what is mormon? - DFWstangs Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 138
what is mormon?

just want some feedback. oh and be brief...
Runstang22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 05:38 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
 
01WhiteCobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Where's my beer?
Posts: 21,924
http://www.mormon.org/learn/0,8672,1598-1,00.html

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
01WhiteCobra is offline  
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 05:40 PM
I love Meat.
 
Undertaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,008
I had a friend in high school that was mormon- he couldn't drink caffeine, I dont know why

2004 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
This is exactly why if I ever have a daughter, I'm going to teach her to swallow early on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Undietaker is my hero.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Undertaker is offline  
 
post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 02:21 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS
 
Geor!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HERE WE GO!!!
Posts: 18,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
I had a friend in high school that was mormon- he couldn't drink caffeine, I dont know why

Don't think Mormons can injest any drugs.
Geor! is offline  
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Small Fry
 
breadfan35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The Keebler Tree
Posts: 10,287
They believe that any person if they are righteous enough can become a god. But you won't see that on the list in there website.
breadfan35 is offline  
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 03:49 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadfan35
They believe that any person if they are righteous enough can become a god. But you won't see that on the list in there website.
You are wrong. I'm a memer of that church and we don't belive that.

We don't drink caffeine because its not goog for your body (drugs) are not good for your body, we belive that god let us borrow our bodys and we think we should take care of them and not abuse it.
Smokin'Performance is offline  
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 03:59 PM
you cant see me
 
Futurama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: pantherville
Posts: 15,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin'Performance
You are wrong. I'm a memer of that church and we don't belive that.

We don't drink caffeine because its not goog for your body (drugs) are not good for your body, we belive that god let us borrow our bodys and we think we should take care of them and not abuse it.
borrow? lol what does he do with it when you are done with it, feed the worms?
Futurama is offline  
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 04:03 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 362
What he does with it after you die doesn't really mater at least you took care of it. After we die our spirit leves the body.
Smokin'Performance is offline  
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 05:26 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 874
In a word, mormons = firewood.
Onelasttryltj is offline  
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 07:17 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS
 
Geor!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HERE WE GO!!!
Posts: 18,685
That was wrong.
Geor! is offline  
post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 08:08 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 256
Don't forget the holy underwear.
JKDGabe is offline  
post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Lifer
 
joezgarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: somewhere between Dallas & Ft Worth
Posts: 2,223
Southpark did a great episode on Mormons and Joseph Smith...anyone catch that one?
joezgarage is offline  
post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 09:00 PM
3rd shift sloucher
 
RiSk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: some where between texas and mexico
Posts: 1,612
are you allowed to eat casadillas?

: () { : | : & } ; : = <3
RiSk is offline  
post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 06:46 AM
98 SVT Cobra
 
MoonDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Central IL
Posts: 5,109
You guys are wrong for making fun of him the way you are, regardless of what he believes.

There is good and bad with the Mormon church, just like there is good and bad with the Christian church.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
MoonDog is offline  
post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 07:15 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 256
Don't take my remark personally. I don't believe that underwear or clothing of any kind is holy. Makes me think of what Jesus said to the Pharisee's. "You are nullifying the power of God with the traditions of men."

It's human nature to follow set patterns but that won't make us righteous.
JKDGabe is offline  
post #16 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 08:26 AM
you cant see me
 
Futurama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: pantherville
Posts: 15,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog
You guys are wrong for making fun of him the way you are, regardless of what he believes.

There is good and bad with the Mormon church, just like there is good and bad with the Christian church.
unlike most in this thread, i wasnt making fun of him, i really was curious on what mormons believe on this subject.
Futurama is offline  
post #17 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 09:15 AM
Lifer
 
5111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
I had a friend in high school that was mormon- he couldn't drink caffeine, I dont know why
Mormons CAN drink caffeine, it is just not recommended. The cannot drink coffee, tea, or alcohol and cannot take illegal drugs or use tobacco. It is actually just common sense. They believe that you should not do things that will damage the body that God gave you. Your body is NOT on loan, you will still have it after you are dead and have been resurrected.

Mormons ARE Christian (they believe in Jesus Christ). They believe that the "true" church was lost to the earth through an "apostosy" and that it was restored through Joseph Smith. They believe in modern day prophets like Moses (Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, etc). They do NOT believe in polygamy.

On of the biggest differences between the Morman church and most other Christian churches is The Book of Mormon. Mormons DO believe in the Bible, but they also believe in The Book of Mormon. They believe that it is a record similar to the Bible, but from the Native Americans.
5111 is offline  
post #18 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 10:27 AM
98 SVT Cobra
 
MoonDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Central IL
Posts: 5,109
Yes, but do they not also believe that if the Book of Mormon contradicts the Bible then the the Book of Mormon is to be believed over the Bible?

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
MoonDog is offline  
post #19 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 10:59 AM
Lifer
 
5111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog
Yes, but do they not also believe that if the Book of Mormon contradicts the Bible then the the Book of Mormon is to be believed over the Bible?
Yes, but it rarely happens. The Bible has been translated many times. It was often changed to reflect political opinions. According to the Mormons the Book of Mormon was only translated once and is therefore MORE correct.

If you have ever translated anything then you know how much is easily lost with each translation.

Mormons don't usually use the Book of Mormon to contradict the Bible, they use it to clarify issues in the Bible that are unclear.
5111 is offline  
post #20 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 03:16 PM
Small Fry
 
breadfan35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The Keebler Tree
Posts: 10,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin'Performance
You are wrong. I'm a memer of that church and we don't belive that.
How long have you been a member? I don't want to seem as thought I'm bashing you or anything like that. If what I said is untrue then I'm sorry. I don't want to be spreading falsehoods. However I was told that (not word for word each time) by more then one person, none of whom knew each other (that I know of anyways) and at different points in my life. A few had left the Morman Church and the others had not.
breadfan35 is offline  
post #21 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 03:58 PM
98 SVT Cobra
 
MoonDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Central IL
Posts: 5,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5111
Yes, but it rarely happens. The Bible has been translated many times. It was often changed to reflect political opinions. According to the Mormons the Book of Mormon was only translated once and is therefore MORE correct.

If you have ever translated anything then you know how much is easily lost with each translation.

Mormons don't usually use the Book of Mormon to contradict the Bible, they use it to clarify issues in the Bible that are unclear.
And this is probably my major problem with the Mormon church. I believe the bible to be infallible. Regardless of all the translations, the bible is without error and is the true Word of God, anything contrary is a lie. I dont put any kind of condemnation on anyone that happens to be Mormon, I just have problems with some of their teachings.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
MoonDog is offline  
post #22 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 04:02 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 256
Quote:
They do NOT believe in polygamy.
I have met many mormons and some do believe in polygamy.

It used to be an official position of the mormon church, what happened to change that?
JKDGabe is offline  
post #23 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 06:48 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.
 
SVTVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The 40 Acres
Posts: 12,385
You ask 10 different Mormons the same question and you get 10 different answers. Not one Mormon I've ever met in my life had the same beliefs.

Take one good historical look at Joseph Smith and you'll see this guy was nothing more than a drunkard and a liar.

I guess the Mormons failed to look into one of the prophets in the OT, Malachi.

Malachi 3:6

"I the Lord do not change. So you, O descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed."

If God does not change his ways then why is the book of Mormon even needed? No addition should be needed if nothing changes.

Its all man made religion dressed up real pretty in secrecy and ritual. Nothing more than a giant glamorized secret society full of whack jobs from top to bottom.

Hey Mormons, why don't you tell us about planet Kolob and the star god/goddess we came from and how when we die we are supposed to have endless celestrial sex with all these star gods/goddesses? Oh, you don't believe that? You might want to check out your Mormon Bible/BYU material a little closer then.
SVTVenom is offline  
post #24 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 06:55 PM
NES Crew
 
kangol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: I love Texas, and I don't drive a Lexus.
Posts: 4,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDGabe
I have met many mormons and some do believe in polygamy.

It used to be an official position of the mormon church, what happened to change that?
I recently viewed a documentary about Mormons in academia. It is a truism that in this movie the featured co-eds were certainly practicing to become polygamists, but based on my perception they had no official position. Donít go off my observation, you can watch "Bring Em Young 17" and reach your own conclusions.
kangol is offline  
post #25 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 11:22 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayasuma
That was wrong.
I was only stating facts.
Onelasttryltj is offline  
post #26 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 02:09 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
You ask 10 different Mormons the same question and you get 10 different answers. Not one Mormon I've ever met in my life had the same beliefs.

Take one good historical look at Joseph Smith and you'll see this guy was nothing more than a drunkard and a liar.

I guess the Mormons failed to look into one of the prophets in the OT, Malachi.

Malachi 3:6

"I the Lord do not change. So you, O descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed."

If God does not change his ways then why is the book of Mormon even needed? No addition should be needed if nothing changes.

Its all man made religion dressed up real pretty in secrecy and ritual. Nothing more than a giant glamorized secret society full of whack jobs from top to bottom.

Hey Mormons, why don't you tell us about planet Kolob and the star god/goddess we came from and how when we die we are supposed to have endless celestrial sex with all these star gods/goddesses? Oh, you don't believe that? You might want to check out your Mormon Bible/BYU material a little closer then.
To respond to your eloquent diatribe:

I) It's called free agency, and is a free gift from God - we all have opinions, like
assholes...

II) Joseph Smith was merely a man, with all the faults/frailities of a man - deal with it. Even Moses tried to beg off when the Lord commanded him to lead the captives out of Egypt......I'm not worthy and I imagine you might find yourself wanting when faced with such a responsibility.

III) The Book of Mormon is a companion to the works of the ancient prophets recorded in the Bible. It is an account of the "indian" peoples that lived in the Americas; the visitation of Jesus Christ on this continent and so forth - called the Book of Mormon after the prophet Mormon. He edited the records and compiled the book. The name of our church is "the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints", commonly called the Mormon church.

IV) Now you are describing all other churches I attended throughout my life. The beliefs and wisdom of men, mingled with scripture.

V) I can tell you that Kolob is a place where Christ lives with our Heavenly Father, and an infinitely better place than this world. These things are not mentioned in the B of M, whatever source you are using might be less than perfect in it's replication of what is and what is not. Truth is like a candle set upon a hill - let he who has eyes, see.

There is a difference between things that are secret and things that are sacred. Solomon built a sacred temple - only the worthy could enter. Would you really want it any other way?

If you have any real questions, ask a Mormon missionary, they will be glad to enlighten...
"...from the mouths of babes shall the wise be confounded..."
wilecoyote is offline  
post #27 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 02:51 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 256
I asked a real question.
JKDGabe is offline  
post #28 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Lifer
 
joezgarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: somewhere between Dallas & Ft Worth
Posts: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilecoyote
V) I can tell you that Kolob is a place where Christ lives with our Heavenly Father
WTF? OK that's a new one to me....
joezgarage is offline  
post #29 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 04:01 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.
 
SVTVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The 40 Acres
Posts: 12,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilecoyote
To respond to your eloquent diatribe:

I) It's called free agency, and is a free gift from God - we all have opinions, like
assholes...

II) Joseph Smith was merely a man, with all the faults/frailities of a man - deal with it. Even Moses tried to beg off when the Lord commanded him to lead the captives out of Egypt......I'm not worthy and I imagine you might find yourself wanting when faced with such a responsibility.

III) The Book of Mormon is a companion to the works of the ancient prophets recorded in the Bible. It is an account of the "indian" peoples that lived in the Americas; the visitation of Jesus Christ on this continent and so forth - called the Book of Mormon after the prophet Mormon. He edited the records and compiled the book. The name of our church is "the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints", commonly called the Mormon church.

IV) Now you are describing all other churches I attended throughout my life. The beliefs and wisdom of men, mingled with scripture.

V) I can tell you that Kolob is a place where Christ lives with our Heavenly Father, and an infinitely better place than this world. These things are not mentioned in the B of M, whatever source you are using might be less than perfect in it's replication of what is and what is not. Truth is like a candle set upon a hill - let he who has eyes, see.

There is a difference between things that are secret and things that are sacred. Solomon built a sacred temple - only the worthy could enter. Would you really want it any other way?

If you have any real questions, ask a Mormon missionary, they will be glad to enlighten...
"...from the mouths of babes shall the wise be confounded..."
Right, so where is planet Kolob mentioned in the Bible?

You people are so screwed up in the head its not even funny. At least you owned up to believing in "planet Kolob." I've had some of your buddies not even want to discuss it or they say that they don't believe in that.

I've got a news flash for you too. Once Jesus ascended to Heaven after he arose from death.........he never came back and hasn't. The only time you will ever see him again is when he comes back for judgement.

I guess Joseph Smith learned lots of things while toking on the peace pipe with the Indians.

The true Bible needs no companion at all. The book of Mormon is nothing but a total contradiction to everything the Bible says. I guess that passage about adding to or taking away from the scriptures is only in my Bible and nowhere else.

Whenever your god comes and speaks to the folks there in Utah, let me know cause I'd love to ask him some questions.
SVTVenom is offline  
post #30 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin'Performance
What he does with it after you die doesn't really mater at least you took care of it. After we die our spirit leves the body.
WTF.....Ur mormon??? So then if "your" spirit leaves your body.......where the hell does it go? Where does mine go? Also in the above post you mentioned you don't abuse your body...then why do u Whack it? LOL! and as for answering what is mormon.......ITS HAVING MULTIPLE WIVES
JTrevino2003 is offline  
post #31 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 04:14 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.
 
SVTVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The 40 Acres
Posts: 12,385
Here is some interesting reading:

http://www.irr.org/mit/masonry.html
SVTVenom is offline  
post #32 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 05:14 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.
 
SVTVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The 40 Acres
Posts: 12,385
LOL! Here is some more interesting reading for you guys:

http://www.contenderministries.org/m...lseprophet.php

http://www.probe.org/docs/mormon2.html

If you want to follow someone who came up with this stuff through a "seer stone" then go right ahead. Nothing more than a giant hoax for money and spectacle.

Notice how Jospeh Smith has had prophecies fail? Not one TRUE prophet in the Bible had a prophecy fail. That alone should tell you this guy is a whack job.
SVTVenom is offline  
post #33 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 07:03 PM
gear jammer
 
bucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: out west
Posts: 2,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
Right, so where is planet Kolob mentioned in the Bible?


Whenever your god comes and speaks to the folks there in Utah, let me know cause I'd love to ask him some questions.
<----------- Not everyone in Utah is Morman

Live..ride..dream


1998 Suzuki TL1000
1983 HD FXSB
bucky is offline  
post #34 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 09:17 PM
98 SVT Cobra
 
MoonDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Central IL
Posts: 5,109
I'm sorry, some of you guys are being to harsh.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
MoonDog is offline  
post #35 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 09:34 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog
I'm sorry, some of you guys are being to harsh.
Couldn't agree with you more...
four5.0snomore is offline  
post #36 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 10:19 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.
 
SVTVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The 40 Acres
Posts: 12,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog
I'm sorry, some of you guys are being to harsh.
Harsh or reality? I simply stated the truth that is historically known and publicised. How is that harsh?

What is harsh to me is that they force all this ceremonial crap on people and make up heirarchys in religion to boost a select few people. I don't care what religion you believe in, thats wrong. The same goes for Islams treatment of women as property and keeping them in ignorance.
SVTVenom is offline  
post #37 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 02:36 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 874
Lucifer has a specific ash tray set aside for mormons.
Onelasttryltj is offline  
post #38 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 05:39 AM
98 SVT Cobra
 
MoonDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Central IL
Posts: 5,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
Harsh or reality? I simply stated the truth that is historically known and publicised. How is that harsh?

What is harsh to me is that they force all this ceremonial crap on people and make up heirarchys in religion to boost a select few people. I don't care what religion you believe in, thats wrong. The same goes for Islams treatment of women as property and keeping them in ignorance.
I am not saying that I agree or accept the Mormon religion. What I am saying is that there are some people who are being very disrespectful in their posts. If you want to post up truth then do it, but leave the personal attacks out of here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onelasttryltj
Lucifer has a specific ash tray set aside for mormons.
This is the kind of stuff I am talking about.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
MoonDog is offline  
post #39 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 07:28 AM
Lifer
 
5111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
I guess that passage about adding to or taking away from the scriptures is only in my Bible and nowhere else.
That passage was actually written before many other parts of the New Testament. The books in the Bible are not in chronological order.

Also, what about the similar passage in Deuteronomy? Does that mean that all of the New Testament is false?
5111 is offline  
post #40 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 09:04 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 256
I guess nobody is gonna answer my question...

Quote:
I have met many mormons and some do believe in polygamy. It used to be an official church position, what happened to change that?
JKDGabe is offline  
post #41 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 10:05 AM
Lifer
 
5111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDGabe
I have met many mormons and some do believe in polygamy.

It used to be an official position of the mormon church, what happened to change that?
The Mormon church's official stand on polygamy is that it is no longer acceptable. Just as it was necessary in the times of ancient Egypt, Mormons felt that it was necessary when they first arrived in Utah. Many of the husbands and fathers died on the trek out to Utah. Polygamy was re-instituted to help care for the widows and fatherless children. It also help to re-populate the community.

Eventually those problems were resolved and the Church prohibited it. Any Mormon that tells you that polygamy is currently accepted is wrong. The Mormons will excommunicate anyone that currently practices polygamy.

Also, it was not as simple as just deciding to shack up with another woman. You had to get permission from Brigham Young to marry another woman. It was strictly regulated.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT #5111 367.6rwhp/378.4rwtq
2004 Black Lightning #789 STOCK: 363.1rwhp/444.8rwtq
5111 is offline  
post #42 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 04:33 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 256
Quote:
Just as it was necessary in the times of ancient Egypt, Mormons felt that it was necessary when they first arrived in Utah.
A: I'm not convinced it was "necessary" in ancient Egypt. Biblically it's not condemned... but to be an elder/pastor/deacon (leading role in the church) it was not permitted. With that said, how could the Mormon leaders of the times have multiple wives?

B: As I recall, Young had multiple wives BEFORE going to Utah.

C: Did they have to ask his permission to marry their first wife?
JKDGabe is offline  
post #43 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 04:47 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 256
Here's a heretical quote from BY found on this page.

Quote:
"It is true that the blood of the Son of God was shed for sins through the fall and those committed by men, yet men can commit sins which it can never remit. As it was in ancient days, so it is in our day;...There are sins that can be atoned for...by the blood of the man.
Here's one on why they had more than one wife. (Same site)

Quote:
"This is the reason why the doctrine of plurality of wives was revealed, that the noble spirits which are waiting for tabernacles might be brought forth. ...
Joseph Smith shared the "divinely revealed" doctrine of polygamy in 1841. It was in 1848 that they trekked to Utah.
JKDGabe is offline  
post #44 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 12:07 AM
98 SVT Cobra
 
MoonDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Central IL
Posts: 5,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
I guess that passage about adding to or taking away from the scriptures is only in my Bible and nowhere else.
This passage,

"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book."

Is written about the book of Revelation, not about the Bible. Notice it says "written in this book" and "book of this prophecy". There was no "Bible" until long after Revelation was written.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
MoonDog is offline  
post #45 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 12:54 AM
Hustlin'
 
ScottJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Unknown
Posts: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Kinda turned off from that picture of suggestive homo oral sex!

"Jesus has my heart, but Whiskey has my liver" --Jason Boland
ScottJ is offline  
post #46 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 12:57 AM
Hustlin'
 
ScottJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Unknown
Posts: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin'Performance
You are wrong. I'm a memer of that church and we don't belive that.

We don't drink caffeine because its not goog for your body (drugs) are not good for your body, we belive that god let us borrow our bodys and we think we should take care of them and not abuse it.
So I suppose you wouldn't be down for some tylonol, or maybe some medication if you were diying of a terminal illness?

"Jesus has my heart, but Whiskey has my liver" --Jason Boland
ScottJ is offline  
post #47 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net
 
lowthreeohz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Hurst-Useless-Bedford area
Posts: 20,572
I lived in Ogden for 3 years.

the LDS church has some weird, WEIRD ways. But to each their own.

and [email protected] Smokin' Perf.. you do realize that the mormon church owns a large portion of coca cola, right?
lowthreeohz is offline  
post #48 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Ultimate X-phoria
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Not now chief, i'm in the fuckin zone
Posts: 19,895
*chuckle* Just when you think there's a limit to what you can make a person believe....you learn about the Mormon religion.
Hollywood is offline  
post #49 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 05:33 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
*chuckle* Just when you think there's a limit to what you can make a person believe....you learn about the Mormon religion.
Yep. Makes me laugh every time. There's going to be a nice bonfire in hell.
Onelasttryltj is offline  
post #50 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 05:35 PM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net
 
lowthreeohz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Hurst-Useless-Bedford area
Posts: 20,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onelasttryltj
Yep. Makes me laugh every time. There's going to be a nice bonfire in hell.
If you're mor(m)on, it's the outter darkness.
lowthreeohz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome