Living in Sin? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Saved by Grace

Living in Sin?

I recently got married after living with my girl for a year. I felt kinda guilty for not being married. Does anyone think living together and not being married is wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 12:23 PM
Time Served

Eph. 5:16 says you should leave your father and mother and be united to your wife. This could be arguing that unity means having sex but I interpret it as meaning living together. I personally do not agree with living with girlfriends before marriage.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 07:03 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by Larius
Eph. 5:16 says you should leave your father and mother and be united to your wife. This could be arguing that unity means having sex but I interpret it as meaning living together. I personally do not agree with living with girlfriends before marriage.
First, you meant 5:31 not 5:16. Second, the phrase "shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh" is by virtue of the matrimonial bond. It does not mean for men to leave his parents and live with a woman.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Saved by Grace

The divorce rate among christians is the same as everyone else. 50% of marriages fail. I've been married before and wanted to make sure this one would work. Is that wrong?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 03:57 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by 72Comet
The divorce rate among christians is the same as everyone else. 50% of marriages fail. I've been married before and wanted to make sure this one would work. Is that wrong?
I do not feel that there is anything wrong with wanting to make sure a marriage is going to work before you say "I do" but there has to be other ways of doing that instead of living together.

I think that as long as a couple keeps God at the center of a marriage they can make it work. My wife and I only knew each other 4 months before we were married and that was 19 years ago. We decided from day one that we were going to make it work regardless of who said what or what was done to the other or how much money we made. It hasn't been easy but God has been with us the whole time.

Even though I believe that it is wrong, I dont fault you or anyone else who decides to live together.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 07:43 AM

I congratulate you on a BIG step forward in getting married and coming out of disobedience. There was a good reason for you feeling uncomfortable. I hope that was the Spirit of God dealing with you. I love it when people make right decisions for God and it will only bring you closer to Him.

BTW - a great example of this situation is the woman that Jesus met with at the well who had been married and divorced several times, and who was currently living with a man not being wed to him. God is merciful and it is new and fresh everyday!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 08:02 AM
P1

i know that we are...and in march it will be right
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 05:37 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by gonzo'syellow4.6
i know that we are...and in march it will be right
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 08:13 AM
P1

living in sin....but we're getting married in march
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 08:40 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by gonzo'syellow4.6
living in sin....but we're getting married in march
OK, I was a little confused by your first statement. Your living with someone but your getting married next year, gotch ya.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement