Hey if I go back to the past and punch myself in the eye - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 138
Hey if I go back to the past and punch myself in the eye

would I (the I who did the punching) get a black eye. Or would I have it as soon as I get back to the future? Or would I even have one? Assumeing I didn't go too far into the past. And don't say "It doesn't matter, cause you can't" I just want to hear ppls toughts.

Time is the only thing that keeps everything from happening all at once!
Runstang22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 03:56 AM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
time is the only thing from happening all at once. LOL!


how far back are you talking about going?

yes, you would have a black eye, immediately if i'm right.

because as soon as something would affect your "old" self, it will most certainly affect your "current" self.

like if you lost your arm in an accident, then in your new life, you wouldn't have an arm.

ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 07:42 AM
you cant see me
 
Futurama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: pantherville
Posts: 15,960
just make sure you pack enough plutonium to create the 1.21 jigawatts needed to get you back to the future.
Futurama is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 08:25 AM
3rd shift sloucher
 
RiSk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: some where between texas and mexico
Posts: 1,612
no i would have to say not....cuz if you cut your self in the past in the future you would have a scar....so no you wouldnt have a black eye

i cant remember what movie i saw it in, but the guy cut himself and he got a scar right then and there, all i know is jean claude van dam was in it.

**************FOUND IT*************

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111438/

: () { : | : & } ; : = <3
RiSk is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 12:38 PM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
i caught the impression he was talking about going back a few days or so.

but yeah, if you do something permanent, i'm led to believe that it will immediately affect your later self.

ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 138
Well I think that going into the past would create an ultimate rip in the space time continum. Quantum physics tells us that on the subatomic level that electrons orbit the nucleus in certain energy levels. The electrons go from one engery level to another as energy is applied to the atom. Now probability analysis shows that in between these enegery levels there is aboslutely no possibilty that the electron can exist between the engery levels. This means the electron (something that has mass and volume) goes from one location in three deminsions to another without ever existing between. Many people, including myself, think that this proves the existance multidimensons. If everything is made of these atoms that all have electrons, we all in a way behave in this same way. There is an infinite # of dimensions out there with you and I both in it similtaneously acting out every possibility at the same time. It is my opinion that once time travel ensues the person jumps to one of these alternate dimensions and becomes stuck on one of these timelines until that space time continum is breached again. Therefore, if anything happened to the you in the past, it would not happen to the you in the present. It would be a skew in only your timeline. What say you? I aint trying to start a new religion here, I like many of you out there, am washed in the blood of Christ. I see things a little differently. Besides I know the God I serve is powerful enough to take care of not just me but me in every possible situation. If your God isn't maybe you should try Jesus too. If you don't like Him the devil will always take you back.
Runstang22 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 04:01 PM
Time Served
 
Bhujanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: I've Seen the Light, and it's Dark
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runstang22
Well I think that going into the past would create an ultimate rip in the space time continum. Quantum physics tells us that on the subatomic level that electrons orbit the nucleus in certain energy levels. The electrons go from one engery level to another as energy is applied to the atom. Now probability analysis shows that in between these enegery levels there is aboslutely no possibilty that the electron can exist between the engery levels. This means the electron (something that has mass and volume) goes from one location in three deminsions to another without ever existing between. Many people, including myself, think that this proves the existance multidimensons. If everything is made of these atoms that all have electrons, we all in a way behave in this same way. There is an infinite # of dimensions out there with you and I both in it similtaneously acting out every possibility at the same time. It is my opinion that once time travel ensues the person jumps to one of these alternate dimensions and becomes stuck on one of these timelines until that space time continum is breached again. Therefore, if anything happened to the you in the past, it would not happen to the you in the present. It would be a skew in only your timeline. What say you? I aint trying to start a new religion here, I like many of you out there, am washed in the blood of Christ. I see things a little differently. Besides I know the God I serve is powerful enough to take care of not just me but me in every possible situation. If your God isn't maybe you should try Jesus too. If you don't like Him the devil will always take you back.

lol - I sure hope you don't ever take any nuclear physics classes and expect to pass them with your statements above - do you understand the difference between an energy level and an actual physical location? Going from one energy state to the next is not the same thing as taking a train from Grand Central, NY to Northport, Long Island. The electron does NOT "go from one location in three deminsions to another without ever existing between". Sorry dude, check your physics, learn more about the Schrödinger Equation and then recheck your hypotheses. Good luck! :-)
Bhujanga is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 138
Yes, finally someone out there has foiled the hypothesis. I read this idea in some science magazine last year and created this whole idea from it. But I'll check into it and see what comes up. I have also heard that it is a probability issue as well, but I didn't think that covered it well enough to disprove anything.

Ok I guess that just proves those who drives Stangs are really the smartest out there.

ive got some studying to do.
Runstang22 is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 02:58 PM
Time Served
 
Bhujanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: I've Seen the Light, and it's Dark
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runstang22
Yes, finally someone out there has foiled the hypothesis. I read this idea in some science magazine last year and created this whole idea from it. But I'll check into it and see what comes up. I have also heard that it is a probability issue as well, but I didn't think that covered it well enough to disprove anything.

Ok I guess that just proves those who drives Stangs are really the smartest out there.

ive got some studying to do.

Don't sweat it - there are loads of various ideas out there concerning quantum/nuclear physics, many of them are simple conjecture, others are based on fact, but a whole bunch are nothing but bullsh!&.

The probability factor is actually one of the main foundations of quantum physics and is most succinctly demonstrated by the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. You weren't that far off about there being a definite ambiguity about specific states of an electron, but you just went one step in the wrong direction when you figured that going from one energy level to the next was similar to moving the electron from one spot to another. No biggie, and not obvious, so don't feel bad.

There is lots of good info on energy levels, probability and some of the more bizarre behavior of electrons (check out info on Quantum Entanglement and Causality for a nice mind-blower) on the web and elsewhere, if you're interested.

Good to see that people here are interested in learning about these things, and also spend some time to think about possible ramifications (in your case, parallel dimensions). :-)
Bhujanga is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 04:49 PM
98 SVT Cobra
 
MoonDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Central IL
Posts: 5,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runstang22
would I (the I who did the punching) get a black eye. Or would I have it as soon as I get back to the future? Or would I even have one? Assumeing I didn't go too far into the past. And don't say "It doesn't matter, cause you can't" I just want to hear ppls toughts.

Time is the only thing that keeps everything from happening all at once!
Have you been reading the trilogy "Black", "Red", and "White" by Ted Dekker? Some of the samethings you are talking about happen in the books.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
MoonDog is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 04:22 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
 
01WhiteCobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Where's my beer?
Posts: 21,924
Punch yourself in the eye.
Wait a week.
See what happens.
Report back.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
01WhiteCobra is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog
Have you been reading the trilogy "Black", "Red", and "White" by Ted Dekker? Some of the samethings you are talking about happen in the books.
hmmm. does it have pictures? I can't read books without pictures.
Runstang22 is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 12:04 AM
Which one's the clutch?
 
Craizie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: R1 love.
Posts: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Punch yourself in the eye.
Wait a week.
See what happens.
Report back.
sounds fool proof

1987 Nissan pick up-wrecked
1984 Ponitiac grand am-sold
1988 Buick lasabre-sold
1987 Nissan 300zx-sold intake/exhaust
2001 Yamaha r6-sold slip on
2004 Yamaha r1-sold full exhaust
1991 Nissan 240sx-torn down,almost built up.
1994 toyota celica-blown up. exhaust
2005 Honda accord-daily.
Craizie is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 01:36 AM
Factory Issue
 
Yale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shippensburg, PA
Posts: 12,295
you can't do it, because you are the only you in the space-time continuum. that is to say, you're here now, so you can't be there, then. if you go back in time, you won't meet yourself, since you're the only you. you're still in your relative time stream, which you can't leave. as for the going back in time thing, to do so, you'd have to find a wormhole to another dimension, and then take a whole other wormhole back to your dimension, that would spit you out in your world's past. we don't even know if wormholes exist at this point, they're the theoretical end result of a blackhole, but not the known end result.

Give me a dollar.
Yale is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome