The Bush's christian witness - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

The Bush's christian witness

I get so tired of hearing "isn't it great to have a strong christian in the white house". We all slip up sometimes but this is premeditated/planned out so don't give me any baloney about what great christian leaders we have.

Posted: May 6, 2005
1:00 a.m. Eastern

http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=44147

© 2005 Tribune Media Services, Inc.

"I am a desperate housewife!" With that plaintive lament, first lady Laura Bush stole the show at this year's White House Correspondents' Dinner.

I've been to nine of those dinners. The routine never changes. After presenting a few awards for good journalism, which nobody pays any attention to, the head of the press corps introduces the president of the United States. The president tries to be funny, but is usually not. He's followed by a stand-up comic, who is sometimes funny. Then everybody goes out and gets drunk.

But this year was different. President Bush had barely begun his remarks, launching into a tired old joke about a cattle guard, when the first lady groaned: "Oh, no!" To everyone's astonishment, she then stood up, walked to the podium and took over. It was obviously all scripted, but it was no less effective – and Laura Bush delivered an Oscar-winning performance. She was very funny. She delivered her lines with perfect timing.

But the biggest surprise was not what Laura Bush did. It was what she said. She was not only funny, she was downright dirty. Or at least suggestive. Put it this way: Her subject matter wasn't what you'd expect at a church picnic. And Laura Bush proved herself no church lady.

First, she joked about being a big fan of "Desperate Housewives," the sleaziest, raunchiest show on television, about a group of women cheating on their husbands, which the Parents Television Council condemned as full of "gratuitous sex, explicit dialogue, obscene language, violent content, and therefore unsuitable for children under 17." Then she told about going out with Condoleezza Rice, Karen Hughes and Lynne Cheney to Chippendales, the male stripper nightclub, where they ran into Justices Sandra Day O'Connor and Ruth Bader Ginsburg. "I won't tell you what happened," said the first lady, "but let's just say that the Secret Service's new code name for Lynne Cheney is Dollar Bill." (If you don't get that joke, you've never been to Chippendales – nor any female strip club).

That was still mild, compared to her next riff. To illustrate how uninformed President Bush was about ranching when they moved to Crawford, Mrs. Bush informed the world that he went out one morning to do the milking. Except he tried to milk a horse ... a male horse! (I'm sorry. I don't know about you, but, somehow, I can't shake the image of the most powerful man on earth manipulating a horse's penis.)

Once I picked myself up off the floor, three thoughts raced through my head. First (as is often the case with first ladies): Why isn't she the president? Second: What if Hillary Clinton had made the same joke about President Bill Clinton? The Religious Right would have roasted her alive!

Which prompted my third thought: poor Laura Bush. Now she's going to get hammered big time for her potty mouth. After all, Whoopi Goldberg got fired for less. And Howard Stern was fined $1.75 million for joking about flatulence. The purity police are in such force these days, you can't say anything even slightly off-color without fear of being visited by the Federal Communications Commission, the FBI, the Traditional Values Coalition or a representative of Benedict XVI.

Boy, was I wrong about that one. We haven't heard one word of criticism about Laura Bush from religious conservatives like Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Lou Sheldon or James Dobson – those same people who would have crucified Hillary. And we never will, either. For one simple reason: They're too beholden to President Bush. They need him to appoint extremist, right-wing judges. And they suck too much money from his faith-based initiative. They're in Bush's hip pocket. They don't dare criticize him, or the first lady, no matter how many racy stories she tells.

Now, that double standard may be annoying, but it's also revealing. Because it exposes leaders of the Religious Right for the phonies they are. They invoke the wrath of God whenever a liberal says something risque. Yet they remain silent whenever conservatives do the same. In the end, they've become so identified with one political party, they are nothing more than political hacks.

And for that, all Americans owe Laura Bush a great debt of gratitude. She not only provided us a great evening's entertainment, she also taught us a powerful lesson: "Don't pay any attention to those pious political preachers. God knows, I don't."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

What is wrong? It was a roasting. Yep, christians shouldn't have a sence of humor.

11) Thou shall not joke around.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Eph 5:1 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;
Eph 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.
Eph 5:3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
Eph 5:4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
Eph 5:5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
Eph 5:6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
Eph 5:7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them.
Eph 5:8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
Eph 5:9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth
Eph 5:10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.
Eph 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
Eph 5:12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 02:01 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
“Foolish talking”: “Impious, silly, godless speech without forethought and wisdom “(Caldwell p. 232). “Is the talk of a fool, the man who does not know God (Psalm 14:1)” (Boles p. 298). “Foolish talking" would include the discussion of subject matter, which violates God's truth, that is speculations, which contradict the truth God has already revealed.

“Coarse jesting”: “Suggestive jesting” (Wms); “coarse jokes” (Tay) “polished and witty speech as the instrument of sin. Sometimes it is lodged in a sly question, in a smart answer, in cunningly diverting or cleverly retorting an objection, in a lusty hyperbole, in a plausible reconciling of contradictions, or in acute nonsense” (Vincent p. 398). “Witty talk that is corrupted by a smutty intention, a nasty insinuation which raises a laugh at the expense of someone's good name” (Boles p. 298).
http://www.ch-of-christ.beaverton.or.us/Our_Speech.htm
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

More from same site.

Quote:
It is so easy to be influenced by our culture (Romans 12:1-2), especially when many “conservative voices” in our culture are at times just as rude and crude as the rest of the world. We live in a society where, while someone might be morally conservative on some issues, at the same time they engage in coarse jesting and filthy talk.

We live in a culture where people have been told that in order to get your point across you have to use some crude language, or, in order to keep your audience interested you have you spice things up.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 03:11 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDGabe
More from same site.
Good to see you reading and learning.

God Bless.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Good to see you reading and learning.
Surely you don't think that site supports the view that crude talk is acceptable?

Quote:
All God's gifts, including sex, are subjects for thanksgiving, rather than for joking. To joke about them is bound to degrade them; to thank God for them is the way to preserve their worth as the blessings of a loving Creator” (Stott pp. 192-193).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 06:14 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Sponsored Links
Advertisement