haha must suck to be you guys - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

haha must suck to be you guys

seriously, how can u go on beleiving all that crap? the bible is fiction people. but i guess most of u like believing there is a point to your life other than dying. you do realize that is all you get out of life right? you live so that one day you can die. thats pretty much it. no heaven, no hell, no ever merciful god. on to that whole merciful and all caring bs, now thats a load of crap if i ever heard one. anyone notice how in the bible it mentions god being one vengeful mother? i believe he sent spirits into peoples bodies and called down some massive flood as well.

In all honesty all religions are made by us. they only have any power because we choose to give them power. thats about it, look at the other religions that came before us, the romans, egyptians, mormons, all of them dont exist anymore, why? bc we realized how full of crap they are. basically those that believe feel the need to explain things they cant understand or refuse to understand.

edited for bad word

Last edited by Monsoon X; 04-16-2004 at 06:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 06:07 AM
Saved by Grace

You could be right.
post #3 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 06:31 AM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Re: haha must suck to be you guys

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SilverGT
basically those that believe feel the need to explain things they cant understand or refuse to understand.
I am sorry that you feel that way. If you think that people believe because they ignorant, then you know very little yourself. It has not been ignorance that has brought me seeking god, but just the opposite. I know many intelligent people where I work. Most of them believe in something more than their self-centered existence.

post #4 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 06:32 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
seriously, how can u go on beleiving all that crap? the bible is fiction people. but i guess most of u like believing there is a point to your life other than dying. you do realize that is all you get out of life right? you live so that one day you can die. thats pretty much it. no heaven, no hell, no ever merciful god. on to that whole merciful and all caring bs, now thats a load of crap if i ever heard one. anyone notice how in the bible it mentions god being one vengeful mother? i believe he sent spirits into peoples bodies and called down some massive flood as well.

In all honesty all religions are made by us. they only have any power because we choose to give them power. thats about it, look at the other religions that came before us, the romans, egyptians, mormons, all of them dont exist anymore, why? bc we realized how full of crap they are. basically those that believe feel the need to explain things they cant understand or refuse to understand.

edited for bad word
How can u go on believing that crap? The bible is not fiction man. But I guess you like believing there is no point to your worthless life other than dying. You do realize that God made us and we are here to serve him, right? You live so that one day you can believe that Jesus is your Lord and Saviour so that one day you can go to live with Him forever. Or you can not accept Him and live in eternal torment. That's pretty much it, Heaven or Hell, which do you choose? On to that whole merciful and caring BC. God is very merciful! Just the fact that you can blaspheme Him and not die immediately is a testament to that fact. The fact that he is waiting for you to see past your own hardness and recognize His works is another. But God is vengeful! I know that. Christians know that. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling himself. So you make the choice. Heaven or Hell

"Religions" ARE made by us. Yes this is true. God did not organize a "religion" when he painted the world and created us. He had a relationship with a few people. That's it. He used that foundation to lay up a legacy of dealing with His chosen people. First the Israelites and ,through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, now us Gentiles. God was here first.

You got served! LOL

post #5 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 06:56 AM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Re: Re: haha must suck to be you guys

Quote:
Originally posted by Monsoon X
You got served! LOL
Do you always have to use both barrels, whether a bear or mosquito?
post #6 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 07:16 AM
Hero in a half shell

Quote:

edited for bad word
actually if you do a little research, you will find that there is evidence of today that supports the bible

post #7 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 08:17 AM
TWIN SPINNER

Quote:
Originally posted by x_redhotcobra_x
actually if you do a little research, you will find that there is evidence of today that supports the bible
Far too much to be ignored.

It really boggles my mind that people like 1994SilverGT are so quick to make these assumptions. They are foundless. The only reason they refuse to see the truth is that it frees thier conscience to indulge in what ever sin suits their fancy. If there is no God than there is no moral truth.
You owe it to yourself 1994SilverGT to at least research this a bit more. This is the most important decison you will ever make so don't scoff at it. Be truthfull with yourself now; you have never sought the truth have you, you're really not sure are you whether He exists or not. Prove it to yourself.
post #8 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 09:43 AM

Quote:
thats about it, look at the other religions that came before us, the romans, egyptians, mormons, all of them dont exist anymore
Obviously he hasn't done much looking in to any religion. Last time I checked these"religions" were still thriving. Mormons have over 9 million members worldwide. Anyways, there is One true God, the "religions" or "cults" don't cut it. Jesus Christ is THE way!
post #9 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 09:52 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
seriously, how can u go on beleiving all that crap? the bible is fiction people.
What kind of proof do you have to back up this statement? Come on, if you want us to believe the way you do then show us some of your proof that God does not exist and the Bible is nothing more than a fictitious novel. Make me into a believer, I dare you.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #10 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

lol mormons, yea let me tell thats a great religion, i know one day ill go start my own religion...why bc i feel like it, thats pretty much how mormonism got started. as for not doing any reaerch whatever, doesnt matter what "proof or logic" i use you guys wouldnt even consider what i say. i know how arguing with religious people goes. no matter what i say you just say well this is how it is...bc the bible says so...and by the way just because their is proof some events in the bible happened and some of those people might be real...doesnt actually mean that their is a god, or that their was a god's son.

95' Red Mustang GT.

Slow.
post #11 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 11:28 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Yeah, thats what I thought. People just love to come in here and make their heathen statements claiming there is no God. But when called on the carpet about these statements they can offer no proof.

How does it feel to not really know what to believe and have no real purpose for your life? Is it lonely?

Last edited by MoonDog; 04-16-2004 at 11:31 AM.
post #12 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

lonely? no im good.

so you are saying that u would not only read my reasoning if i were to post it, but you would actually use logic to look at it? bc if u say that then u are not a true believer, if u doubt then u dont beleive in god with all your heart and so if i am attempting to explain to someone who really does believe then their is no point at all. why bother all your gonna do in the end is say the same things over and over again

95' Red Mustang GT.

Slow.
post #13 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 11:40 AM
Boost is Good

Quote:

edited for bad word
4 words, "The Case for Christ". Maybe you could take a few pointers from a use-to-be fellow athiest

Stand by or fight while Obama wages his war against capitalism...
post #14 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 11:44 AM
Boost is Good

post #15 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 12:05 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
lonely? no im good.

so you are saying that u would not only read my reasoning if i were to post it, but you would actually use logic to look at it? bc if u say that then u are not a true believer, if u doubt then u dont beleive in god with all your heart and so if i am attempting to explain to someone who really does believe then their is no point at all. why bother all your gonna do in the end is say the same things over and over again
He's skeered. Yall quit bashing on the poor heathen. Don't stoop to his level, he doesn't want to have an intelligent conversation.
post #16 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 12:50 PM

Quote:
lonely? no im good.

Are you 10 years old? I figured the 1994 in your user name could not mean that you have a 10 year old Mustang, but that you must be 10 years old yourself. You post, then you are asked to provide basis for your post, and chose not to. Instead posting an even more ignorant remark full of spelling erros and flawed logic. Kind of like what a 10 year old would do...Post something worthwhile and contribute, or go play with your legos after you eat your after school snack. Thanks!
post #17 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 04:52 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by 281R
Excellent book. Really opened up my eyes to a lot of things.
post #18 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 06:03 PM
The Big Matt

why does it bother you so much what "they" believe.

it's their choice
post #19 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 07:35 PM
Hero in a half shell

Quote:
4 words, "The Case for Christ". Maybe you could take a few pointers from a use-to-be fellow athiest
i have been agnostic for about 3 years untill i saw "the passion of the christ." that pretty much changed me. i'm still working on the change, its not easy.

post #20 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 08:18 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Re: Re: Re: haha must suck to be you guys

Quote:
lonely? no im good.

I am always willing to listen to someone who can provide proof for their statements and what they believe. I can be as open-minded as anyone.
Quote:
i have been agnostic for about 3 years untill i saw "the passion of the christ." that pretty much changed me. i'm still working on the change, its not easy.
Thats awesome dude.
post #21 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 12:01 AM
Hero in a half shell

Re: Re: Re: Re: haha must suck to be you guys

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog

Thats awesome dude.
all i can say is that there seems to be this "war" going on inside me, oneside wants to stay with my old ways, which actually were not that bad, i just never believed and the other side is fighting to believe. its like the secular vs. traditionalist culture war inside me.

post #22 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 06:19 AM
Saved by Grace

Theres a war going on in most of us. The war between the flesh and spirit. I can't imagine life without faith, now that sucked.
post #23 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 09:45 AM
not exclude

Now, let me preface myself: In now way am I trying to side with this guy's antiintellectual and offensive approach, but...

What it really boils down to is which side you put your faith into. Yes, both sides require faith of a sort. Just, in the scientific community it is not called "faith" but instead theory. There is not enough evidence for either side to prove their case, and who knows if their ever will be. I feel right as an atheist, it suits my body and mind. But no matter what side you are on, you have to admit that you could be wrong. You might not think you are, that's fine, but it's very possible that you are.

I do believe that the Bible is fiction. A wonderful book of meaning, to Christians and non-Christians alike, but hardly a history text. And you will notice that certain divisions of Christian doctrine do agree that (atleast the OT) is a book of story.

-Dan (Daoist)
post #24 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 09:50 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by exlude
Now, let me preface myself: In now way am I trying to side with this guy's antiintellectual and offensive approach, but...

What it really boils down to is which side you put your faith into. Yes, both sides require faith of a sort. Just, in the scientific community it is not called "faith" but instead theory. There is not enough evidence for either side to prove their case, and who knows if their ever will be. I feel right as an atheist, it suits my body and mind. But no matter what side you are on, you have to admit that you could be wrong. You might not think you are, that's fine, but it's very possible that you are.

I do believe that the Bible is fiction. A wonderful book of meaning, to Christians and non-Christians alike, but hardly a history text. And you will notice that certain divisions of Christian doctrine do agree that (atleast the OT) is a book of story.

-Dan (Daoist)
excellent post
post #25 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Good to hear - keep us posted!

Lee
post #26 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 10:22 AM

Quote:

-Dan (Daoist)
Why would I have to admit I could be wrong when Jesus Christ changed my life...explain this to me. Doaism doesn't give life, but Jesus Christ does and He gave me life. No one can take it from me nor tell me I could be wrong. It is something I know.

Dan - what is your background and where did you grow up? How did you beome interested in Daoism? In your words, explain what Daoism is...

Lee
post #27 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 10:42 AM
not exclude

In this case there is "know" and know. You "know" something because you feel soooo strongly about it that, in your own mind, there is nothing to argue against it.

But to actually know something you would have to have some bullet proof evidence, which neither side has. I'm sure you feel very powerful about how Jesus has influence your life, but that's what it is...a feeling, not necessarily actual knowledge. This gets real tricky when dealing with spiritual beings...

Anyway, most of my family is from South Carolina...mostly Methodist. I was born in raised in Dallas as a Presbyterian. Left that in search of my own answers as a self declared atheist. Found an explanation through Daoism that still suited my atheism.

Daoism has several interpretations (and not all are atheist), but modern Daoism is mostly atheist and stems from Japan. What Daoists believe is that there is a certain order to this world, a higher order of sorts. Now, this order (in my mind) is not to be confused with spiritual influence. Most of us know my order as laws of physics, relativity, and mostly circumstance. It's a very personalized and Westernized version of the religion, but it suits me. And as wacky as some people may deem me, I very much enjoy nature and rock gardens...and just sitting with myself or my girlfriend, in light meditation/reflection.

Last edited by exlude; 04-17-2004 at 10:46 AM.
post #28 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 10:45 AM
not exclude

By the way, let me draw a fine line right now:

I believe I could fully believe in something while admitting I might be wrong. I accept the human mind's fallibility and go with it. By admitting you could be wrong you are in no way saying that what you believe is not what is true, you are just embracing the fallibility of the human mind and it's limited actual knowledge.
post #29 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 02:04 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
In this case there is "know" and know. You "know" something because you feel soooo strongly about it that, in your own mind, there is nothing to argue against it.

But to actually know something you would have to have some bullet proof evidence, which neither side has. I'm sure you feel very powerful about how Jesus has influence your life, but that's what it is...a feeling, not necessarily actual knowledge. This gets real tricky when dealing with spiritual beings...

Anyway, most of my family is from South Carolina...mostly Methodist. I was born in raised in Dallas as a Presbyterian. Left that in search of my own answers as a self declared atheist. Found an explanation through Daoism that still suited my atheism.

Daoism has several interpretations (and not all are atheist), but modern Daoism is mostly atheist and stems from Japan. What Daoists believe is that there is a certain order to this world, a higher order of sorts. Now, this order (in my mind) is not to be confused with spiritual influence. Most of us know my order as laws of physics, relativity, and mostly circumstance. It's a very personalized and Westernized version of the religion, but it suits me. And as wacky as some people may deem me, I very much enjoy nature and rock gardens...and just sitting with myself or my girlfriend, in light meditation/reflection.
Ok Dan, I do not know much at all about Daoism, I believe though that is is very similar to Taoism which has a background in sorcery, alchemy, divination and magic.

My question to you is, since I dont know alot about it, when you die what happens? Do you cease to exist, move on to a greater consciousness, reincarnation?

Randy
post #30 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 03:34 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Ok Dan, I do not know much at all about Daoism, I believe though that is is very similar to Taoism which has a background in sorcery, alchemy, divination and magic.

My question to you is, since I dont know alot about it, when you die what happens? Do you cease to exist, move on to a greater consciousness, reincarnation?

Randy
Daoism is Taoism, just a different spelling :P . It definetely has roots in ancient Eastern beliefs of divination and polytheism, which tend to be associated with ancient sorcery (I don't think so about alchemy though). But those are simply roots and not at all what I believe in.

As for post-mordem experience:
It really depends on what "version" you believe, lol. What I believe is more related to the African "circle of life" than anything else. Again relating to such a greater order or balance to the world and nature. (This is the more common belief.)

Some Daoist belive in reincarnation. Fewer believe in the transformation to a god like state, or being a follower of certain god's in the afterlife. The most common practice of Daoism today is atheism, with a strong connection to the order and cycle of nature. However, there are few who remain and practice the polytheistic beliefs.
post #31 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 03:44 PM
not exclude

I will create another thread for the discussion of Daoism, I really don't think it fits under this title
post #32 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 05:59 PM
Time Served

Why would I have to admit I could be wrong when Jesus Christ changed my life...explain this to me

Super. Excellent. Fine. Homer Simpson changed mine (I now say "doh!").

Your behavior, your personal views, even your physical image can be changed by many entities (physical, spiritual, or imaginary). Sun Tzu is a man I never met, but I did read a translation of something he wrote and, be it small, changed my life. My point is this: For better or worse, everything "changes" your life.
post #33 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 10:29 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by bhoffman67

Why would I have to admit I could be wrong when Jesus Christ changed my life...explain this to me
I think because the facts are, "You" made the changes to your life based on a man said to have died thousands of years ago. Since it is fact he died then and you are alive now it would be hard to conclude he actually changed your life. He or the belief in him may have influenced your chnage thou.

1993 Mustang LE LX - Street Strip(project)
2000 Lightning - Street Strip

post #34 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 01:56 AM
not exclude

N2O explained it pretty well. And we can't be positive Jesus even existed...

So IF Jesus Christ did not really exist, it would be pretty silly to say he changed your life.
post #35 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 02:14 AM
Lifer

Quote:

So IF Jesus Christ did not really exist, it would be pretty silly to say he changed your life.
I used to not believe in Jesus, then one day i met him, and he cut my grass. He does good work and his wife sold tamalas on the corner. And he had a 4x4 trans Am.

post #36 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 07:14 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:

Jesus is the most documented person in history. Dont you think it would be rather ignorant to document someones life if they never existed? And dont you also think that it would be rather ignorant to think a person never existed even though we have history that proves otherwise?
post #37 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 08:17 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally posted by TexasDevilDog
Do you always have to use both barrels, whether a bear or mosquito?

Is one less dangerous than the other?

post #38 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 08:53 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Jesus is the most documented person in history. Dont you think it would be rather ignorant to document someones life if they never existed? And dont you also think that it would be rather ignorant to think a person never existed even though we have history that proves otherwise?
Santa Clause along with many others are documented. Do you belive in Santa Clause simply because it is written that he exist to this day?

post #39 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 11:56 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by N2Otorious
Santa Clause along with many others are documented. Do you belive in Santa Clause simply because it is written that he exist to this day?
Actually, St Nicholas did exist in Turkey and actually did give gifts to children.
post #40 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 12:17 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Actually, St Nicholas did exist in Turkey and actually did give gifts to children.
LOL, RIGHT!!!! now step 2...

It is also documented he travel the world in 1 night giving gifts and stocking full of coal depending on if you were good or bad throughout the year. Now it is easy to believe there was a man named St. Niccholas(Santa Clause), but the hard part is the magical flying raindeers, sliding down chimmenys, the shear number of starts and stops need to comeplete the trip in only a few hours are IMPOSSIBLE.

But because it is documented I should just accept it?

post #41 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 12:34 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by N2Otorious
LOL, RIGHT!!!! now step 2...

It is also documented he travel the world in 1 night giving gifts and stocking full of coal depending on if you were good or bad throughout the year. Now it is easy to believe there was a man named St. Niccholas(Santa Clause), but the hard part is the magical flying raindeers, sliding down chimmenys, the shear number of starts and stops need to comeplete the trip in only a few hours are IMPOSSIBLE.

But because it is documented I should just accept it?
And this documentation about flying reindeers that you are talking about is a childrens book, right?

Besides, you did know that you can go to www.noradsanta.org and track his movements across the globe.
post #42 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

to be honest im not really sure what i believe. do i think there is a "god" up their watching us? no. im sure their are higher beings somewhere out their in the universe. but where we created out of some higher beings whim? doesnt seem very logical to me. and he supposedly is up their watching us, and knows everything, just seems pretty far fetched to me.

and bc i make spelling mistakes i must be 10 years old? way to comment on what i said. doesnt really matter if i make spelling mistakes on the internet. im not ten and you know im not ten. just like you know exactly what the 1994 in my name stands for. but act like u dont all you want.

the way i look at it is, its my life therefore i will think what i want. ive read parts of the bible and it seems to like to contradict itself a lot. and there is the fact that the bible was written by some guys who claim to have hung out with jesus.

95' Red Mustang GT.

Slow.
post #43 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 06:38 PM
not exclude

Quote:
But we don't really have such heavy proof, because if you notice through such documentation...explanations of him change quite extensively.

Jesus could very easily be a more detailed version of how the OT stories are written. You have a good story, of a good man, who very well could have done much of what is written in the NT...was the son of God, maybe not?

Of course, it's all theory, but maybe Jesus was a good man, who did die on the cross for his beliefs. But...(not trying to offend anyone) maybe he was just a bit looney and believed he was the son of God, when he really wasn't. Because, maybe, there is no God.

Just like the OT stories, it is passed down from mouth to mouth, growing more elaborate story by story and consequently further from the truth. Now these stories get popular, so many people know the general theme. It would be very easy for them to put these down in writting and you would see similarities.

Sit several Americans in a room today and ask them about George Washington's crossing the Delaware. Many would tell you of marvelous feat of bravery, as that is a common misconsception. Nevermind the fact that he actually broke a, then modern, law of war NOT to fight on Christmas. Not to get off on a tangent, but you can see how skewed story telling can be...even in more modern times, and even when documented.
post #44 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 08:42 PM
NES Crew

Wink

Religious education is mindless declaration of ignorance, still maintained from its ancient origin by dumb and evil humans.

It has to be true, I read it here.
post #45 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 08:56 PM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Originally posted by kangol
Religious education is mindless declaration of ignorance, still maintained from its ancient origin by dumb and evil humans.

It has to be true, I read it here.
Who ever wrote that site needs to lay off the OE.

post #46 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 09:03 PM
NES Crew

Quote:
Who ever wrote that site needs to lay off the OE.
Yeah he is a racist schizoprenic and needs some stronger meds. But for entertainment value you really can't beat it.
post #47 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 09:54 PM
Lifer

Quote:
And this documentation about flying reindeers that you are talking about is a childrens book, right?

Besides, you did know that you can go to www.noradsanta.org and track his movements across the globe.
Childrens books, Yes.. But that is still doumentation design to make kids believe in something the authors wanted them to believe in.

Along these lines the bible was constructed for the same purpose to make belivers of the masses. An adult book if you will.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are we to belive without proof that God is all knowing, all powerful, and perfect?

post #48 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 01:24 AM
TWIN SPINNER

Quote:
But we don't really have such heavy proof, because if you notice through such documentation...explanations of him change quite extensively.

Jesus could very easily be a more detailed version of how the OT stories are written. You have a good story, of a good man, who very well could have done much of what is written in the NT...was the son of God, maybe not?

Of course, it's all theory, but maybe Jesus was a good man, who did die on the cross for his beliefs. But...(not trying to offend anyone) maybe he was just a bit looney and believed he was the son of God, when he really wasn't. Because, maybe, there is no God.

Just like the OT stories, it is passed down from mouth to mouth, growing more elaborate story by story and consequently further from the truth. Now these stories get popular, so many people know the general theme. It would be very easy for them to put these down in writting and you would see similarities.

Sit several Americans in a room today and ask them about George Washington's crossing the Delaware. Many would tell you of marvelous feat of bravery, as that is a common misconsception. Nevermind the fact that he actually broke a, then modern, law of war NOT to fight on Christmas. Not to get off on a tangent, but you can see how skewed story telling can be...even in more modern times, and even when documented.
Whether you believe Jesus was God or not there are plenty of extra-Biblical writings that speak of Him. It is obsurd to think that He did not exist. If He were just a myth how would you explain the rapid spread of the Christian faith in the 1st century despite the severe persecution of the Jews and Romans? How would thousands of people suddenly believe in Him?

Your anology of the Americans sitting in a room does not stick. The NT was written within about ~60 years of Jesus' resurection and was written by eye witnesses. Contemorary Americans sitting in a room talking about George Washington 230 years after the fact does not come close to a parellel.

BTW,
The passing down of stories through time does not neccessarily corrupt the text.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
post #49 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 08:32 AM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh

BTW,
The passing down of stories through time does not neccessarily corrupt the text.
Wasnt the part of Jesus in the NT written within like 30 years after Jesus's death? Am I correct?

post #50 of 252 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 09:34 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh

BTW,
Really? Explain this contridiction then...

Matt.27:46,50: "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, eli, lama sabachthani?" that is to say, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" ...Jesus, when he cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost."

Luke23:46: "And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, "Father, unto thy hands I commend my spirit:" and having said thus, he gave up the ghost."

John19:30: "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, "It is finished:" and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement