The Bible - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Long Live T.S.

The Bible

Is there any verus in the bible that stats the bible will stay true to its orignal form through the millions and millions of translations it has gone through over the thousands of years?

To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 04:54 AM
Out

Unless you read Hebrew, you'll never know, unfortunately. But that's were your faith has to play a major role. By having the Holy Spirit in you, you should get full understanding from the meaning the Bible is trying to get to you.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 12:31 PM
Time Served

good times

In the gospels it warns all people that no one is to remove or add anything to the book. And when these translations take place they are very very time consuming and accuarte...it never changes the meaning or the lesson, rather it just changes certain words to get the same meanings across. For instance Thou shalt not kill.....
Don't mureder anyone....

See what I mean.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 12:39 PM
Small Fry

In Revelation it says:

I warn everyone who hears the words of prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him plagues decsribed in this book. And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of Life and in the Holy City, which are described in this book. Rev. 22:18-19
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 02:11 AM
TWIN SPINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWminis
Is there any verus in the bible that stats the bible will stay true to its orignal form through the millions and millions of translations it has gone through over the thousands of years?
Why do you think that the Bible has gone through millions of translations? Do you think that the Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation, and so on? Because it is not. We have many ancient copies of both the Old and New Testiment, on the order of about 20,000. It is from these texts that Bible translations come from. So the Bible is really only translated once. From the original language to English.
I'd have to look it up to give you exact numbers but, a study was done to measure the authenticity/reliablilty of the original texts when compared against each other. It was found to be 99.5% true. The varience between all texts when held up against each other was only .5%. Most all the varience was grammar.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Long Live T.S.

Reason why I ask is cause I was thinking when I was talking to my mexican friend how some words do not really translate correctly in to English ..and since the bible was not written first in english I thought well mabye some words did not translate correctly.....I found a webpage that has a bunch of contradictions that are in the bible so that made me wonder more... I have complete faith in god and his words that are written I was just curious if the bible said anything about this...

edit: here is the webpage I was reading

http://www.infidels.org/library/mode...stencies.shtml

To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 06:50 AM
Saved by Grace

Your right about some of the words in the bible that have been badly translated. This is one of the main reasons for all the translations that have occured over the years. For example, some hebrew words have 5 different meanings, the word hate in hebrew means "to love less". God has provided us with good teachers, reference concordances and the holy spirit to guide us. A Srong's Concordance is a good tool for someone interested in studying the word. I don't think God expects us to be lazy and we should put out an effort to seek the truth.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Long Live T.S.

excellent answer thank u

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 07:51 AM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWminis
Reason why I ask is cause I was thinking when I was talking to my mexican friend how some words do not really translate correctly in to English ..and since the bible was not written first in english I thought well mabye some words did not translate correctly.....I found a webpage that has a bunch of contradictions that are in the bible so that made me wonder more... I have complete faith in god and his words that are written I was just curious if the bible said anything about this...

edit: here is the webpage I was reading

http://www.infidels.org/library/mode...stencies.shtml
even to start reading that webpage, the author of that page seems to have a complete lack of understanding about God and the Bible. We could sit here all day and point out that author's lack of understanding, but I just read the first part about the auther thinking the creation of light and the stars contridict each other and I was like geeze, "this guy really dosent understand the Bible nor God ". Its funny how people that have never been to church or have never studied the Bible try to explain it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 12:21 PM
Small Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281R
even to start reading that webpage, the author of that page seems to have a complete lack of understanding about God and the Bible. We could sit here all day and point out that author's lack of understanding, but I just read the first part about the auther thinking the creation of light and the stars contridict each other and I was like geeze, "this guy really dosent understand the Bible nor God ". Its funny how people that have never been to church or have never studied the Bible try to explain it.

I agree, that guy doens't understand what he's reading.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Long Live T.S.

no he doesnt..but that is not why I read it ...I was reading cause of bible versus he has found that clashed together

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 07:32 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281R
Geesh, I read through a dozen different ones and I have to agree with you Lance. I dont know what this guy is trying to prove but he needs to grasp a better understanding of God and His Word first before he starts spouting off with these so called "inconsistencies".

DFWminis, are there particular ones that you are having trouble with? One of us may be able to help explain it if there are.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Long Live T.S.

not at all..I was just curious about if there was somthing in the bible about the translation difference and why the bible has contradictions in it...but thanks unless u have more to add on those two subjects : )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement