meaning of life - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
351 in the works

meaning of life

two questions for you all.

1. If there is no god can you have an meaningfull life?

2. What is the meaning of life?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 07:05 AM
Out

1. I can't answer, even hypothetically speaking, because it's rediculous.

2. The life, as we know it, is basically a preperation for eternity. Our decisions that we make here and now on earth determine our life after or mortal death, which is going to last a lot longer than our earthly life. The people who know this and take the appropriate actions have no doubt what is in store for them. Since I know my meaning of being here is to find Jesus, accept Him as my Savior, thank Him for His sacrifice, ask Him to enter my heart, acknowledge that I am a sinner, ask for forgiveness, and finallly tell others about what they're supposed to do; I know what lies ahead of me without a doubt.

I am, by far, anywhere from being the "model Christian", but thankfully, that's OK. Unfortunately, God earns His title of "Unconditional Love" because of people like me. Without that, I would be living for nothing.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 10:50 AM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean89

1. Meaningful in the grand scheme of things? Not really, only a few people who impress the masses have such a (good or bad) meaning. It's all relative, however.

Meaningful to myself and the ones close to me? Of course, it's whatever I or they make of it in our own minds.

2. I try to enjoy my time, be a good person in my eyes, and primarily: survive.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 03:53 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
2. I try to enjoy my time, be a good person in my eyes, and primarily: survive.
That can be very dangerous, living like everything is relative. Who ultimately decides what is good and what is bad?

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
351 in the works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
1. I can't answer, even hypothetically speaking, because it's rediculous.

2. The life, as we know it, is basically a preperation for eternity. Our decisions that we make here and now on earth determine our life after or mortal death, which is going to last a lot longer than our earthly life. The people who know this and take the appropriate actions have no doubt what is in store for them. Since I know my meaning of being here is to find Jesus, accept Him as my Savior, thank Him for His sacrifice, ask Him to enter my heart, acknowledge that I am a sinner, ask for forgiveness, and finallly tell others about what they're supposed to do; I know what lies ahead of me without a doubt.

I am, by far, anywhere from being the "model Christian", but thankfully, that's OK. Unfortunately, God earns His title of "Unconditional Love" because of people like me. Without that, I would be living for nothing.
The anwser to one and I would have just failed my philo class. I asked these questions because they are on my final. I believe in god and still can see how if there is no god, one can have an meaningfull life.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 06:10 AM
Saved by Grace

I look at the world and people as in 3 classes.
1] The ones that are spiritually asleep - These are in the majority, can they have a meaningful life? In whose opinion? If it rains on the just and un-just alike the sun also shines on the un-just. So yes, it would appear they have a meaningful life
2] The one that are spiritually awake - The believers, understand that this life is just a small part of a bigger picture and they have a part to play and a job to do.
3] The ones that are enlightened - not only understand the big picture, but have been able to not attach themselves to the material world. If we truly believed we were going to live forever, why are we in such a hurry all the time?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 06:29 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
The anwser to one and I would have just failed my philo class. I asked these questions because they are on my final. I believe in god and still can see how if there is no god, one can have an meaningfull life.
Thats one big reason why I am glad I never took philosophy. It is there for one purpose, to have a person question their beliefs and have them believe that they can make it without God.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 07:59 AM
Time Served

Quote:

I took philosophy and in answering these questions I would go by what the philosophers we studied responded to these questions.

In my own personal life, I believed I had a meaningful life when I was a non-christian. I was married, had 3 children, worked outside the home (and inside the home taking care of my family) and believed my life indeed had meaning. However, since I became a christian and looking back on my life I realized I was existing, not living. Once Jesus became a part of my life, I began to live. I saw who I really was and that I needed to change. I needed to quit using bad language and I needed to set a better example for my children and those around me. I never realized how short life is and that I needed to appreciate every day I had with my loved ones and not take them for granted. Can you do this without believing God, yes, but I honestly believe there is much more meaning as I feel so blessed every day because of what my Savior, Jesus Christ did for me. This cannot be experienced by someone who does not believe in God. There is a peace there that surpasses all understanding and you only have that when you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Questions like these are very difficult to answer - especially if the person asking the question is not a believer. Let me end this by saying that even the demons believe in God (this is scriptural) but it is Jesus that they are afraid of because He has power over everything because of His death and resurrection.

Good luck on your final.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 08:25 AM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog
That can be very dangerous, living like everything is relative. Who ultimately decides what is good and what is bad?
I see what you are saying, but I think it is part of human nature to help ensure survival of the species. A trait developed by most modern species. In that nature, men are inately good. Now things chance with the comforts and assurance of society...but that's a tangent.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 01:02 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog
Thats one big reason why I am glad I never took philosophy. It is there for one purpose, to have a person question their beliefs and have them believe that they can make it without God.
You're right - it is certainly much better to never question anything, to abhor change and learning. Thankfully religion has made it all cut-and-dried, predigested and served up to us in convenient "no thinking required" chunks. Stupid philosophy for causing people to think! (Even if religious topics are only one of many different disciplines covered by philosophical theory - but that's irrelevant of course)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 02:57 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
I see what you are saying, but I think it is part of human nature to help ensure survival of the species. A trait developed by most modern species. In that nature, men are inately good. Now things chance with the comforts and assurance of society...but that's a tangent.
We have had this discussion before, while you believe that men are inately good, I believe the opposite is true, that men are evil by nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhujanga
You're right - it is certainly much better to never question anything, to abhor change and learning. Thankfully religion has made it all cut-and-dried, predigested and served up to us in convenient "no thinking required" chunks. Stupid philosophy for causing people to think! (Even if religious topics are only one of many different disciplines covered by philosophical theory - but that's irrelevant of course)
That is not what I said. Change and knowledge is good. But the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. I would rather be wise then have all the knowledge in the world and not know how to use it.

Disclaimer:
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
351 in the works

lisaz I think I read the same person, was he an athiest at first and changed. I am also glad that I took the class because it taught me to look a little deeper into things. I feel that I was enlightended by taking the class. I would have to say that it made my faith stronger, However, I can see how it would cause the oppisite effect on people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement