Religous Education in Public Schools - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
4's a Charm!

Religous Education in Public Schools

I know that it's bad to mix the 2 together, but I think it's important to educate children on all the different religions in the world today. This is not to push them in any specific direction, but rather to educate kids about Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Atheist, Buddhism etc. so that they understand what beliefs each have and how they originated. Because so many wars and genocide were related to religious attitudes, I think the more everyone understands about the history of each would help them make intelligent choices as they grow up. Personally I think this would have helped me more in today's society rather than the 2 years of Tennessee history I had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 10:00 PM
Time Served

It is never "bad" to educate anyone about religion. School is a perfect setting as long as no one agenda is pushed over another.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 12:32 AM
KJ94GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailman
It is never "bad" to educate anyone about religion. School is a perfect setting as long as no one agenda is pushed over another.
But who's going to ensure this doesn't happen? IMO, religion shouldn't be an educational topic in grade school. Maybe touched upon concerning history, but that's about it. I just think it would get a little too hairy making sure no one teacher pushes their agenda.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 07:05 AM
Time Served

I think if they can teach the theory of evolution / the big bang theory, they should cover some of the other theories including the the theory of creation.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 09:26 AM
Time Served

Larius I agree

If you have kids you should be appauled by the crap they teach them at school. Do any of you know a theroy called "Miller Experiment?" This is in all your childrens school books. Let tell you about this, the short version.

Two guys got together and want to disprove creation. So they came up with an experiment to show that you good generate "life" without divine intervention. They came up with this idea that in the begin of time the earth was made up with all these types of gases. They put the same types of gases into a test tube to regenerate the condition of the early eathr then ran an electric shock through it to simulate lighting. In the end they did show that from this ammino acids did start to form almost immeditaley. Ammino acid, which are the builiding block of life, so far from being a cell it is hard to explain without all the science mumbo jumbo. Here is a comparision. It would be like a tornado passing thru a junk yard and by the time it passed thru it left behind a perfectly built 747 with fuel in it all ready to take off.

They got remed on this experiment because the gases they used were not what the early earth was like, basically they choice these gases knowing they could get this reaction. So next they had to repeat the experiment with the proper gases that made up the early earth, so they did. And guess what your childs book says they came up with....."organic material/life" When they repeated the experiement they came up with the chemical compounds that made formaldehyde!!!
And this was and organic compound!!! This is how they explain life to your kids.....even after the experiment has been debuked for 20 yrs it is still in their books!!!

Everyone in here needs to read a book called "The Case for the Creator" by Lee Strobel, covers both side of the story, creatin vs. evolution.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 11:36 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Did their "experiment" explain where these gases and the lightning came from in the first place? I would guess not.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I think if they can teach the theory of evolution / the big bang theory, they should cover some of the other theories including the the theory of creation.
The law already says that they may do that, most people simply don't know that.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 12:17 PM
Time Served

Moondog Rocks

I love you, everytime I see a post you all ways have the perfect response! Well Done!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 08:08 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT93Style
I love you, everytime I see a post you all ways have the perfect response! Well Done!
Why thank you, I really dont even have to try. It just comes naturally.

I mean think about, they claim to have "created" the basic building blocks of life with a few gases and some electricity. But what would be really cool is if they could create their own gases and electricity out of nothing. Now that would be a neat trick. Heck, man has basicly "created" life when he learned how to clone animals. But until man can get his own dirt and stop using Gods then I will always be sceptical.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!

Last edited by MoonDog; 04-23-2005 at 08:15 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 03:41 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog
Did their "experiment" explain where these gases and the lightning came from in the first place? I would guess not.
Where did God come from?

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 08:48 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Where did God come from?
Thats easy, the Godfather.

Disclaimer:
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 11:11 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog
Thats easy, the Godfather.
Don Corleone or Marlon Brando?

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 03:48 PM
IA2

I don't have a problem with it as long as it's taught in a factual & historical way. My 6th grader had to write up something about buddism for her 6th grade social studies class the other night. So, she now knows something new about the world around her and I see that as good. Not from the standpoint that I think she will convert but from the standpoint that as she goes through her life she will not be ignorant of the world around her.

There is a difference between educating and evangelizing in a classroom setting. I don't see teaching about various religions and what they believe and historical events as evangelizing although I understand that some people do.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 06:09 PM
JPS

First of all, my father and father in law are chemical engineers that have taught chemistry in the public schools. I know they would get a kick out of that experiment and go jump on doing it themselves right now because they still find that stuff fun.

Next, where I teach, we have the kids come up and tell us about their "special holiday". No matter what it is. They come dressed in their traditional clothing, and tell us about why they celebrate things like Chanuka, E, Ramadan, Kwanzaa, Christmas (which is not Christianity - but Santa), Diwali, Easter...etc. We even have one child who doesn't celebrate anything (including birthdays) and we learned why. The kids learn to respect, tolerate and accept one another, differences and all. I think school is a perfect setting to teach this.

JPS
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 10:50 AM
I have tasted freedom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ94GT
But who's going to ensure this doesn't happen? IMO, religion shouldn't be an educational topic in grade school. Maybe touched upon concerning history, but that's about it. I just think it would get a little too hairy making sure no one teacher pushes their agenda.
I agree, that's the World Civilizations class is for, if it's offered in public schools. I grew up in the Catholic Schools my whole life and have taken religion classes since I was 2 years old (if you count learning my prayers, etc..) and even now in college. If you offered religion courses in public school, then that would defeat the purpose of private schools. If you want your kids to learn about religion, then send them to private school or sunday school at your local church.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 02:45 PM
老师

The school i went to did not teach or preach to any of these methods of existance. They merely presented them as option of what happened and explained each one separately and un-biased and I would wish that every one of the teachers out there would do so but I know that with free will running around this will never be...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement