I learned something new. - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
TWIN SPINNER
 
Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At Work
Posts: 3,208
I learned something new.

The sign that was hung above Jesus head during his crucifixion had written on it Jesus of Nazareth and King of the Jews. It was written in 3 languages, Hebrew, Greek and Latin. When you take the first letter of each of the Hebrew words you get the anagram Y H W H. Isn't that awesome! I never realized that before.
That is surely why the Jewish priest ask Pilate to take the sign down.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
Josh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
TWIN SPINNER
 
Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At Work
Posts: 3,208
One more thing that make this even more interesting is this; when the Jewish people brought their blood sacrifices to the temple to be slain the name of the one offering the sacrifice would be hung on a sign around the neck of that sacrifice. IOW, if I were to bring a lamb to be slain the lamb would have a sign around its neck with Josh written on it. You see where I am going with this? Jesus, the Lamb of God, also had a sign with the name of one who gave him up for a sacrifice. YHWH, GOD Almighty.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
Josh is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 06:14 AM
Saved by Grace
 
72Comet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 870
Pretty cool, thanks Josh
72Comet is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
TWIN SPINNER
 
Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At Work
Posts: 3,208
Another thing that I found out yesterday was this; alot of people know that Mt Moriah, where Abraham took Isaac to be sacrificed, is likely the same spot as Calvary where Jesus was crucified. But what I found fascinating is that the peak elevation of Mt. Calvary is 777 meters above sea level. Pretty odd that it happens to be 777, no?

Ref.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
Josh is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
TWIN SPINNER
 
Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At Work
Posts: 3,208
Hmmm. I just found this out too. Bethlehem also sits at 777 meters above sea level.

Ref.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
Josh is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 08:30 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 421
Josh,

I get a kick out of you and your enthusiasm...praise the lord!
four5.0snomore is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
TWIN SPINNER
 
Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At Work
Posts: 3,208
Thanks It's like it just becomes more real to me everyday. The LORD is amazing.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
Josh is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 10:52 AM
98 SVT Cobra
 
MoonDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Central IL
Posts: 5,109
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh
The sign that was hung above Jesus head during his crucifixion had written on it Jesus of Nazareth and King of the Jews. It was written in 3 languages, Hebrew, Greek and Latin. When you take the first letter of each of the Hebrew words you get the anagram Y H W H. Isn't that awesome! I never realized that before.
That is surely why the Jewish priest ask Pilate to take the sign down.
This I knew.
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh
One more thing that make this even more interesting is this; when the Jewish people brought their blood sacrifices to the temple to be slain the name of the one offering the sacrifice would be hung on a sign around the neck of that sacrifice. IOW, if I were to bring a lamb to be slain the lamb would have a sign around its neck with Josh written on it. You see where I am going with this? Jesus, the Lamb of God, also had a sign with the name of one who gave him up for a sacrifice. YHWH, GOD Almighty.
But this I didn't know. Very interesting.
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh
Another thing that I found out yesterday was this; alot of people know that Mt Moriah, where Abraham took Isaac to be sacrificed, is likely the same spot as Calvary where Jesus was crucified.
This I knew.
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh
But what I found fascinating is that the peak elevation of Mt. Calvary is 777 meters above sea level. Pretty odd that it happens to be 777, no?

Ref.
But this I didn't know.
MoonDog is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 11:56 AM
Small Fry
 
breadfan35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The Keebler Tree
Posts: 10,287
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh
One more thing that make this even more interesting is this; when the Jewish people brought their blood sacrifices to the temple to be slain the name of the one offering the sacrifice would be hung on a sign around the neck of that sacrifice. IOW, if I were to bring a lamb to be slain the lamb would have a sign around its neck with Josh written on it. You see where I am going with this? Jesus, the Lamb of God, also had a sign with the name of one who gave him up for a sacrifice. YHWH, GOD Almighty.
This is cool stuff. I was wondering where you got this information about the sign with the owner's name. I'm not saying it is false, I just want to know where you went to learn this, or who told you.
breadfan35 is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
TWIN SPINNER
 
Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At Work
Posts: 3,208
There is a host of programs that are very very interesting at www.khouse.org The guys name is Chuck Missler and he has got to be one of the best Bible teachers I've ever listened too. He is the one I got the elevation from and the first bit of YHWH information. The second part about the sign hung about the neck of the sacrifice and the elevation of Bethlehem were both found by doing general Google searches.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
Josh is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
TWIN SPINNER
 
Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At Work
Posts: 3,208
Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog
This I knew.

But this I didn't know. Very interesting.

This I knew.

But this I didn't know.
Oh you think that is good huh? Just wait until I translate the first ten names of the geneologies for you! That will blow you away! I've got to do little more background research on what I've learned first before I present it. I can tell you though it is absolutely amazing!
Josh is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
TWIN SPINNER
 
Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At Work
Posts: 3,208
Okay follow me on this one,
When we follow the lineage from Adam through Noah in Genesis chapter 5 we find the following names. Adam-Seth-Enos-Cainan-Mahalaleel-Jared-Enoch-Methuselah-Lamech-Noah. It is nothing new that the names of people mentioned in the Bible always carried special meaning, i.e. we all are familiar with Emmanuel meaning “God with us”. So when you translate the names of the line of Adam you find something very special.

Adam: man (also inherent in word Adam is word image or shadow, because he was the image or of the second Adam [Christ] who was to come.)

Seth: appointed

Enos: mortal, (or it can mean frail or melancholy)

Cainan: sorrow (or habitation / dwelling place)

Mahalaleel: the blessed God (or the praise of God)

Jared: come down (or descend)

Enoch: teaching

Methuseleh: His death shall bring ( He was named such by Enoch who prophesied that at the death of Methuselah the Great Flood would begin as it did.)

Lamech: despairing (or captive / slaves)

Noah: comfort (or rest)

So now let’s string this line of names together and read them not in Hebrew but in English, and read them in the form of a sentence.

Man – (is) appointed – mortal – sorrow (but)
the blessed God (shall) – come down – teaching – (that) His death shall bring – (the) despairing – comfort.


Now does that not sound a bit too familiar? How about a lot familiar? It is the Gospel of Jesus Christ revealed in the first 5 chapters of Genesis! To put it like Chuck Missler, “There is no way you’ll ever convince me that a group of Jewish Rabbis contrived to hide the Christian gospel in a genealogy in the Torah.”


Ref.
Ref.
Ref.
Josh is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 07:51 AM
Hero in a half shell
 
Fobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Richmond Tx
Posts: 2,584
whats YHWH?

Fobra is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
TWIN SPINNER
 
Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At Work
Posts: 3,208
YHWH is GOD's name. Literally it means "I am that I am". When it is transliterated into english it is pronounced Jehovah.
We first learn God's name when God speaks to Moses from the burning bush. Moses asks God, when I go to Egypt whom shall I say sent me? Tell them I am sent you.

I just think it is awesome that not only does the sign above Jesus' head read "Jesus of Nazareth King of the Jews" but it also read Jehovah (or GOD ALMIGHTY)

Last edited by Josh; 04-23-2004 at 08:00 AM.
Josh is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 01:49 PM
98 SVT Cobra
 
MoonDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Central IL
Posts: 5,109
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh
Okay follow me on this one,
When we follow the lineage from Adam through Noah in Genesis chapter 5 we find the following names. Adam-Seth-Enos-Cainan-Mahalaleel-Jared-Enoch-Methuselah-Lamech-Noah. It is nothing new that the names of people mentioned in the Bible always carried special meaning, i.e. we all are familiar with Emmanuel meaning “God with us”. So when you translate the names of the line of Adam you find something very special.

Adam: man (also inherent in word Adam is word image or shadow, because he was the image or of the second Adam [Christ] who was to come.)

Seth: appointed

Enos: mortal, (or it can mean frail or melancholy)

Cainan: sorrow (or habitation / dwelling place)

Mahalaleel: the blessed God (or the praise of God)

Jared: come down (or descend)

Enoch: teaching

Methuseleh: His death shall bring ( He was named such by Enoch who prophesied that at the death of Methuselah the Great Flood would begin as it did.)

Lamech: despairing (or captive / slaves)

Noah: comfort (or rest)

So now let’s string this line of names together and read them not in Hebrew but in English, and read them in the form of a sentence.

Man – (is) appointed – mortal – sorrow (but)
the blessed God (shall) – come down – teaching – (that) His death shall bring – (the) despairing – comfort.


Now does that not sound a bit too familiar? How about a lot familiar? It is the Gospel of Jesus Christ revealed in the first 5 chapters of Genesis! To put it like Chuck Missler, “There is no way you’ll ever convince me that a group of Jewish Rabbis contrived to hide the Christian gospel in a genealogy in the Torah.”


Ref.
Ref.
Ref.
Dont mean to sound like a smarty pants but would you believe that I have heard this before? I forget where it was that I first heard it but it is very amazing none the less.

My wife and I had done a study on Genisis many years ago and a person can find alot of very interesting things contained in there when you translate the original text.
MoonDog is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
TWIN SPINNER
 
Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At Work
Posts: 3,208
Hmmm. Let's see....do you know about the 69th week of Daniel and how precisely Daniel names the date of the Messiah's death?
Josh is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 08:14 AM
98 SVT Cobra
 
MoonDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Central IL
Posts: 5,109
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh
Hmmm. Let's see....do you know about the 69th week of Daniel and how precisely Daniel names the date of the Messiah's death?
ummm, explain. I used to study prophecy quite a bit. Are you talking about Daniel 9:24-26?
MoonDog is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
TWIN SPINNER
 
Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At Work
Posts: 3,208
Well first let me correct myself. Daniel did not predict the date of Jesus' crucifixion. Rather he predicted Jesus' triumphal entry in Jerusalem, when Jesus presented himself as King.

I did not write the following and I will not attempt to praphrase. I will leave a reference at the bottom.

Quote:
Daniel, originally deported as a teenager (now near the end of the Babylonian captivity), was reading in the Book of Jeremiah. He understood that the seventy years of servitude were almost over and he began to pray for his people.

The Angel Gabriel interrupted Daniel's prayer and gave him a four-verse prophecy that is unquestionably the most remarkable passage in the entire Bible: Daniel 9:24-27.

These four verses include the following segments:

9:24The Scope of the entire prophecy;
9:25The 69 Weeks;
9:26An Interval between the 69th and 70th Week;
9:27The 70th Week.

The Scope

9 "Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy Place."

The idiom of a "week" of years was common in Israel as a "sabbath for the land," in which the land was to lie fallow every seventh year.

It was their failure to obey these laws that led to God sending them into captivity under the Babylonians.

When did the Messiah present Himself as a King? On one specific day, Jesus arranges it!

Note that the focus of this passage is upon "thy people and upon thy holy city," that is, upon Israel and Jerusalem. (It is not directed to the church.)

The scope of this prophecy includes a broad list of things which clearly have yet to be completed.

The First 69 Weeks

A very specific prediction occurs in verse 25:

9:25: "Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times."

This includes a mathematical prophecy. The Jewish (and Babylonian) calendars used a 360-day year; 69 weeks of 360-day years totals 173,880 days.

In effect, Gabriel told Daniel that the interval between the commandment to rebuild Jerusalem until the presentation of the Messiah as King would be 173,880 days.

The "Messiah the Prince" in the King James translation is actually the Meshiach Nagid, "The Messiah the King." (Nagid is first used of King Saul.)

Bull's Eye!

The commandment to restore and build Jerusalem was given by Artaxerxes Longimanus on March 14, 445 b.c. (The emphasis in the verse on "the street" and "the wall" was to avoid confusion with other earlier mandates confined to rebuilding the Temple.)

But when did the Messiah present Himself as a King? During the ministry of Jesus Christ there were several occasions in which the people attempted to promote Him as king, but He carefully avoided it. "Mine hour is not yet come."

The Triumphal Entry

Then one day He meticulously arranges it. On this particular day he rode into the city of Jerusalem riding on a donkey, deliberately fulfilling a prophecy by Zechariah that the Messiah would present Himself as king in just that way:

"Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass."

Zechariah 9:9

Whenever we might easily miss the significance of what was going on, the Pharisees come to our rescue. They felt that the overzealous crowd was blaspheming, proclaiming Jesus as the Messiah the King. However, Jesus endorsed it!

"I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out."

Luke 19:40

This is the only occasion that Jesus presented Himself as King. It occurred on April 6, 32 a.d.

The Precision of Prophecy

When we examine the period between March 14, 445 b.c. and April 6, 32 a.d., and correct for leap years, we discover that it is 173,880 days exactly, to the very day!

How could Daniel have known this in advance? How could anyone have contrived to have this detailed prediction documented over three centuries in advance?
AMAZING STUFF, huh.


Ref.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
Josh is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 02:10 PM
98 SVT Cobra
 
MoonDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Central IL
Posts: 5,109
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh
Well first let me correct myself. Daniel did not predict the date of Jesus' crucifixion. Rather he predicted Jesus' triumphal entry in Jerusalem, when Jesus presented himself as King.

I did not write the following and I will not attempt to praphrase. I will leave a reference at the bottom.



AMAZING STUFF, huh.


Ref.
Yeah, that sound about right from what I remember. What I find truely amazing though is that even though it is clearly spelled out in the OT when the Messiah will come, the Jewish people still dont believe it. Or maybe they dont want to believe it.
MoonDog is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
TWIN SPINNER
 
Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At Work
Posts: 3,208
Or why people in general don't believe. It is just so clear that there is no way any of this could have been just made up.
Josh is offline  
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 02:39 PM
98 SVT Cobra
 
MoonDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Central IL
Posts: 5,109
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh
Or why people in general don't believe. It is just so clear that there is no way any of this could have been just made up.
Yeah, its pretty sad that people cant understand nor see the truth when it is right infront of them. Here is a quote from me that I posted in "Can you believe in evolution" thread where I mentioned to the Daniel prophecy. Although my years slightly differ from yours, the truth still remains.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawse771
Once again all you did was repeat yourself instead of answering my question..How is your religion more right then Jews..? How about the muslims..they have religious artifacts and stories that date back just as far as christians so how are they wrong and ours right?
I wasn't merely repeating myself, I was clarifying your statements.

How is MY relationship with God more right then Jews..? How about the muslims..? I will tell you. The prophetic word that is written thoughout the OT. There are hundreds of prophetic passages in the OT dealing with the Messiah, who He is, where He will live, what He will do, even when He will come. HUH? When He will come? Thats right. In Daniel 9:25-27 it says that God has determined 490 years for His people "to finish the transgression". It goes on to say that from the rebuilding of Jerusalem unto the Messiah will be 483 years. A decree was issued in 457 BC, to rebuild Jerusalem, this is the starting point for the 483 years and goes to 27AD, the very year Jesus began His ministry.

So we KNOW that Jesus is the Messiah through Gods prophetic word. Now in the NT it says in Ephesians 2:8-9 that it is by grace that we are saved and not by works. If we are not saved by doing good deeds but instead by the grace of God, how does Jesus being the Messiah come into play?

1 Timothy 2:5 says that there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus. Romans 10:9 says that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

It is by grace through Jesus Christ that God saves us. John 3:16 God loved us so much that He allowed His Son to die for us that if we would only believe in Him that would would not die but live eternally with Him.
MoonDog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome