Time question.. (years AD & BC) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Time question.. (years AD & BC)

when did AD officially start.. and who started counting???

Maybe this question makes no sense.. but when did the year 0 offically start.. and when did people know that it started??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 07:16 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

AD means Anno Domini or "The Year Of The Lord". It is the year of Christ's birth.

CE means Common Era and is refered to as year 0.

The use of AD and BC was invented by Exiguus in 500s AD.

His purpose was to develop a way to calculate Easter.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 07:29 PM
None

Lately I've seen they stopped using AD and BC. I don't remember what it was replaced with though.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 07:49 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by Jedi
Lately I've seen they stopped using AD and BC. I don't remember what it was replaced with though.
Probably CE and BCE.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 09:08 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra
Probably CE and BCE.
Thats probably it, Common Era and Before Common Era.

Just one more example of society wanting to get rid of any reference of God.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 10:14 PM
Hero in a half shell

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog

not all of society, just the damn secularists

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 11:16 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Here is a good link explaining alot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_Domini
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 11:50 PM
Target Practice

Quote:

agreed

White Hot Media
VENUECITY.com
Carmod.net
The Standard Issue <-RIP
SJB 3.29.85-1.24.08
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 06:09 PM
Saint's heart sinner skin

well, that's probably because it's not everyone's god.....not everyone believes in him so you can't say that they should put god into every aspect of our society. just like on our money it says "in god we trust" ....well what about people that don't believe? are they supposed to just ignore that statement? wouldn't it make more sense that it ISN'T on there? that way ppl that believe can still believe and know they trust in god, but non-believers don't have to see it all over the money, court buildings and such. i'm not one of these ppl that thinks the ten commandments should come out of the capitol building here in austin like some are fighting for, i'm just posing a question. i think if anything, it's more fair to everyone the other way around.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 03:58 AM
98 SVT Cobra

I have to disagree with you. I dont see that "In God We Trust" on our money has anything to do with people believing in God or not. Our country was founded on Godly principals and having our money state this is a way of saying so.

I think that if we were to take away every reference of God in our society then we would be no better off then Sodom and Gomorrah.

I further think that if we were to do that then we must also get rid of any and religious statues, businesses, school teachings, ect... including the Pegasus erected in downtown Dallas, since it is a symbol of Greek Mythology which in turn is/was a religion and I am offened by it. Afterall, we cant have anyone at all offended now cant we?

And just for the record, I could really care less if they call it AD or CE. It is commonly known amoung the little people as AD, mainly the secular scientist and archaeologist use CE and BCE.

IMHO

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

So how was each year tracked by people before 500AD... and is this a relgious subject.. or is it not? Is todays year 2004 based on religion? I mean supposedly 2004 years ago was the year Jesus was born right???
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 12:13 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by trey85stang
So how was each year tracked by people before 500AD... and is this a relgious subject.. or is it not? Is todays year 2004 based on religion? I mean supposedly 2004 years ago was the year Jesus was born right???
The current year system that we have is based on the the birth of Jesus 2004 years. Although we know today that He was more than likely born 4 years earlier.

Before our current calendar came into use common calendars used were the solar calendar, lunar calendar, lunisolar calendar. These are still used in the Middle East.

Disclaimer:
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 12:59 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by trey85stang
Before that, there was the Julian Calendar. Before that the Roman Calendar before that Babylonians had one based on astronomical observation.

There was the Egyptian calendar that fit in there some where as well.

We use the Gregorian Calendar these days, which was developed back in the 1500s. It actually skipped forward, I think, 12 days in one day to adjust.

Then England started using it in 1700s, but they shifted it back 12 days.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 02:11 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Although we know today that He was more than likely born 4 years earlier.
What makes you say that?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 06:47 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra
Before that the Roman Calendar...
I believe this is where we get most of our names for the months and days of the week.

Disclaimer:
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 06:50 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by 46Tbird
What makes you say that?
We know that Jesus was born during the reign of Herod. Historical records state that Herod died in 4 BC. Therefore Jesus would have been born no later than 4 BC and maybe as early as 6 BC since Herod sent out a decree to kill all baby boys 2 years old and younger.

Last edited by MoonDog; 03-05-2004 at 06:52 PM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Saint's heart sinner skin

well, as i stated, I PERSONALLY am not for taking down everything because as you stated it would be ridiculous b/c everyone would be b****ing about every little detail being eradicated, HOWEVER....the money isn't stating anything about godly principles, it's about the god that our founding fathers believed in, as did everyone else, almost everyone in that era was afraid of being condemned for not believing in a god, most of the time a socially acceptable god. it still works this way with our presidents. have you seen a single president since mainstream tv came out that has said flat out that he doesn't believe in god? nope, because you can't do that and still be a socially acceptable president.

that being said, i know it won't change any time soon and the money won't be changed so i don't care (i didn't really care to have it changed in the first place). the only point i'm making is that it would be easier to make the argument for non-believers than for believers since it's more offending to have something pushed on you all the time than to not have it present and leave it up for you to pray, believe etc in private or in your own circles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement