Religious music. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Religious music.

I enjoy several hardcore Christian bands, including Zao, Crimson Moonlight, The Crucified, and 90 Pound Wuss. Anyone else here listen to Christian bands outside the normal range of mainstream-type "wuss" music? I believe that Christian music is one reason that Christians are seen so often as saps, corny and weak. I don't believe that just because you're spiritual that it means you have to become an Amy grant or DC Talk fan.

I'll probably catch hell, but flame away if need be. People are so sensitive on the subject of music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 02:10 AM
Lifer

christian music sucks hardcore

95' Red Mustang GT.

Slow.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 02:48 AM
Small Fry

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SilverGT
So does only running a best 1/4 ET of 14.58 at 95.27

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 07:13 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SilverGT
Obviously you are someone who has never listened to the quality of music coming from todays Christian artists. Most poeple have no idea that bands like, Chevelle, MXPX, 12 Stones, Blindside, Switchfoot, Project 86 and a few others are indeed Christian artists. Another artist about to hit the mainstream that Christians have been listening to for the past 8 years is Skillet, these guys can hold their own against anyone.

Hardcore bands I personally like to listen to are Demon Hunter, Xnihilo (local band), These 5 Down, East West, Norma Jean.

I listen to www.christianhardrock.net all the time.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!

Last edited by MoonDog; 05-14-2004 at 07:17 AM.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog
Obviously you are someone who has never listened to the quality of music coming from todays Christian artists. Most poeple have no idea that bands like, Chevelle, MXPX, 12 Stones, Blindside, Switchfoot, Project 86 and a few others are indeed Christian artists. Another artist about to hit the mainstream that Christians have been listening to for the past 8 years is Skillet, these guys can hold their own against anyone.

Hardcore bands I personally like to listen to are Demon Hunter, Xnihilo (local band), These 5 Down, East West, Norma Jean.

I listen to www.christianhardrock.net all the time.
Since when does music make you weak? As far as I can tell, in the 40's when BIG BAND music was "the thing" (I don't really care for it and think it is corny), I would not say the big band fans were weak. They volunteered and fought hard (many to death) in WW2. I am a Pastor and don't really care for Christian hard rock, the Skillet I listen to is their worship album(s). I enjoy Third Day, Sonic Flood, Mercy Me, etc. For those that don't know (which you likely wouldn't understand anyways) it is not always about the style...it has to do with the lyrics.

Lee
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 08:15 AM
98 SVT Cobra

I agree 100% Lee. When I was in school I would only listen to hard rock. But once I rededicated myself to the Lord my music tastes have broadened. I listen to anything from gospel to metal. I am not close minded when it comes to styles of music, as long as the music I am listening to comes across with a positive message.

Skillets worship cd is definitely one of my favorites as well as all the Sonic Flood cds. I am not a big fan of Third Day but I do listen to them from time to time. I dont own any MercyMe but I do like what I have heard. I also like Seventh Day Slumber but they are more rock worship than the others.

Last edited by MoonDog; 05-14-2004 at 10:06 AM.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 09:53 AM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Originally posted by four5.0snomore
Since when does music make you weak? As far as I can tell, in the 40's when BIG BAND music was "the thing" (I don't really care for it and think it is corny), I would not say the big band fans were weak. They volunteered and fought hard (many to death) in WW2. I am a Pastor and don't really care for Christian hard rock, the Skillet I listen to is their worship album(s). I enjoy Third Day, Sonic Flood, Mercy Me, etc. For those that don't know (which you likely wouldn't understand anyways) it is not always about the style...it has to do with the lyrics.

Lee
Ditto
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 03:52 PM

blindslide rocks!!!!
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 12:19 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I like Norma Jean, but I can't understand 1 word they say, and would never have guessed they are a christian band.

Are there and GOOD christian hip hop artists out there?

Jim - 93 Cobra - #2303
SVT Cobra Registry - www.scoa.org
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JimJr
I like Norma Jean, but I can't understand 1 word they say, and would never have guessed they are a christian band.

Are there and GOOD christian hip hop artists out there?

It's hard enough just to find good hip-hop...even though all the gangsta rappers who talk about dealing and killing are always thanking God on the CD liner notes.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 12:46 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by CrashStitches
It's hard enough just to find good hip-hop...
BWAHAHAHA! Thats funny and couldn't agree more.

I guess a good place to start would be http://www.christian-hiphop.net/

If I had to listen to hip-hop I would probably listen to KJ-52, The Cross Movement, John Reuben (makes funny videos), Peace Of Mind, Grits and TBone. All these are considered some of the top in christian hip-hop, if there is such a thing.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

GZA - Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 08:59 PM

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 09:00 PM

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 04:18 AM
TWIN SPINNER

Quote:
Originally posted by JimJr
And how does that glorify God?

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 07:01 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

http://www.spiritgroove.com/music.cfm

Go to the "December 28, 2000 Spirit Groove II". If you have Real Player installed, click on "Sean Mitchell - Guide My Way". It's an awesome song by an awesome person. His voice is awesome, the quality on Real Player leaves something to be desired. He is one of those people whose voices do not require any music behind it, his voice is his music.

His website is being redesigned, but keep a look out for his first album, http://www.seanmitchell.org .

He was a country and western singer who sang with Alan Jackson and also spent a year in Vegas doing a show. He gave it all up because it wasn't the life he wanted for his family. I've watched him as he gave it all up to concentrate on his Christian music and develop his ministry. After many long years of struggling and keep the faith, it appears he is on the verge.

Guide My Way was, for lack of a better term, his "coming out party". A song that explains he switch in direction and the point at which he let God lead his way.

He lives in Garland, which is where I met him. I've seen him sing acapella where after he was done people just look dumbfounded with that "Wow" expression on their face.

He isn't hard rock, but, listen to the song. While you are listening to it remember he gave up a lucrative career which could have provided for his family many times over because, for him, it wasn't right. This song was his, "Jesus, it's all in your hands" witness and coming out party.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 09:09 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh
And how does that glorify God?
Music is very important to todays youth. It is how they express themselves. Even though you or I would not listen to anything that we could not understand what is sung, there are kids out there who do listen and many of them can understand what is sung.

Over the last 4 years I have been to over 2 dozen christian concerts and festivals and seen countless bands ranging from pop to metal. I have spoke with many of these band members and I know for a fact that their sole purpose is to glorify God in what they do and to help turn a lost world toward Christ. And many of them may say a prayer or at least mention why they are there and what they believe while on stage.

Why does a 40 yr old man do this? One, I like music, all types, two, I have teenagers that like music also so it is important for me to listen to what they like so I can better understand them and what they like. My oldest came home the other day and was telling me that many of the other kids at school like Switchfoot. I had to laugh since we as a family have been listening to them for almost 5 years.

If a teen is growing up on goth and such there is little chance that a person is going to be able to get them interested in christian music by making them listen to Steven Curtis Chapman and Michael W. Smith. Many times the only way to reach them is through music and if that means creating a christian death metal genre then that is what it means.

I checked out your link Eric. That guy is pretty good. I am going to keep an eye on his website for updates.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 03:50 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Many times the only way to reach them is through music and if that means creating a christian death metal genre then that is what it means.
Mortification?

I know there's more, but I used to listen to them a LONG time ago. I just can't get into death metal, so my tape has since been stored away somewhere.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design

Last edited by DarkWolf; 05-22-2004 at 03:57 PM.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 06:20 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
Mortification?

I know there's more, but I used to listen to them a LONG time ago. I just can't get into death metal, so my tape has since been stored away somewhere.
Oh yeah, Mortification is just one of them. They were pretty good back in the day. I haven't listened to them in a long time so I am not sure how they are now. Others are Tourniquet, Vengeance Rising, Lament, Facedown, Living Sacrifice, Extol, etc....

Although alot of that I have a hard time understanding, I would rather a kid listen to a band that is christian and has positive lyrics then someone like Marilyn Manson, who is nothing more than a cheap ripoff of Alice Cooper. (Who by the way is a christian now)

Although they are not death metal but very hardcore, two of my favorites are http://demonhunter.net/ecard/player.php and http://www.powerjams.com/music.php
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Lifer

Smile Christian Music

I like alot of the new bands (12 Stones, Kutless), But I love the old school stuff more- Stryper, Bloodgood, Barren Cross. I used to do photograpy on the side and did alot of concert pics. when they came to town. <------ old hippie

Mopar63
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 01:03 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Thumbs up Re: Christian Music

Quote:
Originally posted by mopar63
I like alot of the new bands (12 Stones, Kutless), But I love the old school stuff more- Stryper, Bloodgood, Barren Cross. I used to do photograpy on the side and did alot of concert pics. when they came to town. <------ old hippie

Mopar63
I went ans saw Stryper last November when they were in FTW. It was probably the best show I have been to in years. For a bunch of 40 year olds they can still rock like no other.

I still like ol skool bands like X-sinner, Deliverance, Holy Soilder, Shout, and Whitecross. But when you are old as dirt like we are, it is hard to not like good ol 80's rock.

Last edited by MoonDog; 05-23-2004 at 01:07 PM.
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 10:23 AM
Now Coupeless

Quote:
Originally posted by dallasstars281
blindslide rocks!!!!
You got that right!

If any of you guys ever want to see concerts The Door in has alot of great Local bands and some more popular bands Like Stavesacre and Embodyment.

96 Jeep Cherokee
[email protected]

Last edited by Mosephus; 05-24-2004 at 10:29 AM.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 10:40 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate
You got that right!

If any of you guys ever want to see concerts The Door in has alot of great Local bands and some more popular bands Like Stavesacre and Embodyment.
I have been there alot. Nice little club. I think my last concert there was Skillet back in March or April.

http://www.thedoorclubs.com
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 01:25 PM
P1

i dont know if anyone posted this band or not....its a local band called The Broadcast. I worked with the lead singer's dad....its pretty cool i got it in my CD changer in the car nnow
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 02:45 PM
Keep jocking

Kirk Franklin is a joke!
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 02:45 PM
Foxbody King

lol fags

2003 cobra DSG
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 04:09 PM
P1

dude i listen other music too, maybe a little holy ghost might help you
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 06:36 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteboy
lol fags
When was the last time you posted anything even slightly intellegent?

I am sure you have never listened to anything we do so you really have no idea what the music is like. Yet you come in here and make a blind statement like that proving how stupid you really are.

Out of curiosity, what groups do you listen to Jeremy?
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 08:55 AM
Keep jocking

He loves Hillary Duff! He told me that 2 days ago.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 09:36 AM
Foxbody King

SHE'S MY FAVORITE!!

2003 cobra DSG
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 07:29 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteboy
SHE'S MY FAVORITE!!
I didn't think I would get a straight answer from you.
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 01:04 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
I didn't think I would get a straight answer from you.
Look at MoonDog bustin' out the double entendres

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 02:09 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
Look at MoonDog bustin' out the double entendres
HA! I didn't think of that, thats funny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement