Reasons for being Religious? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2004, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
[]D[][]\/[][]D

Reasons for being Religious?

What are your reasons for being Religious/Spiritual?

I with the whole southern baptist thing and being drug to church. I dont go now and dont really ever see myself going back other than maybe to spend the day with my grandmother or something. But the point is I dont feel religious or spiritual at all. I dont see what drives people to want to put forth the effort to be religious or spiritual.

I dont think my life would change if religion never existed to begin with. I personally dont like being called atheis. Because atheis directly belive against there being a god so therefore thats their religion, to belive against. So I guess to belive for or against a "god" you have to be religious, if your not religious to begin with and have no opinion on "god" then what do you fall under?

Anyhow what causes you to want to be part of a religious/spiritual cause?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2004, 08:39 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Re: Reasons for being Religious?

I personally dont like being called religious probably just as much as you dont like being called athiest. I am a person who choses to have a personal relationship with God, alot of the religious people that I have met over the years have a tendency to be very overly zealous. Not that they all are but the ones I have met are. The "christians" blowing up abortion clinics I would call religious and not necessarily christian.

Why do you feel that we have to put effort forth. At my point in life and where I am in my walk with God it would be harder and require more effort on my part be become a sinner. When a person becomes a christian, God makes an inner change that requires no effort on our part. I find it quite easy living this way. Although I do go through the same daily struggles as most red-blooded american men.

You say you dont have an opinion on God. You have to. Everyone has an opinion about everything. You either believe he exist or you dont. If you dont, then you are an atheist by definition. If you do then you would probably be called an agnostic by definition. Just like I am religious by definition. We may not like these lables but that is what we are until someone comes up with a better word or definition.

Back to your original question, I guess my reason for being spiritual is that I came to a point where I was not happy with my life and there was nothing that I could personally do to make things better. I realized that I was a sinner in need of a Savior. When I made the decision to accept Jesus as my Savior and dedicate my life to Him, within months things that were spinning out of control in my life were better and I know for a fact that if it were not for God and His loving grace that I would either being a worthless druggie or dead.
Quote:
Originally posted by Blue88Coupe
What are your reasons for being Religious/Spiritual?

I with the whole southern baptist thing and being drug to church. I dont go now and dont really ever see myself going back other than maybe to spend the day with my grandmother or something. But the point is I dont feel religious or spiritual at all. I dont see what drives people to want to put forth the effort to be religious or spiritual.

I dont think my life would change if religion never existed to begin with. I personally dont like being called atheis. Because atheis directly belive against there being a god so therefore thats their religion, to belive against. So I guess to belive for or against a "god" you have to be religious, if your not religious to begin with and have no opinion on "god" then what do you fall under?

Anyhow what causes you to want to be part of a religious/spiritual cause?

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2004, 11:48 AM
Time Served

Having God in your life does not make the load easier, he just gives you a stronger back. It takes dedication and a lot of effort on our parts to come near to God. You have to make the first step toward him and he will do the rest. Having God in your life gives you a sense of purpose. When money, sex, and popularity does not make you feel complete, he will. I fall short everyday but the opportunity of being renewed is like none other.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2004, 12:18 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by Larius
Having God in your life does not make the load easier, he just gives you a stronger back. It takes dedication and a lot of effort on our parts to come near to God. You have to make the first step toward him and he will do the rest. Having God in your life gives you a sense of purpose. When money, sex, and popularity does not make you feel complete, he will. I fall short everyday but the opportunity of being renewed is like none other.
If I understand what you are saying I will have to disagree. I believe it to be easier to be a God fearing man then not. Jesus said:
Quote:
Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2004, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
[]D[][]\/[][]D

Quote:
I dont have any issues with feeling complete? I dont have any outstanding issues that are spinning out of control. I really feel that It would take quite an effort on my part to attempt to make time to goto church therefore causing me to put forth extra effort. So I guess you guys are saying that when you NEED something then its time to turn to religion. But a person like myself who feels ok and dosent really need anything extra should just be fine and continue on religionless.

I guess the answer has been answered though, you turned to religion when things were too much to handle.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2004, 01:04 PM
Time Served

Moondog,
Being a religous person does not mean all of your troubles will dissappear. It means when you do have hard times God will strengthen you.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2004, 01:08 PM
98 SVT Cobra

I guess you didn't hear me or I need to go into more detail. I did not turn to religion. I turned to God. Religion is man made and I dont follow that which is made by man. I was 25 and thought I had it all and knew all that I needed to, good job, good family, just like most at that age. I opened my eyes one day and realized that the drinking and drugs just wasnt doing it for me anymore. I wondered what would happen to me if I died, where would I go? Would I still be able to see my wife and kids? What about everything else I was doing, was I morally corrupt? I was brought up better than that. I came to a point where I needed to make some positive changes in my life. I did not only need to make these changes, I wanted to.

I can ask you a similar question, what drives you to want to put forth the effort to be non-religious or non-spiritual?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2004, 01:15 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Moondog,
Being a religous person does not mean all of your troubles will dissappear. It means when you do have hard times God will strengthen you.
I never said that all troubles will go away but they will become fewer and easier. You had said that having God in your life does not make the load easier, I say it does. I also say that it is easier to be a Christian then it is to be a sinner.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2004, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I dont have any issues with feeling complete? I dont have any outstanding issues that are spinning out of control. I really feel that It would take quite an effort on my part to attempt to make time to goto church therefore causing me to put forth extra effort. So I guess you guys are saying that when you NEED something then its time to turn to religion. But a person like myself who feels ok and dosent really need anything extra should just be fine and continue on religionless.

I guess the answer has been answered though, you turned to religion when things were too much to handle.
It would take a lot of effort to go to church and be religious. Forget religion and turn to Jesus Christ, your one and only substitute that can wash away your sins. There will be a judgement, and all will give account. I nor you can pay for our sins (and we both have them), but Christ can and did. It doesn't take much effort to come to Jesus when He is calling you. Search your heart and be open to hear from Him.

Lee
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2004, 10:47 PM
Small Fry

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog
I never said that all troubles will go away but they will become fewer and easier. You had said that having God in your life does not make the load easier, I say it does. I also say that it is easier to be a Christian then it is to be a sinner.
I agree more with Larius. I guess it depends on how you look at it. But Christians tend to have more thrown at them and go through more because they have the strength of Jesus to go through them. Look at Job, and David, (I know there were pre Jesus) and many of the apostles had some really rough times including painful deaths. Many times Christians have alot of suffering they go through. God works through their suffering not only to help them, (Romans 5: 3-5) but to show the world God's work through them. (John9:1-3)
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 08:51 AM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Originally posted by breadfan35
I agree more with Larius. I guess it depends on how you look at it. But Christians tend to have more thrown at them and go through more because they have the strength of Jesus to go through them. Look at Job, and David, (I know there were pre Jesus) and many of the apostles had some really rough times including painful deaths. Many times Christians have alot of suffering they go through. God works through their suffering not only to help them, (Romans 5: 3-5) but to show the world God's work through them. (John9:1-3)
Ditto, I feel the path God sets out for all of us isnt an easy one, it takes a lot of trust and strength only provided by God. But I know the treasure in Heaven at the end will be far worth it.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 09:11 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Guys I totally understand what you are saying. But I have to say that at my point in life it is easier for me to continue down the road I am on right now then to turn on God and follow after sin. I never said that it was easy but I do believe that it is easier. I know how my life was before and how it is now. Although I still have struggles and trials on a daily basis I am far better off now then I was 14 years ago.

Alot of the problems I had before was because I made bad decisions and was just plain stupid. But God has shown me grace and given me the knowledge I need to made better decisions, therefore making life easier for me. Before we had a household income of about $17,000, lived in a two bedroom apartment and drove a rundown car. Now we make over 6 figures, live in a 3000 sqft 4 bedroom home and drive a '04 Jag. Sure, these things are just material but life is good. And I have God to thank for it.

Lance, your avatar freaks me out. He almost looks like the Crypt Keeper.

Last edited by MoonDog; 05-17-2004 at 09:13 AM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 09:17 AM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Guys I totally understand what you are saying. But I have to say that at my point in life it is easier for me to continue down the road I am on right now then to turn on God and follow after sin. I never said that it was easy but I do believe that it is easier. I know how my life was before and how it is now. Although I still have struggles and trials on a daily basis I am far better off now then I was 14 years ago.

Alot of the problems I had before was because I made bad decisions and was just plain stupid. But God has shown me grace and given me the knowledge I need to made better decisions, therefore making life easier for me. Before we had a household income of about $17,000, lived in a two bedroom apartment and drove a rundown car. Now we make over 6 figures, live in a 3000 sqft 4 bedroom home and drive a '04 Jag. Sure, these things are just material but life is good. And I have God to thank for it.
I understand what you are saying, I guess its just how ever you look at it. Everyone is going to have a different opinion b/c their expierences with God are all different.

Quote:

Lance, your avatar freaks me out. He almost looks like the Crypt Keeper.
LOL! I was hoping to scare people not to vote for him, is it working? LOL!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 12:16 PM
Crash Test Dummy

I see what SpacePuppy is saying. Once you reach a certain "level" of spirituality. (Onto meat instead of milk) It is very hard to deliberately go back to living a life of sin. It is "easier" to live your life for God.

I feel that it is hard to be the kind of person that God wants us to be. Everyone that led a life for Jesus was persecuted. It can be very hard. The reason I do it, is because I have come to believe and see the truths about life. I know who created me, I know who created this place. I come to understand the dynamics of life and why things happen. I can understand why there is cancer, why death happens, why bad things happen to "good" people. It's in the Bible. I KNOW theres a God. I understand His love. I understand His wrath. I DO NOT understand, sometimes why He does what He does but, I believe in His goodness. I follow and I love. It's changed my life. I was "drug" to church myself when I was little.

I've tried the other way............... His way is better.

I'm religious and I wear that label proudly.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 12:26 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by Monsoon X
I see what SpacePuppy is saying. Once you reach a certain "level" of spirituality. (Onto meat instead of milk) It is very hard to deliberately go back to living a life of sin. It is "easier" to live your life for God.
Yes, this is exactly what I am saying

Quote:
I feel that it is hard to be the kind of person that God wants us to be. Everyone that led a life for Jesus was persecuted. It can be very hard.

I've tried the other way............... His way is better.

I'm religious and I wear that label proudly.
I agree with this. Although life is better and easier physically (IMO) I still am not where God wants me to be spiritually. I can always be better. I think this is where we are having our differences, I am talking from a physical standpoint, I believe everyone else is talking spiritual. So I will say yes, from a spiritual standpoint, being a christian is harder then not being one.

I prefer the term spiritual rather than religious, but that is just me.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 02:29 PM
Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
I prefer the term spiritual rather than religious, but that is just me.
I prefer the term religious rather than spiritual. These days spiritual can mean that you're into "whatever".

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 03:52 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
I prefer the term religious rather than spiritual. These days spiritual can mean that you're into "whatever".
Religious can mean the samething. But you hear the term religious nut all the time, not spiritual nut.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 11:56 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Religious can mean the samething. But you hear the term religious nut all the time, not spiritual nut.
I'm right, you're wrong.

j/k

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 12:46 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
I did not come to know Him because I could not handle my life, or to make my life better. He led me to Him through certain events. It was almost as if I did not have a choice or could not resist, as if it was supposed to happen. My life is better because of it though.

I believe living a true Christian life is harder than not. Ignoring your sin is easy, but repenting, owning up to your sin, and not committing sin is very heart breaking, and very difficult.

Jim - 93 Cobra - #2303
SVT Cobra Registry - www.scoa.org
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 12:51 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
I'm right, you're wrong.

j/k

post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 08:42 PM
Time Served

Re: Reasons for being Religious?

Quote:

Anyhow what causes you to want to be part of a religious/spiritual cause? [/B]
For the same reason a boy longs to play catch with his dad...
To know the Father.

Last edited by SVT93Style; 06-18-2004 at 12:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement