Islam and Christianity - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Islam and Christianity

Hello, My name is Wasim. This is my 2nd or 3rd time posting in the theology forum. I usually frequent the for sale/parts section, but found this forum very interesting. So I thought I'd start contributing.

A lot of people seem to mis-understand the religion of Islam. My religion. The things you may hear about Islam are usually pure ignorance and/or biased. What most people dont know, is how similar Christianty and Islam are. There are a few small details that tend to make very large differences. Heres a cool link, that I found that shows the similarities. Im sure some of you will find it quite shocking.

Basic Belief's of Christians and Muslims
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 01:29 AM
Out

http://www.answering-islam.org/

http://www.religioustolerance.org/comp_isl_chr.htm

I don't claim any denomination of Christianity. I am a follower of Christ and I do believe that the only way to Heaven is through Him. He came to Earth in human form to give us the New Covenant because we would all be destined for eternal death without it. His covenant consists of believing in Him as our Savior, acknowledging our sins and being truely sorry for them, and asking for forgiveness.

What really gets me is that Muslims and Christians came from the same roots. We both worship the God of Abraham, Issac, etc. and yet, because of our differences, neither believe that the other will be in Heaven.
post #3 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
http://www.answering-islam.org/

http://www.religioustolerance.org/comp_isl_chr.htm

I don't claim any denomination of Christianity. I am a follower of Christ and I do believe that the only way to Heaven is through Him. He came to Earth in human form to give us the New Covenant because we would all be destined for eternal death without it. His covenant consists of believing in Him as our Savior, acknowledging our sins and being truely sorry for them, and asking for forgiveness.

What really gets me is that Muslims and Christians came from the same roots. We both worship the God of Abraham, Issac, etc. and yet, because of our differences, neither believe that the other will be in Heaven.
Wow, cool websites. And I agree with you. One thing I'd like to point out is that we believe tat Christians are misguided. I do not remember the verse, but it goes something like... "and only through me, jesus christ, will you go to heaven." As a muslim, thats is interpretated as "through me, through what I teach from God," not directly through jesus.. See my point? And another major point is, jesus worshipped God/Allah/Yaweh (all the same), so why wouldnt you worship who jesus worshipped? But then trinity comes into play.

post #4 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 07:29 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasim05
Wow, cool websites. And I agree with you. One thing I'd like to point out is that we believe tat Christians are misguided. I do not remember the verse, but it goes something like... "and only through me, jesus christ, will you go to heaven." As a muslim, thats is interpretated as "through me, through what I teach from God," not directly through jesus.. See my point? And another major point is, jesus worshipped God/Allah/Yaweh (all the same), so why wouldnt you worship who jesus worshipped? But then trinity comes into play.
Yes. He worshiped God to teach by example just as He taught us how to pray and live our lives. And yes, I believe that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are three in one.

Just like any religion, Christianity has been distorted and views bent to accommodate people. That is why I am not set to any denomination. I believe what I stated in the above post and that the best way to learn and worship Him is to read the Bible and live the way He wants you to live according to His Word.

I can see where you're coming from, though. And I can see how it could be interpreted the way you say. But if Jesus isn't the New Covenant, we're all doomed. According to the Old Testament, explain how to get to Heaven.
post #5 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 09:01 AM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

post #6 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 09:14 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Wasim, can you tell me how true these statements are?
Quote:
According to the Encyclopedia of Religion, Allah corresponded to the Babylonian god Baal, and Arabs knew of him long before Mohammed worshipped him as the supreme God. Before Islam the Arabs recognized many gods and goddesses, each tribe had their own deity. There were also nature deities. Allah was the god of the local Quarish tribe, which was Mohammed's tribe before he invented Islam to lead his people out of their polytheism. Allah was then known as the Moon God, who had 3 daughters who were viewed as intercessors for the people into Allah. Their names were Al-at, Al-uzza, and Al-Manat, which were three goddesses; the first two daughters of Allah had names which were feminine forms of Allah. Hubal was the chief God of the Kaaba among the other 360 deities. Hubal was the chief God of the Kaaba among the other 360 deities. Hubal was a statue likeness of a man whose body was made of red precious stones whose arms were made of gold.

Historians like Vaqqidi have said Allah was actually the chief of the 360 gods being worshipped in Arabia at the time Mohammed rose to prominence. Ibn Al-Kalbi gave 27 names of pre-Islamic deities...Interestingly, not many Muslims want to accept that Allah was already being worshipped at the Ka'ba in Mecca by Arab pagans before Mohammed came. Some Muslims become angry when they are confronted with this fact. But history is not on their side. Pre-Islamic literature has proved this.

History has shown Mecca and the holy stone al-Kaaba were holy sites for pre-Islamic pagan Arabs. The Kaaba in Mecca was formerly named Beit-Allah meaning House of Allah.

The Koran tells us that Mohammed drove the other idols away; he made one God now the only god and he was its messenger. He kept the Kaaba as a holy, sacred place and confirmed that the black stone had the power to take away man's sins. He obligated every believer to make a pilgrimage to the stone at least once in his lifetime.
Also, if YHWH and Allah are one in the same then how could this be?
Quote:
Allah commands the Muslim to not take the Jews or Christians as friends, Sura. 5:51 disdains the Jews. Mohammed said, “The last hour will not come before the Muslims fight the Jews, and the Muslims kill them.” (Mishkat Al Masabih Sh.M. Ashraf pp.147, 721, 810-11, 1130).
Sounds like there is some confusion here. The bible states that YHWH is the God of the Jews.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #7 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 09:33 AM
Small Fry

Hello Wasim. I don't have the time right now, but I look forward to the discussions we'll all have in the future.
post #8 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Moondog, some of what you posted is true, and some not. I will get into more detail later. It's almost 2:00am here and im tired. Cant think straight. lol, but I will try to get to it tomorrow.

Breadfan35, As will I. I believe its good to learn about religion. As I said in another post, Half of my family is Catholic and Half is Muslim, so Im pretty knowledgeable both ways, and see both points of view. But I am, of course, a bit biased towards my own religion. As is anyone.
post #9 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 02:30 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

The battle of Mythology begins!!
post #10 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 06:36 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Moondog, some of what you posted is true, and some not. I will get into more detail later. It's almost 2:00am here and im tired. Cant think straight. lol, but I will try to get to it tomorrow.
Its cool, I would just like to know what it true and what is not. You cant always believe everything you read on the internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
The battle of Mythology begins!!
Oh, shuddup!

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #11 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 10:09 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog
Oh, shuddup!

post #12 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 03:59 PM
Lifer

Quote:
What most people dont know, is how similar Christianty and Islam are. There are a few small details that tend to make very large differences.[/URL]
Yes, in the same way that a can of blue paint makes a car blue and a can of red paint makes a car red.
post #13 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 01:38 PM
you wanna run?

The basic difference is that a man(Jesus) died for my sins, took them on the cross and died. Then (this is KEY) rose from the grave, and lived on for 80 more days. Then ascanended to heaven.

Now I don't care what religion you are Jesus is the ONLY man to defeat death. Not Budda, not Mohamad, not anybody.

Yes the fundamentals are the same for almost all religions. i.e. all religions follow some sort of there own 10 commandments. But there are deal breakers.

Formerly on the Submarine USS Maryland SSBN 738G
post #14 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Any man is able to do anything, even the impossible (even live after 'death') so long as it is willed by God.
post #15 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 02:43 AM
TWIN SPINNER

Quote:

Thanks for coming in Wasim. I hope we can ALL keep this civil and possibly learn something here.

In John 10:30 Jesus plainly states the He and His Father are one. I see no other interpretation other than a claim to diety here.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
post #16 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 12:34 AM
Foxbody King

how many wars have been fought over religon its all B.S

2003 cobra DSG
post #17 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 08:29 AM
TWIN SPINNER

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy
how many wars have been fought over religon its all B.S
I can't speak for any other faith but as far as Christianity goes I can't think of any. Can you?

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
post #18 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 09:20 PM
Time Served

Wasim, what happens if I don't make the journey to Mecca and I don't pray 5 times a day?
post #19 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
I can't speak for any other faith but as far as Christianity goes I can't think of any. Can you?
some can say the war we are fighting today can be pointed toward christianity vs. islam faith
post #20 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 11:30 PM
TWIN SPINNER

I see what you are getting at but I think it would be more acurately stated, Islam vs. Christianity.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
post #21 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 12:32 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurston
some can say the war we are fighting today can be pointed toward christianity vs. islam faith
I say it's a bunch of terrorists that are just using a religion as an excuse to act like fools and kill anyone they want. It also sickens me to see them use a mosque as a shelter. I see myself following an insurgent into a mosque, pulling him out, and beating the piss out of him without regard for what anyone thinks. If worse comes to worse, blow it up. I wouldn't hesitate to blow a church up if there were people in there who killed others and will kill again and the only way to get them is destoy what they use as shelter. You better believe I'll be out there next week helping to rebuild it just the way, if not better than it was before.
post #22 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 02:46 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
You are kidding, right?

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #23 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 03:03 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
You are kidding, right?
I seriously hope so

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #24 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 10:09 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Well I will just go ahead and say it. The Crusades were fought because Christian radicals wanted to force people into believing as they did. Much like the Islamic rebels, killing those who disagree with them and their beliefs.

Disclaimer:
post #25 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 10:49 PM
Out

Quote:
You are kidding, right?
Most, if not all of those "Christians" from the Crusades never even read a Bible... and that's a fact! Back then, there was 1 Bible for every 100,000 Christians. Most of the time a high ranking priest would read it to other priests and then those priests would give their interpretation to other priests and their congregation, etc. Like Moondog said, though, I don't consider today's radicals Muslims as the radicals back then weren't Christians.

If I claim to be from Mars and start killing people, are you gonna be pissed at Martians?
post #26 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 05:16 AM
TWIN SPINNER

Quote:
You are kidding, right?
Nope.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
post #27 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 06:09 AM
TWIN SPINNER

Quote:
Well I will just go ahead and say it. The Crusades were fought because Christian radicals wanted to force people into believing as they did. Much like the Islamic rebels, killing those who disagree with them and their beliefs.
Not exactly the whole truth.

True, the wars were fought under a Christian banner but that is about as close to Christianity as they come. There are larger motivations that are overlooked about the campaigns. The protection of the Byzantine Empire was a big one. The reopening of trade routes to the Far East, along with the oppurtunity for open trade while traveling along campaign routes. Serfs, the lowest peoples in the feudel class, used the Crusades as an escape from the hardships of their labors. The battle for wealth, land and adventure was possible the most profound reason for the Kings and knights that fought for Palestine. Do some research on Richard the Lion Heart.

Were there people that fought for Jerusalem who thought it the divine will of God. Sure, but I like Denny would suggest, that these were people manipulated by the corrupt Catholic church of the time.

These wars were fought under the name of Christianity. But for the greater part of it, Christianity was merely a facade.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
post #28 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 01:27 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Most, if not all of those "Christians" from the Crusades never even read a Bible... and that's a fact! Back then, there was 1 Bible for every 100,000 Christians. Most of the time a high ranking priest would read it to other priests and then those priests would give their interpretation to other priests and their congregation, etc. Like Moondog said, though, I don't consider today's radicals Muslims as the radicals back then weren't Christians.

If I claim to be from Mars and start killing people, are you gonna be pissed at Martians?
There was quite the bloody time in Europe of over 100 years between bible schooled Catholics and the bible schooled Protestants (I'll forget the crusades for a moment)

Ah, I guess we'll just forget about Martin Luther or...

The First Christian War 1524-1525
The Second Christian War 1546-1555
The Third Christian War 1529-1531
The Forth Christian War 1562-1598
Or the thousands of Hugenots that were massacred in 1572
The Reformation in Netherlands
The Fifth Christian War 1560-1567 (Scotland)
The Reformation In England
The Sixth Christian War 1618-1648 (also know as the Thirty Year War)

Christians fought between themselves for over 150 years. They had quite the masacare going own. And it certainly eclipsed (so far) anything that is going on these days.

Spin it anyone you want, Christians were marking the lands in Europe with the ripe red color of blood for over a century. Taking out 1/3 of the European population.

Last edited by 01WhiteCobra; 11-15-2004 at 01:41 PM.
post #29 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 02:00 PM
Worship me

God didn't speak clearly to us then but he speaks clearly to us now....
post #30 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 01:03 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:

... this doesn't excuse the fact that the Crusades were fought in the name of Christianity. They were sponsored by the church in large part for the sake of converting or wiping out non-Christians. If that's not "fighting a war in the name of Christianity", then I don't know what is.

DarkWolf
post #31 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 07:39 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
... this doesn't excuse the fact that the Crusades were fought in the name of Christianity. They were sponsored by the church in large part for the sake of converting or wiping out non-Christians. If that's not "fighting a war in the name of Christianity", then I don't know what is.
That's bullshit since they didn't really know what Christianity was. Like I said earlier... just an excuse.
post #32 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 03:50 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

But it's not bullshit, because it was still a war under the Christian banner... whether the people were aware or not. Christian's love to argue that ignorance isn't an excuse ... so why make the exception for it now?

DarkWolf
post #33 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 03:57 PM
TWIN SPINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
But it's not bullshit, because it was still a war under the Christian banner... whether the people were aware or not. Christian's love to argue that ignorance isn't an excuse ... so why make the exception for it now?
No doubt there were wars fought under the guise of Christianity. What he is arguing that those who fought in the wars had little understand of why they were fighting.

We argue that ignorance isn't an excuse for what?

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
post #34 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 06:34 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
No doubt there were wars fought under the guise of Christianity. What he is arguing that those who fought in the wars had little understand of why they were fighting.

We argue that ignorance isn't an excuse for what?
Again I point you to the age of reformation, where people from both sides were schooled in Christianity. They just came out with different ideas on it.

Wiped out a 1/3 of the European population. Christian vs. Christian.

post #35 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 11:46 AM
Hero in a half shell

Allah, the pagan Moon God

The Archeology of The Middle East

The religion of Islam has as its focus of worship a deity by the name of "Allah." The Muslims claim that Allah in pre-Islamic times was the biblical God of the Patriarchs, prophets, and apostles. The issue is thus one of continuity. Was "Allah" the biblical God or a pagan god in Arabia during pre-Islamic times? The Muslim's claim of continuity is essential to their attempt to convert Jews and Christians for if "Allah" is part of the flow of divine revelation in Scripture, then it is the next step in biblical religion. Thus we should all become Muslims. But, on the other hand, if Allah was a pre-Islamic pagan deity, then its core claim is refuted. Religious claims often fall before the results of hard sciences such as archeology. We can endlessly speculate about the past or go and dig it up and see what the evidence reveals. This is the only way to find out the truth concerning the origins of Allah. As we shall see, the hard evidence demonstrates that the god Allah was a pagan deity. In fact, he was the Moon-god who was married to the sun goddess and the stars were his daughters.

Archeologists have uncovered temples to the Moon-god throughout the Middle East. From the mountains of Turkey to the banks of the Nile, the most wide-spread religion of the ancient world was the worship of the Moon-god. In the first literate civilization, the Sumerians have left us thousands of clay tablets in which they described their religious beliefs. As demonstrated by Sjoberg and Hall, the ancient Sumerians worshipped a Moon-god who was called many different names. The most popular names were Nanna, Suen and Asimbabbar. His symbol was the crescent moon. Given the amount of artifacts concerning the worship of this Moon-god, it is clear that this was the dominant religion in Sumeria. The cult of the Moon-god was the most popular religion throughout ancient Mesopotamia. The Assyrians, Babylonians, and the Akkadians took the word Suen and transformed it into the word Sin as their favorite name for the Moon-god. As Prof. Potts pointed out, "Sin is a name essentially Sumerian in origin which had been borrowed by the Semites."

source

and...

(ăl´e, ä´le) , [Arab.,=the God]. Derived from an old Semitic root refering to the Divine and used in the Canaanite El, the Mesopotamian ilu, and the biblical Elohim, the word Allah is used by all Arabic-speaking Muslims, Christians, Jews, and others. Allah, as a deity, was probably known in pre-Islamic Arabia. Arabic chronicles suggest a pre-Islamic recognition of Allah as a supreme God, with the three goddesses al-Lat, al-Uzza, and Manat as his “daughters.” The Prophet Muhammad, declaring Allah the God of Abraham, demanded a return to a strict monotheism. Islam supplements Allah as the name of God with the 99 most beautiful names ( asma Allah al-husna ), understood as nondescriptive mnemonic guides to the Divine attributes.

Bibliography: See S. Friedlander, Ninety-Nine Names of Allah (1978).

source

post #36 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 09:58 AM

Let's stay on topic...this thread isn't about wars, but rather Islam and Christianity...thanks!
post #37 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 01:03 PM
you wanna run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by four5.0snomore
Let's stay on topic...this thread isn't about wars, but rather Islam and Christianity...thanks!
what are you the thread nazi?

post #38 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 01:29 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip
what are you the thread nazi?
The christians started looking bad so they're trying to save face.
post #39 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 03:48 PM
you wanna run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
The christians started looking bad so they're trying to save face.
oh, my bad.

post #40 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 07:20 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by four5.0snomore
A comparison between Christianity and Islam is not complete without a discussion of wars.

post #41 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 09:32 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Blaming Christians of today for the Crusades is like blaming whites of today for slavery 150 years ago.

Disclaimer:
post #42 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 03:37 AM
Out

Quote:
Blaming Christians of today for the Crusades is like blaming whites of today for slavery 150 years ago.
I already told everyone I'm sorry for both!

Sincerely,
Today's White Christians
post #43 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 04:01 PM

How do you decide someone is a christian? As discussed in another thread not everyone who claims to be a virgin really is one. I'll stick with what Jesus said, "you shall know each other by your love" and "you know a tree by it's fruit". Both paraphrased. Oh yeah... "those who live by the sword shall die by the sword". All wars need a "cause" with which to rally the masses.
post #44 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Moondog, some of what you posted is true, and some not. I will get into more detail later.
Wasim, I'm interested to hear your side of the story.
post #45 of 155 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 06:35 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:

I'm talking Reformation, not Crusades.

post #46 of 155 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Any man is able to do anything, even the impossible (even live after 'death') so long as it is willed by God.
I'm sorry, but that is not true. NO man is able to rise from the dead. Not me, not you, not Allah, NOBODY.
post #47 of 155 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 08:44 AM
you wanna run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremcoder
I'm sorry, but that is not true. NO man is able to rise from the dead. Not me, not you, not Allah, NOBODY.
Jesus did.

post #48 of 155 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 09:17 AM

Quote:
But it still happens
post #49 of 155 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 01:15 PM
v2004 rebooted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip
Jesus did.

Do you have a video?
post #50 of 155 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 02:21 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremcoder
Unless God decides he wants him to rise and do a jig.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement