Getting back to God? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Wolverines!!!

Getting back to God?

Kind of grew pretty far from God in hs, and became pretty apathetic. I've tried to get back into church, but I never really liked the whole southern Baptist preachings I grew up with. Im not looking for a good church, just a way to get back to the basics. You know the part when ur about 8 and you earnstly talk to God like he's right next to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 07:23 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Re: Getting back to God?

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowLX
Kind of grew pretty far from God in hs, and became pretty apathetic. I've tried to get back into church, but I never really liked the whole southern Baptist preachings I grew up with. Im not looking for a good church, just a way to get back to the basics. You know the part when ur about 8 and you earnstly talk to God like he's right next to you.
I'll tell you what, being in the Corps. and trying to grow closer to God is a hard thing to do. I feel for you. That was probably the one time in my life where I felt the farthest from God.

Being out is 29 Stumps I am sure you have plenty of time on your hands, I know I did, try to find other guys that are also interested in getting a closer relationship with God and start up a weekly bible study. If you want to keep it to yourself for a while then pick up "Purpose Driven Life" read through it and really meditate on what God is trying to teach you everyday. It is divided up into 40 chapters, read one chapter everyday, it should only take 5 minutes. Heck, you should pick that book up anyway. There are also many good christian sites on the internet as well as this forum if you have any questions.

Any one of us here would be glad to help you out in any way we can. JC, Lee, Lance and myself are always in here so give us a shout.

Semper Fi
Randy

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 08:29 AM

Randy had a good suggestion for you to start with and I will offer a couple more.

1. Search your heart and see where you stand with God right now, what sin is in your life, what are your good and bad attitudes, etc...it is like taking an inventory of your life.

2. Make sure through prayer and honest consideration that you have asked Jesus Christ to save you and REALLY meant it.

3. Begin to pray like an "8 year old kid", trusting God will hear you, and ask forgiveness for the sin in your life.

4. If you are truly saved, expect God to both forgive and cleanse you from that sin.

5. Look for a healthy church, not SBC, if you don't like it - this is a must if you want to really grow...

6. Get your hands on an easy translation of the Bible like the NIV, NLT, or Good News Bible and begin reading it even if it is just 5-10 minutes a day. When you read think on those things that you have read and ask the Lord to teach you.

7. Find support (in a church is the best place). If you have a Christian buddy, than ask him to be your accountability partner.

I hope this helps.

Lee

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 10:02 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by four5.0snomore
5. Look for a healthy church, not SBC, if you don't like it - this is a must if you want to really grow...
I would have said that but he said that he wasn't looking for a church. Plus being stationed out in 29 Palms it may be difficult to get out and find a good place to go. There may be some type of chapel services there on base, I dont remember.

Being with like-minded people for accountability is always a good thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement