Has anyone read the "Left Behind" series? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Has anyone read the "Left Behind" series?

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 11:05 PM
Small Fry

I listened to them. (CD) I thought it was alright.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 05:38 AM
Saved by Grace

I don't believe in the rapture. The words not even mentioned in the bible.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 06:23 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Comet
The concept is mentioned though.
rapture = The state of being transported or carried away.
Quote:
1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 07:40 AM

I hate reading and I couldn't put the books down.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 08:26 AM
Boost is Good

I watched the movies
Does that count?
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281R
I watched the movies
Does that count?
Actually, I think it doesn't. I read the first two books, and watched the first two movies. The movies do not come close to doing them justice. They seemed loosely based on the books, at best.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 09:43 AM
Time Served

I have read them all but the last one. At first they were really good but the more I read the more annoyed I got at the Author's style of writing. I got onto their website and you have to pay a subscription to everything. Personally, I think they are in it to make money. I mean, come on, 12 books to cover 7 years of time. I bought the last book but I can't stand reading it.

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 10:09 AM
Small Fry

Quote:

The raptue will happen. If you believe the Bible, then you should believe in the rapture. The only question is when it will be, before or during the Tribulation. Me and Moony have disscussd that one.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 10:13 AM
Out

I'm about a week away from finishing my first complete read of The Bible. My mother-in-law just sent me the "Left Behind" series. I'm actually looking forward to reading it. Funny thing is, I've never read for pleasure in my life, now I can't put The Book down. I read a couple hours a day. When I finish the series, I'll probably start The Bible over again...
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
I'm about a week away from finishing my first complete read of The Bible. My mother-in-law just sent me the "Left Behind" series. I'm actually looking forward to reading it. Funny thing is, I've never read for pleasure in my life, now I can't put The Book down. I read a couple hours a day. When I finish the series, I'll probably start The Bible over again...

The first ones are great but as the series went on it seemed like they are losing sight of the point of it all.

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 01:02 PM
Small Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larius
The first ones are great but as the series went on it seemed like they are losing sight of the point of it all.

What do you mean? How so?
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 03:32 PM
Time Served

The first books are written in a way where, if someone was in that position I could see it happen. But as the books go on, they meet this girl and she has millions of dollars to buy all this stuff and they find this parking garage that has a bunch of hummers in it. It just gets less realistic as the books go on. I guess it could happen, but it turns out like The Hardy Boys where they have everything. This is a time of extreme persecution and they are, they have to stay in hiding, but that have jets and helicopters at their disposal. It really started turning me off to the whole series. The series has a good message it just seems like they are trying to make a quick buck off people. Go to their website and tell me what you think. www.leftbehind.com

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 04:19 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larius
The first books are written in a way where, if someone was in that position I could see it happen. But as the books go on, they meet this girl and she has millions of dollars to buy all this stuff and they find this parking garage that has a bunch of hummers in it. It just gets less realistic as the books go on. I guess it could happen, but it turns out like The Hardy Boys where they have everything. This is a time of extreme persecution and they are, they have to stay in hiding, but that have jets and helicopters at their disposal. It really started turning me off to the whole series. The series has a good message it just seems like they are trying to make a quick buck off people. Go to their website and tell me what you think. www.leftbehind.com
Alright, heres the thing dude, these two guys are writers. That is how they make their living. To say that they are only in it for the money is like saying the only reason we all get up in the morning and go to work is for a pay check on Friday. Would you go to work everyday if you did not get paid for your labor? Your right, they and everyone else is in it for the money.

Second, these books are fiction loosly based on their interpretation of scripture. They are not meant to be gospel. They are merely meant to entertain. Although I have not read the last book yet and I did find a couple of the books to be rather slow, overall I did find the series quite intertaining and enjoyable to read.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 04:37 PM
Time Served

Your entitled to your own opinion and I am mine. I was dissapointed in they way they wrote it. I found the first ones entertaining and I really liked them but why have a 12 book series to cover it all. I think it is dumb. So, go ahead and grille me for having my own opinion, I was asked a question and I answered it.

post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I appreciate all of the responses. I have listened to the cd's for books 2 and 3 (long road trip), and I am going to read the rest of them now. Hopefully I will enjoy them as most of you have.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 08:49 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadfan35
The raptue will happen. If you believe the Bible, then you should believe in the rapture. The only question is when it will be, before or during the Tribulation. Me and Moony have disscussd that one.
This raises a interesting point, how are you defining the rapture? The problem I have with the series is I do not believe at the second coming anyone will be left behind in the sense the stories are written.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 11:11 PM
Small Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrp88lx's
This raises a interesting point, how are you defining the rapture? The problem I have with the series is I do not believe at the second coming anyone will be left behind in the sense the stories are written.
The Rapture is not Jesus' second coming. It is only the time that He returns to snatch away those believers that have died and the believers still alive on earth. The Second Coming is at the end of the Tribulation when everyone on the earth will see Jesus coming down followed by the armies of Heaven. At the rapture there will be a trumpet call and Jesus will gather the church (believers) and Jesus will not be visible to all at the rapture. At His Second Coming, everyone on earth will see Him coming down from Heaven.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 04:39 AM
TWIN SPINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog
The concept is mentioned though.
rapture = The state of being transported or carried away.
[/size]
[/size]
Niether is the Trinity.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 05:54 AM
Lifer

Quote:
The Rapture is not Jesus' second coming. It is only the time that He returns to snatch away those believers that have died and the believers still alive on earth. The Second Coming is at the end of the Tribulation when everyone on the earth will see Jesus coming down followed by the armies of Heaven. At the rapture there will be a trumpet call and Jesus will gather the church (believers) and Jesus will not be visible to all at the rapture. At His Second Coming, everyone on earth will see Him coming down from Heaven.
Book chapter and verse please. I see only the 2nd coming.

1 Thes. 4:13-17
But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. 14For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. 15For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 16For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Rev. 1:7
Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

Acts 1:11
Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

Last edited by shrp88lx's; 07-23-2004 at 06:27 AM.
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 01:33 PM
Small Fry

Quote:
Book chapter and verse please. I see only the 2nd coming.

1 Thes. 4:13-17
But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. 14For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. 15For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 16For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Rev. 1:7
Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

Acts 1:11
Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.
Ok, I'll try to clarify.

1 Thes. 4:13-17 Is a rapture passage. The passage says that we shall meet Him up in the clouds And be with Him forever. But at Jesus Second Coming to earth, He will come all the way down to earth and set up His 1000 year Kingdom.Why would we "meet Him up in the clouds of and be with Him" if he is on His way down. So what's the explanation? That passage is a rapture passage.

Here is a little more about the Second Coming to earth: We know that when Jesus comes down to earth again everyone will see Him and fear Him. (Zechariah 14:3-5) Plus, Rev. 19:11-21 tells Us that Jesus will be coming Jesus will be coming down from Heaven on a White horse and he will be followed by the armies of Heaven also riding on white horses and dressed in Fine linen. The armies is not an actual army to fight because Jesus defeats the armies of the earth with His word (the sword form His mouth), these armies are the saints that have been raptured earlier.

Plus there is Matt. 24:36-51 where Jesus describes the rapture also. It says that Two men will be in a field; one will be taken the other left behind. Two women will be grinding with a handmill; one will be taken and the other left behind. We know it is a rapture passage because Jesus says at the beginning that "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in Heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Well, that means that this passage cannot be talking about His Second Coming to earth, because we can calculate when that will happen. (assuming that we were here for the Tribulation) Because from the signing of the peace treaty with Israel the Tribulation starts. 1,260 days from that signing (3 1/2 years) the antichrist will defile the temple, then 1,260 (3 1/2 years) days from then Jesus will come back to defeat the armies of Armageddon, thus completing the 7 year tribulation.

As I've said, there is no question that rapture will happen, just when it will happen in the sequence of events to happen. Moondog and I debated that here I hope that helped.
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 04:24 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Ok, I'll try to clarify.

1 Thes. 4:13-17 Is a rapture passage. The passage says that we shall meet Him up in the clouds And be with Him forever. But at Jesus Second Coming to earth, He will come all the way down to earth and set up His 1000 year Kingdom.Why would we "meet Him up in the clouds of and be with Him" if he is on His way down. So what's the explanation? That passage is a rapture passage.
Exactly. 1 Thes. 4:13-17 is a rapture passage. During the second coming, Jesus comes with the raptured saints and will set His foot upon the Mount of Olives and there will be a great earthquake.
This is a Second coming passage.
Quote:
Jud 1:14 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,
Jud 1:15 To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

He can only come with His saints if they were raptured first.

Disclaimer:
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 05:46 PM
Saved by Grace

Rev. 13:10 Here is a call for the endurance and faith of the saints. If I'm already in my spiritual body why do I need endurance and if I'm with Jesus faith would come pretty easy. The term rapture was not even coined or used in theological circles until 1850. When a mentaly ill women named Margaret McDondal had a dream. Don't get me wrong I'm all for an easy out, just don't think it's goin to be that smooth. This is proof to me that we are in the last days and the deception of the spirit of anti-christ is in full swing.
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 06:11 PM
Lifer

1 Thes. 4:15-17
For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 16For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Im sorry but this verse speaks ONLY of the 2nd coming. When all will be taken up with him.

2 Peter 3:10
But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

2 Peter 3:12
Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

These verse say what will happen at the 2nd coming.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 07:22 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
This is proof to me that we are in the last days and the deception of the spirit of anti-christ is in full swing.
Then you have absolutely no clue what the spirit of anti-christ is.
Quote:
For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 16For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Im sorry but this verse speaks ONLY of the 2nd coming. When all will be taken up with him.

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

No, these happen BEFORE the second coming not AT the second coming. And we are not taken up at the second coming, we come back with Him as mentioned in Jude. At the second coming Jesus sets up His Kingdom here on earth, why would we need to go anywhere? The reason we are raptured before the Day of the Lord is because God has not appointed us unto wrath.(1Th 5:9)

Rev 6:2 And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer. FIRST HORSEMAN

Rev 6:4 And there went out another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword. SECOND HORSEMAN

Rev 6:5 And when he had opened the third seal, I heard the third beast say, Come and see. And I beheld, and lo a black horse; and he that sat on him had a pair of balances in his hand.
Rev 6:6 And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine. THIRD HORSEMAN

Rev 6:8 And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.? FOURTH HORSEMAN

Rev 6:9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:
Rev 6:10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
Rev 6:11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellow servants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled. MARTYRS

Rev 6:12 And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;
Rev 6:13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.
Rev 6:14 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.
Rev 6:15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;
Rev 6:16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: COSMIC DISTURBANCES

Rev 6:17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand? THE DAY OF THE LORD

This is where I believe the rapture happens (it is just my opinion since there is where a great multitude suddenly shows up in heaven in verse 7:9 who are different from the slain souls under the alter because they are standing before the throne and John had no idea who they were). It goes on to mention the Trumpets, Vials and Bowls. Then Jesus is seen coming (second coming) in the clowds with all His saints to execute judgement.

Disclaimer:

Last edited by MoonDog; 07-23-2004 at 07:28 PM.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 11:25 PM
Small Fry

Quote:

Wrong. EVERYONE will see Jesus when he comes to earth the second time.

Quote:

That says what will happen after His second coming after the 1000 years on earth. After the 1000 years, Satan will be released once more to decieve and gether those whom he was able to decieve to attack Jeruselem and God will destroy them. Then the wicked will be judgeed at the White Throne Judgement and the cast into the lake of fire. Then: (Rev. 21:1) Then I saw a NEW Heaven and a NEW earth, for the first Heaven and earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 02:55 AM
Semi-Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281R
I watched the movies
Does that count?

w3rd?
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 06:30 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Wrong. EVERYONE will see Jesus when he comes to earth the second time.
ANd this is different than what I said how????

Quote:
That says what will happen after His second coming after the 1000 years on earth. After the 1000 years, Satan will be released once more to decieve and gether those whom he was able to decieve to attack Jeruselem and God will destroy them. Then the wicked will be judgeed at the White Throne Judgement and the cast into the lake of fire. Then: (Rev. 21:1) Then I saw a NEW Heaven and a NEW earth, for the first Heaven and earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.
Sorry I dont see where it says in that verse there will be 1000 yr earthly reign. Yes the new heaven and new earth are again spiritual not physical.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 09:46 AM
Small Fry

Quote:
ANd this is different than what I said how????
Sorry, I should have stated it better. You are wrong in that that passage does not speak of the Second Coming to earth. In that passage, Jesus gathers all believers dead and living. But when Jesus comes back He will be seen by the whole world, not just believers. And he will come down to earth and defeat the armies of earth at Armageddon.

Quote:
Sorry I dont see where it says in that verse there will be 1000 yr earthly reign. Yes the new heaven and new earth are again spiritual not physical.
That stuff in before that verse in Revelation. I didn't post scrpiture for it, just the part to show you the Bible says Heaven and earth will pass away and be made anew. Read Revelation 19:11 - 22:21. Heck, if you've never read Revelation, go ahead and read it all.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 01:42 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Rev 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. (Jesus coming down from Heaven to earth to defeat Satan) Also known as the Second Coming.

Rev 19:14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.(The saints following behind Him)

Rev 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshiped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

Rev 20:7 And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,

Rev 20:8 And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea. (If we are not reigning here on earth how can Satan go out to decieve the nations?)

Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

Rev 21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. (Eternity)

Disclaimer:

Last edited by MoonDog; 07-24-2004 at 01:50 PM.
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 03:23 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Sorry, I should have stated it better. You are wrong in that that passage does not speak of the Second Coming to earth. In that passage, Jesus gathers all believers dead and living. But when Jesus comes back He will be seen by the whole world, not just believers. And he will come down to earth and defeat the armies of earth at Armageddon.

That stuff in before that verse in Revelation. I didn't post scrpiture for it, just the part to show you the Bible says Heaven and earth will pass away and be made anew. Read Revelation 19:11 - 22:21. Heck, if you've never read Revelation, go ahead and read it all.
Ive read revelation manytimes, IT A VERY FIGURATIVE BOOK, when bounced against other scripture you will see we are waiting on the 2nd coming at this time.
post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 05:39 PM
Saved by Grace

Good point on Rev. 20:4. Something I've always wonder about is the bible says a Thousand years to us is a but one day to God. Which will it be? What I've been taught is that the tribulation will last 5 months, I think this will all come together pretty quickly.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 10:52 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Good point on Rev. 20:4. Something I've always wonder about is the bible says a Thousand years to us is a but one day to God. Which will it be? What I've been taught is that the tribulation will last 5 months, I think this will all come together pretty quickly.
2 Peter 3:8 is one of the most miss quoted verses in the bible. For it goes on to say "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

This is saying nothing about time frames here on earth. This has to do with God not being bound by time whereas we always think God is taking His own time when it comes to us and answering our prayers. While we are impatient with God, He is always patient when it comes to us. So while it may seem like a 1000 years to us, it is only a speck in time when it comes to eternity. Besides, what good would it do to reign with Christ for only 1 day?

I certainly hope your joking about the 5 months. Someone is in for a rude awakening. Nowhere in Revelation can you interprete anything that would make you come up with 5 months. It speaks of thousand two hundred and threescore days (1,260) a couple of times which comes out to 3 1/2 years, not 2 1/2 months. I could go into this father but I really have the time right now to do so.

Disclaimer:
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 06:14 AM
Saved by Grace

Thanks for the post, 2 Peter is one of my favorite books.Glad to see this forum back to life was dead there for awhile. I've got some more studying to do and re-evaluate some of the teachings I've had over the past couple of years. Anytime I have to get out my bible and get into the word it's win-win for me even if I don't agree or understand someone else's view of it. Do you know how a pearl is made? A grain of sand gets in the oyster and irratates it till it grows into a beatiful pearl. Thanks to all the posting grains of sand.
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 12:19 PM
Small Fry

Quote:
Ive read revelation manytimes, IT A VERY FIGURATIVE BOOK, when bounced against other scripture you will see we are waiting on the 2nd coming at this time.

Quote:
The Bible is to betaken literally Like Moondog said. True, the Bible does use representational, or symbolic speech., but in every case where it does the symbols stand for a literal place or thing. For instance, any time a fig tree is mentioned in the Bible, it is always symbolic of Israel. And the Beast in Revelation is symbolic of the antichrist. And the dragon or serpent is symbolic of Satan. But in every case I just mentioned, the things which the symbols represent are literal things.

A general rule of thumb is to take the Bible's words completely literal unless context proves symbolism. But even then the symbol will stand for a literal thing or place.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 01:02 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Thanks for the post, 2 Peter is one of my favorite books.Glad to see this forum back to life was dead there for awhile. I've got some more studying to do and re-evaluate some of the teachings I've had over the past couple of years. Anytime I have to get out my bible and get into the word it's win-win for me even if I don't agree or understand someone else's view of it. Do you know how a pearl is made? A grain of sand gets in the oyster and irratates it till it grows into a beatiful pearl. Thanks to all the posting grains of sand.
I am glad that you enter here with an open mind. I to have had to open up my bible and study alittle more while reading some of these posts.

I hope I didn't sound harsh about the 5 months deal, it is just that everywhere is scripture points to a 7 year time of trouble, tribulation and Gods wrath.

Disclaimer:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement