What would you say? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Mavs Fan For Life!

What would you say?

I dont go to church...I have been before though, just not regularly or consistently.
Seems to me that the whole backbone of religion is having faith...believing in somrething that is not directly proven/disproven by conventional methods.

I have a hard time committing my mind, heart and soul into believing in something that i can not see, touch, smell, or hear for myself.

So how does one person develope faith??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 03:19 PM
98 SVT Cobra

We are all given a measure of faith. We just have to put it to use. When a person is just starting out going to church it is tough to believe everything that is said but the Bible says that a persons faith is built up and grows stronger by hearing the Word of God. The more and more you go to church and hear the Word, the more and more you read the bible and the more you hang with those who are believers the more faith you will have to believe these things. Its not an easy thing to do, it takes commitment but the rewards far out weigh costs.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 02:40 PM
老师

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefehbk
I dont go to church...I have been before though, just not regularly or consistently.
Seems to me that the whole backbone of religion is having faith...believing in somrething that is not directly proven/disproven by conventional methods.

I have a hard time committing my mind, heart and soul into believing in something that i can not see, touch, smell, or hear for myself.

So how does one person develope faith??

I am a non-believer as well, but let's put it this way. This is one of the believers of the Christian faith's main arguments. There are many things you cant see, touch, smell, hear or taste that do exist. Have you ever seen or touched one million dollars? More than likely not, but it does exist. And to go even further, if you have seen one million dollars in one place, how are we supposed to believe that you have? We have to have faith that you are telling the truth and that you would not lie to us. This is the same faith people have placed in Jesus and the Bible for centuries upon centuries.

Neil

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 02:48 PM

I do believe in God and I do pray, God has given me a great life so far and I am very greatful BUT the 2 points that bother me are...

1) Its not God I dislike; its his damn fan club.

2) If God created you and I, then who created God?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 02:57 PM
老师

Quote:
Originally Posted by E V I L
I do believe in God and I do pray, God has given me a great life so far and I am very greatful BUT the 2 points that bother me are...

i agree with both of your points. if i ever do come to the conclusion that God does exist i would STILL hate his "fan club," as you so eloquently put it. and the question of when and where god was created would plague me until the end of time.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 08:01 PM
Time Served

God is the uncreated, eternal, everlasting being. No one created him, as he declares his name in Exodus, "I am who I am" meaning he is "being" and all life has origens in him.

His fan club, persay, is made up of a bunch of sinners, so we have to give them a break. I mean we may be worshipping perfection, but we aren't perfect. At the same time, his "fan club" which i will presume you mean church is a necessity to faith. It is hard to have a father (God) w/o a mother (church). And this is the way God wanted it. The church created a place to worship, grow, find community, and much more- but htat doesn't mean it perfect, or some churches aren't even close.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 09:58 PM
Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by E V I L

God is the creator of all things, including the concept of "creating things."
So to ask, "who created God," would be to limit God by his own creation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement