Anyone ever forget about church? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Wolverines!!!

Anyone ever forget about church?

I just kind of left my whole church life behind when I graduated highschool. I know God is there, I just can't seem to find the same dedication I ddi when I was younger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 07:56 AM
98 SVT Cobra

I did for a long time after HS when I entered the Corps. It wasn't until after I got out and was married with kids that I decided to go back. That was somewhere around the age of 25-26. I just came to a point where I decided I was gonna grow up and be a man and a father that I needed to be. Haven't regretted it either.

Its hard to keep your faith while in the service. When the guys want to go party all the time what are you supposed to do, just say "No, I wanna read my bible"? In the Corps you wont last long. With all that I never forgot what the truth was nor did I ever back down when someone asked me about God.

There will come a time when you decide to go back. God hasn't forgotten about you and He knows your heart.
Quote:
1Co 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 07:56 AM
African Booty Scratcher

yeah,

i quit going when i moved out of my parents house at age 16. did not go for 12years, unless my mom asked me to go with her on christmas or easter. about 2 years ago i was going though some REALLY hard times. i wont get into it but my cousin and his wife asked me to start going with them. so i did and have been going ever since. dont be dumb like me and wait for the hard times to get you back in there.

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 08:00 AM
4's a Charm!

I think a lot of that happens right after school. There's so much exploring to do, and things to figure out. As soon as we got married we discussed it, and when we had our first child, it brought us back to the church. We want to have faith in our family, but not so much that it pushes the kids away from it once they are old enough to get out on their own. Give it time.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 11:12 AM

Most people fall away until they need God's help. It's when God picks us up and carries us because we couldn't get up again that we finally realize we can't make it on our own. The sad thing is that we waste so much time when we could be shining brightly in this world.

Quote:
We want to have faith in our family, but not so much that it pushes the kids away from it once they are old enough to get out on their own.
It's not the amount of faith that pushes kids away, it's the hypocrisy if there is any. (Yes, we're all hypocrites one way or another) It's the hypocrisy in the church that makes the world despise us. So have faith and pray that they would understand God's truth doesn't depend on your perfection.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 02:08 PM

I havn't forgotten about church, but I do admit that I don't go as much as I should. Believe it or not, I was brought up in church.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 02:32 AM
Loves the Haterz!!

so was i....but i kinda got sidetracked in life and figured church was just to boring for this guy

Wake up and smell the Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
I just crave meat...so any of those places is always good to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Notch View Post
I never got the "talk" from either of my parents
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 11:46 AM

i dont think people forget about church, they just stop going. as you get older, your life gets more complicated. fast pace, work to provide for yourself and or family, seems to take priority for a lot of people. i'd like to beleive that God understands what we go through on an individual level, and knows what each of us needs to survive spiritually. i dont go to church regularly, but do have a personal relationship with God, i think thats all that truely matters.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 05:06 PM
I have tasted freedom!

I don't forget, it's just hard to go when you're going to school full time, balancing full time job and internship, working 10-12 hr shifts on the weekends and trying to study... I know that's never an excuse to miss church but it's hard to balance all of the above and I hate making excuses and I hate hearing people make excuses. But it happens. I've missed church now twice in a row because of work and it makes me feel bad and like I'm totally missing something.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 12:26 PM
DERP DERP DERP

I havent gone in about 8 months, I hate going on sundays, I'm always too tired to wake up at 8 am, I just try to go wednesday nights usually.

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 06:22 PM
98 SVT Cobra

People will always find the time to do the things they want to do. If they dont really want to do something they will always find an excuse not to do it.

Case in point, I was to tired to go to church this past Sunday even though I was up in time. I used the excuse that I went to a concert and did not get in until after 1am. Could I have gone, sure, should I have gone, sure, did I want to, not really.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 08:32 PM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog
People will always find the time to do the things they want to do. If they dont really want to do something they will always find an excuse not to do it.

Case in point, I was to tired to go to church this past Sunday even though I was up in time. I used the excuse that I went to a concert and did not get in until after 1am. Could I have gone, sure, should I have gone, sure, did I want to, not really.
true, but if I dont get enough sleep sunday, Ill want to sleep at work monday. either way it's still not a good excuse, I know. i don't think God cares if you go to church every sunday, doesn't necissarily make you a better christian by going every sunday in my opinion.

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 07:38 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GT50
true, but if I dont get enough sleep sunday, Ill want to sleep at work monday. either way it's still not a good excuse, I know. i don't think God cares if you go to church every sunday, doesn't necissarily make you a better christian by going every sunday in my opinion.
I wasn't coming down on you because of what you said, it just reminded me of what I did this past Sunday. I do believe that it is important for a person to go to church on a regular basis (even thought that may not be every Sunday) just to be able to hear the word and fellowship with other christians. If that means Wednesday or Saturday, God does not care. I will bet you though, that everyone that goes to church is not a christian.

Disclaimer:

Last edited by MoonDog; 03-10-2005 at 07:37 AM.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 06:24 AM

Quote:
This is interesting...a few posts and you already see the attitude of the "American Church". I personally don't see it as an option to skip church. I figure if Christ was tortured and crucified, commanded me to put Him before all, and I call him Lord and Master, then I better be in church. Not a legalistic thing, just something you do in the normal Christian life.

BTW, our silly excuses won't matter much when we stand before God...
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Pilgrim

We go to work 5 days a week and then make up some excuse for not going to church on Sunday, one day of the week. I don't think that any of us are going to say on our deathbeds "wish I could have worked more" but are likely to say "wish I could have gotten to know God better, spent more time with family, etc." Although it is very hard with the distractions in this world, I am going to try to always keep God first.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillystang
Although it is very hard with the distractions in this world, I am going to try to always keep God first.
Be encouraged my fried! With God all things are possible...
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight
We want to have faith in our family, but not so much that it pushes the kids away from it once they are old enough to get out on their own. Give it time.
Prov 22:6

TRAIN up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart!!

This verse isnt a guarantee of course but if you follow GOD's plan in raising your children and being the spiritual head of your family, things will work out as they should.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Rom 12:1, cant quote it verbatim, but the end i .....which is your REASONABLE service.

Later we are told ...not to forsake the assembling of the saint AS IS THE MANNER OF SOME"..

Realize that it isnt what you GET from going, while that can be good its also what you give to other by being there to encourage and uplift them. I think its very important in our society to be edifing to other christians around us!!
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 02:18 PM

I totally agree and BTW, God being in total control, things always work out as they should
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Lifer

I haven't really ever been, when i was real young i went twice a week, but was given the choice at a young age whether i wanted to go or not, and i decided not to go and never really looked back at my decision and thought i should have kept going. I feel if you have a devout faith in god, why do you need to go to church once a week? About 12 i really started thinking about the whole thing and thats when i really became an atheist.

Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLilPony
If you call me, I'll have phone sex with you.
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 11:03 PM
Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue302stang
I haven't really ever been, when i was real young i went twice a week, but was given the choice at a young age whether i wanted to go or not, and i decided not to go and never really looked back at my decision and thought i should have kept going. I feel if you have a devout faith in god, why do you need to go to church once a week? About 12 i really started thinking about the whole thing and thats when i really became an atheist.
God didn't stick us here to be lone ranger believers... not sure about other beliefs but relationships with other believers is a major part of the Christian life...
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 11:28 AM

You don't need church to be Spiritual. If you read the bible carefully it says that the god's of the Bible dislike and do not condone mass worship. It says to pray in private and worship in your own home as you wish. Not in mass. This is why we are so messes up today. Forced views.

You have started to wake up to reality and to what makes logical sense to you.
This is the begining of the first wave of awareness that is to come in the future. Be a good person. That is all that matters!
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 11:32 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Blown98_GT
You don't need church to be Spiritual. If you read the bible carefully it says that the god's of the Bible dislike and do not condone mass worship. It says to pray in private and worship in your own home as you wish. Not in mass. This is why we are so messes up today. Forced views.

This is the begining of the first wave of awareness that is to come in the future. Be a good person. That is all that matters!
Sorry you havent apparently read very much of it, Mass worship is n the bible, and the views arent FORCED, no one is forced, they CHOOSE to believe it just like you choose not too.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Blown98_GT

That won't be all that matters when you stand before God. You are partially right in what you say about Christ coming down on the Pharisees praying in the open/fasting in the open/looking for praise and admiration, but this has nothing to do with church. Christ died for the church, and mass (catholicism) has nothing to do with the church.

Being good ain't good enough partner - you had better meet Jesus Christ, the only way!
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 08:55 PM

Quote:
I feel if you have a devout faith in god, why do you need to go to church once a week?
For the same reason a powerlifter or bodybuilder never stops working out. God doesn't give us a set amount of faith and that's all.

The current form of church is the Roman form and not the Hebrew. The Roman's would meet and one man would lecture. The Jew's would meet and while one would teach it was more of a round table discussion. This practice of meeting and listening to what God told the pastor and going home is pathetic. God speaks to all believers (to those who'll listen) and we can all lift up the church. (Church = body of Christ, all believers) The temple/priests were abolished by Christ's fulfillment of the law and we're all priests! We're told to be prepared in season and out of season to preach the word and give a reason for our faith.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 09:12 PM

The word "church" comes from the greek root "circe" which happens to also be where "circus" came from. The word that they translated as church was actually "ekklesia" which means...

Quote:
ekklēsia; an assembly, a (religious) congregation: - assembly (3), church (74), churches (35), congregation (2).
Here's an article I recently read on the subject.

Quote:
"OUT OF CHURCH" Christians by Andrew Strom
I am writing on a rather unusual topic today. (Recently) I was invited onto a Christian Radio show in New Zealand to discuss the growing numbers of "Out-of- church" Christians in the West - people who have left the churches for various reasons but still claim a strong Christian faith. It was a very interesting night, and the phones ran hot.

This "Out-of-church" phenomenon has now grown so large that books are being written about it. In fact, several years ago I heard an estimate that there are TENS OF THOUSANDS of such Christians just in our largest city (Auckland) alone. And I believe it is the same right across the Western nations. I have personally come into contact with literally hundreds of such people. The surprising thing is that they are often the most committed kind of Christians - praying, insightful, deep- thinking. Yet they have grown tired of "playing the game" inside our church system and have opted out. Often their involvement goes back many years. In fact, they had commonly been leaders of various kinds.

But now they have left. Why? The church obviously finds this a very difficult thing to explain or deal with. The usual accusations are often trotted out: "So-and-so has been hurt and has a root of bitterness". Or they are in "rebellion". Or they are "not a team player". Or they are "backsliding".

But if you talk to these people you will often find that they have been sitting in church for years and years, and they simply cannot stand to sit and watch the same old game being played any more. The LACK OF GOD is what gets to them - even in our most "Spirit-filled" churches. WHERE IS GOD IN ALL OF OUR ACTIVITY? Surely this is not the way it is supposed to be?

New fads and programs come and go, but the mediocrity and LACK OF GOD just seem to go on forever. And so quietly, sometimes without anyone even noticing, they slowly slip out the doors - never to return. Some have even told me that they felt God "calling them out". Others simply felt they couldn't stay there anymore. The state of the church weighed upon them more than words could say.

Very often they did the rounds of other churches, hoping against hope that they would find a place that felt "right" in any way. (though most of them are not "church-hoppers" by nature). But the places they visited never seemed any more "right" than the place they had left. And after a while it just seemed easier to stay at home with God.

As I said earlier, most of these people have not given up on Christianity at all. It is today's church system that they have given up on. And we are talking about large numbers here. Thousands are already opting out. And many feel like they are "waiting" for something.

Some of these people have started up home-fellowships. Or they meet with other couples on a casual basis. But many meet with nobody at all, and they consider themselves in a 'Wilderness' place - alone with God (very common).

I was asked several weeks ago by a pastor whether I agreed that what is happening could be a 'move of God'. That is a pretty radical thought. Many leaders would think the opposite. Because anything that leads people out of "their church" can't be of God, can it?

All I know is this: The concept of going through a 'Wilderness' just before entering the 'Promised Land' is totally Scriptural. In fact, it is right through the Bible. Even Jesus went through such a wilderness time.

Apostasy Alert

Editor; Mike Claydon
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 02:06 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDGabe
The LACK OF GOD is what gets to them - even in our most "Spirit-filled" churches. WHERE IS GOD IN ALL OF OUR ACTIVITY? Surely this is not the way it is supposed to be?
/clap

I've yet to visit any church that I truely feel the presense of God. I've been to many, of various denominations, including non-denominational. None have ever felt right.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 09:13 AM

DarkWolf - why not try my church...

Not the loud, showy type - I believe God is orderly and not interested in the wind up toys many "christians" have become....

We are in Garland, TX - let me know...
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 05:51 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Garland would be a bit of a drive , but maybe one day I'll come check it out. I'll be honest with you though, I've been to all kinds, from flashy to traditional, big and small (smallest had a maximum capacity of about 100 people).

Been to churches in San Antonio, Dallas area, Austin, Waco, New Braunfels, Salt Lake City (yes, Christian, not Mormon ), Rochester, and Harpers Ferry, West Virginia.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Time Served

Dark wolf try out River walk fellowship its located at the corner of denton hwy and glenview rode in haltom city
Sponsored Links
Advertisement