Christian that drinks? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Christian that drinks?

I know that in biblical times people drank wine all the time. But my question is, is drinking actually bad? I also know that anything in excess is considered a sin, but if kept under control (and I truely mean that) is it bad for a christian to drink?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 01:34 AM
Lifer

You are correct in the referencs to scripture which defines anything in excess is sinful in nature, but to simply have a casual drink and not drink with the intent of getting drunk is not a sin.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Its always great to get the answer you were hoping for. Thanks!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 01:43 AM
TWIN SPINNER

1 Corinthians 10:31
Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:37 AM
Time Served

Drinking

Drinking is fine, b/c us Christian understand the context that we drink in.
But when others out side of the church see you drinking they will mock you and talk bad about you b/c they associtae all alcohol consumption with getting drunk.
You have to set an example for this people like it or not...
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 11:38 AM
Time Served

Some things are permissible but not always benificial. Whether we like it or not, christians are always being scrutinized. I think it is permissible but not benificial to drink in front of people you influence. This is my personal opinion. I do not drink in excess but when I do drink it is always at home with people that know what I am about.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 03:28 PM
TWIN SPINNER

I find that I will be less likely to drink around Christians rather than non-Christians, simply because I know it makes them stumble. I have absolutely no convictions against drinking as a Christian. Which is a bit funny because I fell completely on the otherside of the spectum a couple years back.
I think drinking is one of those old dinosaurs in evengelical circles that still remains. It probably came out of the days of prohibition and somehow attached itself as doctrine. Much in the same way alot of fundamentalists believe that it is wrong to marry interracially, which is clearly unbiblical and carries racial overtones from way back.

I do not encourage drinking, because it can cause many problems to a person. But when taken responsibly by a mature Christian I see no problem with it. As long as God is not dishonored in it, I am fine with it.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 07:34 PM

well said Josh...my thoughts almost exactly!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 12:06 AM
Foxbody King

2003 cobra DSG
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

That's what I have always thought. I do not drink to get drunk. I drink because I like the taste of the liquors I drink. I do it moderately and responsible. I see no problem with this either.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 06:35 AM
98 SVT Cobra

I have not been drunk in well over 15 years, although I do have an occasional beer from time to time (one or two at the most) and my wife will drink a little wine. I dont go out to bars to drink, only at dinner or hanging with a few friends, and not drink infront of other christians whom dont drink or have had a problem in the past with it, simply because I dont want to be the one to cause them to stumble. I do not drink hard liquor because of the process used (distillation vs. fermentation), I am pretty sure they did not have any distilleries during biblical times.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 08:38 AM
TWIN SPINNER

I don't get what distillation has to do with it?

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 10:17 AM
Lifer

I drink. Don't have any problems with it. I really could care less if I drink in front of Christians or Non-Christians. As far as that goes, it's no different to me. My example is set my character and actions, not what's in the cup. I've never had a friend, Christian or otherwise, have any problem with me drinking or call me out on it because "I'm a Christian". They understand that it isn't a problem and it doesn't change who I am.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 10:23 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
I don't get what distillation has to do with it?
You get a more pure form of alcohol by distilling. Thus it takes less liquor than beer to get a person drunk. I can have two Coronas and not feel a thing, but if I had two shots of Cuervo Gold I would be well on my way. Its just a personal thing.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!

Last edited by MoonDog; 09-23-2004 at 10:29 AM.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 10:28 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoll5.0
I drink. Don't have any problems with it. I really could care less if I drink in front of Christians or Non-Christians. As far as that goes, it's no different to me. My example is set my character and actions, not what's in the cup. I've never had a friend, Christian or otherwise, have any problem with me drinking or call me out on it because "I'm a Christian". They understand that it isn't a problem and it doesn't change who I am.
But what if a christian is a recovering alcoholic? Would you care? I believe that God will judge a person for doing something infront of another believer if it causes them to stumble. I am not saying I have a problem with your drinking, I dont, I just make sure it it ok with all parties involved before I do.

Disclaimer:
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 10:57 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog
But what if a christian is a recovering alcoholic? Would you care? I believe that God will judge a person for doing something infront of another believer if it causes them to stumble. I am not saying I have a problem with your drinking, I dont, I just make sure it it ok with all parties involved before I do.
I understand that. Pesonally, I would discuss it with that person. It's on an instance by instance basis. Some recovering alcoholics have to be around it to keep from drinking, some need it gone to not drink.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 06:34 PM
Time Served

This subject is very perplexing to me. The World seems to think Christians should not commit one sin and drinking is a sin (from the World's view). But from a Biblical stance, Jesus Christ himself turned water into wine and drank at a wedding. I guess my stance is there is a time and place for drinking and just follow your heart (i.e. holy spirit) when you choose to drink.

I'm out.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 01:56 AM
TWIN SPINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2KSilverGT
This subject is very perplexing to me. The World seems to think Christians should not commit one sin and drinking is a sin (from the World's view). But from a Biblical stance, Jesus Christ himself turned water into wine and drank at a wedding. I guess my stance is there is a time and place for drinking and just follow your heart (i.e. holy spirit) when you choose to drink.

I'm out.
Does not really have to do with the subject per se, but I do not belive that the what Jesus created was alcoholic. If you remember in the story the people attending the wedding said that Jesus saved the best wine for the last. What does this mean, well I'd suggest that it means that he saved the best tasting wine till the end of the party. It was a common practice to serve the best tasting wine first at such a function. As the party progressed the older more alchoholic wine would be served. Eventually everyones senses would be dulled to a point that they would be less likely to notice the taste of the less flavorful wine. So when Jesus created the wine and served it the people took notice to the taste.
Additionally, you have to ask yourself whether God would create something dead and in a rotted state? That is what wine essentially is, dead rotted grape juice.

That is why I believe that the wine that Jesus created was not fermented.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 06:36 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
Does not really have to do with the subject per se, but I do not belive that the what Jesus created was alcoholic. If you remember in the story the people attending the wedding said that Jesus saved the best wine for the last. What does this mean, well I'd suggest that it means that he saved the best tasting wine till the end of the party. It was a common practice to serve the best tasting wine first at such a function. As the party progressed the older more alchoholic wine would be served. Eventually everyones senses would be dulled to a point that they would be less likely to notice the taste of the less flavorful wine. So when Jesus created the wine and served it the people took notice to the taste.
Additionally, you have to ask yourself whether God would create something dead and in a rotted state? That is what wine essentially is, dead rotted grape juice.

That is why I believe that the wine that Jesus created was not fermented.
I have always believed that the best tasting more alcoholic wine was served first so that as the wedding party got drunk then they would not notice that they were being served the less flavorful (possibly less alcoholic) wine. Thus Jesus, when He turned the water to wine, created the best tasting wine. It could have been ferminted or not, the bible does not specify. I personally believe that it was.

Disclaimer:
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 08:14 AM
Time Served

I think one of the main points of the wedding lesson was how to deal with alcohol/wine/beer/liquor in a public setting. Jesus set the example, now all we have to do is follow it - easier said than done.

2004 F150 SCREW

2000 GT
242rwhp/285rwtq
1/8: 8.93
RIP 2/25/07

www.lockoutforums.com

I Corinthians 9:24 - Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 08:30 AM
TWIN SPINNER

Quote:
I have always believed that the best tasting more alcoholic wine was served first so that as the wedding party got drunk then they would not notice that they were being served the less flavorful (possibly less alcoholic) wine. Thus Jesus, when He turned the water to wine, created the best tasting wine. It could have been ferminted or not, the bible does not specify. I personally believe that it was.
I guess it is just a matter of taste, I think grape juice tastes a whole lot better than wine.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 09:30 AM
98 SVT Cobra

I agree, I personally think wine tastes like dog piss. But what do I know, I have never tasted dog piss.

Disclaimer:
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 04:08 PM
Hero in a half shell

Since I just turned 21 recently, I bought myself a bottle of Jagermiester Some friends of mine are going to drink tonight, but I'm not going to drink to get drunk, just enough to buzz alittle. It's been almost 2 months since my last alcoholic drink. I'm just celebrating tonight.

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 04:29 PM
Now Coupeless

I also just turned 21 acouple days ago, but I choose not to drink at all (not saying that it's wrong) maily because I've been fine without Alcohol for 21 years and I do not yearn for it all and can continue not to. On the point of drinking in front of other Christians, I look down upon it because most people around my age and in the teeange years drink to get drunk and in a church setting I think it sets a pretty bad example for the younger teens that will start seeing alcohol in Highschool which can lead to bad judgement and big mistakes being made.

96 Jeep Cherokee
[email protected]
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 08:29 PM
Lifer

Quote:
So you believe that Jesus would create something that would cause people to sin???
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 12:54 AM
TWIN SPINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrp88lx's
So you believe that Jesus would create something that would cause people to sin???
If Jesus created the wine fermented, which I don't believe he did, it would not have been something created to cause sin. Anything not taken in moderation can be a sin even if it were created for good. Marijiuana is a good example, God certainly created it and it has great medicinal value. When it is abused, however it becomes sin.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrp88lx's
That statement is silly...

1. You can sin with many things God created (women for example!)...

2. When you CHOOSE to sin it is your fault and not God's

3. SOME THING doesn't cause you to sin, it is you!

4. And yes, Jesus did turn water into wine...so he "created" some of it.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 08:21 AM
Saved by Grace

Jesus said its not what goes into a man [stomach] that defiles him, it's what comes out [actions/speech] Drinking becomes a sin when it violates the commandment - There shall be no other gods before me-. When my thinking is altered by drinking I don't have God foremost in my thoughts. I'm a recovered alcoholic, when I drank it was my God. The bible does say if someone is depressed, suffering or down give them some wine to cheer them up. By the way fermetation is a purifacation process. Thats why its used so much in the bible as symbolism, that through Christ we are changed and made into something new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement