanted but so they can contribute... not just to be hatin' . But you knew that.
post #46 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain_Mach1
Wow! I figured that everyone would be lining up to go see Golden Compass and buy the books. After all the evil organization is The Magisterium.

There is plenty of Christian literature which speaks against a group called the Magisterium which has members called Bishops.

Pullman claimed that his main issue is actually those who, "misuse religion, or any other kind of doctrine with a holy book" with the purpose tp "dominate and supress human freedoms."

As Hollywood has pointed out in many other posts, the problem is religion. Once we remove religion such as, Pol Pot and Stalin did, we can all live in peace. (Have you researched those non-religious regimes yet Hollywood?)

Here are a couple of the major issues Brian: (from the site I linked)

Pullman represents God as a decrepit and perverse angel in his novels, who captures the dead in a "prison camp" afterlife. As one fallen angel tells one of the novel's young heroes:

The Authority, God, the Creator, the Lord, Yahweh, El, Adonai, the King, the Father, the Almighty those were all names he gave himself. He was never the creator. He was an angel like ourselves the first angel, true, the most powerful, but he was formed of Dust as we are, and Dust is only a name for what happens when matter begins to understand itself.

-and-

One heroine in the story who turns from the Church did so when she realized "there wasn't any God at all and the Christian religion is a very powerful and convincing mistake, that's all." Instead, the Church just kept her from finding love, thinking freely and pursuing bodily pleasures like sex. As she notes:

"I'd made myself believe that I was fine and happy and fulfilled on my own without the love of anyone else." Later, she says, "I knew what I should think: it was whatever the Church taught me to think. So I never had to think about [science] for myself."

post #47 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 09:04 AM
Time Served

I got it, I was being sarcastic since he attaks the Catholic Church when attacking Christianity. It is easier to go after the largest most visible target when attacking Christianity.

Changing the name of the evil group from The Church to The Magisterium is the perfect example.

I find it interesting that the discussion about the Golden Compass gets more attention than Bella the Movie. Bella is about living Christianity, a positive message.

Threads like this tell a lot about what people are against, but what are they for?

The fact is the Golden Compass will get more money from Americans than movies like Bella will, but we will complain about the lack of Christian movies?

Let's put our money where our hearts truly are.

03 Mach1
[email protected] N/A
post #48 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

This is the Theology Forum, not the christian forum, not the catholic forum. As far as I know agnosticism is considered to be under the theology umbrella.
Until you can convince me otherwise, I will continue to post in the Theology Forum, and apparently you will continue to have your panties wadded.

It seems to me that you guys can't even agree on views when you are on the same side, let alone with someone not on your team.

Denny, my whole point is that if there can be a Narnia movie about god and whatnot, why can't there be a similar movie showing the other side without it being a problem? I must have missed all the atheist and agnostic protests during the release of Narnia.

I also recall another fictional movie not to long ago starring Tom Hanks that was highly protested by the religious folks. Hell, that just made me want to see it more.
post #49 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain_Mach1

I find it interesting that the discussion about the Golden Compass gets more attention than Bella the Movie. Bella is about living Christianity, a positive message.

Threads like this tell a lot about what people are against, but what are they for?

The fact is the Golden Compass will get more money from Americans than movies like Bella will, but we will complain about the lack of Christian movies?

Let's put our money where our hearts truly are.
Of course it's getting more attention, it is being protested by religious groups, having emails spread from person to person saying how "bad" the movie is and getting people all worked up about it, just like Da Vinci Code and Last Temptation of Christ (which I haven't seen).

Complaining about the lack of christian movies? I'm complaining that there aren't enough movies that display the alternative. It's unfortunate that the church is so biased that they can't stand to have those movies even exist without causing a ruckus.
post #50 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Lifer

Oh you Masons...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement