Saying "AMEN ! " in church.... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
I gots famous friends

Question Saying "AMEN ! " in church....

Do you say AMEN ! in church? I went to church today. I go with my Grandma every so often to this Baptist church... and there were about 10 guys that seemed to be the designated AMENers...

Every 2 minutes or so this one guy especially really belts one out. He sits right behind where we always sit.

Most of the time it's in response to a fairly signifcant point being spoken by the minister, but sometimes it's fairly insignificant and he lets go of one, then within 30 seconds, he is impacted by a statement by the minister which provokes an even more enthusiastic AMEN... it comes out HAAAAYMEN ! .

One time this same guy AMENed twice during a trumpet solo during the offering, because in his mind he must have been thinking the words along with the solo, and it got really good to him so he busted on off....

I was going to join in but I got timid and just kinda croaked one out for practice..

When is the proper moment to say a good hearty AMEN ! ?

Should I limit myself at first? I bet if I was on my toes I could say mine in perfect synchronization with the main guy, most of the time.

But, if I did start up, I would want mine to stand alone when no one else was quick enough to slip one in.

What do you guys think? Do you say AMEN at your worship service?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 06:33 PM
98 SVT Cobra

I have said it but not to a point were it may disrupt the service or bother those sitting around me, it is mostly just under my breath or a whisper. I personally feel that I dont need to shout it out because I am not there to impress anyone, God knows what I am thinking or saying to myself and that is all that counts.

Although it really doesn't bother me if someone else says it, but there are those who I feel may go alittle overboard and say it all to often so that it starts to sound like a broken record or are saying it just to impress those around them to make them sound "holy".

It is usually said when a person is in agreement with what is being preached or taught so there really isn't a "proper" time to say it, just whenever you feel moved or led to do so.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 09:46 AM

AMEN

PRAISE THE LORD

BLESS HIS NAME

HALLELUJAH

THANK YOU LORD

HELP US LORD

and the list goes on...I even say some of this stuff in the pulpit!

Lee

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 10:16 AM
Boost is Good

Re: Saying "AMEN ! " in church....

Quote:
Originally posted by 93LXHORSE
Do you say AMEN ! in church? I went to church today. I go with my Grandma every so often to this Baptist church... and there were about 10 guys that seemed to be the designated AMENers...

Every 2 minutes or so this one guy especially really belts one out. He sits right behind where we always sit.

Most of the time it's in response to a fairly signifcant point being spoken by the minister, but sometimes it's fairly insignificant and he lets go of one, then within 30 seconds, he is impacted by a statement by the minister which provokes an even more enthusiastic AMEN... it comes out HAAAAYMEN ! .

One time this same guy AMENed twice during a trumpet solo during the offering, because in his mind he must have been thinking the words along with the solo, and it got really good to him so he busted on off....

I was going to join in but I got timid and just kinda croaked one out for practice..

When is the proper moment to say a good hearty AMEN ! ?

Should I limit myself at first? I bet if I was on my toes I could say mine in perfect synchronization with the main guy, most of the time.

But, if I did start up, I would want mine to stand alone when no one else was quick enough to slip one in.

What do you guys think? Do you say AMEN at your worship service?
Think it is just how the church is. Mine is more formal and only time you hear amen is after a prayer. No one interupts anywhere else with amen.

Stand by or fight while Obama wages his war against capitalism...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 05:49 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Say AMEN when the spirit moves you to do so.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 07:20 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
Originally posted by four5.0snomore
AMEN

PRAISE THE LORD

BLESS HIS NAME

HALLELUJAH

THANK YOU LORD

HELP US LORD

and the list goes on...I even say some of this stuff in the pulpit!

Lee
Ja-eeeees-us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement