Speaking in tongues - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Saved by Grace

Speaking in tongues

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with speaking in tongues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 01:55 PM
Small Fry

Both my Mom and my Step Father do it, but they've never done it in fron tof me. I only know becasue I asked them about it and they told me they each do it, but usually only when they are alone and/or in deep prayer.

I myself do not do it. I'm still alittle unsure about it.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 03:15 PM
Lifer

What in the heck are you talking about?

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 03:44 PM

I do every time I move my mouth and say something...j/k!

I think the bible shows different types of speaking in tongues (ie. worshipping God in a "heavenly language" or speaking in another language you never had learned)...

I hope this helps some...Oh, and I have never spoken in tongues in either of the above listed ways...
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:20 AM
Blessed

It's praying through your spirit. It freaks alot of people out at first. I do it and believe it is a very powerful form of prayer.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Saved by Grace

Yeah, it freaked me out when it happened to me. I had one of those experiences where I was knocked to floor by the holy spirit. When I got up I could speak this language. I wouldn't even tell anyone for a long time, I knew what it was, I seen it in church when I was a kid. I've been told it is the ancient language of the angels. I can even write it but, don't know what it means. I've heard that some people can interpet what it means. It's still really strange.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 08:53 AM
TWIN SPINNER

26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
(KJV)

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 09:08 AM
Lifer

You gotta be kidding me. I thought only cults spoke in tongues.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 09:37 AM
Check out my decor!

One of my best friends was killed in a car accident about 2 years ago. A girl that went to school with him and I saw the accident happen, and got out of her car and ran straight to him. Right when she got there (before he died) she said "everything was going to be ok... ." Then she started speaking in tongues. She never spoke it before, and never thought about it. She said it was so weird because she knew she was doing it, but had no control over what was coming out of her mouth.

Just thought I would share!

http://www.myspace.com/missgirl01

Happiness is not a goal, but a way of life.

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 10:57 AM
Small Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird
You gotta be kidding me. I thought only cults spoke in tongues.
It is a gift of the Holy Spirit talked about throughout the New Testament. Even thought it may seem strange because we're not accustom to it, it is still a wonderful thing. There are just things about it I still do not understand.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 11:09 AM
dead

speaking in clicks and grunts..
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 03:35 PM
"SHOW HIM THE BIRD!"

nope never done it.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 03:23 AM

i thought talking in tounges was evil ... maybe there are good and bad?? probally.... what am i saying its 4:20 in the morning... night
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 05:32 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by four5.0snomore
I do every time I move my mouth and say something...j/k!

I think the bible shows different types of speaking in tongues (ie. worshipping God in a "heavenly language" or speaking in another language you never had learned)...

I hope this helps some...Oh, and I have never spoken in tongues in either of the above listed ways...
Your absolutely correct Lee. There are two, the most common that people may here is the "heavenly language" that I believe is widely misused in the church today. I have done it but not very often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
(KJV)
This is one of the main reasons I dont do it very often (outloud anyway). A person may here people do it all the time in church but the bible is clear that if there is not an interpreter present then we are to keep out mouths closed because it is not edifying to anyone.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Time Served

There are three mentions of speaking in tounges in the Word. One is in Acts 2, when the disciples were speaking another language(spanish , german , etc) and they,being other people, understood. The other two are in 1cor 14. One type is done in a church, or church setting, always with an interpretor. It is done to edify the church.If no interpretor, you might want to question the validity of it being from God. Also is another when you are all alone and are praying , maybe in your "prayer closet". For this, I have found another scripture that supports this, read romans 8 26. God Bless.
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 02:20 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87stang
If no interpretor, you might want to question the validity of it being from God.
The bible states that if there is no interpretor then you are to keep it to yourself, not question its validity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87stang
Also is another when you are all alone and are praying , maybe in your "prayer closet". For this, I have found another scripture that supports this, read romans 8 26. God Bless.
I personally dont think 8:26 is speaking about tongues but even if it is I dont think it would be any different then the tongues mentioned in 1 Corinthians.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 04:14 PM

it is still a confusing thing to alot of people. there are two types of speaking in tongues. there is the gift of speaking in tongues and then there is the prayer language of speaking in tongues. the ift is what is stated in Acts 2. peter was not speaking german , then spanish then arabic ect ect. he was speaking in tongues and with that gift everyone could understand what he was saying because it was "translated" into their own language. the other type is a prayer language. some people say you recieve this language when you recieve the holy spirit. it is powerful because it is the holy spirit speaking through you. it builds up you and makes you stronger, and also is used for intercesion. there is alot of disagrement about this and it is unconfortable to alot, but these are my viewpoints on it.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 10:36 PM
tired

Quote:
(KJV)
I have been to a church where several people did this, and I was curious. I asked what they were saying and they all said they didn't know, that it just happens when they are filled with the spirit. So I did some digging in the bible and found the above quote. After that it kinda made me question them, because no one could tell me what was being said. I just know that they say it seems like they are closer to God when they do it.

Laura
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 11:55 PM

there are two types of tongues though. were they shouting tongues in the middle of service, stoppping everything as if they had a message to say or were they doing at a level in which a few people aroungthem could here it. this may sound dumb, but it really is important. b/c if someone stops everything in the middle of a service and begins to speak in tongues as if they were making an announcement and there was no interpretation, then the above verse would apply.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 10:11 AM
Lifer

Sounds like paganism.
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 11:53 AM
Small Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird
Sounds like paganism.
All you have to do is read the Bible to find out it's not.
post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 08:55 PM
you wanna run?

In order for it to be tongues, there has to be an interpretor.

Formerly on the Submarine USS Maryland SSBN 738G
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 09:07 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Why are people saying this? The passage does not say that there "HAS" to be an interpreter. It merely states that if there isn't an interpreter then a person is to keep silent in the church and keep it between them and God. It says no where in the bible that if there is no interpreter that a person is to question to validity and that it isn't tongues at all.

Disclaimer:
post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 03:27 AM
Long Live T.S.

http://www.bible.org/docs/theology/pneuma/tongues.htm\

here is a site on it ....

I am still consufed on the matter....is this somthing that can be learned or just happens?

To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 03:57 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWminis
http://www.bible.org/docs/theology/pneuma/tongues.htm\

here is a site on it ....

I am still consufed on the matter....is this somthing that can be learned or just happens?
It is supposed to happen when you consumed with the Holy Spirit. I have some friends who have told me they can do it. Never seen it in person, but I beleive it to be true.
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Saved by Grace

I'm really careful about the use of this gift. I wouldn't do it in public, even church. Does anyone think that missuse of this gift or making fun of it, comes close to blasphemy of the Holy Spirit?
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 06:23 AM
Out

I, personally, think of it as a blasphamous act. Why is it that only certain denominations do it? Why does it only happen during their church gatherings?

I believe it was an occurrance at one time, but just like the prophets, they're no more because God's plan has needs for cetain things and people at certain times.
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 02:12 PM
TWIN SPINNER

I agree with Denny on this one. I too believe that is was something that was only given at times of great change in the dispensation of the Church. That is not to say it does not happen anymore period, just not as often as some would like to think. If it did happen like it did in the first century then why do bother training missionaries to speak the native langueges of their host countires? Certainly they could just speak the tounge of those people through the Holy Spirit, right?

Do I think that it comes close to blasphemy of the Holy Spirit as in the "unforgivable sin." No. Can it be blasphemous, I suppose.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Hero in a half shell

I've always be curious to witness someone speak in tongues. I have not found anyone yet but hopefully I will in the Denton area.

post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
I, personally, think of it as a blasphamous act. Why is it that only certain denominations do it? Why does it only happen during their church gatherings?

I believe it was an occurrance at one time, but just like the prophets, they're no more because God's plan has needs for cetain things and people at certain times.
how can it be blasphamous? was Paul a blasphamer and peter and most of the other apostles? give me biblical evidence that those gifts are no longer in work or even needed. if anything at the end times they are needed more than ever. the reason only certain denominations do it is because of interpretation of the bible. some denominations don;t beleive in laying on of hands and healing but i have seen it done and the bible speaks of it all through the n/t. there are many examples of these difference of opinions on the gifts of the spirit and the holy spirit in general. and it doesn't only happen in church meetings. i have done it all alone in my room praying when no one else could possibly hear. i have done it in church i have done it during personal worship and corp. worship
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 01:38 AM
Out

Did you just read my first sentence? I stated I believed it was something that happened at one time, but not now. And why would someone be needing to ask for evidence on anything in the Bible if our whole relationship with God is built on faith?
post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 02:11 AM

because if the bible tells you something and your faith tells you something else then your faith is wrong(that was not a jab at you) i am just saying that the bible leads and guides us as to what is wright and wrong. there are many people whose "faith" has led them astray because they idn;t study the word of God.and no offense, but i cannot take your faith as concrete evidence that speaking in tongues is blasphemy when the entire new testament teaches on it. again i am not trying to sould like a jerk.
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 03:02 AM
Out

No, I'm not thinking of you as a jerk, we're just both explaining our beliefs. Speaking iin tongues usually signifies the initial evidence of receiving the Holy Spirit, does it not? So, hypothetically, if one were to speak in tongues while not actually receiving the Holy Spirit's inspiration would be blasphamy. Blasphamy of the Holy Spirit is a big no-no, is it not?

When God fulfilled His promise and prophecy concerning the baptism of the Holy Spirit, the bonding of Himself into the lives of Christian believers, He chose speaking with tongues as the initial evidence of this baptism. What about the other times thereafter that people speak in tongues?

And my last question, once again... why is it that only a couple denominations speak in tongues today?
post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 03:09 AM
TWIN SPINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStang
because if the bible tells you something and your faith tells you something else then your faith is wrong(that was not a jab at you) i am just saying that the bible leads and guides us as to what is wright and wrong. there are many people whose "faith" has led them astray because they idn;t study the word of God.and no offense, but i cannot take your faith as concrete evidence that speaking in tongues is blasphemy when the entire new testament teaches on it. again i am not trying to sould like a jerk.
I don't believe that Denny is suggesting that the actual act of speaking in tounges is blasphemous in and of itself. But if the person who is speaking in tounges is not lead by the Spirit to do so and as a result of the tounge the person propheses in the name of God, then I believe that the name of God has been used in vain; thereby it becomes blasphemous.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 03:15 AM
Out

Quote:
I don't believe that Denny is suggesting that the actual act of speaking in tounges is blasphemous in and of itself. But if the person who is speaking in tounges is not lead by the Spirit to do so and as a result of the tounge the person propheses in the name of God, then I believe that the name of God has been used in vain; thereby it becomes blasphemous.
Exactly. Thanks for the translation
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Saved by Grace

The reason I brougth that up and why I'm careful about this gift is this. I knew this guy that would show up at our partys, he would get drunk and stoned and start speaking in tongues. He would make fun of Jesus and relgion and everyone would laugh. I knew what it was and didn't think it was funny in the least. A few years later he got Aids, went blind and died a horrible death. I'm not saying God did this, just strange happen stance. His twin brother died the same way.
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 05:39 AM
98 SVT Cobra

This is a clear indication why many unbelievers dont believe. We Christians (everyone of us) pick and choose what we believe and what parts of the bible aren't for a modern world. Who said there is no more tongues? Who said there are no more prophets? Who said there is no more signs and wonders? Just because we dont understand something and it isn't taught in "our" church does not mean we are right and everyone else is commiting blasphemy. If this stuff is not availiable to us today then maybe someone should just rewrite the whole bible and only put in what is availiable leaving out all the gifts of the Spirit. Heck, we could even leave out half the OT, all that law stuff, who needs it?

Everyone wants to believe this part.
Quote:
Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
But not the last part.
Quote:
Mar 16:17
Quote:
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mar 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
If you dont believe the last part of this passage then how can you believe the first part?

Disclaimer:
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 10:30 AM
Out

Quote:
Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mar 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

What are you going to drink?
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 11:46 AM
98 SVT Cobra

So are you telling me that I am supposed to tempt God and put Him to the test? That would be just down right foolish. It says IF they drink, not WHEN. It is implied if you drink something unknowingly, not willingly.

Disclaimer:
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog
So are you telling me that I am supposed to tempt God and put Him to the test? That would be just down right foolish. It says IF they drink, not WHEN. It is implied if you drink something unknowingly, not willingly.
No I'm not. I just asked since you brought it up as an example, I thought you had something more to say on it.
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 03:17 AM
TWIN SPINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog
This is a clear indication why many unbelievers dont believe. We Christians (everyone of us) pick and choose what we believe and what parts of the bible aren't for a modern world. Who said there is no more tongues? Who said there are no more prophets? Who said there is no more signs and wonders? Just because we dont understand something and it isn't taught in "our" church does not mean we are right and everyone else is commiting blasphemy. If this stuff is not availiable to us today then maybe someone should just rewrite the whole bible and only put in what is availiable leaving out all the gifts of the Spirit. Heck, we could even leave out half the OT, all that law stuff, who needs it?

Everyone wants to believe this part.
[color=#008080]But not the last part.
[color=#008080]If you dont believe the last part of this passage then how can you believe the first part?

You don't suppose that that was specifically written for people living in the 1st century do you?

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 07:00 PM
98 SVT Cobra

No Josh I dont. I believe that everything in the bible was written for those then and now. I do not believe that miracles and gifts died out along with the apostles. I do however, believe that there are churches and/or christians out there that misuse or misinterpret scripture.

Disclaimer:
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 12:06 AM
TWIN SPINNER

Well I don't believe that it is the case in every situation, because obviously there are at least principles that can be gathered from any scriptured and applied to our contemporary lives. I my opinion, I believe that the passage as recorded Mark 16 indicates that it was only reserved for that period in history. Most of the miricales included in Mark 16:17-18 were witnessed in the period following Pentacost. For example:
1. The apostles exorcised evil spirits.
2. The preaching and interpretation of unknown tounges at Pentacost.
3. Paul was bitten by a serpent and lived.
4. They healed the sick.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 06:02 AM
98 SVT Cobra

And you dont believe that any of those four things listed can and does happen today?

Disclaimer:
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 09:08 AM
TWIN SPINNER

I do believe they do happen. I just do not believe that it happens in the same way or with the same frequency.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 04:35 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Well then, if they do happen today, why cant people take in tongues also? If you remember way back when this thread first started, I stated that I believe that the gift of tongues is widely misused within the church but I believe that it can and does still happen. I can here my wife do it sometimes at night when she is praying but she is careful to keep it quite.

Disclaimer:
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 07:21 PM
T-MINUS

Just some thoughts on this...

It is a gift of the holy spirit, as is interpretation, prophecy, etc. I also understand that it is a prayer language that thrust you into the thrown room of God. Do you always know what you or someone else is saying? No. Don't really have to. I whole heartedly believe in the bible. Christ brought gifts and gave them to everyone with Faith to accept them. No where does it say he took these gifts with him when he rose into heaven.

Josh, as the word states, as a believer in Christ, you are an apostle and do have the ability to do all things.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 12:06 PM
TWIN SPINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt
Just some thoughts on this...

It is a gift of the holy spirit, as is interpretation, prophecy, etc. I also understand that it is a prayer language that thrust you into the thrown room of God. Do you always know what you or someone else is saying? No. Don't really have to. I whole heartedly believe in the bible. Christ brought gifts and gave them to everyone with Faith to accept them. No where does it say he took these gifts with him when he rose into heaven.

Josh, as the word states, as a believer in Christ, you are an apostle and do have the ability to do all things.
If you read my posts more carefully you'll note that I in no way said that these gifts ascended with Christ. (Obviously not, as the gift of tounges is obviously present at Pentacost, some time after the ascension.)

My point is this; I do not believe that tounges are used today as they were in the first century. I most definately do believe that tounges, for the most part, are used for self-edification today.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement