Confirmation - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
老师

Confirmation

Went to my girlfriend's confirmation on saturday, and i was just wondering what religion most people are here. I consider myself agnostic (i dont really care for any of it). some call me an atheist, but i dont like to call myself that because of the bad connotation. I was raised Unitarian but have ince sstrayed from organized religion in any form. I went to her confirmation to make her happy, not to worship. Anyone else here agnostic/atheist? I would love to have discussion in here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 05:47 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Most of the people that post here are Christian, such as myself. You will find some that post once in a while that are either atheist or agnostic. If you want to have an intelligent religious discussion though, this is the place.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 05:52 PM
Time Served

Conformation

So I would guess your girlfriend is Chatholic, is that right?
Out of curiousity you being not a believer and her being one....doesn't that cause problems for you guys?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
老师

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT93Style
So I would guess your girlfriend is Chatholic, is that right?
Out of curiousity you being not a believer and her being one....doesn't that cause problems for you guys?
Assuming Catholicism is her religion, you would be correct. We have problems like every couple, but we try to keep religion out of the relationship. Her dad just converted to catholocism from, well i guess agnosticism for lack of a better word and thats making things kinda hard on me. We have been going together for 3 and a half years now and she would like it very much for me to go to church with her. But i have made it very clear that even if i did choose a religion it would not be catholicism. i dont really like the weird ceremonies they have, its not for me.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 08:57 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuboi84
Assuming Catholicism is her religion, you would be correct. We have problems like every couple, but we try to keep religion out of the relationship. Her dad just converted to catholocism from, well i guess agnosticism for lack of a better word and thats making things kinda hard on me. We have been going together for 3 and a half years now and she would like it very much for me to go to church with her. But i have made it very clear that even if i did choose a religion it would not be catholicism. i dont really like the weird ceremonies they have, its not for me.
Religion envolves relationships, with god and the people around you.

People can make a relationship work with difference between them, but it makes it difficult. Spirituality in a relationship can be a bigger problem than people think.

If will depend on how adamant/reverent about religion both of you are, or become.

Good Luck.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
老师

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog
Religion envolves relationships, with god and the people around you.

People can make a relationship work with difference between them, but it makes it difficult. Spirituality in a relationship can be a bigger problem than people think.

If will depend on how adamant/reverent about religion both of you are, or become.

Good Luck.
thanks but i do not believe in luck i think we will be alright, if she cant see past the fact that i dont believe in organized religion or god, then i really dont want to be with somebody so closed-minded. but so far shes been nothing but understanding with my religious choices.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 09:20 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
thanks but i do not believe in luck
I hope for good random events to perchance about your existence.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 12:11 AM
Time Served

Kids

What will you do when you have kids?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 12:29 AM
Lifer

My wife is Catholic and I am a non-believer. We have been married for almost four years now and have a 15 month old daughter. We discussed the situation in length BEFORE we got married and agreed that we could make it work just fine. She goes to church some Sundays and I do not. That works out OK for us. What matters most in our relationship is our commitment to each other and to our daughter.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 06:30 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Why is it only believers are the ones that are close minded and not the non-believers? That is one thing I never understood. Do you think it may be possible for a non-believer to be just as close minded as the next person?

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
老师

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog
Why is it only believers are the ones that are close minded and not the non-believers? That is one thing I never understood. Do you think it may be possible for a non-believer to be just as close minded as the next person?
it is definitely possible for a non-believer to be just as closed minded. the only thing is that most non-believers are mathematicians and scientists and they are always open to the possibility that a god does truly exist, but they need evidence. and at the moment, scientifically speaking, there is more pointing to non-existence than pointing the other way.

as for out kids, we will leave it up to them, and when they have the cognitive skills to figure out what they want to do, then they can choose. but i will not allow my child to be baptised or christened or whatever it may be, presumably against their will. and my better half agrees with me 100%.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 03:25 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
the only thing is that most non-believers are mathematicians and scientists and they are always open to the possibility that a god does truly exist, but they need evidence. and at the moment, scientifically speaking, there is more pointing to non-existence than pointing the other way.
I am looking for the article that shows that the more that scientist learn about the workings of our universe, it appears to be by design. Because if one of the many univeral constants were off by a tiny amount, the universe couldn't be.

This will keep you busy for a while. http://www.godandscience.org/

BTW, if you are searching for answers, to find the absolute proof to god, you'll never find it. God wants us to make a choice to worship, but it will not come as an epiphany, but as a leap of faith.

Last edited by TexasDevilDog; 05-16-2005 at 03:43 PM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 03:28 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
I am looking for the article that shows that the more that scientist learn about the workings of our universe, it appears to be by design. Because if one of the many univeral constants were off by a tiny amount, the universe couldn't be.
Found it: http://www.leaderu.com/offices/bradl.../universe.html

Quote:
It is quite easy to understand why so many scientists have changed their minds in the past 30 years, agreeing that it takes a great deal of faith to believe the universe can be explained as nothing more than a fortuitous cosmic accident. Evidence for an intelligent designer becomes more compelling the more we understand about our carefully crafted habitat.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
老师

Quote:
i love it how they say "G" is a universal constant when they have no idea what the rest of the universe is like. going off of assumptions and what they THINK they know. seems like the whole world tody thinks they know what they are talking about.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 04:17 PM

When people see a beautiful painting they usually say "wow, who painted that?". And when they see great architecture they say "amazing, who designed/built that?". So when I look at this universe which is far more complex than a building or painting my natural assumption is "who created this?".
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 09:18 AM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
i love it how they say "G" is a universal constant when they have no idea what the rest of the universe is like. going off of assumptions and what they THINK they know. seems like the whole world tody thinks they know what they are talking about.
I wonder some times why the secular world can easily dismisses the notion of god, by saying "our vast knowledge can disprove god", when the sum human knowledge is so small compared to what is. Humanity can barely calculate a weather system and usually they are wrong.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
老师

Quote:
I wonder some times why the secular world can easily dismisses the notion of god, by saying "our vast knowledge can disprove god", when the sum human knowledge is so small compared to what is. Humanity can barely calculate a weather system and usually they are wrong.
i agree completely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement